The Great Debate

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

The Great Debate

We Will Not Be Silenced!

Read Full Article

Yeah...that happens quite a bit.

That said, I'm not much of a fan of disabling comments. Let idiots be idiots, I say, and then be publicly branded as such.

Then again, the most controversial topic I've ever discussed is Silent Hill Book of memories.

Personally, I'm back'n'forth on this one

While public discourse is essential to any form of commentary or debate, YouTube comments do tend to be... yeah

I'd be lying if I said I still try to actually "discuss" anything in youtube comment form, because someone going by the name HitlerBlunt69 or something will feel like chiming in on why I'm a [insert epithet here]

Unfortunately, such is the price of freedom. You have to take the bad with the good, 'cause the other option is, sadly, censorship.

True that.
The Youtube comment section is a wretched hive of scum and villain.

You also forgot to mention the inevitable debates between PewDiePie Fans and haters as well as Bronies and haters. Under every FUCKING video that has absolutely fucking nothing to do with either.
I don't know, why I even look at it. Perhaps I need to remind myself what the world would look like if we were to led civilisation fall apart.

Captcha: lo and behold

Because some people will be retards is not a good reason to disable the comments on a video in my opinion.

Why is Ashley trying to feed liquor to a toy dinosaur?

I disable comments on my Youtube videos. I use Youtube as a place to host my videos if people want to discuss the subject of those videos there are ample other places online with a FAR better pool of people to discuss said topic with. Plus the odds are better than not that it will just be a bunch of bigoted or obscene dribble that I will have to actively moderate so I figure it's best just to nip it in the bud and stop it before it starts.

Eleuthera:

Because that's what the English do.

We feed booze to models of extinct species.

Also robots.

Oh, you're undoubtedly walking right into someone rule 34'ing that now, I can pretty much guarantee that.

But yeah, YouTube comments sections aren't exactly the most intelligent gatherings on the planet.

disabling youtube comments isn't censorship. Not by any meaningful definition of the word. Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee the right to speak in someone else's private space. Youtube isn't obligated to provide comment space, and as long as youtube provides uploaders the option to turn comments off, neither are they. It's like a newspaper or magazine or any other publication, they may print letters to the editor, but they're in no way obligated to print every or even any letter they receive.

Daystar Clarion:

Eleuthera:

Also robots.

All the English? Or just Ashleys?

Eleuthera:

Daystar Clarion:

Eleuthera:

Also robots.

All the English? Or just Ashleys?

Maybe it's just us Ashleys...

I might have to revisit this topic.

"Here's a video I made, please DON'T tell me what you thought of it."
It just seems counterproductive to post a video on the internet and then pikmin-imum interaction.

XXXXDarkvegetaXXXX has spoken! Fulfill the words of the prophet! Who is he again, and why would not letting him speak his mindlessness be of any importance?

Everyone am free to disable comments on their own stuff. Just as everyone am free to not watch it over them doing so.

Oh, and before I forget: Using the name of a well known anime character is of course ethnocentric profiling! An expression of gross imperialistic cultural insensitivity to vulnerable subculture on account of its foreign nature, by perpetuating negative stereotyping of... yadda yadda yadda.

Or it's a harmless joke, which it'd be absurd to complain about.

I'm going to laugh when Google decides to drop commenting from Youtube, and as a result people complain and make death threats to them in response, because that would be a clearly justified case of "This is why we can't have nice things".

That, or make "Friends Only" (however they do that) be the default setting.

Oh God, this is so true! Youtube is likely the largest collection of stupid people on the internet.

You can watch or not, recommend or not, and like or dislike. The idea that the uploader is obligated to actually read comments as meaningful feedback is even more ridiculous than the idea that they're somehow obligated to even allow them in the first place.

Malisteen:
disabling youtube comments isn't censorship. Not by any meaningful definition of the word. Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee the right to speak in someone else's private space. Youtube isn't obligated to provide comment space, and as long as youtube provides uploaders the option to turn comments off, neither are they. It's like a newspaper or magazine or any other publication, they may print letters to the editor, but they're in no way obligated to print every or even any letter they receive.

Dear God, I just had the horrifying image of a newspaper printing every letter they receive.

A larger publication, they would fill volumes of books per week. The smaller papers would look like the New York Times (Sunday edition).

It would be the internet in print form.

OT: I agree completely, If I want to debate with people on a video I made. I will post too YouTube, turn off comments, and link in a forum with moderators.

Well, the thing is

Malisteen:

Oh, fine, beat me to it then.

I've also seen it as expressed as "Stopping people from crapping on your lawn is not policing their toilet" or somesuch.

How dare she deprive people the opportunity to make idiots of themselves.

Not a fan of disabling comment's mainly because while there are a bunch of horrible comment's you're also silencing the few good ones amongst them [like my self].
You also give the impression that you/your particular point/the particular subject of which the video is about can't handle criticism/other ideas which implies that you're/subject is in the wrong.
Also the argument "why bother letting [x]talk/discuss about [y] [x] don't know anything/are wrong about [y]" sounds like a copout answer that can lead to a slippery slope.

People getting upset about youtubers disabling comments is comparable to people being upset that a television show won't let you post a discussion or argument scrolling beside the tv show.

If you want to talk about it, no one is stopping you, but it is not their job to create a place for you to talk about it.

If you want to talk to the author then send them a message via their account.

If you want to discuss it with other people who viewed the video... Then make your own video response and have comments on, or just make a message board post.

Yeah right on, only people who have a place on some site has an opinion worth hearing, the grey masses have no right to be heard, and its not like the voting system makes sure smart comments get to the top.

BS

'How will I know who is a faggot and why?'

I cried a little laughing at this panel.

Brilliant guys well done.

synobal:
Because some people will be retards is not a good reason to disable the comments on a video in my opinion.

And why not exactly? What is anyone missing out on by a Youtube comments section being disabled? Also, see below.

Gilhelmi:
Dear God, I just had the horrifying image of a newspaper printing every letter they receive.

And as horrifying as that image might be, those papers would still not be as racist, homophobic and fascistic as the Youtube comments section.

The nature of freedom is that some people will use it do things you don't like. The solution isn't to try to prevent people from doing things you don't like. The solution is to develop your personal tolerance so you aren't offended easily, and also your mental filtering capabilities so you quickly spot and effortlessly discount the trolls. Technology and comment crowd-moderation is also extremely helpful.

To get the insightful, interesting, informative comments you have to wade through waves of crap. If you aren't willing to do that then you can't help elevate the discussion by making sure the "best" comments get the most attention.

When I see comments turned off I see the uploader is afraid of seeing dissenting opinions. Avoiding "lol, rape" is merely the justification for intellectual laziness.

Fappy:
Oh God, this is so true! Youtube is likely the largest collection of stupid people on the internet.

I beg to disagree, dumb YouTube commenters are the second largest group on the net. The largest collection of moronic, off topic and just plain stupid comment posters online would have to go to the folks that post on MSNbc.

I don't see anything wrong with Youtube co...

Oh...

rembrandtqeinstein:
The nature of freedom is that some people will use it do things you don't like. The solution isn't to try to prevent people from doing things you don't like. The solution is to develop your personal tolerance so you aren't offended easily, and also your mental filtering capabilities so you quickly spot and effortlessly discount the trolls. Technology and comment crowd-moderation is also extremely helpful.

To get the insightful, interesting, informative comments you have to wade through waves of crap. If you aren't willing to do that then you can't help elevate the discussion by making sure the "best" comments get the most attention.

When I see comments turned off I see the uploader is afraid of seeing dissenting opinions. Avoiding "lol, rape" is merely the justification for intellectual laziness.

The nature of freedom is that it carries with it responsibility and consequences. People don't say the kind of things you see in Youtube to your face, even though their free to do so, for a very specific reason.. in real space, they're likely to get hit, or at the very least, immediately ostracized. Not only will their comment only be heard by a very few people, they'll quickly be left alone and newcomers will be warned about being around the guy (if only by the body language of the people around them) and be unable to communicate entirely.

Youtube comments possesses little means to impose consequences, so has little responsibility in its use. Shut it off.

If you disable the comments, the Terrorists Trolls win!!! :O

I'm just a viewer on YouTube (never uploaded) but the last panel is the primary reason why I don't take the time to read the comments. Maybe the first ones with the most votes, as on an average I find them to be more insightful/intelligent than the others, but otherwise it really can devolve into crap like that.

And I don't want to waste my time on crap like that.

Also, as others have pointed out, it's not censorship. I laugh at those who think it is.

After installing the YouTube Herp Derp addon for FireFox, I can honestly say that my YT experience has improved tenfold since.

But in all seriousness. Turning off comments is all good and well but turning off ratings is when someone feels their words have no ground to stand on.

No but seriously? Why disable comment just because you don't want to HEAR the idiots? You could also disable comment notification. Have the idiots rage and shout on your video and all you have to do is sit back and have youtube ignore them for you. In the end you get the same result and you don't have to wander into the sticky censorship territory. Disabling comments just because the majority will be hateful, vulgar, stupid, unintelligible, unintelligent or spam is the same excuse used by those same people to disable comments.

"Oh let me post up a video about how we should have a theocratic dictatorship and disable the comments because this youtube channel is like my living room and the people that would comment would use profanity which I do not allow in my house."

"Let's upload a conspiracy theory video and disable comments because the people that don't believe it or contradict me are spreading lies and I only want the truth out there."

Some people will argue that youtube comments are anonymous and therefore carry no weight because the shit people say would never be said to someone's face. They can easily be ignored because the majority will be shit. This attitude will eventually result in stifling actual debates that might pop up or simply silencing dissenting voices. Oh sure it's easy to crap on youtube but the same can be said for the escapist or any other forum or site where despite the rules of conduct there is still a large amount of crap.

Think back to for example the early Jimquisition days where the majority of the responses were hateful, vulgar, stupid, unintelligible, unintelligent or spam and they weren't just turned off. What if they had been turned off? What if those 1/10 posts that actually offered suggestions, explanation and analyses of the flaws were ignored all for the sake of not having to read the other 9/10 comments that read something like:

"Who is this fat stupid fuck and why is he on this site with his crappy show regurgitating whatever the community says?"

We wouldn't have our Wednesday poetry jam or our Monday show because the people that didn't talk with their posts would have talked with their views and nobody would have gained anything because nobody would know why the views went down.

Just because you don't want to hear someone tell you that you should be raped is no justification to also silence the person that would tell you why he disagrees with you in a well thought out argument. That is just the excuse for you to avoid any dissenting comments.

redknightalex:
Also, as others have pointed out, it's not censorship. I laugh at those who think it is.

You have CLEARLY never wandered onto a Creationist channel have you? :D

The comments in the Protomen videos used to be pretty awesome. People debated, predicted, and discussed the story. And one really popular MLP fanfic brought the Bronies to a certain song... the comments ended up looking like every other YouTube comments section. It made me infinitely sad.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here