The Wishlist: Retro Duo Portable

Retro Duo Portable

Don't throw out those NES cartridges just yet.

Watch Video

That'd be awesome if I still had any of my SNES cartridges, but sadly I had to get rid of them some time ago due to poverty.

$99.99? Not bad. My only wish is that this thing would also have a GBC, GBA, DS adaptor for it too. That would make it perfect.

Ahh Think Geek. I am forever in your debt for first allowing me to reconnect to retro goodness back years ago with the A320. So its good to see newer up to date offerings on Think geek.

Only problem though is that they are too far behind the curve with the retro offerings.

One interesting thing I found is that they now offer a USB "Raptor Claw" N64 controller. That is awesome and all on esthetics but we all know good and well NOONE EVER liked the N64 controller ;)

The USB Snes one would be awesome as it is the second greatest controller in gaming history.

Honestly, This would be an awesome device if it were not limited to just Snes/NES and was able to support Android. Otherwise it sort of falls flat when gamers compare them to the Asian PSP KIRFs from the likes of JXD and Yinlips even if their legallity is more questionable on the retro side, their practicality of android + smart phone/tablet hardware + physical controls for comparable/less price makes it hard to look at this for its legitimacy over their practicality.

Edit 2: Honestly for 100$ I think I would rather have an Ouya.

Hmmm... $100 is a bit too pricy for me at this time. A 40% off sale would put it my price range but until then, I'll have to deal with having the non portable systems.... I gotta play Super Metroid again...

Even with just an SNES cart in it looks bulky and cumbersome. Also awkward to hit the shoulder buttons.

Like, I get the potential "cool" factor, but I like my portables to actually be...You know, portable.

That looks pretty damn awesome, I don't like purchasing things online so I don't think I'll be getting it.
If it was at my local game shop I'd pick it up pretty quick though.

viranimus:
One interesting thing I found is that they now offer a USB "Raptor Claw" N64 controller. That is awesome and all on esthetics but we all know good and well NOONE EVER liked the N64 controller ;)

Can't argue with that. Using a 360 controller for 6 years have spoiled me pretty bad, I love the N64, it's been a huge part of my childhood and what mostly defined me as a gamer, but nowadays, dat controller... just... ugh.

OT: Well, it's a damn, damn, damn shame I no longer have any of my SNES and NES cartdridges, I don't care if it's cumbersome and inconvenient, it looks pretty damn cool as it is.

Honestly this thing reminds me more of the much larger cousin of the Game Gear, the Nomad. That thing was awesome.

That is actually kind of cool. Now regretting getting rid of old games after systems died.

Also, what is on your shirt?

viranimus:

I was gonna argue with you, but then I remembered giving myself blisters trying to play some games. (Swivel the thumbstick round and round)

Where did you get that shirt? I don't want it, I just want it explained.

Meh, I still have my NES/SNES, and I think I can live with the non-portability for now.

kailus13:
Where did you get that shirt? I don't want it, I just want it explained.

It's a lady riding a shark.

:)

There are other ways to play retro games on less bulky systems.........but I guess the one mentioned on the show is the only legal ones available.

ExtraDebit:
There are other ways to play retro games on less bulky systems.........but I guess the one mentioned on the show is the only legal ones available.

For my understanding you can emulate games (legally) so long as you own both the hardware and the software that's being emulated. Not 100%, but pretty close, at least here in the States, I claim no knowledge of international emulation laws.

This is genius on so many levels.

All I have to ask is...when are they going to come out with the portable N64 already?!? I've already got a portable NES and SNES!

Retro game players? Isn't there supposed to be an unwritten law on the business side of game making companies against this sort of thing?

By the Dark Gods! Has common sense appeared in the gaming industry?!?

This is one of the Seven Signs...I'm sure of it! <.<

I should warn you all:
Go look up reviews of this thing on youtube before buying it!

It does work, it is awesome, but there is a reason someone as avid a gamer as me has not yet bought this, even though I've known about it for over a year. It seems to good to be true, and it is. It does not work with FX chip games, and some other random titles as well! It can randomly erase saves on some specific games, ironically Mario RPG is one of them! Take these things into consideration when buying one. Also, they are at version 2 or 3 right now. Each one keeps "attempting" to fix these problems. I would just wait until they are fixed.

Loved it :)

Don't want one if these by any stretch of the imagination, but just loved the video. Especially Ashley's swooning :) *Swoons*

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here