Injustice: Gods Among Us Review - Fights In Tights

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Injustice: Gods Among Us Review - Fights In Tights

NetherRealm Studios trades in fatalities for kryptonite, and the result is one of the most enjoyable fighters of our modern console generation.

Read Full Article

I've got the game and I love it. It has a unique style to its fighting and I haven't come across any characters that seem to dominate over others easily, but give it time I suppose, like any fighter.

Only problem I have is that the Zombie mode dlc I got doesn't seem to work, because I can't access it even though my dlc code worked.

Really glad to hear it's a good game. Going to give it a rental to try it out myself, and then make a decision.

Fighting games should always have a focus on multiplayer combat...

Someone doesn't read Yahtzee...

OT: It looks fun enough. Back in the day I might have rented it to give it a try, but it's getting harder and harder to find rental places. Guess I'll check the bargain bin 6 months down the road.

The cool thing about this review is, fighting games are some mysterious black box to me, but it feels like I can get a tiny glimpse of what people who actually like the games judge them on

BrotherRool:
The cool thing about this review is, fighting games are some mysterious black box to me, but it feels like I can get a tiny glimpse of what people who actually like the games judge them on

This is, like, the highest praise I could possibly receive for this piece. Glad you liked it, as you are exactly the sort of person I hope to aim my fighting game reviews at. It's a surprisingly inscrutable genre for those who don't view themselves as hardcore fighting game fans, so my goal is to try to demystify the concept for gamers who are repulsed by the worryingly insular population that has claimed these sorts of titles as their own.

And if you dig the review, and have an interest in fighters, Injustice is a great place to start. It features a great balance between hardcore mechanics and user-friendly, intuitive controls. Coupled with a very pleasant learning curve, I'd recommend this game to anyone with at least a modicum of interest in fighters, comics, or games in general.

The hardcore tournament set will be the final arbiter of how successful Injustice is in the competitive fighting game world (and this verdict will take at least a few weeks to pan out), but initial impressions are promising.

Really? Because I remember seeing Dethstrokes ad nauseam at the recent pro tournament, a couple of Aquamans & Supermans and one of the other characters here and there. After watching around 3 hours of it I never saw 12 playable characters, which account for half of it's rooster.

I think a game that focuses on online PvP should be way more careful on it's balance, however it might just be that zoning characters are safer to pick up when money is on the line. I disagree with the quote, think the initial impression of it's balance is terrible but the game shows promise after a couple of patches.

Great review overall, but my only gripe is, this game, more than most, seriously needed a video review and I'm highly disappointed at the lack of one.

But otherwise, I'll nag my cousin or one of my friends to buy or at least rent the game, so I can finally play it :)

SupahGamuh:
Great review overall, but my only gripe is, this game, more than most, seriously needed a video review and I'm highly dissapointed at the lack of one.

But otherwise, I'll nag my cousin or one of my friends to buy or at least rent the game, so I can finally play it :)

I agree with you on that point. All I can say for now is that you should keep an eye on our future fighting game reviews.

I couldn't agree more. This is one of the most solid fighters I have played in a long while. Great fun, lots of single player content, which is really what I care about. I loved the story mode, it was rather enthralling and appropriately ridiculous storyline. They also don't beat around the bush and Superman has to beat Superman, which only makes sense.

For the record: the answer to the opening question is Batman. He keeps a kryptonite ring on his bat-belt at all times. :P

OT: A friend of mine played the demo and said that he wasn't too impressed with it while I've only been mildly interested since it was announced. He said it reminded him too much of the "new" Mortal Kombat game only with DC characters and no fatalities.

Thunderous Cacophony:

OT: It looks fun enough. Back in the day I might have rented it to give it a try, but it's getting harder and harder to find rental places. Guess I'll check the bargain bin 6 months down the road.

It's a fighting game, multiplayer is generally their core. Like Battlefield, or TF2.

But the game is pretty good, plot wise it's similar to the obvious episode from Justice League, fightings very smooth, lots of moves for each character, (a nice feature is that you can switch between "Tekken" style controls and "Street Fighter" style controls). My only irk is the way the health system works, in that you just get 2 flat layers to deplete as opposed to rounds like in most fighting games, so if someone gets a lead, they're likely to stay there instead of the tried and true best out of 3.

RJ 17:
For the record: the answer to the opening question is Batman. He keeps a kryptonite ring on his bat-belt at all times. :P

OT: A friend of mine played the demo and said that he wasn't too impressed with it while I've only been mildly interested since it was announced. He said it reminded him too much of the "new" Mortal Kombat game only with DC characters and no fatalities.

Well it has similarities to the new MK game, but why is no fatalities a minus? Because it's made by the MK guys, all their games have to have it? I have found it to be a fairly solid game with a lot of content, wagers and the interactive environments add a unique and different kind of strategy element to fights. Give it a rent, the demo showcased a few things but with nothing telling you how how do the transitions, wagers etc so it may not have seemed all that great to your friend. I don't know, but if you like fighting games, I'd at least give it a shot :D

elvor0:

Thunderous Cacophony:

It's a fighting game, multiplayer is generally their core. Like Battlefield, or TF2.

But the game is pretty good, plot wise it's similar to the obvious episode from Justice League, fightings very smooth, lots of moves for each character, (a nice feature is that you can switch between "Tekken" style controls and "Street Fighter" style controls). My only irk is the way the health system works, in that you just get 2 flat layers to deplete as opposed to rounds like in most fighting games, so if someone gets a lead, they're likely to stay there instead of the tried and true best out of 3.

Yet it has a lot of single player content too, so I feel everybody wins in that instance, plenty of battle types and S.T.A.R Labs challenges as well that mix it up quite well.

The health/round system is different, but I kinda like it. After all, if Lex and Supes are duking it out, I doubt it'd be in rounds. When someones first health bar is depleted, the character that did the damage knock the enemy down and taunt to show end of the fist round at least resetting the match stance in a way.

In VS you can always rematch to best of three like my friends and I have been doing :D

Earnest Cavalli:

BrotherRool:

This is, like, the highest praise I could possibly receive for this piece. Glad you liked it, as you are exactly the sort of person I hope to aim my fighting game reviews at. It's a surprisingly inscrutable genre for those who don't view themselves as hardcore fighting game fans, so my goal is to try to demystify the concept for gamers who are repulsed by the worryingly insular population that has claimed these sorts of titles as their own.

And if you dig the review, and have an interest in fighters, Injustice is a great place to start. It features a great balance between hardcore mechanics and user-friendly, intuitive controls. Coupled with a very pleasant learning curve, I'd recommend this game to anyone with at least a modicum of interest in fighters, comics, or games in general.

Hmm... Then I have just one remaining question (well, two, actually, but they are closely related):

Does it have local, offline multiplayer, and can I set myself up in a battle against a computer controlled bot?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then I may have to pick this up... (And it'd be the first fighting game to convince me to do so - besides Smash Bros, that is)

I belong to the group that this game is directly marketed at, so I'd probably get it even if it was complete shit.

However, it seems like I have nothing to worry about; I'm gonna buy it, and pick up Lobo as soon as I get the chance.

The_Darkness:
Hmm... Then I have just one remaining question (well, two, actually, but they are closely related):

Does it have local, offline multiplayer, and can I set myself up in a battle against a computer controlled bot?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then I may have to pick this up... (And it'd be the first fighting game to convince me to do so - besides Smash Bros, that is)

Yeah, it absolutely has both of those options and dozens of variations and modifiers for each, allowing you to set up basically any kind of match you could imagine.

Enjoy your new fighting game.

Funny, the game is good, but there have been a few bugs I've noticed, one is that the zombie mode dlc does not work. Another is at times I cannot access the online mode and the game says my internet is disconnected, but at the same time I'm voice chatting my buddy in another city over the headset. Also, Batman's costumes are legit shit. Luckily I got the arkham city dlc skins as well. Another beef I have is that no alternate skins should be unlocked by online play IMO, some of us are not nearly good enough to beat a ranked opponent thanks

chozo_hybrid:

elvor0:

Thunderous Cacophony:

Yet it has a lot of single player content too, so I feel everybody wins in that instance, plenty of battle types and S.T.A.R Labs challenges as well that mix it up quite well.

The health/round system is different, but I kinda like it. After all, if Lex and Supes are duking it out, I doubt it'd be in rounds. When someones first health bar is depleted, the character that did the damage knock the enemy down and taunt to show end of the fist round at least resetting the match stance in a way.

In VS you can always rematch to best of three like my friends and I have been doing :D

Oh quite quite, the amount of single player content is excellent, which you're right, is a win win for everyone, I was just saying for fighters, mulitplayer is generally the focus :D I picked it up today and did the entire story in one sitting, so it was certainly engrossing, some of the plot elements felt a bit hamfisted or stretched down the slippy slope, but for what it was it was good fun (I think the Injustice for All episodes of Justice League was a better version of the same story).

Looking forward to doing the STAR labs stuff, as I did a bit of the Red Son stuff and that was pretty cool, plus it gives them the ability to release little mini campaigns like that.

The round thing isn't really a problem, I think I just need to think of it as one bar rather than 2. It's just one of those things that I'm so used to not having it throws me a little, the way it is in Injustice makes far more sense in context.

I couldn't wait for this, I played the demo the other day, can cancelled my pre-order the next day. I find this review a little generous to say the least.

Awesome. I've been on the fence about this game for the last couple weeks, but this review and the comments here have pretty much sold me on it. Thanks folks.

I like the game. I don't like that you can get combo'd to death in multiplayer without being able to move. I guess that's just part of the genre though.

Well, okay, but how does it play?

Does it require more direct, deliberate input like Tekken, wherein button mashing literally will cause you to recycle the same punch or kick, or does it feature a high propensity for cancels and substitutions ala MvC?
Is the movement built around dashing in and anti-air, or are empty jumps safe?

You talked a lot about the content and presentation of the game, but didn't really go into much detail, and only had one paragraph dedicated to the part that matters most about a fighter (and even then you only mentioned the special attack input options). The mechanics.

What I'm getting at I guess is: does it play like MK9 with a DC skin, and if not, what would you put the input and metagame closest to? As a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge fighter fan, and a small wallet, I kind of need to know what I'd be getting into buying this.

Edit: I live in an area where high-speed broadband is barely a step above dial-up. Downloading the demo would literally take over a day.

I've been a big DC/Mortal Kombat fan since pretty much birth and my expectations for this game were pretty high due to the successes of MK9. Injustice blew the doors off aforementioned expectations. Although the story may have been over the top in some areas, it was short, sweet, to the point and did not overstay its welcome and sufficed as a good retelling. And I can definitely say this game's net code is leaps and bounds over MK9's. Good job Netherrealm studios!

I didn't enjoy the Demo much, it felt too stiff for me so i'll have to postpone my purchase. Although this means i can spend that money on Persona 4 Arena, i live in Britain so it isn't out yet.

Good review overall :)

Am I the only person who felt the review seemed a bit unpolished? The actual opinions themselves were fine but the overall execution seemed a bit lackluster IMO. No offense meant, just an observation.

Superman's super punch is pretty awesome looking.

Most of the super moves in general all look spectacular, the environment attacks do too.

Parakeettheprawn:
Am I the only person who felt the review seemed a bit unpolished? The actual opinions themselves were fine but the overall execution seemed a bit lackluster IMO. No offense meant, just an observation.

Nope. I felt the same way.

elvor0:
Snip.

How long was the campaign in all? Curious, as I only just did a couple of Batman's fights before I had to go to work.

As for the round thing, you'll get used to it in time =D Just like any new idea in a videogame, takes time to get used to all that sort of stuff.

chozo_hybrid:

elvor0:
Snip.

How long was the campaign in all? Curious, as I only just did a couple of Batman's fights before I had to go to work.

As for the round thing, you'll get used to it in time =D Just like any new idea in a videogame, takes time to get used to all that sort of stuff.

The campaigns pretty short, i think i blasted through it in about 4 hours although theres plenty of other single-player content to keep you occupied

Gameslayer_93:

chozo_hybrid:

elvor0:
Snip.

The campaigns pretty short, i think i blasted through it in about 4 hours although theres plenty of other single-player content to keep you occupied

I got through the MK one pretty quick, so that's not surprising. Better then other fighting games though. Thanks :D

somehow this mashup of disparate styles makes Injustice feel better, and more fluid than any prior Mortal Kombat games, which have always been a bit stiff in comparison to their Japanese counterparts.

Really? Because I personally feel like MK9 is absolutely the most fluid game of all. I've tried a bit of the Japanese counterparts, but the main reason I didn't get into them is exactly because I feel they're less fluid and more stiff than MK9. Mind you, I haven't played fighting games for a while and I've stepped back in with MK9, so I could well be biased, but it's just my experience.

Anyway, the game's pretty brilliant. I've played the demo for a week or so now and finally getting my hands on it last night, my mate and I had a ton of fun with it. The only thing lacking for me is the 2vs2, because I feel the fights are a bit short when they're one on one, especially considering 20% combos are the basics, 30% combos are easy as hell and as MK9 has taught us, 40% combos are the standard when you start getting good with the game. Throw in the fact that interacting with the environment can get you a huge hit (not sure on the percentages, but a wall kick does 33% without any combo leading up to it, >40% with and the throwable objects do at least 20%) and you get rather short matches for my taste.

The main reason I miss it though is when I have more than a single person over to play with, it just means more downtime and I enjoyed the tag ladder in MK9 as well, playing with a friend and finding new ways and challenges to kick the computers arse.

Still, the combat flows well (though differently from MK9, takes a bit of getting used to) and the environment attacks really fit in with the whole superhero fighting theme. The roster is decent and fun and while I have a special sort of hatred for Lex Luthor and Doomsday over the whole shield thing, I don't feel any characters are really overpowered compared to the rest (which is truly an accomplishment on release day if you ask me). I like that it's not just a reskin of MK9 as well, it adds a lot of new things and ways to fight.

Chairman Miaow:
Really glad to hear it's a good game. Going to give it a rental to try it out myself, and then make a decision.

There's a demo, you can play local Versus with Batman, Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor available. There's also a ladder (Battle) with those three opponents and Doomsday, so might suit your purposes of trying it out (free ftw :) ). Not sure how familiar you are with some concepts though, myself, I learned several things (that I saw the computer do, but had no clue how to do myself) when playing the Tutorial (which is sadly only available in the full game).

Earnest Cavalli:

Also, depends on your friends, but I find fighting games are one of the best party game genres, so it's great to have with a friend or few over :)

I'm loving it so far, I don't know why people want fighting games to be stuck in the 90s!

We want content :D

Red X:
I didn't enjoy the Demo much, it felt too stiff for me so i'll have to postpone my purchase. Although this means i can spend that money on Persona 4 Arena, i live in Britain so it isn't out yet.

Good review overall :)

I had the same feeling, coming from MK9. How long have you played it? After a few days, I've gotten completely used to it, it flows pretty well and isn't stiff at all, it's just a bit different and takes a tad getting used to. I'd recommend trying it a bit more, perhaps renting it, if you're into fighting games, it's a really good title imo :)

Tanakh:

The hardcore tournament set will be the final arbiter of how successful Injustice is in the competitive fighting game world (and this verdict will take at least a few weeks to pan out), but initial impressions are promising.

Really? Because I remember seeing Dethstrokes ad nauseam at the recent pro tournament, a couple of Aquamans & Supermans and one of the other characters here and there. After watching around 3 hours of it I never saw 12 playable characters, which account for half of it's rooster.

I think a game that focuses on online PvP should be way more careful on it's balance, however it might just be that zoning characters are safer to pick up when money is on the line. I disagree with the quote, think the initial impression of it's balance is terrible but the game shows promise after a couple of patches.

Dude, look at any fighting game tournament and you'll see the same thing. I remember watching TTT2 tournament, almost every single round had the same characters. Fact is, no matter how much you balance things, in PvP, there's always going to be that one or few characters that just come out ahead thanks to certain abilities they have. Hardcore players always go for the same things, they value math over all else and mathematically, someone's ALWAYS going to be better.

Soxafloppin:
I'm loving it so far, I don't know why people want fighting games to be stuck in the 90s!

We want content :D

In a perfect world, both the amount of content presented in Injustice/MK9 and the excellent mechanics of games like MvC3/Street Fighter/King of Fighters (XIII mainly) would be able to come together to form the perfect game.

Unfortunately, it seems it's just not possible...yet.

As someone who enjoyed his time with MK9 but didn't play it for very long and enjoys what the Eastern front has to offer more on the fighting game front...I'm extremely on the fence with this game.

Personally, I care more for how the game actually plays and how good it feels to me. I didn't actually like how MK9 felt nearly as much as the Capcom and SNK offerings I've played so I'm leaning towards not getting this.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here