Jimquisition: Perfect Pasta Sauce

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Instead of a raving lunatic with an ego that I used to ignore... I'm actually starting to enjoy listening to Jim Sterling. You got substance, Jim, and sometimes it even makes it into your videos. Cudos!

MorganL4:
Hang on, Jim said "Don't innovate because of something you found in a focus group." But Prego made their extra chunky because of a focus group..... So, color me confuzzed.

There are two types of focus group the good one and the bad one:

In the case of Prego they provided a range of 45 different options which were varied and not biased towards any particular element. This is an example of good research where it did something positive.

Unfortunately focus groups are mainly used for playtesting are not good focus groups especially for shooters, read this article, ignore the opinions of Tripwire (I don't want a flame war) and ask what the research would result in if they took what the focus group said literally.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Short answer, a CoD clone. Developers would try and make the game look and feel like a CoD game and make the perfect game. But as Jim mentioned before, if someone likes CoD, they are already having their fill from CoD and so they are actually reducing their potential customer base.

Jim, you just saved the game industry again. I think you can be the Howard Moskowitz of Games. I just watched the Malcolm Gladwell TED video and I realize why we have the "Average Coffee rating" problem in games.
Games and game tastes are to complex for focus testing to provide meaningful information.
Because the many people that work on a game can never agree on what is best, or best in their game, they look to metacritic and the features of top selling games to reach consensus.

Meaning no Horizontal segmentation.

Whenever I buy a game based on a rating, I never like it as much as when a friend recommended a game to me. That is because I know my friends taste and know if he is in the same game-taste segment then me.

Amazon can tell you what you might like based on what people similar to you have liked, but this information needs to be in a format that game makers can use to realize not how they can make their game perfect, but to whom they can make their game perfect.

I suspect Valve with Steam already have a huge lead on other companies with the information they have access to.

That was great. It was... fantastic. That was one of the best episodes I've ever seen you do so far, Jim. I know that there is no perfect episode, but this is no doubt one of the perfect episodes.

>malcolm gladwell

my body is ready

The problem with horror in video games is that the modern market is dominated intellectual properties that are driven forward relentlessly by sequel, after sequel, after sequel. The best and most fondly remembered horror serials do not focus obsessively on continuity for it's own sake, but instead using a bridging device to loosely link a set of otherwise completely unrelated stories.

Compare the original Evil Dead to the subsequent films in the original Evil Dead trilogy, or any horror movie franchise that has collapsed under the weight of it's own unnecessary sequels.

Who'd have thought it? Jim seems to be a republican. I mean republican in the original sense, not the modern American, right-wing, mega rich, evil bastard, bigoted, homophobic, woman-hating, racist kind of republican.

I can't wait to try Dishonoured for the very reasons Jim describes. The only thing that keeps me away is the expansions. I'm hoping a GOTY edition or a sale. Bethesda have gotten very good at making expansions for games that I like, and making me spend more money than I should. It's taught me to be patient.

talideon:

I think it's because people looked at the first game, saw a guy a guy with a gun and a third person perspective, and though "oh, this must be a third person shooter!"

Of course it wasn't; it was an RPG. And so those people bitched about the shooting mechanics being janky and not skill based, which would be fair if it were a third person shooter. But it wasn't; it was an RPG.

Being unable to aim your gun straight when you're a newbie at Level 0, fine, fair enough. However being an N7 means you're already an elite operative and makes not being able to hold your rifle steady foolish and weird. Also, whether they liked it or not, when BioWare decided that guns would be the order of the day, that makes the game a shooter or at the very least, shooting is a central mechanic and should not be completely at the mercy of stats.

I would agree however, that the removal of the inventory, Mako/planet exploration and the deeper skill sets did detract from the overall RPG feel of ME2, indeed all ME1 needs to basically become the perfect game is the cover/fire system from ME2/3, a revamp of the inventory and a HD texture retouch.

I know I'm missing the point of the video slightly with this comment. I don't care. XCOM and XCOM: Enemy Unknown were always developed seperately, by different people, at the same time. XCOM: Enemy Unknown had been at some stage of development since 2006. That would be 4 YEARS before the XCOM shooter announcement. The backlash against the XCOM shooter did in no way lead to the 'spinoff' development of Enemy Unknown. These projects are related only in name.
Spare me a lecture in aggression, this mistake has been made so many times and it really grinds my gears

So mini rant aside, once again Jim is right on the money. Making cool original games is the only way to find an audience for them - and the potential audiences can be huge. Let's hope we get some more awesome IP's rolling out on the PS4/Xbox whatever.

Sheo_Dagana:
Holy shit... that comparison between "AAA" Games and inbreeding royal families is insanely profound. Well put, Jim!

Yeah, it's interesting that industry stagnation functions much the same way as inbreeding until something different is brought in.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot to add to this one. I keep trying to come up with something to expand upon or disagree with just for conversations sake, but companies like Activision and EA are pretty much doing exactly what was stated in the video with trying to make some kind of ultimate universal selling formula. Not saying the independent development side of things doesn't have it's pitfalls, but they at least have variety and reasonable sales goals with their games, bringing back long dead genres and reviving classics that were never really dead to begin with.

In a way I think we are in another 90s situation, only instead of the Japanese industry leading the way it's the independent crowd funded developers and some mid tier studios making games like Planetary Annihilation, Star Citizen, Torment, X-COM enemy Unknown, and others.

I do agree with the episode and it really is a shame. Good thing the Indie-market is develpoing more and more to counteract.

Same shit in the music industry, where people are searching for the next Bieber to milk, while destroying the poor guy(he really is someone to be pitied) and releasing mass produced crap that lowers standards and apparently the intelligence of its audience(fans claiming the Beatles are ripping off Bieber and equal stupidity).

Sorry, but no. Every generation always claims that "their" music is the best and everthing after is crap and "how can young people listen to this shit". Search every older musicvideo on youtube, its always the same, always wrong. There has - never - been a greater variaty of music than today, you just don't find them on MTV.

What fairly untapped game themes can I think of?
Here is a small list:
*Tanks Sims (I'll give Graviteam and Esim credit for their work, but there still have been few tank sims)
*A reboot of the Commandos games (Stealth RTS games)
*Flight sims specializing in RTS and Tactics
*Naval Warfare games (especially true for pre-victorian era)
*Pirate themed RPGs (Risen 2 doesn't count)
*World War 1 and Korean War games
*Dungeon Keeper games

Tell me what you folks think, but there is little doubt that there is an audience for these sorts of games that is largely getting ignored.

EstrogenicMuscle:
Lots of stuff I cut you should read whoever missed it.

I hate the video game industry today. I really do. It is so alienating as someone who grew up with gaming in the 80s and 90s. I want the PlayStation 2 era video game culture back at least. People keep talking about a video game industry crash. I don't know about a total crash, but I want this current gaming culture to "crash" and be replaced by something better. I need some fresh air, because at this rate, I start to wonder if I need another hobby. And I love video games.

Beautiful! Something I should have said. I never thought of using the word alienated but it sums up my feelings perfectly. It's annoying so many people enjoy all these new titles while I can hardly find a bloody game to even just capture my interests. No, they label you a cynic as an attack, when it's actually true because we can't find any of the genres I love. And even when they're their, they have been put together very poorly or just copied from something better.

It may seem cruel, but I really want all the entertainment industry's to crash since all of them seem afraid to even try something a little different without aiming to please 5 different audiences. This is rock bottom right now. There are too many people in the entertainment industry that just shouldn't be there. The main reason for everything is money and you can tell by glossing over it all quickly, and it's sad that other people who feel like me have to keep pushing their thoughts out so it doesn't get any worse.

b.w.irenicus:

Same shit in the music industry, where people are searching for the next Bieber to milk, while destroying the poor guy(he really is someone to be pitied) and releasing mass produced crap that lowers standards and apparently the intelligence of its audience(fans claiming the Beatles are ripping off Bieber and equal stupidity).

Sorry, but no. Every generation always claims that "their" music is the best and everthing after is crap and "how can young people listen to this shit". Search every older musicvideo on youtube, its always the same, always wrong. There has - never - been a greater variaty of music than today, you just don't find them on MTV.

Get off. I'm so sick of this lame argument. Look at all the amazing pop bands, rocks bands and other types which were also very popular in the 70s. What fucking bands today compares to all that? They'll live on forever for a good fucking reason.

I don't even know how you can say he is wrong and think you are right. What makes you so sure you know whats best? Also, the music back then is very different now so you're inaccurate in that way as well.

b.w.irenicus:
I do agree with the episode and it really is a shame. Good thing the Indie-market is develpoing more and more to counteract.

I have a similar opinion, but I think the difference is that now you have to look at the indie stuff to find a variety of good music. The music industry was just more diverse in the X0s as there was a greater emphasis on it culturally. Now, I can't tell the difference between mainstream music as its all autotuned BS. Hell, even "hipster" music like Electro and Dubstep is starting to sound the same.

Submotion Orchestra is one of my favourite bands, and they just couldn't exist in the 70s as the Genres they play around with apart from Jazz didn't even exist.

Good video, this time i both agree with you, and the way it's said... Not as childish as some of your other videos

But... but I thought the XCOM fps looked cool.

Gordon_4:

talideon:
I think it's because people looked at the first game, saw a guy a guy with a gun and a third person perspective, and though "oh, this must be a third person shooter!"

Of course it wasn't; it was an RPG. And so those people bitched about the shooting mechanics being janky and not skill based, which would be fair if it were a third person shooter. But it wasn't; it was an RPG.

Being unable to aim your gun straight when you're a newbie at Level 0, fine, fair enough. However being an N7 means you're already an elite operative and makes not being able to hold your rifle steady foolish and weird. Also, whether they liked it or not, when BioWare decided that guns would be the order of the day, that makes the game a shooter or at the very least, shooting is a central mechanic and should not be completely at the mercy of stats.

Can't say it bothered me in any of my playthroughs. Regardless of the way the game is plotted, I play RPGs like I'm starting out with a weak character and have to level them up to be a badass.

I find it peculiar that we don't mind the degree of randomness when high-fantasy weaponry is involved, but it becomes a problem when the setting is a more realistic sci-fi one.

Gordon_4:
I would agree however, that the removal of the inventory, Mako/planet exploration and the deeper skill sets did detract from the overall RPG feel of ME2, indeed all ME1 needs to basically become the perfect game is the cover/fire system from ME2/3, a revamp of the inventory and a HD texture retouch.

And a little bit more variety in the layout of the prefab bases.

talideon:

Gordon_4:

talideon:

Can't say it bothered me in any of my playthroughs. Regardless of the way the game is plotted, I play RPGs like I'm starting out with a weak character and have to level them up to be a badass.

I find it peculiar that we don't mind the degree of randomness when high-fantasy weaponry is involved, but it becomes a problem when the setting is a more realistic sci-fi one.

Well in fairness, in most games in that setting, you do start at level 0 so to speak; new recruit to the Grey Wardens or Hawke freshly drafted into the army for the two Dragon Age games. Those are typically a full heroes journey from start to finish.

Mass Effect deliberately starts you after your cred as a badass is well established with events like The Skyllian Blitz or Torfan or Akuze and has you successfully inducted as a member of a special forces group who's selection would make the SAS look like the reservists.

Hence why Dark Souls doesn't and never did need, an easy mode.

The big reason everything is getting distilled down into crap is because developers/artists don't have the power to make the games they want because they saw $$$$$ when EA, Ubisoft, and BlizzAck bought them all up. EA doles out the cash, EA calls the shots, not the developer.

Had all of these studios remained independent, we'd be have a different discussion.

does anyone reads malcolm gladwells book outliers?

Damn Jim....DAMN! NAILED IT!!!!

Not even invitation is all that necessary, what we need is just a little verity.

Great episode Jim, one of your best yet :)

I know of soldier of fortune double helix random missions that where made and it is something that's rogue like it always added a new flavor between shootout or stealth depending on your taste of gameplay i loved that.

I've been saying this for years, and it's part of one of the game ideas I've been working on for a long while now (a game that, essentially, is Ultima 3 + Starflight, because there's not enough of either type of game coming out). Many of the genres I enjoy most are certainly not popular enough to warrant big or frequent releases, and many of the franchises I've enjoyed have been casual'd and altered to something unmistakeably foreign (FFXIII is a fantastic, if commonly cited, version of that... even if people think it'd good, it's very difficult to argue it provides the same challenges and rewards as earlier titles. The other three big ones are titles where the "main" feeling is relegated to the handheld games, and the newer, seemingly unrelated titles get the big budgets and the big releases: Castlevania, Sonic, and Legend of Zelda (To be fair, C:HD, Colours, and the announced LoZ4 are good starts to remedying these, and I'm aware of them, but, well, I still say it's too early to call)).

More and more, I find myself drawn to the PC-titles and indie games. In itself, I don't see this as a bad thing, but it's no longer the "Quality for quirk" tradeoff it once was, and I don't think enough people appreciate that yet, so I feel like this bullshit is detracting from superior games for no reason, but I can't think of a way to fix it.

Regardless, awesome ep, Jim, and it's given rhetoric to ideas I've had for a long while, so thank you for that.

Also, the word pasta is now meaningless, thanks.

Jim is the kind of guy I'd punch in the face and then have a beer with.

... then I'd punch him again.

Thank god the Indie scene is becoming so strong and we see more varied options. Although most of them are just an inch deep.

Jimothy Sterling:
Perfect Pasta Sauce

This week, Jimquisition gives you a brief lesson in pasta sauce, and ties it into the misguided quest for perfection currently plaguing the so-called "AAA" title scene.

Watch Video

Every day I pray to Jim that game developers and hardware manufacturers some how get linked to the Jimquisition so Jim can firmly pull their pretentious heads out of their absurdly stupid asses.

I.Muir:
I know I would like more plat formers that are not Mario

I mean just look at how the killed Banjo Kazooie by turning into a racer and stating as much in game. They literally said they were broadening the demographic and assumed gamers nowadays just want to shoot things with some serious 4th wall breaking. DAMN YOU MICROSOFT I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID TO RARE!

I do understand, however, that it's not really a true Banjo-Kazooie game at all. The levels are bland, the characters are boring, the platforming (what little of it there was) was meh, etc.

HOWEVER, having said that, the vehicle building itself, the core of the game, is awesome and worthy of praise JUST by itself. It was an innovative gameplay mechanic that was really neat and flexible and it also provided some great but short-lived online fun and shenanigans. It was also cool to make and trade blueprints. It got to where the best ones were hoarded like holofoil, 1st edition Charizard cards on a school playground. Just that alone was worth the price of admission. I only wish one didn't have to slog through the boring single-player to get all the parts.

Anyway, in summary, was the single-player bad? Yeah but not unbearably so. Was the core of the gameplay good? You bet your ASS. To this day, I still build stuff.

BTW, if any Nuts and Bolts builders see this post, PM me for my gamertag if you want to swap blueprints. I got some pretty freaking sweet ones over the years...

Arnoxthe1:

I.Muir:
I know I would like more plat formers that are not Mario

I mean just look at how the killed Banjo Kazooie by turning into a racer and stating as much in game. They literally said they were broadening the demographic and assumed gamers nowadays just want to shoot things with some serious 4th wall breaking. DAMN YOU MICROSOFT I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID TO RARE!

I do understand, however, that it's not really a true Banjo-Kazooie game at all. The levels are bland, the characters are boring, the platforming (what little of it there was) was meh, etc.

HOWEVER, having said that, the vehicle building itself, the core of the game, is awesome and worthy of praise JUST by itself. It was an innovative gameplay mechanic that was really neat and flexible and it also provided some great but short-lived online fun and shenanigans. It was also cool to make and trade blueprints. It got to where the best ones were hoarded like holofoil, 1st edition Charizard cards on a school playground. Just that alone was worth the price of admission. I only wish one didn't have to slog through the boring single-player to get all the parts.

Anyway, in summary, was the single-player bad? Yeah but not unbearably so. Was the core of the gameplay good? You bet your ASS. To this day, I still build stuff.

BTW, if any Nuts and Bolts builders see this post, PM me for my gamertag if you want to swap blueprints. I got some pretty freaking sweet ones over the years...

Those innovating game play mechanics have been around since Lego racers on the 64.

The over world of Banjo Threeie was obviously designed for something else, it really pales in comparison to things like the overworld from diddy kong racing.

Worst thing I ever bought from x box live, stuff those mystery eggs it had me collect in the previous games.

Holy shit! I normally disagree with a few small points in Jim's videos, but this video... This video hit it out of the damned park! Jim is absolutely right, and made an excellent comparison. Though, I was hoping for a perfect pasta sauce recipe...

Eh I really hate how much nuts and bolts gets kicked around. God damn it I loved that game :P ya I said it. IT was a game marketed with notable characters that filled a niche audience, vehicle building games. As far as those types of games were the mechanics were pretty damn deep and you had a ton of freedom to make what ever you wanted to do what ever you wanted to do. The multi player with people that knew how to build was amazing. like soccer, who says don't put guns on your vehicle, or a cage to trap the ball, or jets to lift it the bit you were allowed to, or vacuums to push or pull the ball out or in, or more guns.

and for everyone that brings up banjo what about kameo damn it ;p as someone once said they wanted kameo 2, do people even know what it is? nope it was DOA. It was a launch title of about 10 games on the 360. Rare platformer that was retty good and no one talks about or remembers that ;p Thats why we don't have banjo 3, because a new If platformer that came out from like the king of 3d platformers sold like crap, and retro games and characters weren't cool back then and even cool when nuts and bolts came out ;p. It's like people just stumbled on it years later and says this isn't banjo and done.

I.Muir:

Those innovating game play mechanics have been around since Lego racers on the 64.

The over world of Banjo Threeie was obviously designed for something else, it really pales in comparison to things like the overworld from diddy kong racing.

Worst thing I ever bought from x box live, stuff those mystery eggs it had me collect in the previous games.

Can Lego Racer let you build a Mad Cat? How about a full VTOL? Ballistic Missile? Spring chair? Drill Machine? How about stuff that aren't even vehicles? I made a sweet chess board once just out of vehicle parts. Also, not that it was the games fault, but Lego Racers doesn't have any online capability.

Just because they were the first to do it doesn't mean they did it well.

Also, as I said, I know the single player sucks but that's not what I was praising anyway.

Eve Charm:
Eh I really hate how much nuts and bolts gets kicked around. God damn it I loved that game :P ya I said it. IT was a game marketed with notable characters that filled a niche audience, vehicle building games. As far as those types of games were the mechanics were pretty damn deep and you had a ton of freedom to make what ever you wanted to do what ever you wanted to do. The multi player with people that knew how to build was amazing. like soccer, who says don't put guns on your vehicle, or a cage to trap the ball, or jets to lift it the bit you were allowed to, or vacuums to push or pull the ball out or in, or more guns.

and for everyone that brings up banjo what about kameo damn it ;p as someone once said they wanted kameo 2, do people even know what it is? nope it was DOA. It was a launch title of about 10 games on the 360. Rare platformer that was retty good and no one talks about or remembers that ;p Thats why we don't have banjo 3, because a new If platformer that came out from like the king of 3d platformers sold like crap, and retro games and characters weren't cool back then and even cool when nuts and bolts came out ;p. It's like people just stumbled on it years later and says this isn't banjo and done.

You still play? Do you have any good blueprints?

Sad to say, I am one of those who are guilty of ignoring Kameo. But it wasn't special. I also ignored Viva Pinata and even Perfect Dark Zero.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here