Reel Physics: Speed - CalTrans is Bus-Ted

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Speed - CalTrans is Bus-Ted

Pop quiz hotshot, is a bus able to jump a fifty foot gap? Jason and Colby give us the facts.

Watch Video

This is by far, Jason and I's favorite episode so far. Enjoy!

Colby Dane

Sometimes, there are just no words.
Check out what really happened to cause the bridge to be incomplete in Speed!

As always, if you like it, share it so others can discover our show too. Thanks for checking out the show!

Don't forget, throw out your suggestions for future episodes here in the comments or email us at reelphysics@escapistmag.com so we can see what's on your mind!

Thanks again!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

I see you guys got into construction cosplay now. Nice.

Personally, the worst part is how the front wheels suddenly veer up when they leave the road. I have no problem with an exaggerated jump but the way it just starts to rise has always ruined that scene to me, even as a kid.

Please tell me you guys are going to keep adding "Acting" bits to your show. That was beautiful. Also, you know what this show needs? More random tangents like Bill and Ted!

Moar opening sketches!

Quaxar:

Personally, the worst part is how the front wheels suddenly veer up when they leave the road. I have no problem with an exaggerated jump but the way it just starts to rise has always ruined that scene to me, even as a kid.

Same thing watching the Truck flip in Dark Knight Rises, I can SEE the smoke from the launcher!

Quaxar:

The bus must've been equipped with hydraulics.

That opening was just brilliant! I think this series may be my favourite escapist show now!

This episode is so fake...they didn't have LCD monitors at CalTran in 1994!

But seriously...love the intro. I was thinking about the following suggestion a few days ago, and since you mentioned Neo, and vehicles speeding down the highway in this video I'll suggest it here:

In The Matrix Reload, Morpheus uses a katana to cut through a speeding Cadillac sport utility truck being driven by "the twins." Is this..."Reel Physics?"

That was a great episode and I loved the opening scene! This show gets better every week. Keep it coming!

ColbyDane:
This is by far, Jason and I's favorite episode so far. Enjoy!

Colby Dane

Mine too! Skits are hard to do in a non-groanworthy way, but I was grinning the whole time. :D

ciancon:
That opening was just brilliant! I think this series may be my favourite escapist show now!

If it's not my favourite yet, it's fast approaching it.

I'm racking my brain to come up with some fun scenes to analyse, but nothing's happening...

This was your guys best episode i love watching this series you make maths interesting yet keep up the awesome work

Loved the extra comedy stuff in this one guys, keep it up!

So, basically, this would work in real life if the gap were as wide as he said, and not as wide as it actually was on film.

I can't lodge any complaints about the bus leaping oddly upward considering that the distance was visually exaggerated, and/or reduced in the dialogue into something plausible. The math problem is real but the whole scene was Bay'd up on film to the point where it's nigh unwatchable.

I'm still waiting for the episode on the scene in the tunnels in Die Hard 3 where Bruce Willis rides a truck and grabs a grate while a wall of water passes by... I still believe it's not possible for him to grab it with being dismembered by the force of the running water XD

Definitely best episode so far, loved the opening sketch :) How about trying to find a way for them to escape with the loot at the end of The Italian Job?

tdylan:
This episode is so fake...they didn't have LCD monitors at CalTran in 1994!

But seriously...love the intro.

CalTrans was pretty progressive! They were the first government entity to implement LCD flatscreens after we reverse-engineered them at Area 51!

***The More You Know***

Hello from another member of the 409!

Hahaa, more acting bits like that.

You are acting now? Man, you guys can do EVERYWOODY, I mean EVERYTHING!

Nice one. You guys really need to do more of those acting bits. They are awesome.

canadamus_prime:

Quaxar:

The bus must've been equipped with hydraulics.

If that's so, they surely should've shown it off a bit more.

tdylan:
In The Matrix Reload, Morpheus uses a katana to cut through a speeding Cadillac sport utility truck being driven by "the twins." Is this..."Reel Physics?"

It takes place in the Matrix, so it doesn't have to be, and it doesn't exactly fall into the "jurisdiction" of this show, does it?

I just wanted to commend you guys on how much the show has improved since you started, way back in the dark ages of January I mentioned that the show could use some more visuals.

And since then you guys have really delivered, the animation for the bus was top notch, it really made the show more visually comprehensible and professional looking.

Great use of an increase in budget. The bus animation was delightful.

This episode worked very well, and that opening sketch was perfect. However I must warn against doing more than one per episode or making them too long. Doing that has killed a multitude of other shows.

Too much fun... why weren't you on the Escapist years ago?

I thought this movie was called The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down.

Twixley:

tdylan:

It takes place in the Matrix, so it doesn't have to be, and it doesn't exactly fall into the "jurisdiction" of this show, does it?

The Matrix is based on the rules of the real world though. That's kinda the point of the matrix, to make us think that it is the real world. It's why guns run out of bullets (Neo's first fight with Smith in the subway), and why getting shot kills you even though the bullets aren't "real." As Morpheus says in the first film, "it's a universe based on rules. Rules like gravity." I imagine gravity and physics work in the Matrix the same way they would in the real (reel???) world. You just have beings that are capable of bending/breaking them.

So, how strong would Morpheus, and the sword, have to be for him to cut through the vehicle the way that he did?

tdylan:
*edit for length*
So, how strong would Morpheus, and the sword, have to be for him to cut through the vehicle the way that he did?

I think this is actually an intresting question.

Going back to the scene in question...

It appears as if the katana slices through the top of the tire and the back quarter panel. Considering a lot of newer car bodies are made of sheet metal or fiberglass(afaik), I'd think that a katana would be strong enough for that (assuming you aren't hitting the inner hub of the tire). However I have some serious doubts a non-matrix freed individual would be able to keep a grip on that.

tdylan:

Twixley:

Mouse_Crouse:
It appears as if the katana slices through the top of the tire and the back quarter panel. Considering a lot of newer car bodies are made of sheet metal or fiberglass(afaik), I'd think that a katana would be strong enough for that (assuming you aren't hitting the inner hub of the tire). However I have some serious doubts a non-matrix freed individual would be able to keep a grip on that.

This topic is of serious interest to me. I love this movie franchise regardless of what anyone says about Reloaded and Revolutions. I will stand here and say Revolutions holds up as one of the best single action movies of all time. I can sit and watch it over and over. Do I think the writing is a bit full of itself here and there? Sure... but I would rather have a bit of self-indulgent philosophy than to check my brain at the door with something like Transformers. So for me, I would love to cover the Matrix movies under the idea of rules in the Matrix being the same as the real world. However, I fear the backlash would be negative regardless of our outcome because it could be explained away in either direction.

I can see it now... "This is only REAL because it's in the Matrix where anything is possible. This would never happen in the real world." or "This is only REEL because it's in the Matrix where they constantly bend the rules so why did you guys ever do an episode on this. Of COURSE, it is REEL!"

I hope you guys see my dilemma here. If or when we try to cover the Matrix or any other sci-fi/superhero stuff beyond the laws of physics, we will require a bit of faith on the audience to make the journey with us and realize how we are going to approach it, what can or can't be explained away, and any other number of factors involved. This is why we made people aware early on that it's a lose/lose scenario for us if we try to dive into situations where real-world or known physics don't apply. At that point, it's almost all conjecture.

What do you guys think? I am willing to explore some otherworldly stuff as long as everyone else can make the leap with us.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

So it might actually work, provided the ends were as far apart as stated in the film (50'). I was.......not expecting that answer. Film-wise no explanation was given of the front jumping up at takeoff, and that's the only explanation for how it would have been landing back-wheels first on the other side, but I was really expecting the answer to be that it would just drop well short of the far end.

Did they take center of mass into consideration?

Anakinnnn:
This topic is of serious interest to me. I love this movie franchise regardless of what anyone says about Reloaded and Revolutions. I will stand here and say Revolutions holds up as one of the best single action movies of all time. I can sit and watch it over and over. Do I think the writing is a bit full of itself here and there? Sure... but I would rather have a bit of self-indulgent philosophy than to check my brain at the door with something like Transformers. So for me, I would love to cover the Matrix movies under the idea of rules in the Matrix being the same as the real world. However, I fear the backlash would be negative regardless of our outcome because it could be explained away in either direction.

I can see it now... "This is only REAL because it's in the Matrix where anything is possible. This would never happen in the real world." or "This is only REEL because it's in the Matrix where they constantly bend the rules so why did you guys ever do an episode on this. Of COURSE, it is REEL!"

I hope you guys see my dilemma here. If or when we try to cover the Matrix or any other sci-fi/superhero stuff beyond the laws of physics, we will require a bit of faith on the audience to make the journey with us and realize how we are going to approach it, what can or can't be explained away, and any other number of factors involved. This is why we made people aware early on that it's a lose/lose scenario for us if we try to dive into situations where real-world or known physics don't apply. At that point, it's almost all conjecture.

What do you guys think? I am willing to explore some otherworldly stuff as long as everyone else can make the leap with us.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

I support this, Jason Dean. The real world is probably the Matrix anyway.

Nice opening. Awesome as always!

Anakinnnn:
*edit for space*

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

If you can do Assassins Creed, I don't see why this wouldn't work. As started earlier in the thread, the Matrix IS essentially the real world. All of the rules (gravity, friction, and resistances) apply exactly as we know them to do here. The only real notable difference is those who can manipulate it beyond it's intended programming. I'd think a clear explanation at the beginning would suffice. Showing how you are testing it against "real world" conditions should apply just fine until you get into Morpheous' ability to keep a grip on the sword. However going back and viewing the clip again, I have serious doubt about this happening. Going from the wheel to the panel would require going through the wheel well, and (again) as far as I know, that is part of the frame itself. Which would be much harder to cut. But I'm actually pretty ignorant about cars and it very well might not be an issue at all.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here