Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Worst Nicktoons Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Urh:
My memory of Ren & Stimpy Time Warp was that it was great (I haven't played the others, so I can't say anything about them). I will concede that the controls were a bit wonky, though. Oh, and the fact that the game ends prematurely if you don't obsessively collect tokens in the first few levels was a little annoying. Lisa also seems to have forgotten that in the cartoon the happy helmet turned Ren into an emotionally crippled zombie - it kinda makes sense that the happy helmet wouldn't act as a power-up in the game.

"I don't think you're happy enough... I'll TEACH you to be happy. I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs."

Happy happy, joy joy.

This episode was a trip down memory lane. I used to love those shows as a kid.

This touched a very deep part of my memories. I'm not old enough to distincly remember watching any of those cartoons. But it was deffinately nice to be reminded of them and the fragments of the episodes I do remember.

Adventures of Pete & Pete, now THAT was a show.

I remember enjoying the Tiny Toons Gameboy game awhile back, but yeah, not Nicktoons.

I should watch Hey Arnold sooner or later, I've watched everything else.

Krumm's ability in Aaahh!!! Real Monsters is utterly fucking useless even if you DO use it. The eye gets thrown SO far it ends up stuck in some unplayable part of the level you can't even go to, allowing you to see the background texture uninterrupted by foreground elements, and it can only move around in one screens worth of space so you can't even get to a more useful part of the level! Also, my cart if literally unbeatable because it locks up around the 4th level or so.

Stimpy's Invention actually is pretty good, although it suffers from Battletoad's syndrome, in that playing 2 player co-op is actually more difficult than going it alone.

Those games and some of the cartoons were before my time or weren't available in my country fortunately for me it seems.

Video games based on cartoons and movies seem to have a long history of being terrible from the get go. There are very few exceptions that I can't seem to recall now that were actually good.

I really enjoy this top 5 series, can you do one on Video Game Cancellations? Between all the games that could have been awesome but never saw the light of day, and all the God awful games that were cancelled before before release, i think you have quite a bit of material to choose from. I'm still sore about Starcraft Ghost never being finished, it would be nice to see some other games that we all could have enjoyed.

Oh NickToons..

>_>

I am one old foogey

I don't know if I can say I ever "enjoyed" Ren & Stimpy in any traditional sense. I guess I learned to appreciate it? Sometimes it would honestly bother me. Like, disturb me. Yet I kept coming back! The feelings it provoked were intriguing...

I believe I owe my adulthood love of weird psych horror and David Lynch films to that show.

DVS BSTrD:

I actually liked the Disney version of Doug better because they upped the animation quality.

No, they really didn't. If you're looking for boring, generic poses, then I guess it was an "improvement." The Nickelodeon Doug animation was sometimes choppy, but at least they featured a lot of clever poses...at least in season 1.

Kind of reminds me of how people think The Simpsons animation "improved."

Not to mention, the Disney Doug featured the switch to that horrible, garish digital "painting," replacing the Nickelodeon Doug's unique style hand-painted watercolor cels.

leviadragon99:
but Doug was dull, dull, DULL. NC has already torn it a new once so I shan't bother going into any great depth but... yeahno.

That fact that you watch "NC" videos alludes to exactly why you would think something like that about it. You're the type of person who apparently finds a guy screaming things in your ear "funny." Notalgia Critic is pretty much the most unfunny man (errr, sorry..."character"...because it's a "character" when you scream and yell things that are just your actual opinions) alive.

So yeah, if your idea of "humor" is a guy shouting, "YOU. ARE ON. CRACK!," then Doug might not appeal to you. Doug features dry humor instead. (Ex: Tippi Dink remarking after her husband has carved a plant to look like her, "Some women get placed on a pedestal. I get put in a planter").

I just find the notion of calling a character-driven cartoon where the main character pours his heart and soul out to you through his journal "dull" or "bland" to be completely backwards. Doug is one of the most detailed and layered protagonists ever created. I could write a 10 page report on his personality/psychological makeup. Try doing that with most other cartoon characters. What would you say about, say, Stimpy?

"Stimpy is a retarded cat. He screams and cries a lot. The end."

(Note that this is all in reference to the Nickelodeon Doug, not the Disney version. Disney's was a completely different show...standard cartoon stock, basically. Unrecognizable, and not for the reasons most of the internet forum nostalgics cite).

My take on the Nicktoons:

Ren and Stimpy - Mildly amusing when Kricfalusi was in charge. It certainly was unique with both the tone of the show and the psychotic visuals. Wasn't particularly funny anymore after he left, and we were only left with the gross out gags.

Rugrats - Classic 65 episodes, brilliant. Witty. Funny. Believable characters (aside from the obvious with the babies talking). Heartwarming. Excellent satire of upper-middle class society. After the revival, plummeted into one of the worst things I've ever seen. Cringe-worthy dumbing down of the babies' dialogue and the voice acting for said babies became unbearably annoying. Losing the old writing staff was the death of the show.

Doug - Brilliant on Nickelodeon, start to finish. Intelligent. Witty. Funny. Full of subtleties. Believable. Great mix of realistic characters with eccentric ones, playing off each other. Heartwarming. Messages were tastefully done, with subtlety and clever writing/phrasing/perspective as opposed to beating morals over your head. Life-affirming without being unrealistic.

Rocko's Modern Life - Brilliant, brilliant satire. That often seems to get lost in all the craze over its dirty humor. RML seemed to leave no stone unturned when it demolished different aspects of American culture. It had moments of heart, too.

Ahhh! Real Monsters - First season was clever and humorous. After that, it was a waste of time. The novelty wore off when the characters/parameters were no longer being established, and the attempts at humor didn't do it for me.

Hey Arnold! - Really good first season, but to me it seemed to suffer a little from the long run. Wasn't as consistently good as it should have been. Overdid it with some of the quirky supporting characters, some of whom I found downright irritating and try-hard (Lila). Helga's depth overshadows Arnold, who wasn't particularly layered. So I would say it was hit-or-miss after season 1.

Angry Beavers - I think this brand of comedy is not really my thing. I get some chuckles out of it, and can respect what they were doing, but not truly my cup of tea.

Kablam - Does this count as a Nicktoon? Some of the shorts were kind of clever, some were rather pointless. I don't think you're going to get a whole lot from a show like this very often. Looney Tunes it ain't.

Catdog - Unlikeable characters. Didn't aim very high intellectually, to put it mildly. I've seen worse, but that's not really saying much. I'd grade it a D+.

Rocket Power - Obnoxious, unlikeable characters. Obnoxious show. Skin-deep writing.

Spongebob - Haven't watched in recent years. I'm not entirely sure how much of which seasons I've seen. Definitely quite witty/funny in some episodes. Spongebob's theatrics sometimes border on torture, however. Should try taking some scenes of Spongebob at his worst and putting them on repeat for terrorist prisoners.

Invader Zim - I don't get it.

LowToleranceForDumb:

leviadragon99:
but Doug was dull, dull, DULL. NC has already torn it a new once so I shan't bother going into any great depth but... yeahno.

That fact that you watch "NC" videos alludes to exactly why you would think something like that about it. You're the type of person who apparently finds a guy screaming things in your ear "funny." Notalgia Critic is pretty much the most unfunny man (errr, sorry..."character"...because it's a "character" when you scream and yell things that are just your actual opinions) alive.

So yeah, if your idea of "humor" is a guy shouting, "YOU. ARE ON. CRACK!," then Doug might not appeal to you. Doug features dry humor instead. (Ex: Tippi Dink remarking after her husband has carved a plant to look like her, "Some women get placed on a pedestal. I get put in a planter").

I just find the notion of calling a character-driven cartoon where the main character pours his heart and soul out to you through his journal "dull" or "bland" to be completely backwards. Doug is one of the most detailed and layered protagonists ever created. I could write a 10 page report on his personality/psychological makeup. Try doing that with most other cartoon characters. What would you say about, say, Stimpy?

"Stimpy is a retarded cat. He screams and cries a lot. The end."

(Note that this is all in reference to the Nickelodeon Doug, not the Disney version. Disney's was a completely different show...standard cartoon stock, basically. Unrecognizable, and not for the reasons most of the internet forum nostalgics cite).

I don't think NC's work is the greatest thing in the world, but I remember watching Doug myself, and I remember being bored to tears, I'll grant that MAYBE I was just too young to appreciate it at the time, but I have no desire to go back to it so it failed at providing entertainment that'd even retroactively draw in my more mature self by virtue of nostalgia factor, epiphany or even basic curiosity, my referencing NC's statements on the matter was just a good shorthand for "he's made some of the points that I would make, so I don't have to do them here"

I don't mind dry humour, surrealism or even slice of life, and indeed have enjoyed such media in recent memory, but in the execution, I really don't think Doug had much to offer, your reference of a particular moment from the show didn't seem to be anything more than strange for the sake of strange, yes you could read something into the nature of their marriage from it, but it's unnecessarily obtuse. Irregardless of the complexities the title character might have had, they didn't lend themselves to any form of engagement, at least as far as I was concerned, ditto for the stories he found himself in.

A story about someone unloading their thoughts into their journal isn't really that novel or unique when you stop and think about it, and generally it helps if the character doing it has more of a unique perspective than banging on about his self-insert Gary Stu comic project and how he's romantically fixated on someone, oh how original.

leviadragon99:

I don't think NC's work is the greatest thing in the world, but I remember watching Doug myself, and I remember being bored to tears, I'll grant that MAYBE I was just too young to appreciate it at the time, but I have no desire to go back to it so it failed at providing entertainment that'd even retroactively draw in my more mature self by virtue of nostalgia factor, epiphany or even basic curiosity, my referencing NC's statements on the matter was just a good shorthand for "he's made some of the points that I would make, so I don't have to do them here"

I don't mind dry humour, surrealism or even slice of life, and indeed have enjoyed such media in recent memory, but in the execution, I really don't think Doug had much to offer, your reference of a particular moment from the show didn't seem to be anything more than strange for the sake of strange, yes you could read something into the nature of their marriage from it, but it's unnecessarily obtuse. Irregardless of the complexities the title character might have had, they didn't lend themselves to any form of engagement, at least as far as I was concerned, ditto for the stories he found himself in.

A story about someone unloading their thoughts into their journal isn't really that novel or unique when you stop and think about it, and generally it helps if the character doing it has more of a unique perspective than banging on about his self-insert Gary Stu comic project and how he's romantically fixated on someone, oh how original.

He didn't really make any points, though. First of all, he obviously watched maybe one episode, at most (likely "Doug Bags a Neematoad") before that whole Nicktoons review thing. Then he made an obvious factual error, describing Doug as being "about a kid who went to high school," when he was in 6th grade...elementary school. That's the paradox with most people when it comes to reviewing a series they don't like - if they don't like it, that also means they probably didn't watch much of it...because they didn't like the little they saw of it.

The first "point" he attempted to raise was in the statement, "it's about a kid who goes to high (elementary) school...and that's it." What is that supposed to mean, exactly? That it's lacking a gimmick? Would it have been better if Doug had magical powers and could morph into a walrus and shoot lasers from his whiskers and read people's minds, and he had a second residence on Mercury?

We could play the "that's it" game with anything. "The Sopranos is about a mob boss...and that's it." "Breaking Bad is about a former high school teacher who has cancer and cooks meth. And that's it." "Seinfeld is about a guy who lives in New York city, and his friends. And that's it."

It's not a valid argument. Doug is about Doug's life. He's a relatable kid for many. Maybe you're not one who could, I don't know. I'm sure it helps to have grown up in the suburbs in America. Your spelling of "humor" as "humour" leads me to think you're not from the US. There's a common trend I've noticed with people from other countries, especially British people, not getting or appreciating American television/movies, especially when it's comedy and/or satire.

Doug's a flawed character, and his flaws are what allow for so many to identify with him. He's clumsy, he's an average student, he's sometimes lazy, he's anxious...and he's not cool, but he wishes he was and fantasizes that he is. He's well-intentioned and usually respectful of others, but he's not an angel...he can be insensitive, jealous, bitter, and as the series progresses, you see he has a slight ego in certain ways. He values his individuality and resents anyone being better than him at something. That's where he differs from Arnold in Hey Arnold! Arnold is always cool, calm, rational, his pulse never speeds up, he's always the moral compass of the show. Doug sometimes lies or acts like an ass...but what redeems him is that he always apologizes when he realizes he's wrong.

I'm not sure what your response to the quote I provided is supposed to mean. Mr. Dink's wife is always cutting him down with snark, helping explain why they're called "Dink" in the first place (the acronym for "dual income, no kids"). Its purpose is humor - many find dysfunctional marriages amusing. Considering Mr. Dink's obvious eccentricity and jolly nature, their personalities clash in a humorous way.

Admittedly, I don't have a particularly extensive knowledge of 80s TV or prior, but the general tale is that animation was basically dead in the 70s and 80s, with "30 minute toy commercials." Prior to that, cartoons were generally action-driven. I don't know of a series, cartoon or live action, that did the journal thing before Doug (which premiered in mid-1991). No idea's original, but some are more hackneyed than others. I'll tell you what certainly is not original...cartoon animals screaming things at each other or 22 minutes of attempted random jokes from two-dimensional characters in half-assed stories the writers don't give a damn about.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here