Zero Punctuation: Injustice: Gods Among Us

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Injustice: Gods Among Us

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Injustice: Gods Among Us.

Watch Video

WONK. Made me laugh.

In all seriousness, I knew pretty much nothing about the game except it seems to gain a metric ton of praise from reddit. Then I saw this review and realized it's a fighting game made by the people who made Mortal Kombat set in the DC universe.

Well... I guess I don't need to play it then.

You could at least give Catwoman kudos for having finally saved up enough to buy clothes that actually zip up, as opposed to Arkham City where it seemed like a deep breath would push the game into Custer's Revenge territory.

Neverrealms next game should be Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat.

Would make a better Epic Rap Battles of history then an actual game.
Superman's Mic name could be Kal el Diablo.

I remember asking during the review of Injustice if it was vastly better than the demo. The demo with fugly character models, break-up-the-action-and-therefore-the-fun super-move/cutscenes, and uninteresting gameplay. The answer I was given (at the time) was that the actual game was in all aspects better than the demo. This review strongly suggests otherwise. So yeah it's Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe minus the Mortal Kombat characters. Woo.

INJUSTICE was a silly game, but that's kind of exactly what I wanted it to be.

Also, the credit jokes made me laugh in this video. :)

I quite enjoyed this one.

Also dyslexia comes in handy sometimes. I was like "What's so funny about 'built like a shit brickhouse'? That just a normal... oooh."

Ok I need to get a bigger image of that Action comic issue of Superman had become fat!

Online play and pissing on your own shoes are now in the same category? Sounds about right.

Scarim Coral:
Ok I need to get a bigger image of that Action comic issue of Superman had become fat!

Wish granted...

Sooooo Tenkaichi 3 with DC characters? I'd play it but anything more complex than the Tekken style fighting system throws me for a loop.

Character development? In Arkham city? You've lost some of my respect, Yahtzee.

"Suoerman either becomes fat or evil."
But... I liked 'Red Son' :(

Like when he did Mortal Kombat, I think Yahtzee is missing the point of Super Moves.
In MK9, he complained about the X-ray moves and how they were pointless as the character just got right back up after having their bones turned to dust, Somewhat missing out on the fact that they took off 30+% of the enemy's health.

As for Clashing, it's a Combo Breaker and it can restore the defenders health which is a big deal in a fighting game.

Still, Top notch review.

I hate moves that practially are piss breaks.

I thought Yahtzee was talking about the story mode with the meandering thing. Feels like it goes on an hour too long.

Thunderous Cacophony:
You could at least give Catwoman kudos for having finally saved up enough to buy clothes that actually zip up, as opposed to Arkham City where it seemed like a deep breath would push the game into Custer's Revenge territory.

Her super power is not falling out of that suit when dangled upside down by Two Face.

Well I lost interest in MK sine what? trilogy or something like that? since then every game is pure crap, and i think the same about MK(9) and MK vs DC, so yeah downloaded the demo, then saw drag wonder woman ( perhaps the parallel universe xplains why in this universe is a man cross dresing as wonder woman) played it a bit, and surprise it sucked. al character models are FUGLY, the phisycs of the game suck ... crap................ as a fan of dc comics and a gammer my final toughts are: why did you had to chose marvel capcom?.

Because everyone knows seals in Australia go Wonk!

Aptspire:
"Suoerman either becomes fat or evil."
But... I liked 'Red Son' :(

He didn't really become evil in Red Son. He was raised by Soviets, so it was more along the lines of "lies, oppression and the soviet way"

Akratus:
Character development? In Arkham city? You've lost some of my respect, Yahtzee.

Well, you have to admit, What they did with the characters and story was a bit better then what they did in Injustice.
Watching the trailers and coverage, I was expecting a conflict between all the characters as Supes starts going evil.
I remember watching one trailer that showed Batman and Lex side by side about to fight the other members of the Justice League and how the story mode would be set on a timeline showing the world going to hell (Like actually showing how Green Lantern went Yellow)

But no: Alt Universe un-connected to all the playable characters and all tension and suspense broke, like the ending to Breaking Dawn-Part 2.

Howard the Duck.

Howard the Duck always wins. I'm disappointed that you even had to ask.

What's with all the hate for Supes,come on he has some of the greatest stories in Comics.

ASSman, Kingdom Come, Red Son, etc.

Hehe... Wonk...

I wonder if this is gonna be some kind of meme...

*claps*
Wonk!

Captcha says: My Dear Watson.

*claps* Wonk!

I've always been a fan of the Street Fighter series personally. They have FAR less emphasis on some convoluted story and focus instead on the mechanics of the fight. The stories there for you to enjoy, but it's never thrown in your face. Older MK games used to be like this but after the transition to xbox, things have kind of gone down hill.

High level play in Street Fighter is an excellent experience, and an arcade stick ridiculously satisfying once you get the hang of it. MK and these DC fighters just doesn't do that for me. Damn shame Yahtzee doesn't enjoy fighting games though. I'd love to have a crack at him online.

I was waiting for that one line which would be a dead give-away of Yahtzee's poor grasp on fighting games. And it came when he admitted he couldn't pull off a bounce cancel.

The amount of shortcomings Yahtzee had in this game don't surprise me, since his grasp and understanding on fighting games is about the same as my dog, these sort of videos come off more as an extended 'I don't know what this is' rant than an actual critique on the game itself.

Hafrael:
What's with all the hate for Supes,come on he has some of the greatest stories in Comics.

I'm not sure what ASSman is referring to, but you'll notice that the other two are Elseworlds. ;)

Instead of making a point that superman's only interesting when he's in an alternate universe where he's pitted in a battle of ideals against different styles of heroes, I'm going to mention 'What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way' (which is a battle of ideals that also happens to be canonical). It was recently adapted into Superman vs The Elite.

I'm pining for a game where you play as one of the civilians in the DC/Marvel universe.

You're just trying to get back home from work or down the shops to buy milk, but keep having to dodge the falling skyscrapers the supertwats keep knocking over in battle.

It'd be an interesting new take on the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing. Who are you going to sympathise with, when both supersides keeps superruining your day? And how would the superheroes and villains look from down there, on the street, from the perspective of a guy who just had his car smashed by an errant billboard casually thrown from the frey?

I don't like the gameplay of MK, so it wasn't a surprise that I wasn't really impressed with what Injustice had to offer. The gameplay feels cluncky and there seems is a lot of unneeded down time with the animations and transitions. I do have to give the game credit with their tutorials and the information they provide. It is the first game that gives the framedata in the game itself, which is really useful for the high level players. But I can finally start with Persona 4 arena soon and I am really looking forward to the Tekken X Streetfighter game that will be hopefully released soon enough.

ThrobbingEgo:

Hafrael:

I'm not sure what ASSman is referring to, but you'll notice that the other two are Elseworlds. ;)

Instead of making a point that superman's only interesting when he's in an alternate universe where he's pitted in a battle of ideals against different styles of heroes, I'm going to mention 'What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way' (which is a battle of ideals that also happens to be canonical). It was recently adapted into Superman vs The Elite.

That's a sad fact of the modern Marvel/DC model, I don't think any character is interesting when not in an elseworlds. When writers are so chained to continuity there is little they can do, and not much they can change or explore. You don't get the exploration of Superman's humanity and how it clashes with his divinity like in Kingdom Come.

Yes there are some fun stories, but they don't do much more than that and that's disappointing. But, to imply that this is in someway a defect unique to Superman is either disingenuous or ignorant.

What's So Funny exists in an empty world where no other super powered people have a similar doctrine, it might as well be an elseworlds. (Also I don't believe it is canon anymore. Plus if you were looking for some other amazing stories that were canon you could do a lot better, Alan Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything is phenomenal.)

ASSman is my fun little abbreviation for All-Star Superman, my favorite comic of all time, and IMO the definitive work in the Super Hero genre.

Muspelheim:
I'm pining for a game where you play as one of the civilians in the DC/Marvel universe.

You're just trying to get back home from work or down the shops to buy milk, but keep having to dodge the falling skyscrapers the supertwats keep knocking over in battle.

It'd be an interesting new take on the whole Stockholm Syndrome thing.

Unsurprisingly, this concept was explored already, but not in game form (to my knowledge).

In Darkwing Duck Episode 39 "Planet of the Capes" Darkwing finds himself on a planet where everyone is a superhero, thus making the most important person in the world Ordinary Guy.

Actually Yahtzee any section of the tutorial can be skipped so I don't know where you got this idea that it wouldn't let you leave from. I skipped a fair few parts of it myself and still got the achievement for doing it for some reason.

Yahtzze big answer?
"Why couldn't this have been another first person shooter!?"

Thank God For jim sterlings reviews.

Diablo1099:
Like when he did Mortal Kombat, I think Yahtzee is missing the point of Super Moves.
In MK9, he complained about the X-ray moves and how they were pointless as the character just got right back up after having their bones turned to dust, Somewhat missing out on the fact that they took off 30+% of the enemy's health.

I don't think he was concerned about the health the other player lost, but that they could even keep fighting at all. The bones are so severely damaged there is no way they could possible use that limb or section of their body again in the fight. When a player gets right back up from an injury that severe and doesn't show any sign that it's affecting them it seems like immersion is slapping you in the face.

Not a single mention of Aquaman? Seriously? I'm shocked, Yahtzee!

On topic, I love Injustice. So much content... Those Battle challenges and STAR missions are brutal though.

Splitzi:

I don't think he was concerned about the health the other player lost, but that they could even keep fighting at all. The bones are so severely damaged there is no way they could possible use that limb or section of their body again in the fight. When a player gets right back up from an injury that severe and doesn't show any sign that it's affecting them it seems like immersion is slapping you in the face.

Immersion?

I'm a robot fighting a four-armed dragon lady and her lizard-man partner. Seconds earlier, I was a police officer shooting fifty bullets into the head of a flying mystic ninja while a literal god of lightning was dive-bombing a centaur through the floor. Later, I proceeded to rip a man with a laser eye in half with nothing but my bare hands shortly before being teleported to a fight in hell itself with a demonic white-skinned sorcerer that can summon a throne made of human bones wherever he goes.

... And the X-ray moves are the things that breaks the immersion?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here