Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Quoth the Gamer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

This kind of stuff is why I come to The Escapist: great content on a great website. Keep it up, youse guise!

You know I hate the idea of always on in games and it would suck to have them on consoles, but Sony said they won't have it and all signs point to Microsoft not having it. Sure that one guy on Twitter defended the concept, but he was fired.

So right now it seems like going on about how terrible it is feels likes beating a dead horse, except there was no horse, just an old rumor.

I.Love.This.Show.

Please keep it up.

Father Time:
You know I hate the idea of always on in games and it would suck to have them on consoles, but Sony said they won't have it and all signs point to Microsoft not having it. Sure that one guy on Twitter defended the concept, but he was fired.

So right now it seems like going on about how terrible it is feels likes beating a dead horse, except there was no horse, just an old rumor.

Yeah, the thing is, if we didn't make such a big stink about it we would likely have to deal with it. This rumour didn't just fly from the ether, someone was testing the waters. Now if the hesitant toe placed in the pool is greeted by tepid apathy then perhaps Microsoft would take the plunge and always on might be something we would have to "deal with". However, since that trepidatious toe has been bitten off by pirhanas, Microsoft is made to think twice.

Gamers need to freak more often then perhaps the publishers wouldn't be under delivering and overcharging so much. If the consumer base is not picky enough we're going to get shafted.

Mahoshonen:
This is an improvement over last week, but I still think a much better idea would be to have Yahtzee and Jim review a game simultaneously, bouncing ideas and differing opinions off of each other. All you need to do is set up a live feed and the issue of them being on the other side of the globe from each other disappears.

Problem is that idea could clash with their current formats already. The current idea doesn't clash with anything and is quite entertaining.

Anyone know what journal Jim used? It looked Game-y

Chessrook44:
Compared to last week, Yahtzee improved, actually rhyming and having a regular flow and beat.

He rhymed last week too.

I went into a dealership to buy myself a car
and a wholesome looking salesman came to greet me at the door
I said "I'd like a car that wouldn't have to travel far
just a basic sort of vehicle twenty thousand maybe more."

This is a fairly standard scheme called "alternate rhyme" (for reasons which may now be obvious!)

always love Yahtzee's little tales lol

Wonderfulness has once again been delivered.
Hope this show continues indefinitely.

That was awesome.

I'll admit I was kind of on the fence about the first episode; I kind of lost the beat on Mr. Croshaw's poem and therefore the rhymes, and (and I admit this is shallow, but we all have our buttons) Mr. Sterling's lost me at the very first verse because it just gets on my nerves when people use "glee" in rhymes.* I say that with a certain sense of shame, as if I'm betraying two men whose body of work I enjoy and respect and who just incidentally have no idea in the world who I am, but never mind, this is starting to get self-important even for me.

So I wasn't fond of the first episode, but this one is pretty much golden. The rhymes are clever, and I think Mr. Sterling in particular improved immensely in both the quality of writing and delivery. I expect this will be a great series.

--

*Also "true."

Sterling's poem hit me at such a personal level. I am pre-ordering The Last of Us all because of the first half of the gameplay trailer. Granted, I don't know how much of that slow-paced walking and item examining is actual gameplay and how much is a lie (like Gearbox pulled with Colonial Marines). Either way, the survival horror genre is my favorite, and I'll be giving my support any way I can in the modern age, and if pre-ordering is the only way I can, than so be it. I prefer Sterling's poem this week also, although it shouldn't count because he cheated by Akira Yamaoka's overpowering music.

On that note, Yahtzee's message was also VERY meaningful as well. I am almost hoping that the new X-box is "always john". I really want the karma of no one buying the new x-box due to the always online DRM.

pretzil:
Poetry is good and all, but is it too much to ask that they make the jump to rap battles?

I'd be at least a little surprised if they weren't saving that for some special occasion.

I think a poem about how publishers and other non artists should just leave all the creative work to the actual artists and that should solve most of the problems. And yes, I'm calling the console itself art as well.

Great rhymes like usual guys and I prefer it when Yahtzee didn't give away the metaphor.

I lost it at "STAR!"

I don't care how bad it is, you guys should try to do a Swing/Big Band duet, kind of in the style of the Rat Pack.

Simply wonderful, in the lack of a better word to describe this, Jim's are pretty funny, and Yahtzee is well... Yahzee, nothing describes him better.

The story of "aways John" is actually quite ironic considering his deus Ex human revolution review, in which Yahtzee stated he was in the process of sellotaping his phone to his face.

I am willing to give it a couple of more shows, but... let's be honest... this isn't really working... is it?

The idea is not very solid to begin with and the end result is a bit... uninteresting. It's certainly not entertaining. It's "meh" at best.

You tried, Escapist. No harm in canceling something that simply doesn't work. Granted, the Jimquisition took a few episodes to get into flow and become what it is today, but this?... I don't see this ever becoming even serviceable...

I think Jim's are somewhat lacking at the moment, Yahtzee is owning the show.

Agow95:
The story of "aways John" is actually quite ironic considering his deus Ex human revolution review, in which Yahtzee stated he was in the process of sellotaping his phone to his face.

I have a feeling that was a deliberate reference.

Always John is freakin' awesome!

I'm a fan of the series now~ loving the depth of these poems that are so well done. I do hope it doesn't get to tiring after awhile but you two have managed to become very well known and likable so we'll support yah in anyway we can! :)

Also, though I can relate to Jim's more since I too wish for the horror genre in games to really come back.. Yahtzee's impacted me quite a bit. Depressing, but a reality check. Hopefully the developers understand 'always online' will do way more harm then good, let alone the negatives to come.

These video's are quite enjoyable!

If I'm allowed to give some constructive criticism though: I would really like to see a bit more interaction between Jim and Yahtzee. Right now, it's basically just 2 seperate video's played one after another, both in similar style but on different subject matters. Each stands on its own, Yahtzee's poem doesn't influence Jim in any way and vice versa. I know Yahtzee and Jim live on different continents, but I would love to see them doing a poem _together_, alternating between the two every few lines. This could, for example, also take shape as an argument between two characters; or a naive character asking questions to another, whose answers are utterly absurd (a bit like the car salesman poem Yahtzee did last week); or any other format you can imagine, I'm sure you people are a lot more creative in these matters than I am.

Anyway, even if the format stays exactly the same, the video's are still lots of fun and I'll probably keep watching them. Keep up the good work! :)

I don't dislike these... I keep watching them... I must like these but I don't know why. I guess keep it up.

And yes Captcha: smashed potato.

It's a bit jarring seeing Yahtzee without a hat, that's all.

Thought it went well and should get better each week. Any chance of an appearance at the Melbourne Writer's Festival Yahtzee? I am sure there won't be another near-riot again.

I did manage to find the footage of the poet putting wax on her face with a knife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg9v8gowFRc&t=00m22s

I was the photographer for a local touring poetry competition for a few years, was a lot of variety.

I have met famous Australian poet Les Murray a few times and taken photos of him, the last time was in a pub called "The Drunken Poet" appropriately enough http://photos.timchuma.com/gallery3/index.php/Les-Murray-Van-Walker-06-12-12

At some point halfway through the poem Jim started emphasising random syllables excessively, like "clearLY" and "inteREST," which I found quite distracting. That's not where the stresses go in those words. It sounded strange and jarring. Also it would be nice if there were a more consistent foot and meter. At the moment you're both sort of just ending the line wherever you can find a convenient rhyme and of course poetry is more than that. Otherwise I quite enjoyed both poems this week.

What was that music in the background of Jim's section?

This is utterly magnificent. Why didn't I start watching this sooner?

TizzytheTormentor:
Brilliant like last time, definitely a show I am going to follow religiously.

Same here. I already like poetry, but this show takes the cake.

Yahtzee, you devilish devil you,
I can't believe you delivered through,
The words are sublime,
And awesomely rhyme
Keep it up!
And drink tea from a cup.

...d'oh now you got me doing it.

In MY opinion these rhymes are wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy BETTER than the last episode! Keep the great content!!

AABB i like more. ABAB's good. Yahtzee wins this one for me.

I like how Yahtzee's poems are stories with thinly veiled metaphors, it makes them more interesting in my opinion.

This is easily my favorite part of this website now. There is something so joyous about how awkwardly Yahtzee comes on camera and gives you the creepy stare.

Glorious. More please.
Jim used a more complex scheme but yahtzee had better rhythm.
Both were good

Ahh.....so hard to favorite....Yatzhees was overall better but Jims ending was just pure brilliance..............they were both the best!

Also, the book is awesome.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or