Zero Punctuation: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Anyway, this was a pretty fun review. I figured he'd have some nice things to say about it, since his review of Luigi and Luigi: Luigi's Inside Story told us pretty well his opinion on the second of the two Mario Brothers.

And so Yahtzee gave a positive review for a Nintendo game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pZfedvBYF7k

TizzytheTormentor:

ex275w:

TizzytheTormentor:

Those buttons are placed awkwardly, not sure if want...

OT: Luigi's Mansion 2, definitely on my "want" list now, I have never played the first one, but after getting a gamecube controller and some GC games for my Wii a few years back, my only though was "I wish I owned a gamecube as a kid for the godly controller" Instead limited to using the beautiful controller at a friends house for some Super Smash Bros Melee.

The Wii U Pro controller looks pretty nice to me, but I've never minded any videogame controller except maybe the first Xbox controllers.

Luigi's Mansion 1 is pretty much a 3 hour tech demo for the Gamecube, so jumping into this one is probably a better idea, so if you want to get some more use for gamecube controllers get Windwaker, Mario Sunshine or the Pikmin games.

Got Windwaker (loved it) and Mario Sunshine (yet to play it) and I might get the Pikmin games later.

Also, I wished Yahtzee would review Fire Emblem: Awakening, but its a little late for that, would have been interesting to see what he thought of it.

My guess is that he doesn't like the franchise much because of all the shit he got for not knowing who Marth is. While he's recently liked turn-based games, (and admitted so) the animu style, and cliched story might turn him off. Maybe he tried Sacred Stones with the ambassador program, but that's unlikely. Also Fire Emblem came out in PAL regions some days ago, but I'll guess he's going to review Dead Island: Riptide next week.

so what you're saying is that this game really sucks.
I'm sorry for that pun.

Falsename:
FIRST!
Have to use this power for good not evil.... Uh..... Prophet from Crysis 3 is a total dickbag!!

*throws blue shell*

OT: I really enjoyed Dark Moon and in this day and age a game in which I actually want to play a new file instantly after beating the first one is a-okay in my book. I wish the ghosts had a little more personality and different designs like in the first one, but other than that it was great.

themilo504:
so what you're saying is that this game really sucks.
I'm sorry for that pun.

Now you're just misrepresenting it.

It occasionally blows and flashes, too.

Enlong:
Anyway, this was a pretty fun review. I figured he'd have some nice things to say about it, since his review of Luigi and Luigi: Luigi's Inside Story told us pretty well his opinion on the second of the two Mario Brothers.

Maybe Nintendo saw those reviews and made 2013 the year of Luigi so they can sway Yahtzee over to his side, Nintendo will gain Yahtzee's trust and then... one night, while Yahtzee is asleep, Nintendo will knife him. After that they'll release New Super Mario Bros. 3,4,5,6,7,8 and make Link to the Past 3,4,5,6,7.

So what I'm saying is I hope Mario & Luigi: Dream Team will be an enjoyable game and I hope Yahtzee enjoys it.

TizzytheTormentor:

Also, I wished Yahtzee would review Fire Emblem: Awakening, but its a little late for that, would have been interesting to see what he thought of it.

Is it? It released only last week in EU, do you know when the australian release date was?

Edit: Just checked: 20th April. It could be in one of the upcoming episodes.

GonzoGamer:
Damn you Yahtzee. Now I really want a Yorkie bar.
Still not sold on the 3ds though.

Anyone in the UK want to mail me a Yorkie?

Arrangements could be made *puts on a top hat and mustache* how much of your soul are you willing to sell me?

I had a feeling this one would fly by Yahtzee's critical spectrum wearing a 'I survived' T-Shirt.
Not many people I've spoken to dislike it. And especially those who didn't even place the first one. They're surprised this is a sequel.

Edit: hit the wrong quote button that first time.

TheKasp:

TizzytheTormentor:

Is it? It released only last week in EU, do you know when the australian release date was?

I honestly hope he does review it. I've already bought the game on release, beaten it a few times, and messed around with some DLC, but I would like to see his take on it since he normally hates JRPG's.

The game isn't perfect though, I know he would point out the dick move of an enemy spawning and moving the same turn.

Aw man, but I really like it when Yahtzee hits Nintendo a bunch. :(

ex275w:

Enlong:

Maybe Nintendo saw those reviews and made 2013 the year of Luigi so they can sway Yahtzee over to his side, Nintendo will gain Yahtzee's trust and then... one night, while Yahtzee is asleep, Nintendo will knife him. After that they'll release New Super Mario Bros. 3,4,5,6,7,8 and make Link to the Past 3,4,5,6,7.

So what I'm saying is I hope Mario & Luigi: Dream Team will be an enjoyable game and I hope Yahtzee enjoys it.

They'd make Link To The Past 3 before making Link To The Past 2? Impressive.

I think I'm too tired because I seem to have missed all those erotic jokes in this video that everyone keeps talking about.

OT:
I was a bit skeptic before buying a 3ds but it has quite a lot of games now that I want to play and I'm pretty happy with it (though my hand really does hurt sometimes when using it for a while).

Now that he's reviewing Nintendo games, why not Fire Emblem or (better yet) Soul Hackers?

GAunderrated:

I honestly hope he does review it. I've already bought the game on release, beaten it a few times, and messed around with some DLC, but I would like to see his take on it since he normally hates JRPG's.

The game isn't perfect though, I know he would point out the dick move of an enemy spawning and moving the same turn.

I'm powerleveling Panne at this very moment because she is married to my PC (the only female character I had no immediate intentions of strangling with her own intestines) and I want the child to be not only a literal beast :D

The game isn't perfect but my gripes are a little different... due to my positioning I was only once fucked over by respawn (in chapter 13). My problem are the female characters... At this very moment I hate every one of them (haven't played past chapter 13 though) with the above exception. I just saw each and every one of them so many times in bad anime / manga and I don't even watch many animes to begin with (was forced once by a then girlfriend to sith through some). But at least the gameplay is quite solid and the possibilities are there for customisation.

McMarbles:
*looks out window, sees pigs flying*

Hmm, Yahtzee must've been given something from Nintendo for a good review.

Yes. They gave him a GOOD game to review.
It happens more than people say. Get a net set up for next time, and you can have pork wings.;)

I remember playing the first Luigi's Mansion when I was 7 and being too afraid to finish it. I finally played through it 2 years ago and loved it. This is now on my buy list.

Also, Yahtzee isn't the only one to make homoerotic jokes.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/04/03

Enlong:

ex275w:

Enlong:

They're already making LTTP 2.

OT: Anyone else notice that the offshoot Mario games are the best ones? Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario(barring Sticker Star). All superior to the main series.

Also, was that a compliment towards Nintendo consoles in order to make a dig at the others for their social network components? Yahtzee, you sly devil.

I approve of the sucking and double-teaming jokes. I approve so hard.

TheKasp:

TizzytheTormentor:

Oh yeah, forgot about that, I have an American 3DS so I downloaded it via eShop.

Hope it comes up, but I presume next week will be (as ex275w pointed out) will be Dead Island, a game people will all too happily see him rip a new one.

Smogger:
Now that he's reviewing Nintendo games, why not Fire Emblem or (better yet) Soul Hackers?

Call it a hunch, but I imagine he would hate Awakening.
A lot.

Awakening has the meat of a good game, but where it fails, it fails hard.

Yahtzee praised something from Nintendo?

SEAL THE BULKHEADS!

This makes me cheery I used to play as Luigi in the Super Mario World SNES game.

Wait a minute... ONLINE MULTIPLAYER IN A NINTENDO GAME? One that isn't necessarily competitive? (see: Mario Kart and Smash Bros)

*SIGH* If only the 3DS wasn't so allegedly difficult to hold and demeaning to play on in a public setting as a 20-something-year-old, I would buy it for this game and Super Mario 3D Land (or Super Mario Bros. 3 in 3D, more like). Heck, I'd even sort-of want to get its Lego City, DKC Returns, Sonic Racing, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Fire Emblem games!

Gosh. How homoerotic. Luigi isn't exactly an orthodox choice of a man crush in Video Games but I can see the appeal. Dat mustache.

Luigi doesn't care about name recognition. Everyone loves him and that's all that matters.

The Last Melon:
Well, that was...

*crosses legs*

...homoerotic.

Well that was disappointing. I was expecting a pun.

I guess you could say I was dealt a...

*puts on sunglasses, and crosses legs*

stiff hand.

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

(and yes, it does somewhat work, maybe not the best pun, but it was the best I could come up with in the short time I had).

StormShaun:
Eh, I would like to play Luigi's mansion DM thought I am currently ...
Well lets say I was already 'sucked' into a really good game.

A game that is called Fire Emblem: Awakening.
And it is DAAAAMN good.
Hopefully Yahtzee can review it, but meh ... I'm enjoying it too much.

I just might get the new Luigi's Mansion if my wallet allows me to.

And while I agree with Yahtzee needing to review it, because if he got past the anime characters I feel like he'd really enjoy the gameplay, I can say that I finally beat it, and so I am free for a few more games now.

Just to say, no matter what, do not let a character die. You will regret it. Not in gameplay, but you feel like shit later on, because you couldn't save that one little mage, and Nowi is now stuck being all alone because I failed to keep her husband alive and and and...

I promised myself I wouldn't do this...

wintercoat:

Enlong:

ex275w:

They're already making LTTP 2.

Wait what? Seriously?

Can I have a link to some info on that? If true, it entirely slipped my radar.

And strikes me as a bit odd. They haven't gone with numbering since the second NES game, and even then it had a different title in addition to the number.

...and ALTTP already has a direct sequel in Link's Awakening.

So yeah, I'd love to see a link to that, because you have just succeeded in baffling me.

I'm glad he liked it. I find the gameplay really refreshing (there's not much on the market like it) and as he said Luigi is a really charming character in this.

The multiplayer is fun too.

Happy at Yahtzee's reaction :p

I don't find the 3DS difficult to hold but then I have tiny hands so maybe its a big hand thing.

Enlong:

So yeah, I'd love to see a link to that, because you have just succeeded in baffling me.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123361-Nintendo-Announces-A-Link-to-the-Past-2

wintercoat:

OT: Anyone else notice that the offshoot Mario games are the best ones? Luigi's Mansion, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario(barring Sticker Star). All superior to the main series.

Also, was that a compliment towards Nintendo consoles in order to make a dig at the others for their social network components? Yahtzee, you sly devil.

I think we can all agree that the 3D Marios are always amazing to really good. Sadly they're always pushed in with the crap known as the NSMB series. But yeah Mario offshoots and the 3D Marios are always the best ones. I can agree that Mario 2D Platformers have been routinely shit to mediocre, though.

OT: I see Yahtzee hasn't got the uber-comfy 3DS XL. Seriously, the XL is the best feeling handheld I've ever held, mainly because I have massive man hands.

Proverbial Jon:

I bet you've never had to wring ectoplasm out of your facial hair

Well now you're just making personal assumptions about my character, Yahtzee.

OT: I own a sharp and pointy 3DS (for my sins) and to be honest I didn't give this game much of a look, having never played the original. However, Yahtzee's glowing praise is not a regular occurrence so I might just give this game a little look-see.

Enlong:
Snip

That's just an Xbox 360 controller with the right analog stick and the face buttons swapped round. It's hardly evidence for Nintendo's innovation.

And the 360 controller is just a dualshock 2... and the dualshock is just an SNES controller with thumbsticks and and two extra shoulder buttons.

With that said though, I'm not that fond of the WiiU pro controller. The placement of the right analog stick was a really bad idea.

I have this theory that Yahtzee actually is homosexual, and he's only pretending to be pretending to be gay tongue-in-cheek style to throw us off the scent.

I'm on to you, Yahtzee!
o.o

Y'know, I actually enjoyed Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube, so this might be fun. Too bad I don't have a 3DS and would never buy a piece of hardware for just one thing. If anything, this review made me want to break the Gamecube out of storage.

You CAN run, you have to hold down a button to run, which I found annoying. Also, the time attack and lack of purpose for the money after the upgrades, I TOTALLY agree with.

Moonlight Butterfly:

I don't find the 3DS difficult to hold but then I have tiny hands so maybe its a big hand thing.

ToastiestZombie:

OT: I see Yahtzee hasn't got the uber-comfy 3DS XL. Seriously, the XL is the best feeling handheld I've ever held, mainly because I have massive man hands.

Judging from our three experiences it does seems it's a hand size issue :p 3DS man-sized...like kleenex lol.

Just a message to those who like Mario more than Luigi.

Luigi was always my favorite, and I'm the older brother and wasn't forced to play as player 2. Kinda surprised by the review and laughed a few times. And for some reason Luigi and the homoerotic jokes work really well. But that's natural. Dat mustache.

Enlong:

It actually looks quite good. Here's a 14 minute gameplay video.

It should be playable at E3 and release by the end of the year iirc.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here