Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Deadliest Plants

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

The Lugz:
To be honest, poison ivy is the only actual ( real ) deadly plant on the list
and therefore wins.
yes, poison ivy can kill people.. it's rare but it happens.

I agree with the piranha plant, he's annoying.. probably my #1 death in mario
stupid plant grr.

I totally support top 6, top 7, ect, the more the merrier.

that classic mario footage, i totally forgot the old 8 fps era of gaming
( look how slow the screen updates ) te hee.
how did we ever cope O.o

Was the framerate really that bad? My only experience with NES games is from the Virtual Console and such, where the FPS is fine. I had a Master System, though, and the framerate was fine on those games.

The Bulletstorm footage had a low FPS, too, so I thought it was just a video capture issue.

Territorial Oak from Earthbound.

I remember trying to be clever and setting them on fire only to have them burst into flames and explode on me. :(

ScrabbitRabbit:

The Lugz:
To be honest, poison ivy is the only actual ( real ) deadly plant on the list
and therefore wins.
yes, poison ivy can kill people.. it's rare but it happens.

I agree with the piranha plant, he's annoying.. probably my #1 death in mario
stupid plant grr.

I totally support top 6, top 7, ect, the more the merrier.

that classic mario footage, i totally forgot the old 8 fps era of gaming
( look how slow the screen updates ) te hee.
how did we ever cope O.o

Was the framerate really that bad? My only experience with NES games is from the Virtual Console and such, where the FPS is fine. I had a Master System, though, and the framerate was fine on those games.

The Bulletstorm footage had a low FPS, too, so I thought it was just a video capture issue.

i clearly recall my old mario updating slow the physics arc of him jumping looked odd, i don't know what the actual fps was and i have no way to test now, but a quick google comes up with 15-18 depending who you ask
seems legit
so 8 was a tad slow, but the difference between 8 and 16 is fairly small to the eye it's still a slideshow below 30
anyway. i think it was a fair guess :P

The Lugz:

i clearly recall my old mario updating slow the physics arc of him jumping looked odd, i don't know what the actual fps was and i have no way to test now, but a quick google comes up with 15-18 depending who you ask
seems legit
so 8 was a tad slow, but the difference between 8 and 16 is fairly small to the eye it's still a slideshow below 30

Fair enough! Wow, I didn't know the VC emulator enhanced the framerate. Maybe if I went back and played my old Master System games they'd look slow and jerky, too. I remember being surprised at how bad Vagrant Story looked when I went back and played it recently. It didn't diminish my enjoyment too much, but I remembered the game being gorgeous.

ScrabbitRabbit:

The Lugz:

seems legit

Fair enough! Wow, I didn't know the VC emulator enhanced the framerate. Maybe if I went back and played my old Master System games they'd look slow and jerky, too. I remember being surprised at how bad Vagrant Story looked when I went back and played it recently. It didn't diminish my enjoyment too much, but I remembered the game being gorgeous.

modern systems are orders of magnitude faster than old systems, it's likely they just set it to clock-speed on the original systems, i'd guess modern emulators require proper clock timing so they don't run at a thousand times speed or so
( not fps, game speed! ) and they just set an arbitrary fps limit to make it look good
( this will definitely vary per emulation environment. )

yeah, i revisited some playstation2 titles ( tombraider, wipeout, psi-ops ) just recently
and they are noticeably jittery with their frame-rates compared to modern pc games
psi ops actually slows the game down to a crawl when you tk surf and explode barrels
it's kinda funny how we just get used to this stuff.
and the ps2 runs at very acceptable rates in most cases, 20-29 fps is the order of the day.
but it's a joke compared with modern systems
what are we at? 144Hz and 1ms gtg times? that's just shy of 5x quicker

so don't worry, we've all been spoiled by the Uberhd-megafps war it's not just you!

The Cheezy One:
What about the Malboro from the Final Fantasy series? I'm glad that usually they're optional, but they still stink (see what I did there? Stink? Bad breath? I'm wasted here...)!

yeah,
everyone loves it when you've been playing for hours without saving, and then suddenly AMBUSH!: Marlboro, bad breath, evryone confused, everyone dead, and I never even got a chance.
yeah, at least worth a mention I think.

and what about Ochu?

Also, is it just me and my dirty mind, or can half of what Lisa says be interpreted... the wrong way?

seriosly, I'm like "giggity-giggity" half the time

Really comments? The Thorian? But it was super easy, and hardly deadly at all, let alone 'deadliest'.

Not like that insidious pipe dweller who has killed millions.

wetfart:

I remember trying to be clever and setting them on fire only to have them burst into flames and explode on me. :(

Oh Gods. Those...things! I'd forgotten about those and their party-decimating ways. Ack!

The Lugz:

modern systems are orders of magnitude faster than old systems, it's likely they just set it to clock-speed on the original systems, i'd guess modern emulators require proper clock timing so they don't run at a thousand times speed or so
( not fps, game speed! ) and they just set an arbitrary fps limit to make it look good
( this will definitely vary per emulation environment. )

I remember the first time I tried a PS1 emulator. It didn't limit the game speed by default so the game just whizzed by at hyper speed. It chipmunk'd the sound and everything!

yeah, i revisited some playstation2 titles ( tombraider, wipeout, psi-ops ) just recently
and they are noticeably jittery with their frame-rates compared to modern pc games
psi ops actually slows the game down to a crawl when you tk surf and explode barrels

I have Psi-Ops on the original Xbox and PS2. The Xbox version is noticeably smoother, I think the PS2 just wasn't designed for those kind of advanced physics calculations. Stuff like Jak and Daxter and Devil May Cry runs beautifully (and are still kinda pretty, I think, aliasing aside). Honestly, with a nice artstyle and maybe higher internal resolutions and modern lighting I'd be happy with last-gen fidelity. I just couldn't go back to PS1/N64 :']

Speaking of Psi-ops, "Top 5 Telekinesis Users" would be a great list :D

Erm, anyone else think that the minecraft creepers should have been on this list?

I mean there are infinite of them, they sneak up behind you and then blow up your goddamn house.

That's seriously evil, for a bush...

Glad to see the Bulletstorm plant make the list. That fight was pretty crazy. Now I want to play the game again. Good thing it's still installed.

MegaManOfNumbers:
Lisa Foiles in a Poison Ivy dress.

I AM PERFECTLY OKAY WITH THIS.

How could I miss mentioning this?

ScrabbitRabbit:

I have Psi-Ops on the original Xbox and PS2. The Xbox version is noticeably smoother, I think the PS2 just wasn't designed for those kind of advanced physics calculations. Stuff like Jak and Daxter and Devil May Cry runs beautifully (and are still kinda pretty, I think, aliasing aside). Honestly, with a nice artstyle and maybe higher internal resolutions and modern lighting I'd be happy with last-gen fidelity. I just couldn't go back to PS1/N64 :']

Speaking of Psi-ops, "Top 5 Telekinesis Users" would be a great list :D

the original xbox is simply more powerful than the playstation 2
it should be faster at everything, given a similar load

the only reason the playstation was so popular is it had ALL the killer apps at the time.

i guess starkiller would win that one, can't think of many op tk users honestly..
( assuming you class the force as tk, which is blatantly is )

I'd normally try to be above the looks of the host, but Lisa is super cute with redhead and green clothes - it must be enhanced by the fact how funny she is.

Fun fact about the Yoshi's island boss.

If slowly move forward, you can hit it with an egg before the cutscene triggers.

People keep saying the Thorian should be on here, but

1: Have you seen that it? It's an alien plant that in no way resembles plants as we typically assossiate them. I don't care what it scientifically is or isn't according to the game, it's not planty enough.

2. It isn't really all that deadly either, all it does is occasionally give birth to some zombies and wait for you to kill it.

wetfart:

OH GOD THIS!
That son of a birch >:C

On a side note, they explode even if unthreatend by fire *sadpanda*

I lost it at the ASU remark, it's so true! XD

I was gonna question why the piranha plant from Mario wasn't in there, but crisis averted!

What that plant...dragon...thing, you fight in Final Fantasy XII?

It's basically like a Malboro fucked an Ochu and then the Malboro/Ochu spawn went on to fuck a Dragon and then farted out the shitebag you have to fight. And true to it's parentage, it's method of attack?

ALL THE STATUS EFFECTS!.jpg

....Now I can't help but wonder if there's Malboro/Ochu rule 34 stuff out there.
What am I saying? Of course there is.

wetfart:

TJC:

OH GOD THIS!
That son of a birch >:C

On a side note, they explode even if unthreatend by fire *sadpanda*

Sorry, but I have to do this:

http://fobbiesareborange.com/
- Episode 6 (6:07)
(I'd post a direct link but escapist doesn't like the link directly to the MP3)

Exdeath (エクスデス, Ekusudesu?) also known as X-Death, ExDeath, or Exodus is the main antagonist of Final Fantasy V. According to Ghido, despite his knightly appearance, Exdeath was once, and still is to an extent, a tree from the Great Forest of Moore.

He tried to consume the entire world(s) into the Void. He began as a tree, and his pre-final form is a tree. No one ever remembers FFV. :(

The Cheezy One:
What about the Malboro from the Final Fantasy series? I'm glad that usually they're optional, but they still stink (see what I did there? Stink? Bad breath? I'm wasted here...)!

You fight a giant cigarette in Final Fantasy? If that goes anything like real life I'll lose :/

Just feels right to have Lisa back doing her Top 5. Always a pleasure.

No love for the Malboro? Those things are some of the most annoying enemies in Final Fantasy and gaming in general. Seriously, I hate Bad Breath. It was at it's worst in FF8, but it's never a good enemy.

Anyway, great episode and keep 'em coming.

Evil Smurf:
I think this is the best episode yet.

Totally agree. From the intro reminding me of Bill Nye (then seeing a Bill Nye clip) to the ASU burn (Wildcats, baby!) it had it all. Even a twist ending!

Yay the top five as it's meant to be done. Lisa is funny as always. I really didn't like the other guys their lists were poorly chosen and they had no flair, their vids seemed very flat and boring.

Daystar Clarion:
No Thorian from Mass Effect?

Fuck dis shit!

To be fair its not really that deadly.
The plant itself doesn't kill, only controls. Even then it takes a while and you could just fly off planet rather than get controlled, and there's antidote's to its control too. Even after that though the creepers it sends out are rather easy to beat too. You'd always know where they would come from, just sit at the opposite end of the room, making them walk single file through the door, and open fire with an assault rifle. Only hard part was the Asari that knocked you down so you couldn't run away and got nommed, but even she wasn't too bad once you knew she would do that, and cautiously approached each encounter rather than just running headlong into battle.

tangoprime:

Daystar Clarion:

EXACTLY. I was waiting for this, and maybe the contents of Vault 22.
Remember these guys leaping out of nowhere and scaring the hell out of you (unless you had Boone)?

Really surprised at no Thorian mention though.

Fixed the image for you. (also: KILL IT WITH FIRE!)

I always thought of the Thorian to be more of a fungus than a true plant with the whole mind-control spore business. Besides it's boss fight isn't the same league as Poison Ivy's super plant.

Only Lisa can pull off making the number six...the new......number....five =D

How many thousands... nay, millions... nay, nay, billions... nay, TRILLIONS of deaths has piranha plant caused over the years of its existence?

There is no competitions for No1. Every other contender is just a toddler compared to this ancient evil, this reaper of hearts, this ender of jumps, this devourer of italian plumbers.

Bulletstorm was great.

That little plant looks like a different species, so - not cannibalism.

lol, had a feeling that bulletstorms plant will be in there. it sure was a long fight to finally kill it. poison ive,,, oh man, how long it took me until i had this damn plant down. by far the most frustrating plant ever to fight.

you look really really nice in green lisa. good thing my wife dint see it :p

(having watched the end of the video)
So Lisa always answers on Twitter, but never on Escapist, eh? Pity, really.

OMG Lisa why u no choose zetsu from naruto ultimate ninja storm 3 :(
I mean just look at it:

*shudder* Plus he's really hammy :P

The crazy Lisa was back this week and it was welcome :)

I actually liked the choices and even the order, apart from the Bulletstorm one but haven't played it.

Own the goofy fun that was Bulletstorm, Lisa! I totes want that dress... rawr sexy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here