No Right Answer: Best Call to Action Ever

Pages PREV 1 2

Pebkio:

Zachary Amaranth:
I miss the days where the "best" was nowhere near it but they argued anyway. These guys are respective champions, but it is a bit dull, innit?

I wouldn't call them "champions"... they don't even seem to actually know what "call to action" means. They really only talk about the motivators behind ACCEPTING the call to action, as well as who could've accepted the quest. They also talked about later stuff that was way way after even the Meeting of the Goddess. I mean, they were even talking about the characters progression after he was already on the quest, that has NOTHING to do with the "call to action" or even the motivations thing.

There is a whole spectrum of details to focus on when talking about the Call to Action.

Spectacle: Dead Like Me's call to action was a toilet seat from the space station falling on a poor girl's head from space. That wasn't even a hero's quest... but it was certainly a call to action.

Unexpectedness: Rincewind from Discworld was just some incompetent wizard-in-training who's life was changed forever because he read the wrong book. This was explained In medias res, but that's still a call to action that could've been used as a good example.

Thematically Important: In firefly, and I'll admit that a bunch conflict happened before this, but the true call to action happened when River was "activated" and attacked the bar full of people. That's when the quest really got started. This was also the big hook of the plot, meaning that the Call to Action was important to the continued theme. You could use the ring in Lord of the Rings as another good example.

But these two were off busily talking about the stupid plot twists or some philosophical tangent about why these heros were the only ones who could've been the heros. Where was I? Oh right...

...so no, these two aren't champions. To be fair, they still argued... only just about who was the better hero about 2/3rds in... but my point was that the "calls to action" that they chose didn't lend themselves very well to being discussed or argued.

I think the issue here is with semantics. To be fair, we got derailed from that main topic of "the call to action" partly because we just spun into a "Harry vs Neo" debate, but if the term is the only thing that's really sticking in your craw, please by all means just assume the title of the episodes was "Harry Potter vs Neo". Half the time that's what we'd like to do but the rules of naming demand we attempt to find something more all-encompassing. In hindsight, we should have gone with "Best Chosen One", though that would have required a divergence into Kung-Pow.

Farther than stars:

Careful, boy. That kind of language will get your hand chopped off. ;p

At least I didn't end with "will hear about this!"

Pebkio:

I wouldn't call them "champions"... they don't even seem to actually know what "call to action" means.

I wouldn't call the guys running the show champions, but I was referring to the characters chosen. And "champions" might be a stretch, but they really are the top of the league in terms of awareness.

Pebkio:

Did Marty Mcfly have to be special to go on a quest through time? His call to action was a late night phone call to go film some guys car... and then that guy is shot and killed and Marty is sent back in time. We didn't HAVE to be told why Doc Brown called Marty to have the "Call to Action" part make sense.

And nobody's arguing about the greatness, either.

Darth_Payn:

I read on Cracked.com that J.J.Abrams' STAR TREK accidentally borrows quite a few things from STAR WARS.

Well, Kirk did make out with his sister....

I kid.

I can't think of specific instances, but I totally wouldn't be shocked.

Well, I can think of a couple instances from the Into Darkness trailers...

Chris Pranger:
I think the issue here is with semantics. To be fair, we got derailed from that main topic of "the call to action" partly because we just spun into a "Harry vs Neo" debate, but if the term is the only thing that's really sticking in your craw, please by all means just assume the title of the episodes was "Harry Potter vs Neo". Half the time that's what we'd like to do but the rules of naming demand we attempt to find something more all-encompassing. In hindsight, we should have gone with "Best Chosen One", though that would have required a divergence into Kung-Pow.

To be fair to you, you're absolutely right, I am focused on the Call to Action bit of everything. But to be fair to me, if you use the terminology, literary blowhards like this guy are going to harp on semantics and improper use.

HOWEVER! If you did just want to pit Neo vs Harry Potter, I can dig that. Well, Harry potter, wins, for one. I wish you could just compare any two characters that you wanted. That way you wouldn't feel restrained by the topic at hand and the anal-retentive on this site can know what they're in for. But I can totally give a logical category in which to compare them:

Best Hero in the War of Good Vs Evil

I can't think of many better than those two. Certainly more was going on, but not many have an all out confrontation with basically themselves but evil. I mean, you could even get into how Neo changed Agent Smith into his "evil" adversary while Voldemort change Harry into his "good" adversary creating an equal but opposite thing... but the title might be long and weird.

...wait... crap! Ashley from Army of Darkness! Oh well, Bruce Campbell can't win them all, he was pretty horrible at being a hero anyway.

Speaking of Luke Skywalker, what happened to the Space Janitors? Shouldn't the show have continued by now?

Proverbial Jon:
It's an odd situation with 3; movie critics couldn't praise it enough while the people who had actually read the books thought it was god-awful.

I think it's because of all the Harry Potter movies, the third is the only one that has the most semblance of being an actual movie. Because it had a genuinely competent director at the helm, who understood pacing, composition, lighting, and cinematography.

Ralen-Sharr:
is it just me or does this series almost always seem slanted in Chris's favor?

Harry Potter - conceivable that someone else could have pulled off what he did

Neo - NOBODY could have pulled it off BUT Neo because he was different. He was able to stomp agents into the ground that would rip anyone else limb from limb.

It's because Chris usually goes first... In this one for example:

Chris: 'You're a Wizard Harry' Point
Kyle: B A badASS point
Chris: No Limit to Magic Point
Kyle: Something in your life isn't real Point
Chris: Voldemort Choose Harry

Drinking Round Chris: Motivation gets worse and worse for Harry, Neo doesn't lose people
Drinking Round Kyle: Neo can't go back, Harry has gone to a boarding school

So Chris got four opportunities for points, while Kyle only got three.

I think Chris needs to speak up a bit, that or turn up his mic if it's on his shirt or something.

Seriously, 2 pages and no mention of Frodo? I am disappoint.

Great vid, but I have 1 correction. If I found out I had fancy magic powers, my immediate reaction would be to figure out a way to use it to get laid.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here