Miracle of Sound: Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

And I dream of the sky, broken clouds drifting by.

Watch Video

...Wow.

I've loved some of your other work, but this is just above pretty much all of it, immediately.

Must admit, after seeing it hyped up a lot by people who'd heard it, I was expecting to be slightly disappointed. But just...wow.

I had goosebumps for pretty much the whole second half of the song.

Absolutely fantastic work from everyone involved. :D

Bravo, Bravo.

Covers everything Bioshock Infinite had to say, from the shining city to the depths of hell and (way way) beyond.

This one could be up there with Sovngarde Song and New Black Gold.

That was...incredible. Seriously, everything about this song was amazing. I never thought anything could top Sovngarde Song, but this did so. Quite handily, I might add.

The way you tied it back to "Little Sister" worked perfectly, great job as always.

This is probably my favorite work yet.

I really like the callbacks to Little Sister in the vocal patterns. Good job on that.

Gav, you've clearly developed so much as an artist. It's hard to believe that it's the same guy making this as the guy who made Gordon Freeman Saved My Life.

I got a pretty much the same feeling of amazement and understanding listening to the last section of this song, as I did with the last section of the game. The choral bit at the beginning felt like it was straight from the beginning of the game. In fact, the sections of the song pair so well with the game, it's unreal. If that was your intent, you nailed it!

Everything about this song is Fantastic! Best song to date, by far!

Well done!

Couldn't help but smile at the "and I dream of the sea sky". The song seems to have different styles to it, but they all flow together rather well.

MiracleOfSound:
Dream of the Sky (BioShock: Infinite)

And I dream of the sky, broken clouds drifting by.

Watch Video

Holy frak Gavin (hope you don't mind me calling you that) but how the hell did you pull this off? Honestly, how in the name of the Golden Throne did you pull off this amazing song? I'll be honest, my favorite part of the song was the part when it played. :D

P.S. Bought "Level Three" this morning and are you sure you're not a wizard who works with music?

Okay even though I'm in the middle of the song but holy shizz Gav this might be the best song you've made so far and this is my gonna be my favorite since Sovengard song. Worth every penny you spent making that song.

Best song yet? Well, it's certainly in contention that's for sure.

Wow, this one feels like it should be analysed. The song feels like it is many songs, all in one, but still strangely coherent. Which is kind of what Infinite did, too. Absolutely blown away!

Also, I'm off to buy Level 3.

Everyone in the lounge is looking at me, one of them just asked me if I was ok, turns out I teared up a bit in public, I'll be handing in my man card now.

Bravo Gav. Shit's good yo.

Andy Shandy:
...Wow.

What? No more "HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT" like your first impression XD

OT: This song... THIS SONG! Holy hell man. Cloudwolf wasn't kidding when he said it was good. There are a few styles here, yet they all fit and flow together so well. The lyrics are amazing, especially the first verse, and then there was that throwback to little sister towards the end with Lorna and you singing together. It was just amazing...

I know it sounds like I'm a rabid madman foaming at the mouth (and to be fair I am XD), but I was really blown away by this one, especially the part at the end. Lorna's voice is beautiful. According to bandcamp, she did the vocals for Shadows in the Moonlight too right? Well she was incredible. Use her more if you can :)

That song made me feel thrills and goosebumps, seriously, some of your best so far!

First part: yeah, this is allright.. then comes the more sinister music: holy crap, now THIS is a bioshock song! Then the perfect flow into the work-music makes it even better. If it wasn't enough, the whole Iris bit is just incredible. Did you speed up the vocals or something, because bloody hell that was fast! And than you finish it with a callback that is just genius.

Mr Dunne, you have my compliments!

Sorry Gav but I'm gunna hold off watching this until I finish the game. I've been having a hard time with the autosaves and spoilers, so I need some extra motivation. Really looking forward to hearing this.

T0ad 0f Truth:

Andy Shandy:
...Wow.

What? No more "HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT" like your first impression XD

OT: This song... THIS SONG! Holy hell man. Cloudwolf wasn't kidding when he said it was good. There are a few styles here, yet they all fit and flow together so well. The lyrics are amazing, especially the first verse, and then there was that throwback to little sister towards the end with Lorna and you singing together. It was just amazing...

I know it sounds like I'm a rabid madman foaming at the mouth (and to be fair I am XD), but I was really blown away by this one, especially the part at the end. Lorna's voice is beautiful. According to bandcamp, she did the vocals for Shadows in the Moonlight too right? Well she was incredible. Use her more if you can :)

Fine, I'll add it here, to keep you happy XD

But yes, HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT. indeed. =P

And I agree Lorna (as was everyone involved really) was amazing.

Bought level 3 about 2 hours ago, listened to this and loved it. Now watching the video I actually teared up a bit. Masterly done.

God damn, that was amazing. I loved how you managed to get all the main three parts of the narrative together, how the first part was a kind of 'exploring Columbia part', then the whole 'Vox Populi rises' bit and finally 'fun with interdimensional madness', and that you managed to get them into one song.

I don't suppose we could have some 'extended cut' versions with a long version of all three parts, could we? ;)

Edit: I'd called the Little Sister callback there a week ago. Pity it wasn't "I dream of the sky, city up above high, I dream of the sky, there's no Eden for I" but I'll settle for getting close.

...well.

yeah...

Wow. Just... Wow. I wouldn't think it'd be possible to encapsulate all the different emotions the game held in a single song, but god dammit you did it.

Blew me away almost as much as the game itself did.

Also, how much fun did you have with the Irish section? Loved it!

I love how the guitar playing scene is used as an opening when the first section of the song reminds me so much of the actual song played in the game. Then follows the next section with excellent playful themes that mirror the image of Columbia perfectly. I almost thought you were going for your very own Bohemian Rhapsody for a while here.

Including the Little Sister theme was an excellent move as well not only to link two great songs with each other, but to constantly remind us that these amazing games are related.

My favorite part of the whole song though is something completely different. I kind of felt the CAGE reference to be mandatory in a BioShock: Infinite song but really Gav, at 3:46 you introduce Elizabeth to a mellow plucking of C-A-G-E-D? Hands down the best part.

Quite good. One of my new favorites.

Listened to it earlier when I bought Level 3 (Fantastic by the way) and I absolutely love the call back to Little Sister, excellent flow. I am already looking forward to Level 4: With a Vengeance.

Nice work, Gavin.

I loves how the song shifted about, turning into different songs, about different perspectives, trying to answer the "what is Bioshock:Infinite" question, and the different song traditions employed; the C-A-G-E joke was brilliant; the final product was awesome. Swing and a hit, sir, excellent work.

I have to ask though, was this intentionally written as the multi-verse song, or did you start on one song and go, "Nah, this doesn't really cover it", try again, repeat, and eventually decide, "Frack it, everything goes in"?

When it comes to composition, you've outdone yourself this time, Gav.

Like a 6 minute play, telling all the important stories through several different acts and it never feels incongruous. Loved that one-note piano in Songbird part and how it ties to Little Sister. Really nailed this one Gav.

Brilliant call back. Loved it! :)

Man, this is good stuff. Especially loved it when you whipped out your Irish vocals.*

However, since I haven't played Infinite yet (grumble grumble grumble), I feel that I can't really appreciate this as much as I should. And while I get why you had Little Sister (kinda) in, it seemed a little too much Little Sister to me, partly because I couldn't help but think "You're singing it wrong!" (I'm a doof, I know).

However, once I finally get to play, I'll give this another listen, and probably need a new change of bottoms and a pack of cigarettes.

*Yes, I know you're Irish thus your vocals are technically always Irish, but for the most part your Irish-ness doesn't really come through in your songs.

Ok, you know what, I was always amazed by how good Gavin is in conveying game feel into the song, but now I have a suspicion that it's Gavin who writes song first, and then game is developed to follow... simply amazing.

Wow...Just wow...Here I go thinking nothing could come close to the New Black Gold or The Best I Can...But you just have to release this song now...This is absolutely stunning work...Incorporating what is essentially 3 separate songs into one coherent piece that works from perfectly from start to finish...Its making it really hard to avoid going out and dropping money on Infinite right now (something I can't afford to do at this moment)...The call back to Little Sister at the end definitely had me smiling too...

Just one more thing as an addendum...Can we get a full song in the style of the first part because DAMN you have the voice for that style of song...I mean it doesn't have to be soon or anything...Just at some point in the future...Cause (like I said before) DAMN that was perfectly done...

This song is.... Good.

Like, really good. Thanks.

Larcenist:

My favorite part of the whole song though is something completely different. I kind of felt the CAGE reference to be mandatory in a BioShock: Infinite song but really Gav, at 3:46 you introduce Elizabeth to a mellow plucking of C-A-G-E-D? Hands down the best part.

I'm glad you noticed that! That's a little musical Easter egg I put in :)

Wonderfully done. I love how you captured all the different tones of the game.

Wow. Bravo! I hope there's an article explaining the process of this one, because DAMN!

I think my favorite part was when in got ominous during the Luteces' verse, but I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

At first, I thought that this would be a kind of dissonant song with the happy sound and the dark lyrics, but then it changed into a dark march-ey sounding tune, and I thought "Oh. So it's going to be a powerful song like Savage Side of Me and stuff". And THEN the fiddle (I think that's what it was) kicked in, and I got kind of confused. But it switched back to the "Revolt!" and then right after to a hymn like thing, and I just- And THEN the Luteces' verse came in... and after that I just accepted that this wasn't a normal kind of song, with the verse, chorus, verse structure. The ending part was strange for me, because it's been a while since I've heard Little Sister, but I still recognized it, so the call back was a bit lost on me (Especially because I've never played Bioshock).

Anyways, I really really liked this. I think it really fit the nature of Bioshock Infinite, especially the very last line, and the echoing and...

Damn.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or