Jimquisition: Perfect Pasta Sauce

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

ACE1918:

*Flight sims specializing in RTS and Tactics

I think simply "Flight sims" works on it's own as an untapped market, and what happened when someone decided to tap that market?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Customers have already paid the developers $8.7 million for a PC exclusive game that hasn't even been made yet.

I love the sound of your other untapped markets though, I'd love a FPS World War 1 game...

While I completely agree with everything Jim had to say in this video and while I think that the analogy between the pasta sauce and the game industry was brilliant, I'm kinda disappointed that nothing was said about homemade pasta sauce.

See, my grandparents; being Italian as fuck; are always eager to preach the benefits of making one's pasta sauce by oneself. Typically speaking, homemade pasta sauce is freaking amazing and miles ahead of store-bought jars of pasta sauce. If you do it right, that is.

The real secret, however, is not in the recipe, it's in how long you let the sauce sit. Just leave it to simmer for a little longer than normal and then leave it in the fridge for a couple of days; by the time you get around to actually eating the sauce, everything in it has had time to marinate and the flavors sort of combine and coexist. Basically, if you don't rush the project and if you allow the final product time to "mature" you'll almost always be met with a result that is much better than if you'd just made the sauce and eaten it on the same day.

With games, it seems that far too many publishers are too eager to quickly throw their ingredients into a sort of half-cooked casserole and catapult it into the faces of their customers. If they took their time and allowed the developers the extra time and money to really experiment with different recipes and fine tune their products, the end result would no doubt be a much higher quality game and of course plenty of profit for the people releasing it.

Fuck, now I'm hungry.

Just to be sure: is Jim referring to the talk by Malcolm Gladwell titled 'Choice, happiness and spaghetti sauce'?

Great video, and I completely agree. These days I actively avoid "AAA" publishers and as a result have been playing some of the best games I've ever played (DayZ, Arma 3, Distant Worlds, Walking Dead, Chivalry, Torchlight II, Terraria (and soon to be Starbound) etc etc etc.

Even though these single-track publishers won't make my chunky sauce, I'll damn well find it elsewhere!

I know I'm a bit late on this one, but I just want to say that this is probably my favorite episode of the Jimquisition.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here