Zero Punctuation: Lego City Undercover

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

... Yeah, I don't even care anymore. Yahtzee played Javert to the Wii for five years and I doubt Wii U will change his mind. I could do without him being even more mean-spirited than his usual self whenever Nintendo systems come up, but hey: they're not his thing. He doesn't like "gimmicks," he doesn't like kiddy stuff, and if he had his way he'd even forgo his controller for a good neural input device. Whatever, different strains. And I don't feel like having all the little Yahtzites swarm and flame me whenever I disagree with his tastes anymore (though at least the Luigi's Mansion reference in this review means he possibly couldn't find enough to complain about for a full review of its own, so that's nice.)

Just one thing, Croshaw, since you brought it up: video games are toys. Wii U is a toy, 360's a toy, PS3's a toy. PS4 is an upcoming toy. Wii was a toy. 3DS and Vita are toys. People spend hundreds on gaming PCs so the PCs can run the digital toys they download onto them through the toy-delivery service Steam. The sooner you finally accept that this is an industry of toys, the better off you'll be. The next great medium? Yes. But it's for your own benefit that you realize where underneath the artistry and emotion you champion, you're ultimately still playing with toys. And there's nothing wrong with playing with toys, so stop trying to fight it.

LEGO City is probably the most pure fun I've had playing a game since Saints Row 2. At least the story anyway, I've stopped at 59% or so of overall competition because roaming the city now that I have all the suits has gotten a bit tedious. Plus I have other games I want to play too.

Maybe LEGO City isn't what the Wii U needs right now (it needs Nintendo to release some of its own games a bit sooner than this fall), but it's still very worth picking up if you already have a Wii U. No need to go buy a Wii U just to play it though, just buy it when/if you eventually get one for other games.

Also nice joke about the character customization options during the credits. Does suck that you can't have hair and a hat, but that's LEGO for you.

So it's a GTA Lego game on the WiiU, yeah, no.

We all have post Bioshock Infinite melancholy Yahtzee, don't you worry. :P

Ah, so Yahtzee was the one person on the entire planet who bought a Wii U. I was wondering who made that sale.

I don't get the hate for Nintendo making toys. They were originally a toy company prior to making video games, if they want to go back to their roots, I'm all for it. Besides, the 3DS seems to be doing the brunt of their gaming duties anyhow. Do I wish it was less gimmicky? Yes, but there are still plenty of great games on it, even if it not being 3d would have cut the price and increased the battery life *grumble grumble*. Still waiting on one with the extra joystick built in and not an add on device. (Although I believe the device also functions as a battery pack...)

ccggenius12:
Although I believe the device also functions as a battery pack...

Unfortunately, it doesn't. There were plans by Nyko to make a combination battery pack and Circle Pad Pro, but they cancelled it.

"Nintendo is determined to only sell toys"

So, videogames aren't toys because....?

I want to play Lego : Tales from the leper colony.

One of my absolute favourite things about your series is that I'm occasionally completely surprised by what games you're going to review next. That and the autonoetic awareness Yahtzee, as a character, possesses gives your reviews some real texture. Now that I've finished worshipping you uncomfortably, I'm a bit tired of people assuming that humour will go over children's heads. They're quite intelligent; they just lack a myelinated frontal cortex and life experience. Clever jokes wrapped up in packages that don't require constant pop-culture references will really get to kids. So, I'm not sure exactly who this game is for, but I think it talks down a little too much for its content. I honestly don't understand how people who develop kids' games can have such an etch-a-sketch understanding of the little flailing meat-bags

Awesome episode. Stuff about Bioshock at the start was precisely what I've been thinking about the 2013 releases too =D

ccggenius12:
I don't get the hate for Nintendo making toys. They were originally a toy company prior to making video games, if they want to go back to their roots, I'm all for it. Besides, the 3DS seems to be doing the brunt of their gaming duties anyhow. Do I wish it was less gimmicky? Yes, but there are still plenty of great games on it, even if it not being 3d would have cut the price and increased the battery life *grumble grumble*. Still waiting on one with the extra joystick built in and not an add on device. (Although I believe the device also functions as a battery pack...)

Lol, 3DS has one good title on it that isn't a port of something they've made previously. As a new console, it's an abject failure.

Aww, that was pretty harsh for what it really deserves. The game has fairly shitty gameplay, but if you allow yourself to get at least slightly tipsy before you play, you'll suck in the atmosphere and be giggling at everything in the game. It's like one of the Naked Gun movies, there's ALWAYS something happening in the background. It hits more than it misses.

They throw 80s and 90s references at you like a horde of ferrets, some of them which you only get afterwards like a battleship hitting your head, causing an epiphany. "Oooh snap! THAT'S what it was!" The game isn't worth buying the console for. But if you've got the console lying around, you should definitely pick it up.

Just... you know. Stock up on your buddy cop movie knowledge. It helps.

DVS BSTrD:
Other than the Last of Us there really isn't much coming out this year to get excited about is there?
And since this is Lego I could think a more fitting Marathon to be held hostage by.
what with the detachable limbs and all

Well for PC there is a lot to look forward to. Company of Heroes 2, Metro Last Light, Wasteland 2, a number of other kickstarter projects, indi games, and the like!

One other one that both have to look forward to is Watch Dogs as well.

I think I'll go with the LEGO *insert franchise here* games first. Afterwards, I might consider trying this.

Darth_Payn:
... and women want to have sex with me by eye contact alone.

That sounds like very boring sex. I'd prefer that other body parts were involved.

Darth_Payn:
And I fear the number of the worst Simpsons episodes ever would be too much to fit in a single day.

Meh... that's only because the number of The Simpsons episodes is so high. By definition, isn't the number of "worst" episodes of anything equal to fifty percent?

Seems like its now time to make Lego Divorce Court. I can see millions of dollars in this.

Falseprophet:

Gameguy20100:
Wait wait wait wait Yahtzee WANTS multiplier what weird fucked up parallel universe have I stepped into!!

Yahtzee's never had a problem with local multiplayer. Just online.

Yahtzee had already indicated that he doesn't like multiplayer where he can't punch the other player in the face

ResonanceSD:

Lol, 3DS has one good title on it that isn't a port of something they've made previously. As a new console, it's an abject failure.

Are you lumping in sequels with ports? Because off hand, it has Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm, Kingdom hearts 3d, and *obligatory Mario game*. There's also more JRPG's than you can shake a stick at. Granted if that's not your style the device is kind of barren, but your preferences aren't Nintendo's fault.

Also, just gonna throw out that Shovel Knight is going to be available in the e-store, so... portable version is best version?

Good review yahtzee, pretty damn accurate to the truth too!
The ONLY reason I am enjoying my Wii U is because of MHU, otherwise this console is as dead as a door nail for me. Nintendo has such bad leadership regarding where to take their company. This console could have turned out so much better!!!

ccggenius12:

ResonanceSD:

Are you lumping in sequels with ports? Because off hand, it has Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm, Kingdom hearts 3d, and *obligatory Mario game*. There's also more JRPG's than you can shake a stick at. Granted if that's not your style the device is kind of barren, but your preferences aren't Nintendo's fault.

Also, just gonna throw out that Shovel Knight is going to be available in the e-store, so... portable version is best version?

and out of that laundry list, FE: A is the only decent title there.

ResonanceSD:

ccggenius12:

I see that 3DS suffers the same stigma that the Vita currently does. Unfortunately, it's wrong in both cases.

VanQ:

ResonanceSD:

ccggenius12:

I see that 3DS suffers the same stigma that the Vita currently does. Unfortunately, it's wrong in both cases.

Sorry, both consoles compete against the mobile market and can't hold ground against an array of new games, with more original ideas, at a lower price.

How is the fact that Nintendo and Sony are both sticking to outdated and frankly stupid concepts "wrong"? "Because you say so"?

Defeated Detective:

The Last Melon:

Defeated Detective:

He came in defense of Bioshock Infinite's ending, a much more in-depth answer is found in his column.

I still haven't played Infinite, so I didn't read the column for fear of spoilers...

He knows better, it's spoiler-free.

Still, the less I know about the game, the better. I have the same policy for Spec Ops. I want these games to blow the pants off me once I finally have the money to buy them.

Luigi's Mansion review incoming!

Also: This has probably been asked, but who IS that guy whose face keeps popping up in Yahtzee's videos?

ResonanceSD:

VanQ:

ResonanceSD:

Sorry, both consoles compete against the mobile market and can't hold ground against an array of new games, with more original ideas, at a lower price.

How is the fact that Nintendo and Sony are both sticking to outdated and frankly stupid concepts "wrong"? "Because you say so"?

Yes. Wonderful games like Final Fantasy ATB.

AdamG3691:
ah, my apologies, I forgot that he wrote a column after it :P (although, the column was wrote days after the video was released, so at the time of the video he hadn't got very far

That's not how his schedule works. For each game, he devotes a week to it and the next week to recording, Photoshopping, and editing the review for it; one week later, he adds his final thoughts in his column, the day before whatever his next review is comes out. Since he releases a review each week, that means that by the time he released the review (to say nothing of the article), he was long since done with Monster Hunter Tri.

RTR:

Because video games are their own art form. You wouldn't refer to a film or novel as a toy, nor would you even refer to a board game or trading card game as a toy. A toy is something you play with; a video game is something you play (i.e. experience).

OT: Not that it's unexpected, but it's nevertheless wearying to see a few people dredging up Yahtzee's supposed automatic bias against Nintendo. It's not like anyone calls out, say, Jim Sterling for for having some irrational bias against EA. Just as Jim wouldn't have to spend so much time criticizing EA if the latter would quit making mistake after mistake, Yahtzee wouldn't be criticizing Nintendo if they'd stop making gimmicky, industry-damaging consoles and squeezing their decades-old franchises for all they're worth and then some.

ResonanceSD:

VanQ:

ResonanceSD:

I don't know. We are expected to believe a handheld is a complete and utter failure 'because you say so' as well. I don't harbor any harsh feelings but the reasons you dislike the 3DS and Vita as consoles are purely subjective reasons that many people disagree with. The only thing you've said which I think is really concrete is that handhelds face stiff competition from mobile devices. Which is something I believe to be completely true and is something that all developers of handhelds need to be wary of.

Yahtzee I enjoyed your review and found it quite funny as per usual. This video in particular seemed pretty punny in particular. There isn't anything wrong with a well placed pun and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

I also enjoy you when you're snarky. But in this particular review I sort of felt like you crossed the line at snarky and settled in comfortably in maliciousness. This may have been a Wii U exclusive, but it wasn't developed by Nintendo at all. Yet you still found time in your review to criticize the console. Criticize the controller. Criticize the games line up. Harshly criticize Nintendo. And then you finished by criticizing people who enjoy Nintendo games. I do enjoy it when you poke at the big three and I do get a bit of a laugh at it. It matters little to me what company you are poking fun at because they aren't perfect and your analogies are often simply humorous.

But it's completely obvious that you are trying to get a rise out of people. I'm not Nintendo nor do I work for them. I have no reason to be offended or to defend them. At least until they start paying me. But the level and length at which you criticize Nintendo is a bit dissuading. This post may or may not come as a sign of your success in annoying the 'Rabid Nintendo Fanboys' but it's getting repetitive. We get that you don't like Nintendo. The shtick is especially tiresome when you insist on it even in games not developed by Nintendo themselves.

I clicked on your video for a review of Lego City, and while I got that I had to wade through almost two minutes of you telling us all about the problems of Nintendo and of the people who buy their games. I don't get offended and upset that people who make videos on the internet may not feel the same way about a company as I do. But when said internet personality doesn't want me to forget about their opinion on Nintendo I feel justified in rolling an eye and wondering if I can click on the timeline to skip to the review part of the review.

This video made me unecessarily bitter, which if weird because I'm not really interested in LEGO

GodzillaGuy92:

AdamG3691:
ah, my apologies, I forgot that he wrote a column after it :P (although, the column was wrote days after the video was released, so at the time of the video he hadn't got very far

That's not how his schedule works. For each game, he devotes a week to it and the next week to recording, Photoshopping, and editing the review for it; one week later, he adds his final thoughts in his column, the day before whatever his next review is comes out. Since he releases a review each week, that means that by the time he released the review (to say nothing of the article), he was long since done with Monster Hunter Tri.

RTR:

Because video games are their own art form. You wouldn't refer to a film or novel as a toy, nor would you even refer to a board game or trading card game as a toy. A toy is something you play with; a video game is something you play (i.e. experience).

OT: Not that it's unexpected, but it's nevertheless wearying to see a few people dredging up Yahtzee's supposed automatic bias against Nintendo. It's not like anyone calls out, say, Jim Sterling for for having some irrational bias against EA. Just as Jim wouldn't have to spend so much time criticizing EA if the latter would quit making mistake after mistake, Yahtzee wouldn't be criticizing Nintendo if they'd stop making gimmicky, industry-damaging consoles and squeezing their decades-old franchises for all they're worth and then some.

That still doesn't change the fact that videogames started out as toys and have always been toys.
Yes, they're a great medium for creating experiences for the user and yes, games have been getting more complex and also geared to a more adult audience (as of late), but I think it's very miopic for gamers to stick up their noses and claim that videogames are art and should be taken seriously all the time without acknowledging that they're talking about what are essentially playthings.

I mean, if you were to say something like "I'm going to experience a game", you're going to sound like a pretentious asshat.

GeneralFungi:

ResonanceSD:

VanQ:

I don't know. We are expected to believe a handheld is a complete and utter failure 'because you say so' as well..

Nah, not just me.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/21/4012812/mobile-games-beat-handheld-games-in-consumer-spending-last-quarter

Mobile games beat handheld games in consumer spending last quarter

"The concept that Android and iOS smartphones and tablets would make a major dent in the portable gaming market is nothing new. Last year's PlayStation Vita launch sparked a debate on whether dedicated portable gaming devices have much of a future, and Nintendo had to dramatically cut the price of the 3DS the year before thanks to lower than expected sales. Now, some new data from research firms IDC and App Annie further reinforces the tough position Nintendo and Sony find themselves in - consumer spending on gaming apps in Apple's App Store and on Google Play eclipsed spending on dedicated portable console games from Nintendo and Sony in the fourth quarter of last year. More specifically, spending on dedicated portable console games was highly seasonal - 60 percent of Q4 spending took place in December, likely as consumer picked up games for Christmas presents. iOS and Android game spending, on the other hand, was more evenly distributed."

There you go mate, it's now been sourced to someone else too.

ToastiestZombie:
Still, what has this got to do with the fucking game except it being an exclusive? It's like a review of Gears of War starting off with "HAHA RED RING OF DEATH! SO MANY ADS MICROSOFT U SUCK LOL!!!!"

Red rings were a hardware flaw and the ads were reasonably easy to ignore, Nintendo on the other hand has seen fit to base their last two consoles entirely around gimmicks that some feel range from useless to outright crippling, it kinda makes the console part of the gameplay discussion.

Am I allowed to call them fat neckbeard losers now?

Sure if you want, 0 points for creativity though, you need to come up with more witty wording.

"But they mad bro!" is not a good argument.

It wasn't really even an argument, I just find mad fanboys on forums and mad bads in LoL to be some of the more consistent sources of amusement, and Yahtzee helps with that seeing as both of the above become even more funny when provoked and if there is one thing he is indisputably good at, its provoking fanboys.

major_chaos:

ToastiestZombie:
Still, what has this got to do with the fucking game except it being an exclusive? It's like a review of Gears of War starting off with "HAHA RED RING OF DEATH! SO MANY ADS MICROSOFT U SUCK LOL!!!!"

Red rings were a hardware flaw and the ads were reasonably easy to ignore, Nintendo on the other hand has seen fit to base their last two consoles entirely around gimmicks that some feel range from useless to outright crippling, it kinda makes the console part of the gameplay discussion.

Am I allowed to call them fat neckbeard losers now?

Sure if you want, 0 points for creativity though, you need to come up with more witty wording.

"But they mad bro!" is not a good argument.

It wasn't really even an argument, I just find mad fanboys on forums and mad bads in LoL to be some of the more consistent sources of amusement, and Yahtzee helps with that seeing as both of the above become even more funny when provoked and if there is one thing he is indisputably good at, its provoking fanboys.

Last 3, if you include the 3DS and it's fat brother, the 3DS XL.

It's not even provoking fanboys though, because everything he's said about Nintendo for the last few months has been true.

ResonanceSD:
Snip

I wasn't denying that handhelds were facing stiff competition from mobile devices. I made it clear that I agreed with you on that point. I feel like you read the first two sentences then decided to respond.

This was what I was disagreeing with. It was a completely subjective point and I was saying that your opinion of a console didn't make it a non success. It just meant that you didn't perceive it as a success. You're really misrepresenting me by only including one fraction of my post. The 3DS isn't rocking the globe quite as well as the DS and mobile devices are part of the issue. But it is by no means a failure. Sales have really begun picking up recently. Especially in Japan.

ResonanceSD:

Last 3, if you include the 3DS

I don't. While the 3d is a godawful execution of a good idea, its entirely visual not a gameplay gimmick so it isn't crippling. While the library is no where near the awesome one the original DS built up, but it finally has enough titles to justify a purchase from me. (used mind you, I'm still bitter Nintendo)

major_chaos:

ResonanceSD:

Last 3, if you include the 3DS

I don't. While the 3d is a godawful execution of a good idea, its entirely visual not a gameplay gimmick so it isn't crippling. While the library is no where near the awesome one the original DS built up, but it finally has enough titles to justify a purchase from me. (used mind you, I'm still bitter Nintendo)

Christ, do you want to buy mine? I was considering waiting for Fire emblem, but I don't want to give these clowns any more money.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here