Movie Trailers: Man of Steel - Theatrical Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Man of Steel - Theatrical Trailer

Welcome to the gritty reboot of the Superman franchise.

Watch Video

I-I-I ...think I actually care about Superman?

EDIT: Also what with all the upbeat music, beautiful visuals and 'I really believe you can change the world and do wonders' I'm not entirely sure people are thinking of the right word when they say 'gritty'

'Arghhh you're giving people hope and saving children! It's so dark!'

The difference between Man of Steel and the Dark Knight saga is,
In the Dark Knight saga the question was 'Is the world ready for Harvey Dent?' And the answer was no so we had Batman.

In the Man of Steel the question is 'Is the world ready for Superman?' And the answer is clearly going to be yes, because it's a superman film

Well I was hyped until we saw the whiny villain...I sure hopes he isn't like that during the entire movie.

Not gritty at all. Darker than the Christopher Reeve films, but that isn't exactly tough. As the Reeve films were the distillation of the Silver Age, I think that these will be the distillation of Superman's modern age. Well, the good parts.

... for some reason, I kept hearing Edna Mode in my head during a good half of that trailer.

BrotherRool:

EDIT: Also what with all the upbeat music, beautiful visuals and 'I really believe you can change the world and do wonders' I'm not entirely sure people are thinking of the right word when they say 'gritty'

Come on we saw Superman with a beard, that extremely gritty for him (not including the comic that started the I am a man meme).

iniudan:

BrotherRool:

Come on we saw Superman with a beard, that extremely gritty for him (not including the comic that started the I am a man meme).

Maybe the word you're looking for is 'beardy' =D Or to be more accurate 'studenty'

Man, this just gets me even more pumped for this film. I absolutely cannot wait to see how this reboot goes... words I never thought I would hear myself say.

I'm with MovieBob on this one. Hopefully this doesn't suck.

This movie better be two and a half hours of awesome. It looks like it should be able to pull it off. So stoked.

Random Argument Man:
Well I was hyped until we saw the whiny villain...I sure hopes he isn't like that during the entire movie.

It worked for Thor and the Avengers. Loki was always a whiny little bitch.

Cannot. Wait.

It's been over thirty years since we had an excellent live-action Superman and I'd say we're long overdue. I'm highly anticipative, and I'm praying it doesn't suck.

And fortunately, from what I've seen anyway, all the pieces seem to be going in their proper places; Henry Cavill looks like he's going to make an excellent Superman, and the same goes for Michael Shannon as General Zod, and the action looks to be straight-up GLORIOUS!

Avaholic03:

Random Argument Man:

Michael Shannon doesn't do whiny... he does creepy calm before snapping and going on an insane rampage. That is Michael Shannon's thing, and that is an excellent personality for General Zod.

All the trailers I've seen for this film so far have been extremely promising. The usual problem with Superman is that he's so hypercompetent that any situation where he's in peril has to be incredibly contrived, to the point of being silly But by focussing on him as an orphan child and outcast rather than a superhuman they will hopefully avoid that...
In other words, can't wait. Hope the film turns out as good as it looks so far.

...he just punched a dude across a city. Eat your heart out, Avengers

Kargathia:
... for some reason, I kept hearing Edna Mode in my head during a good half of that trailer.

I am cautiously optimistic.... Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the S actually the symbol of the house of El? NOT a symbol meaning hope?

Avaholic03:

Random Argument Man:

And there was a massive payoff...

BrotherRool:

Maybe they mean it in the literal sense of 'covered in grit'. Then it would be much more accurate, lot's of scenes with grit in them.

someonehairy-ish:
All the trailers I've seen for this film so far have been extremely promising. The usual problem with Superman is that he's so hypercompetent that any situation where he's in peril has to be incredibly contrived, to the point of being silly But by focussing on him as an orphan child and outcast rather than a superhuman they will hopefully avoid that...

My problem is apart from the supercompetence in powers (which is stupid no matter what MovieBob says. When everyone villain has to have magic or a truckload of kryptonite it always makes things seem a bit stupid) is he's also always supercompetent morally. He always knows Right from Wrong and what he says is True. The boy scout. These trailers make it sound like he's not going to be morally bankrupt, but it takes him a while to really understand where he's going in life.

It isn't gritty more just down to earth and more based in reality. Either way I have been excited for this since the first trailer!

I like what I see. But isn't there something a little wrong when most of your trailer looks like one of those fan made trailers made from bits of other trailers for a movie that doesn't exist?
At any rate, I'm looking forward to it. I don't know if the whole perceived public menace thing they look like they're going for will work though. I mean, it's worked for other superheroes, like Spider-Man or the X-men, but Superman? He's kind always been just too damn good for anyone to not love him unconditionally. Well who knows, they could pull it off.

someonehairy-ish:

That is why their are people in general (which is something Superman always cares about) in peril. You may not be able to hurt him, but you certainly can hurt the things that Superman has sworn to protect till his dying breath. Also, they gave him the best villains possible, other Kryptonians, people who are on some level his equal. I hope the opposite, they they focus on him being "super", by the third act. It's really all about him being "super" as it stands, about hiding who he is from the world for fear of rejection (something all people fear). He outcasts himself so no one can find out who he is or what he is. In the last Superman movie, the only really good and interesting parts were when he was being "super". The concentration on the "human" drama of his life were the parts that were problematic.

I like this backstory a lot more than I thought I would, but WHERE are the fucking colors?

Aiddon:
...he just punched a dude across a city. Eat your heart out, Avengers

We have a Hulk.

Meh, doesn't look like Darkseid or Lobo are anywhere to be seen.

I'll probably catch it on Sky movies in a few years or something.

Abandon4093:
Meh, doesn't look like Darkseid or Lobo are anywhere to be seen.

I'll probably catch it on Sky movies in a few years or something.

Darkseid in Superman only movie, your insane if you hope for anything more then a cameo, he just too powerful, best case you can have his maybe a plot where he involved without been named, announcing his presence wouldn't be before the end of a Justice league movie, while start of more direct confrontation is not before we get to Legion, good luck getting there at the speed DC movie progress. =p

If you put him too early you are left with what has a greater threat anyway, Anti-Monitor ?

MorganL4:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the S actually the symbol of the house of El? NOT a symbol meaning hope?

Technically it's both. It was in the first Superman movie that the symbol was the crest of the House of El, and was later adapted into the comics, such as John Byrne's Man of Steel origin story. Ever since Superman: Birthright, one of the newer origin stories, the symbol also stands for hope, as the El family has been a part of Kryptonian history for ages, and have always been guiding Krypton towards peace and prosperity. Although in recent years the family has believed to lost it's glory, and Jor-El was seen as a disappointment to the family for being a man of science as opposed to being in a position of power, which is why his pleas about Krypton's end were rejected.

OT: I'm hyped as hell for this movie. From what I've seen so far, and from what I've heard, this movie is very faithful to the comics, and is taking inspiration from other origin stories like Man of Steel (Kryptonians are genetically engineered and born in test tubes, but Kal-El was born naturally), Birthright (S shield meaning hope, Clark traveling the world to find his place), and Secret Origins ("You are my son.").

Also, hearing Russell Crowe speak that line from All-Star Superman is just... so beautiful. I-I think I need to lie down.

aba1:
It isn't gritty more just down to earth and more based in reality.

Superman. Based in reality? I don't even... what?

You could probably make a great story just out of Superman becoming accepted by society.
The villain ruined this trailer for me.

TheEndlessSleep:

aba1:

What Snyder has said is that it'll be more 'grounded' in reality. That doesn't mean that Superman will be realistic (how could he be?) but it does mean that the world building will be, i.e. if someone like Superman existed in real life, how would the world react.

Froggy Slayer:

TheEndlessSleep:

aba1:

What Snyder has said is that it'll be more 'grounded' in reality. That doesn't mean that Superman will be realistic (how could he be?) but it does mean that the world building will be, i.e. if someone like Superman existed in real life, how would the world react.

I get what he meant lol, I just thought it was a really strange choice of words.

Baresark:

Also, they gave him the best villains possible, other Kryptonians, people who are on some level his equal.

I hope that the sequels (God willing) go with contrasting enemies that test Supes in a different way. I'm hoping Lex Luthor (and I'll be honest, more corporate mastermind/scientist than the Gene Hackman one) and Braniac make an appearance.

NO! No, no, no! I don't care about Superman! I hate Superman! Superman is boring, and overpowered, and silly, and, and... Oh dammit. well this looks like it's going to be cool. Great now I have to give it a chance. Stupid Zack Snyder, and his really cool looking movies. *pouts*

MorganL4:

I am cautiously optimistic.... Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the S actually the symbol of the house of El? NOT a symbol meaning hope?

The Crest of the House of El is the Kryptonian glyph for hope. I think they have some kind of rivalry/blood-feud with the House of Zod, which brings me too...

Quiotu:

Avaholic03:

Random Argument Man:

Michael Shannon doesn't do whiny... he does creepy calm before snapping and going on an insane rampage. That is Michael Shannon's thing, and that is an excellent personality for General Zod.

I didn't see no whiny, I saw a subdued, then screaming-loud, megalomania and white-hot psychotic fury from the trailer and that will make a great contrast to Superman. In short, I can't wait.

If this movie is bad I shall cry bloody tears

Normally I wouldn't be stoked for a superman movie, he's just too hypercompetent, and I hated the last one...But I really liked the trailer, and I will give it a shot.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here