Lucasarts Games that Deserve Another Shot

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I'm going to join the chorus. Battlefront 3. And Star Wars 1313 should be finished and released.

How about some Gladius 2? I loved the idea of a tactical gladiator combat game, and while flawed Gladius was a great starting point for a series.

Im going with a hipster reply and say Star Wars: Starfighter. It was an arcade-y flight action game, and it was ace.

Bobic:
Republic Commando was extra deserving of a sequel for one important reason, we were about to get to shoot all the Jedi in their stupid smug faces. The plot of the game ends about halfway through Revenge of the Sith, just before the order comes down the chain to gun down all the jedi. Now that has the potential to be a pretty darn snazzy sequel. . . Of course they'd probably ruin it by making you side with the Jedi or some other cop-out.

Actually, according to lore, after Order 66 went out and the war ended, any and all remaining Republic Commandos were transferred into Imperial Commandos for the purpose of hunting down remaining rogue and unaccounted Jedi. A good sequel to that could actually be replaying an earlier mission or two with the entire squad, redoing the Kashyyk level, and then going to hunt down Jedi. Especially given Yoda's orders to your squad at the end of that mission, I don't think anyone would hesitate in hunting down any Jedi they could get their hands on.

Aside from Republic Commando though, Battlefront would be my next pick for another Star Wars title. After that it would probably be remaking a Star Wars MMORPG like Galaxies. Why? Because Old Republic completely missed the mark. I want to have fighters and transports, and be able to fly around in space with a few friends as my crew doing whatever we damn well please.

REPUBLIC COMMANDO!!!!
Shamus. I love your articles and Spoiler Warning, but I'm one of those people who'd post an angry comment if RC wasn't included.
I feel I should also add that the original left off on a very big cliff hanger that was leading up to Order 66--or whatever the "kill all the jedi" order was called.

OT:
Isn't Jedi Academy also included in the Dark Forces series? I remember that game was alright.

EDIT:
I don't want to be one of the people harping on Battlefront 3. I preferred RC, but I have spent many hours playing that series. I think with modern engines and hardware, it'd be easy to have full scale battles, like in the movies.

emeraldrafael:
you missed battle front 3, but other then that and all the starwars properties, i'll be a bit bold and say some more monkey island. I dont know if it could make the transition from point and click to wahtever they would make it, but the humour would be appreciated. so would a remake of grim fandango maybe.

I was also going to say Monkey Island but I think the lisence is safly with Telltale games now as they did Tales of Monkey Island.

Louzerman102:

Unfortunately the TORtanic is being called kotor 3.

Really? Surely not...

*reads post again*

really?

Man you have just ruined my day...

Like everyone else, I'm kind of surprised you missed the most obvious of the Star Wars titles that have been repeatedly begged for: Battlefront 3.

Great game and it is a travesty that they haven't even developed the "next generation" of the series.

You look through the back catalog of Lucasarts and the only thing you can find of value is Star Wars? Are you Disney?

What about Empire at War? Sure, it's not the best RTS, but I want to find out what Siri was going to do with the Carbonite Sith Army.

Also, for all you battlefront 3 wanters, like myself:

the antithesis:
You look through the back catalog of Lucasarts and the only thing you can find of value is Star Wars? Are you Disney?

To be fair, the reason he mentioned Star Wars games only is because it's Star Wars week here on the Escapist, and that Star Wars Day (May the 4th) is approaching. I mean, yeah, there are the LucasArts adventure games, but how long has it been since we've seen a good Star Wars game, and moreso who would make it? Telltale and Double Fine are probably more than happy and the likely candidates to continue LucasArts' adventures, but it's the Star Wars games that leave people wondering who will try their best with them.

Ooooh, X-wing. I sunk hours into that game when I still had DOS. I keep hoping that some day, someone will finally make the decision to update it, re-release it, reboot it, something! Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader is a good attempt, but it's just not X-wing. There was nothing I enjoyed more than flying in between Capital ships while they tore each other apart and I struggled to intercept TIE Bombers. Le sigh...good times.

I was slightly disappointed by Republic Commando. Not because it was bad, but because I wanted a Call of Duty type of game. The battle on Geonosis was fun because there were other clones running around, shooting, and dying, but once I linked up with my squad, it was really just the four of us. I wanted to be involved in huge battles, in the sense of Hoth or Endor, where you're not the only target. Battlefront was good for that, but the story was lacking. So...I guess bigger battles like Battlefront, but better story-driven game and missions (because 'hold this area until their reinforcements run out' gets boring) like in Republic Commando.

Wow, almost 50 comments and only one mention of Outlaws. I liked it because it was kind of the "spiritual brother" (not successor) to Dark Forces. And when DF went all lightsaber crazy (or when I lost interest) Outlaws was there to give me more of the gameplay I wanted. I always found the hokey religion magic spiritualisim to be the least interesting part of Star Wars. That's why I want back Republic Commando, X-Wing TIE-Fighter (not the console rail-shooter Rogue Squadron but the proper PC spacesim,) pre-jedi stuff Dark Forces (when it was good,) Shadows of the Empire, and Outlaws again while they're at it. Plus the pc-cd of Outlaws came with the soundtrack of the game on it. And the music was classic spagetti western, and perfect mood music for a game of Deadlands (or another western type rpg.)

They totally have to pick up where Empire at War:Forces of Corruption left off. Talk about opportunity!

I'm yet another person with fond memories of Republic Commando. Unfortunately if it were to be remade today it would end up being more of a standard FPS like Call of Duty then a squad tactical shooter because that's where publishers believe all the money is.

grey_space:

Louzerman102:

Unfortunately the TORtanic is being called kotor 3.

Really? Surely not...

*reads post again*

really?

Man you have just ruined my day...

I've heard the comparison made between The Old Republic and World of Warcraft. The MMO derails the series it was based on. An additional Knights of The Old Republic game would be competing for fans/money with The Old Republic MMO.

I am disappointed as well.

The Force Unleashed definitely deserves a chance to REALLY shine. I think that TFU is the first time I really felt like the battles of Force Users in the movies were really captured in a game, as well as the first time I felt like Force Users were really treated to be anywhere near as powerful as they should actually be, even just based on what's shown in the movies alone. All it really needs to make it great is a longer, more involving story, everything else is pretty much perfect. The developers of The Force Unleashed just never managed get EVERYTHING right, there was just a couple glaring issues that they just didn't fix. In fact, I even made a thread on the Escapist about ways to improve the series.

immortalfrieza:
The Force Unleashed definitely deserves a chance to REALLY shine. I think that TFU is the first time I really felt like the battles of Force Users in the movies were really captured in a game, as well as the first time I felt like Force Users were really treated to be anywhere near as powerful as they should actually be, even just based on what's shown in the movies alone. All it really needs to make it great is a longer, more involving story, everything else is pretty much perfect. In fact, I even made a thread on the Escapist about ways to improve the series.

TFU has unfortunately written themselves into a corner. The story happens at a specific point in the timeline with a very specific character. Destroying things with your force powers is an inherently fun activity, but any additional games are going to have a hard time explaining the situation. Fans were already calling bullshit with TFU2 cloning the main character back to life. Not to say that the situation is hopeless, because again, crushing things with your force powers is really fun.

Louzerman102:

immortalfrieza:
The Force Unleashed definitely deserves a chance to REALLY shine. I think that TFU is the first time I really felt like the battles of Force Users in the movies were really captured in a game, as well as the first time I felt like Force Users were really treated to be anywhere near as powerful as they should actually be, even just based on what's shown in the movies alone. All it really needs to make it great is a longer, more involving story, everything else is pretty much perfect. In fact, I even made a thread on the Escapist about ways to improve the series.

TFU has unfortunately written themselves into a corner. The story happens at a specific point in the timeline with a very specific character. Destroying things with your force powers is an inherently fun activity, but any additional games are going to have a hard time explaining the situation. Fans were already calling bullshit with TFU2 cloning the main character back to life. Not to say that the situation is hopeless, because again, crushing things with your force powers is really fun.

"They've written themselves into a corner" is simply a stock reason that sequels shouldn't happen, and it's one of the flimsiest excuses ever. All it ever shows is a severe lack of imagination on the fans' part. It wouldn't even be that difficult to continue, the protagonist Starkiller to The Dark Apprentice's antagonist, (his evil but otherwise perfect clone) fledgling Rebellion Vs. the all powerful Empire, the pieces are all there, just build a game around it. My thread (if anyone's curious:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.389731-If-You-Were-To-Make-It-The-Force-Unleashed-3?page=1) does a pretty good job of giving the basics.

Oh, and I'm not sure why TFU2's cloning Starkiller is such a big problem, even before the prequel trilogy the idea of the Empire cloning Force Users to use as troops in such a technologically advanced society isn't that far-fetched.

Full Throttle. Times a billion. I would pay all of the money for that.

ALL OF IT.

Why in the hell does everyone say X-wing vs Tie Fighter when

A - That was not the best game in the series by a mile (Tie Fighter)

B - It was not the LAST game in the series either (X-Wing Alliance)

Drives me nuts as Total Biscuit says that game all the time too when I used to watch him.
Howabout "X-Wing / Tie Fighter series".

I'd kill for another X-Wing game. Fucking loved those games, gimme more! And I would like a reboot of Tie Fighter since I never got to play it. >.>

If we can mention Grim Fandango (and I do want to finally play that,) then I think LOOM deserves a vote. I freaking adore LOOM. I wouldn't mind a remake with some modernized graphics and an updated musical interface. Sequels were planned and nobody wanted to do them... well, let's see if we can't change that.

Republic Commando needs a sequel and I would love to see another gladius game come out.Im guessing that will never happen much like crimson skies and mechassault considering that they are locked up tightly in microsoft game studios vaults of apathy

I would love to see Battlefront 3.

Also, for clarification, Delta Squad (Republic Commando) was not comprised of grunts. They were the elite of the elite.

TOR is not KOTOR3, it can never be KOTOR3, Bioware says a lot of things that turns out to be far from the truth as they try to promote stuff that is unpopular with the fan base. TOR is so far and removed from the KOTOR series, Revan and the Exile are clearly desperate afterthoughts when they realized fans wanted KOTOR3 not TOR. It's hardly even closure for most of the cast of KOTOR1 and 2. They just mysteriously disappear from history despite apparently rebuilding the Jedi order and at least one of them was on the Council for the time.

KOTOR3 is still very much possible, they don't have to have Revan and the Exile, everyone else from the series is still very much alive in that time period, doing something that Bioware doesn't want to explore. It can be a very easy, simple plot line, help either the Jedi rebuild or the Sith rebuild. Just everyone ignore Drew Karpshyn's crappy Revan novel that has the Exile shitting all over her own students who are rebuilding the Jedi Order. Drew clearly only skimmed wookiepedia about the events of KOTOR2 and like most folks from Bioware, he doesn't give a crap about keeping the lore straight and accurate.

So my votes on Disney getting someone to make KOTOR3 finally. I want to play a young, impressionable Jedi being taught the force and pazaak from Atton Rand.

The only thing stopping it from happening is Bioware/LucasArts copy right crap that delayed Obsidian from continuing KOTOR2. Only it's now compounded with Obsidian's copy right crap. That might actually be the reason Bioware won't touch most of the characters of KOTOR2 in TOR.

Ah, Rogue Squadron. I'm getting all nostalgic just thinking about that game. The game that got me into gaming.

Also, how many sacrifices do we have to make to see another Battlefront game? My inventory of young virgins is running low.

I know Battlefront was mentioned, but here is my rational for it being remade:
1) I loved it (a given i guess).
2) Both had terrible/hilarious AI and Multiplayer.
3) Both games were very unbalanced.
4) had so much untapped potencial.

X-wing or Tie Fighter games are complex (in a good way) and expand on the univers, Rogue Leader was probably the best game at reliving Star wars moments. Although that probably something that has been played out.

I think all the argument Shamus used for Republic Commando also could be used as an argument for Shadows of the Empire, with the exception of it not having mass popularity. It focused on a non-jedi mercenary and could lead to a less morally black and white story.

I'm curious, I remembered a lot of hype for Republic commando but I never touched it. Was it good game or a good for a star wars game?

Falseprophet:
Shamus Young thinks that hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Exactly. I think it was Penny Arcade's Tycho who lamented how there used to be stories about all the smugglers and diplomats and soldiers and pilots and criminals in the Star Wars universe, before every story had to be about the millennia-long holy war between two factions of demigod warrior monks.

Jedi were kind of cool when they had an air of mystery and detachment to them. But in the original trilogy there were still fleet battles to fight, Kessel Runs to make, bounties to be collected, music to be played, and ships to be gambled away in games of chance, and those never involved Jedi. Will we ever get a chance to play those people again?

Yes, the more details about the jedi we learned, the more absurd or just plain stupid they became. Honestly, taking kids at birth and raising them in some cult that turns them into an emotionless, sexless robot without any choice in the matter is just horrible. Uncle George wasn't really thinking there.

The rest of the universe is much more interesting

Xwing and or Tie Fighter games were so good.Half the reason i still play games today is because of them, got me hooked.

Akalabeth:
Why in the hell does everyone say X-wing vs Tie Fighter when

A - That was not the best game in the series by a mile (Tie Fighter)

B - It was not the LAST game in the series either (X-Wing Alliance)

Drives me nuts as Total Biscuit says that game all the time too when I used to watch him.
Howabout "X-Wing / Tie Fighter series".

Storyline. X-Wing you're flying for the rebellion and kicking ass and being all cool 'n' shit. TIE Fighter is awesome, flying for the Empire and it was great being novel and sort of being "the baddies" for once.

XvT was all about starting on one side of the fence and then jumping to the other side, that kind of switch is rarely available in games and even more rarely actually works. Anyone remember HAZE?

XWA was awesome though.

On the subject of an X-Wing game reboot, yes there aren't enough buttons on modern controllers to do all the things you could do on a full keyboard and yes that sucks, because power management and reassigning shield energy was a major part of XWA mechanics.

But the simplified controller isn't a problem, it's an opportunity. How do you adds all these detailed controls and commands to modern consoles? VOICE CONTROL. It works for the Kinect. It worked for Tom Clancy's End War.

"R2, full power to the engines!" "R2, jump to hyperspace." "R2, target nearest fighter!"

I agree with the writer. There are some genuine Star Wars videogame gems that deserve a modern HD treatment. Republic Commando stands out because it takes a unique, gritty, harsh perspective on the universe of Star Wars.

Definitely a Shadows of the Empire. I love how the environments were mixed in that game, and even different gameplays, switching from a rather basic version of Rogue Squadron to a third (of first) person shooter, its my favorite Star Wars game. The boss battles were pretty difficult too from what I remember. It's been awhile since I've played it, so maybe I'd be better at them, but I do remember them usually either being AT-STs or some other kind of menacing droid or robot. I'm terrified of robots or droids that are specifically built for killing, and even most that aren't. The prospect of something having a body hundreds of times more durable than mine and strength to snap my bones like they were made of chalk makes me feel powerless, and this game brought those fears to realization.

I would have loved to play a "Star Wars: Bounty Hunter 2" perhaps as Boba Fett.

Honestly, the first game was incredibly addictive, and came up with quite a few interesting concepts to tinker around with (capturing or killing your targets, jetpacks, explosives, and a ton of ways to use them)

Republic Commando is crying out for a sequel with co-op. Players could take the role of the different troopers in Delta Squad each with specific abilities/gear. It could have been something like a "Rainbow 6" game set in the SW universe.

I was surprised that XW vs TF never got a remake/sequel during the console era as multiplayer & internet access became so much more widespread. Heck, I'd have been happy with just a HD remake on xbla/psn.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here