Dead Island: Riptide Review - Better Off Dead

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dead Island: Riptide Review - Better Off Dead

Good ideas smothered by technical issues and bad choices.

Read Full Article

I'm not sure if the problem is on my end, but I'm getting a 404 when I try to check out the review.

Link's broken for me too. Shame, looking forward to seeing this game getting shat on.

Aaaaand that derp was my fault. Sorry, folks, should be sorted now!

Okay, so avoiding this one. Too bad, the first was pretty interesting.

I also got the 404, but it's working now.

OT: I wasn't really expecting this to be a great game so I'm not surprised at this review. The fact that it's chugging when too much is going on is why I think we need a new console generation. It might just be sloppy work (or both) though.

After playing the first one, I kinda predicted such a bad score for this one. I expected more from Dead Island then Borderlands with Melee weapons and Zombies. Instead, I got a buggy mess that was horribly written, horribly scripted and horribly boring to play.

What makes me so frustrated is I really, really loved the first one. It was one of my favorite games of that year. But this? No. Just...no.

Susan Arendt:
What makes me so frustrated is I really, really loved the first one. It was one of my favorite games of that year. But this? No. Just...no.

That really sucks to hear, as I loved co-oping the first one with some friends. Is this a straight no or a 'wait until a few patches and grab it on sale otherwise don't really bother'? Because more zombie slaughter sounds good to me, but if it's buggier than an Obsidian game tested by Bethesda with no real improvements I might sadly give this a pass.

The first game was one of the few games I didn't enjoy that I was looking forward to a sequel for, it was alright but could have been so much more which is what I hoped this would be.

Sounds like I'll be ignoring this one and trying to force my way through the first one again if I ever get an extreme need to hit zombies any time soon.

Fayathon:

Susan Arendt:

That really sucks to hear, as I loved co-oping the first one with some friends. Is this a straight no or a 'wait until a few patches and grab it on sale otherwise don't really bother'? Because more zombie slaughter sounds good to me, but if it's buggier than an Obsidian game tested by Bethesda with no real improvements I might sadly give this a pass.

Definitely wait. Even if they don't patch it, so long as you nab it on a good sale, you'll be happy. Playing with friends can still be a LOT of fun, but overall the game isn't nearly as good an experience as the first one.

Susan Arendt:

Fayathon:

Susan Arendt:

Definitely wait. Even if they don't patch it, so long as you nab it on a good sale, you'll be happy. Playing with friends can still be a LOT of fun, but overall the game isn't nearly as good an experience as the first one.

Good to hear it isn't terribad, my zombie hunting buddies will be a mite disappointed, but we've got other games to tide us fortunately, jolly co-operation can wait in terms of the undead. (At least zombie undead anyways.)

God. fucking. Dammit.

See, first time, they spent a really fucking long time in development hell, and, shit, they're deep silver, they're hardly the biggest, most reputable company around.

All that considered, I enjoyed dead island thoroughly.

This time...no goddamn excuses. It wasn't in development hell, it barely changed from the first game, and they had a ton of feedback to work with.

The only excuse they had was releasing a little under a year and a half after the last game, and let's be honest, nobody was begging and ranting for a dead island sequal. They could have took their damn time. Fixed the issues. Tried to give a shit about the story. But no, they had to cash in.

that it only got a written review instead of a video review plus written review like the first one speaks volumes...

i am sure the game is just a mod that was turned to a standalone game only to reek in some money. or at least it feels like it.

Yeeahh, I enjoyed the first one and was hoping this one would have fixed, y'know, some of the annoyances about the first one. It was a pretty solid game, but... Uggghh. Definite pass on this.

I really had zero faith that this would be good, thanks for the heads-up confirmation Susan. At least there's nothing to distract me from that 1999 run now...

I loved the first game and was secretly hoping they would fix some of the issues and make the greatest game ever. I feel like a well done zombie RPG would be like printing money so why can't anyone do it right?!? I appreciate the review and suppose I'll wait until the price drop on this one.

rhizhim:
that it only got a written review instead of a video review plus written review like the first one speaks volumes...

i am sure the game is just a mod that was turned to a standalone game only to reek in some money. or at least it feels like it.

Actually, that was just a factor of me wanting as much time as possible with the game to make sure that it had the issues I thought it had. If you play a game on a certain day and have a bad time, that might not be the game's fault, per se. But I played all weekend long and just got angrier and angrier as I went.

So...well, I guess it does speak volumes, but perhaps not quite in the way you might mean.

Do the weapons still degrade completely after about half a dozen hits like they did in the first?

Assassin Xaero:
Do the weapons still degrade completely after about half a dozen hits like they did in the first?

Depends on their durability and whether or not you've chosen the perks that extend their lifespan. I never really had a problem, but then I'm also hyper aware of fixing them whenever I get near a workbench.

I had a bad feeling about this game when i saw it was starting out at 40 dollars instead of the usual 60 dollars for new games. it sounds like this is a expansion turned sequel much like SR4 is which is too bad it looks like deep silver was counting on fan loyalty and some gimmicks to sell this one.

The original dead island trailer had everyone so excited about a new type of videogame that could rival resident evil and now it seems it's just doing a death spiral.

Guess who pre-ordered this game on Steam?
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Hope they patch most of the bugs.

Xan Krieger:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Can't you just cancel your pre-order?

RejjeN:

Xan Krieger:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Can't you just cancel your pre-order?

I don't think that's possible, especially as I've already given the pre-order bonus (a copy of Dead Island Game of the Year edition) to a friend.

meh, paying off my preorder before work in an hour or so for the PS3 version.

I played the first one before any patches and most of the issues complained about here are "Waaaahhhh its tooooo harrrddd!!!" which were, frankly, issues the first one had too. And I had a blast with it and have few doubts about me enjoying this game too.

Dang, really disappointed to hear this. I also really enjoyed coop in the first Dead Island (despite its flaws) and was looking forward to more of the same, at least. A friend already gifted it to me, so hopefully there will be some enjoyment to be had here. If I pick up alcohol and it STILL replaces the weapon in my hands though, I'm gonna be all >:(

That reminds me, I also still have the pre-order bonus copy of Dead Island GOTY in my Steam inventory. If anyone's interested, send me a PM and the first one I see gets it.

Honestly, I was expecting more of the same from this game. I'd be fine with that as I really enjoyed the first. This review saddens me but not enough to not buy the game. I'll definitely wait for a juicy Steam sale though.

Hmm, so this game is a...

*puts on sunglasses*

Dogs Breakfast?

Sorry, I've been waiting to use that one since they played that freakin add before every Youtube video.

Like with the original Dead Island, I'll pick this up once the modding community has gotten its hands on it and made some awesome stuff.

Susan Arendt:

and thats all i needed to hear right there i liked exploring the island. if they had of gone more open world and had a collecting supplies and building a stronghold it would of been my perfect game. guess ill wait for dead state

Man, I am now very disappoint.

The first one reminds me of Alpha Protocol: An excellent game if you're willing to overlook a lot of stuff...

This has so much potential and it's just getting thrown away. If anyone needs me, I'll be over here having a sad.

Kroxile:
meh, paying off my preorder before work in an hour or so for the PS3 version.

I played the first one before any patches and most of the issues complained about here are "Waaaahhhh its tooooo harrrddd!!!" which were, frankly, issues the first one had too. And I had a blast with it and have few doubts about me enjoying this game too.

So, complaining about the copious bugs, the bad story, and the repetitious design is me saying the game is "too hard"? Yeah, ok, sure.

Azaraxzealot:
Like with the original Dead Island, I'll pick this up once the modding community has gotten its hands on it and made some awesome stuff.

Dead Island mods? Any I should look for? I didn't even know mods existed for the game.

Xan Krieger:
<---
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

hahaha, I lol-ed

but seriously though dammit >_>

was somewhat looking forward to this one..

after seeing multiple reviews this game is totally hopeless =_=

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 58872)