Trailers: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Reveal Trailer

Wait, someone is actually bragging about making bioshock 2? I mean, really?

I don't like that developers are using XCom name without actual XCom task force in the game
At least it seems that it won't be XCom itself
This game can be set in the same universe as far as I care, but name bugs me.

A whole whopping two minutes for the trailer to get to the point, and show anything. Great job. Really.

That was also probably the fastest bike crash in the history of... well, everything.

So... I'm confused. After all this speculation about an upcoming XCom shooter it's going to be a .. TV series?

Well then, another awful, boring trailer granting us next to no information about the game, why is this practice so prevalent in today's games industry? This is just a sock for the arts team to have their way with.

On a positive note: yay more XCOM! Can't say I'm excited about it being a shooter though, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Pepsik:

In my opinion Bioshock 2 had the most well crafted gameplay of the series.

Pepsik:

The thing is Bioshock 2 wasn't bad from a technical perspective, much like none of the CoD games are bad from a technical perspective. It was just completely unnecessary as a sequel, in terms of the story and the multiplayer.

Well, at least it feels a little bit more like they're focusing on making the game stand on it's own rather than going XCOMXCOMXCOM! We've got the X-Com remake so now the 'shooter' doesn't feel so offense to my sense of nostalgia. It'll be nice to see some new gameplay images, maybe they had a rethink and decided to push more towards an origional concept rather than taking Mass Effect's interface.

Apparently after the Strategy Xcom game doing really well they decided to make the FPS into a strategy game as well, or at least a third person squad based game. http://www.gamespot.com/news/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-arrives-in-august-6407573 I am excited for it, I wanted to play it when it was first announced and still want to play it now.

Pepsik:

It had the curse of "big shoes to fill". I actually really enjoyed it and believe if the game had a different setting it would have been received far better.

Pepsik:

...you realize -some- of us liked Bioshock 2, right?

Anyway, on topic -- YAY! THE GAME ISN'T DEAD! SUCK IT XCOM FANBOYS! SOME US DON'T WANT TO PLAY A VIRTUAL BOARDGAME! Frick yeah!

*coughs*

I mean, "good show, 2K".

Parakeettheprawn:

Pepsik:

Anyway, on topic -- YAY! THE GAME ISN'T DEAD! SUCK IT XCOM FANBOYS! SOME US DON'T WANT TO PLAY A VIRTUAL BOARDGAME! Frick yeah!

*coughs*

I mean, "good show, 2K".

Really? I just accepted it as a game, I mean it was almost just a previous game with a lot worse storytelling. But I also like the XCOM Enemy Unknown, so maybe I'm just weird...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/the-bureau-xcom-declassified-arrives-in-august-6407573

OOH, if your squadmates die, they die for good! And you apparently can't just rambo the game!

Ok, I'm curious now. Let's see some gameplay.

Excited to see this game is back. I liked XCOM Enemy Unknown, but I am not very good at tactic games. I love base building, resource management, and research, but I am terrible at the turn based combat. So if the combat is real time third person shooting that's fine by me.

I liked BioShock 2 as well. It gets a undeserved rep in my opinion. Did it need to exist. No. Did it's existence cause untold damage to the BioShock name. No. It's just a fun game with a great story that may not be as good as the original, but it's a well above average game that is still the best game in the series gameplay wise.

Awesome! Loved Enemy Unknown and probably given the choice would rather have Enemy Unknown than The Bureau but I was still excited fro it back when it was just XCOM. I mean running around 1960s suburban America in a suit and tie covering up alien invasions? Yes please!

Also it would be cool to see a series like XCOM have shooters and strategy games. Like a series spanning multiple genres like that would be great, coming together at points and making a rich universe accessible to everyone. Actually, it's be really cool if Syndicate followed suit, as much as I loved the shooter if they made another shooter and an RTS or something.... An RTS that wouldn't be always-on or need tons of DLC.

Lt._nefarious:
Awesome! Loved Enemy Unknown and probably given the choice would rather have Enemy Unknown than The Bureau but I was still excited fro it back when it was just XCOM. I mean running around 1960s suburban America in a suit and tie covering up alien invasions? Yes please!

Also it would be cool to see a series like XCOM have shooters and strategy games. Like a series spanning multiple genres like that would be great, coming together at points and making a rich universe accessible to everyone. Actually, it's be really cool if Syndicate followed suit, as much as I loved the shooter if they made another shooter and an RTS or something.... An RTS that wouldn't be always-on or need tons of DLC.

I would really like to see Syndicate follow the same path XCOM is, but EA owns Syndicate...so I'm not holding my breath.

Pepsik:

Parakeettheprawn:

Pepsik:

*coughs*

I mean, "good show, 2K".

Really? I just accepted it as a game, I mean it was almost just a previous game with a lot worse storytelling. But I also like the XCOM Enemy Unknown, so maybe I'm just weird...

I'm not going to try to argue the story because, after much observation on multiple sites, there actually seems to be a pretty even divide on the game. I will admit I didn't have that much issue with it, especially after I learned 2K Marin had to deal with their original storyline getting castrated due to some mandatory reworkings ordered after a year of development. That's not to say I didn't end up one day rewriting it on my old blog in a short novella, but I always felt it had promise. I also, as insane as it may sound (especially if Susan is reading this by some random chance) but I actually loved the multiplayer. There are still plenty of people playing it, and I've even debated going back.

I don't think it's weird to like XCOM:EU... but there are people like me who hate it because of how purely broken it was on PC, plus the sometimes downright reality breaking rules. I had that thing crash or bug out on me more times in a week than any Obsidian RPG to date.

Honestly, it was no worse than any other FPS that came out, and I actually liked their ideas behind how to let morality be tied directly to mechanics without being quite as obvious and black and white about it. You could be a vengeful warrior who also saved the Little Sisters, or you could be a forgiving monster who would kill the sisters for his own gains. It's the kind of contrast Mass Effect honestly seemed to lack, IMO.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here