Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Quoth the Gamer

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Quoth the Gamer

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Love these! Keep doing them!

Must be tough to write poetry every week along with the shows they already do.

Brilliant like last time, definitely a show I am going to follow religiously.

Definitely better with the visuals this time. Not perfect, but better. I also liked the background music Jim had.

Oh, and the poems were good too.

Ah, these are just wonderful =D

Like Tizzy, I can also see myself following this pretty damn religiously.

I now have something else to look forward to every Wednesday thank you again escapist and more on topic its sad that yahtzee's always john is exactly what will happen to the next xbox if the rumours are true regardless of what microsoft do.

Yahtzee owned this one, Jim was a little lacking in the rhyming department!

This is weird but kinda works.

Very well done, nice Nemesis reference at the end there.

I can finally see the attraction of poetry, after years of having to put up with work 400 years out of date. Keep it up lads!

The Tripple A collapse can't come soon enough. Providing these two with material is easily it's highest calling.

Just as good as last week, lads. Please don't stop, I'm nearly falling out of my chair with how funny these are! :D

Good show, gentlemen.

I feel Yahtzee's offering more than Jim's this week. Our triple-A horror franchises may be floundering, but there are signs of hope in smaller "indie" titles like Amnesia, Lone Survivor and the Slender series. By contrast, "always on" is a monster an awful lot of people are all too willing to coddle, even to the point of denigrating those who find it a disturbing trend as though they were some kind of paranoid luddites.

I recall a warmup game in drama class way back in high school. There were two murderers who could kill other classmates (except one another) by winking at them, and the victim had to lurch over and play dead until the end of the game. There was one person playing detective in the middle who had to figure out who the killers were. Whoever s/he accused was also killed. I'm guessing the detective was more like an inquisitor, but I digress.

The point is once when I was one of the killers the detective/inquisitor guessed me early on because you can indeed read my poker face, and as I dropped to my kneed then fell flat I grunted 'Ugh... S.T.A.R.S...' and the whole damn room couldn't stop laughing for five minutes.

That was a very, very confused drama teacher. Almost as bad as the time I dissected the lathe in shop class, but that's another story.

Fantastic show. Also, was that Akira Yamaoka that I heard in the background while Jim was doing his poem?

Its a bit interesting to consider the differences in there styles. Yahtzee is much more metaphorical so far, Jim more direct. I do hope you all keep it up and one day bring us a great poetry throw down, maybe after a convention that you can both meet up at.

Also love the scary voice at the end there Jim, maybe you should consider doing some voice acting for an indi horror game or two. I would certain by such a game, even though i'm not a big horror fan.

Compared to last week, Yahtzee improved, actually rhyming and having a regular flow and beat. Jim's was a little irregular, but once I figured out the pattern by the second verse it made sense and fit. Well done you too.

Oh and Always John was depressing.

Yahtzee needed to drop that mic after that end.

I'm really enjoying these, Yahtzee's this week was definitely my favorite so far!

This is now my new favorite video series here

No idea how this came about but I like it. Good work guys

Chessrook44:
Compared to last week, Yahtzee improved, actually rhyming and having a regular flow and beat.

Errr...He did rhyme last week.

His "flow" was actually a fairly standard meter last week, too.

I laughed so hard at Yahtzee's face after finishing the poem. Also, kudos to Jim for finding new backgrounds that make it interesting.

hmmm... the term rhymedown make me infer some sort competition. I'm gonna watch this every week so i'm gonna keep score. Jim's was better last week, but this week Yahtzee's cautionary tale of Always John took the cake.

Score:
Jim - 1
Yahtzee - 1

Torbjoern Bakke:

What he lacks in rhyme, he makes up for in staging and music!

OT: Is there going to be themes for this show, or are they just doing poems on whatever strikes them? There's a nice dovetailing between always-on and the lack of lonely, power-deprived games, but maybe that was unintentional.

Captcha: Vogon Poetry

Maybe they're not Wordsworth, but I wouldn't say it was that bad.

Yeah, Yahtzee wins this week. Better scansion throughout, and a notable improvement over the previous outing, while Jim's running in place, and forcing phrases that don't fit his meter. Remember, it's not just number of syllables that counts, if anything where the stresses land is more important.

... Holy crap, Yahtzee. That was depressing.

Nice work!

I liked Jim's ending, though.

Thunderous Cacophony:

Torbjoern Bakke:

What he lacks in rhyme, he makes up for in staging and music!

OT: Is there going to be themes for this show, or are they just doing poems on whatever strikes them? There's a nice dovetailing between always-on and the lack of lonely, power-deprived games, but maybe that was unintentional.

Captcha: Vogon Poetry

Maybe they're not Wordsworth, but I wouldn't say it was that bad.

I do hope they play off one another in those rhymedowns, but maybe they don't have enough time to make it work. I'm fine with this, but it would be even more awesome if they did what I said.

As for the rhymedown itself, I have to say that I loved jim's more, but more because of the rhyme's appeal. The BGM reminded me of a silent hill theme, the references in his rhyme to AAA horror games were fun to spot. That's that rhyme's appeal.

I also think I get how the structure works. Yahtzee goes for a specific topic on what's 'plaguing' the industry, while Jim does specific games or genres. But it might all be a huge coincidence and I might be even dead wrong.

Which is fine too.

I thought both poems were great, but i couldn't help but feel like they're missing something. I think Yahtzee needs to flex his vocabulary more, as does Jim. I know you guys both have great vocabularies, so why not use them. On another note, i'm glad Yahtzee didn't just flat out explain the metaphor at the end like his last poem, Explaining the joke (or metaphor) is the cardinal sin of good writing.

Wow...Yahtzee's was....brilliant.

This is an improvement over last week, but I still think a much better idea would be to have Yahtzee and Jim review a game simultaneously, bouncing ideas and differing opinions off of each other. All you need to do is set up a live feed and the issue of them being on the other side of the globe from each other disappears.

This week was better than last week. Of course, I'm mostly focused on Yahtzee's piece in both cases. Sorry Jim. Maybe next week you should go first? It seems that Yahtzee is an inconsistent poet. Sometimes it's decent like this week or that FTL one on his Youtube. Other times he's not as good, like last week or his review of Wolfenstein. He tends to force the meter or rhythm or whatever the technical term for it is, which hurts the flow. maybe it'd work better with someone playing bongos and a bass, maybe even a jazzy sax to help keep the flow going while he forced the words he needs into the structure.

I should probably pay more attention Jim's work, but I really don't have anything to complain about with his, although the book thing is a bit silly and he should ditch it.

I feel bad for always on John now :(
[not DRM that the poetry was a parody of but the human character described]

Yahtzee's poem was better, but Jim has an awesome notebook. I hope they do a poem on the same topic at some point.

Jim, I thought I read that article yesterday on destructoid. Either way, pretty good, pretty good

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here