Obligatory

Pages PREV 1 2 3

snekadid:
The number of puns in this thread is inexcusable..... We have to nuke this thread from orbit just to be safe.

OT: We all know this comic was just a excuse for cory to draw erin without pants again.

Both are always worthwhile goals. I feel sorry for the mantis here. A female mantis would only eat his head, but Erin would do something worse. What song is that playing on the boombox?

NearLifeExperience:
I think I missed out on something, because I really don't get the joke.

From this thread I've seen the clip from the movie it is referencing, but I still don't get it as well.

Mainly, because if was just that, it isn't funny or saying anything.

Plus, I must have really missed something as well, because people keep mentioning Activision, and Activision wasn't mentioned once in the comic or under it where there is usually a comment of explanation. Seriously and totally lost on this one, right over my head.

Edit: Okay I get it now, I thought I was up to speed on Critical Miss, but apparently I missed the last one.

Sonic Doctor:

NearLifeExperience:
I think I missed out on something, because I really don't get the joke.

From this thread I've seen the clip from the movie it is referencing, but I still don't get it as well.

Mainly, because if was just that, it isn't funny or saying anything.

Plus, I must have really missed something as well, because people keep mentioning Activision, and Activision wasn't mentioned once in the comic or under it where there is usually a comment of explanation. Seriously and totally lost on this one, right over my head.

Annoying, isn't it?

Still trying to piece together how a giant praying mantis, Say Anything, and Activision are related.. Maybe their games are buggy? That would've been a stupid joke and I still don't see how Say Anything fits in. Pffff

Sonic Doctor:

Edit: Okay I get it now, I thought I was up to speed on Critical Miss, but apparently I missed the last one.

I get it now as well and all I have to say is AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

So THESE are are the mantis men Cave Johnson was talking about. Who knew they worked for Activision...

Random Argument Man:

SweetShark:
Ok, I understand the joke, but seriously Activision isn't SO bad company.
In comparison with other companies, Activision is ok.

You obviously weren't around here during 2009-2011. Stick around long enough and there's always a publisher who takes the crown for "douche of the year". It just happens that EA made a very good case for itself lately.

Examples please you can show to me, because I am a lazy bastard?

SweetShark:

Random Argument Man:

SweetShark:
Ok, I understand the joke, but seriously Activision isn't SO bad company.
In comparison with other companies, Activision is ok.

You obviously weren't around here during 2009-2011. Stick around long enough and there's always a publisher who takes the crown for "douche of the year". It just happens that EA made a very good case for itself lately.

Examples please you can show to me, because I am a lazy bastard?

Well, pretty much anything relating to Bobby Kotick. If you need a specific example...http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106177-Activision-Hate-Not-Based-in-Reality-Says-Activision

I, for one, think that Blorkesh should be a recurring character.

Caramel Frappe:
Not sure if it's just me, but the artstyle just went up- like the quality is really splendid (or maybe the shadowing and texture of Erin is what made it appear to look really good to me, movie quality stuff). Ether way, I liked this comic. Even giant mantises are ... . um, people too... .. I think?

THIS. The coloring on Erin in the shadows with highlighted upper outline from window lighting is freakin' awesome! You've come so far from "bro-splosion".

putowtin:

Evil Smurf:
I don't understand the joke.

See: classic coming of age 80's movie "Say Anything"

OT hahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha

(seriously stop making me laugh I've got cracked ribs!)

I guess this is when I say "Ohhhh.. so this is where it came from". I've seen this reenactment of this scene way to much.

So... subtlety placed mantis head on a plate in the background of a panel in the next strip, with no further mention?

Anyone?

Anyone?

I wonder if anyone has actually done this and if it worked.

Hopefully he has better luck than when Stan tried it with Wendy...

And while we're on the subject of evil mantises...

Evil Smurf:
I don't understand the joke.

Did you read the comic before this one? That might help if you didn't already.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10282-Conflict-of-Interest

Clankenbeard:

Caramel Frappe:
Not sure if it's just me, but the artstyle just went up- like the quality is really splendid (or maybe the shadowing and texture of Erin is what made it appear to look really good to me, movie quality stuff). Ether way, I liked this comic. Even giant mantises are ... . um, people too... .. I think?

THIS. The coloring on Erin in the shadows with highlighted upper outline from window lighting is freakin' awesome! You've come so far from "bro-splosion".

Thank you so much! Yea I was really happy with how this one came out, specifically the shading. This was a test run of a slightly different shading technique that I will work on implementing more in the future, though it is still in its infancy.

I'm happy so many people seemed to notice :D

Does anyone else think the poor love struck mantis is just a regular guy that she's turning into a mantis because he works for Activision? I have trouble deciding what's funnier, that situation, or him just being a Mantis and people only care that he works for a bad company as opposed to him being a bro with the alien cockroach from MIB. Anyway the art today was awesome and Erin with the hair down is a welcome switch even if only for one comic. =)

damn it y am i hung up on the fact i can't fathom how that mantis can physically get in his car and drive!

I like how in comments so far Activision is compared to the evil in the 5th Element. Also remeber male preying matis get eatern by the females... if that is a male? and i'm not sure where this logic leads but i feel its important somehow.

I think one might say that Mantis is... *puts on glasses* praying to have Erin back.

Great use of lighting

Darth_Payn:
What song is that playing on the boombox?

Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes," as made famous by the Boombox scene from the movie Say Anything that this strip references.

...You know, I've never actually heard the original. I should probably at some point.

I've seen enough hentai to know where this may be going...

gigastar:

WaitWHAT:
Considering the Mantis' habit of eating its mate and young, I'd give it a miss.

Only females do that. Males are too small to overpower them.

Fun fact, males often let females do it because a female that eats her mate is less likely to mate with another male thus increasing gene expression in the next generation.

WaitWHAT:

Mojo:

WaitWHAT:
Considering the Mantis' habit of eating its mate and young, I'd give it a miss.

Maybe even a critical miss? ... I'm sorry...

Even by regular Escapist pun standards, that was poor...

Liek it matters unless the mantis is female.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here