No Right Answer: Best Dreamworks Film Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Best Dreamworks Film Ever

The Pepsi to Pixar's Coke, Dreamworks has put out some quality films in their history. Which one takes the computer generated cake?

Watch Video

Is it just me, or everyone started to use the word "trope" a lot more now?

So glad they talked about how to train your dragon

and how they didn't mention Antz or Shark Tale

JoaoJatoba:
Is it just me, or everyone started to use the word "trope" a lot more now?

Using trope has become a trope!

I would say Shrek is indeed the quintessential Dreamworks Animation movie. Since it's the one that kicked off the horrid era of animated movies filled with celebrities that suck at voice acting, pop culture references, and snarkiness.

I still damn that movie to hell for it.

03:18 Loose's Weight, still laughs fat.

Should be "loses" (I think)

Nitpicking done. Good points all around. I'm going Shrek due to a personal dislike of Jack Black.

Shrek 2 is the best Dreamworks film but Kung Fu Panda 1/2 and How to Train Your Dragon are the best films that Dreamworks have made.

Kung Fu Panda is too genuine in it's admiration of Kung Fu and the style of it's film to be really Dreamworks. It doesn't have the snark to the same levels of Shrek.

First of all, how to train your dragon is terrible. It missed the entire point of the book and turned it into (comparatively) another bland movie that's just like every other kid movie. Secondly, Rise of the guardians. It's Avengers with holiday characters...the easter bunny has a legion of easter islandish warrior statues, the sandman kicks ass and the entire belief system basically makes this the closest thing to a good Terry Pratchett movie we are ever going to see.

Kung Fu Panda is light years beyond Shrek. Hell, even Shrek 2 is better than Shrek. It doesn't matter anyway because How to Train Your Dragon renders this entire debate moot.

As much as I like Kung Fu Panda (and hate Shrek), How to train you Dragon is the best dreamworks movie for me. Also Megamind was so much better than all of the Shrek movies.

See Kyle looks like a Kung Fu Panda to me and Chris looks like a Shrek, just saying.

You mention How to Train Your Dragon, but nothing about Madagascar, Chicken Run, or Road to El Dorada? For shame

Obviously they never saw How to train your dragon. They're lying if they said they did :P

Zorg Machine:
First of all, how to train your dragon is terrible. It missed the entire point of the book and turned it into (comparatively) another bland movie that's just like every other kid movie. Secondly, Rise of the guardians. It's Avengers with holiday characters...the easter bunny has a legion of easter islandish warrior statues, the sandman kicks ass and the entire belief system basically makes this the closest thing to a good Terry Pratchett movie we are ever going to see.

I really think Rise of the Guardians is their best work. However I think you're wrong about Pratchett movies, have you seen The Color of Magic or Hogfather? They're incredible.

Would like to see them talk about the best of Dreamworks non CGI movies, like El Dorado and Prince of Egypt

Bloodtrozorx:
03:18 Loose's Weight, still laughs fat.

Should be "loses" (I think)

It should. However, I think the picture of him loosing weight is AMAZING (fat flying everywhere).

Oh god...I nearly lost it at the "eyebrows" ref. I've got a relative giving me a funny look right now.

Four quadrant movie, huh? Based on that...does that mean MLP:FiM is a four quadrant cartoon due to its ridiculously high fanbase?

Anyways...great debate, guys! I think I can add one more instance where Kung Fu Panda fails, but this is just my opinion: Blizzard not letting Jack Black do a "Hi, I'm (celebrity name here)...and I'm a (class name here)" commercial for the Mists of Pandaria expansion.

This is a silly argument, because the sequels of both of these films are better than the originals. The original Shrek has some serious nostalgia value for me, but I don't think it really holds up quite as well over time.

El Portero:
Kung Fu Panda is light years beyond Shrek. Hell, even Shrek 2 is better than Shrek. It doesn't matter anyway because How to Train Your Dragon renders this entire debate moot.

True facts, Shrek may have been a game changer but it felt a little unfinished, at least until the second one rolled around. Kung Fu Panda on the other paw is just awesome, it has alot of variety (happy, sad, action, slow moments) and does all of it full out.

But How to Train your Dragon is the best so pointless debate is pointless.

I want to go watch Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist now. Thanks for that.

This video had the funniest editing I've seen from you guys in a long time! The pictures and captions you chose were hilarious! You can never go wrong with the Dude.
I would say that Shrek 2 is the superior movie from that series, because that's the one that really took the fairy tale tropes and went to town on them. The first one had more jokes aimed at Disney itself. And the way you described the reference based humor of just pointing at something, expecting that alone to be funny, sounded like how yahtzee described references in Duke Nukem Forever: "Recognize this object and laugh, you sheep!"

If you haven't read the books then How to Train Your Dragon is the best dreamworks movie. If you have then it's terrible.

The comments have reminded me that dreamworks did movies that were not CGI before Shrek and i'm kinda wondering if those were included. The road to EL Dorado is a film that has never gotten old for me. Shrek was good but has not aged well. And Kung Fu Panda I have problems with because it squandered alot of really good ideas and moments.

Rise of the Guardians.

We're done here.

I really dont see the big deal with how to train your dragon, yeah its good, but the best movie ever? come on its not even the best dreamworks movie. dont get me wrong its good, but not great, its plot is well trodden, boy outcast finds pet, its been done before and it follows all the beats of those movies and every other kids movie, a small nitpick of mine is that Jay Baruchels voice is really grating and he sounds nothing like Gerard Butler his father, how does he not pick up any of his father speech patters. also Scottish vikings, and if viking are Scottish why arnt they all Scottish, if your going to given them a fake accent make it consistent.

OT. my favorite dreamworks movie is kung fu panda 2 because of gary oldmans peacock character.

Nit pick of the week: In the still shown, Will Smith is saying "Welcome to earf", not "walk da earf". You were thinking of Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction when you brought up that line.

At any rate, it's true that HTTYD is a stark departure from the book, in which the dragons are pets and not nemeses, they talk, and Toothless is like a two-outta-ten dragon, and not the most awesome and rare mystical dragon of all. But taken by itself, it was an awesome movie, I loved all the characters in it (leaving aside that Vikings weren't Scots), and I'll watch just about anything with Craig Ferguson in it.

It's also an example of how the animation is getting so good now that people are starting to take it for granted; the movie looks amazing when you stop and really look at it; kinda like Cars if you look at it as What Film Could Accomplish in 2006, rather than What Toys a Film Could Sell in 2006 And Never Mind The Thin Story.

But leaving aside the omission of that gem, Kung Fu Panda was the way better movie of these two. It looked incredible, there was great voice talent in it, and the kung fu fights were everything you loved from ridiculous kung fu films, presented entirely un-ironically and expecting you to love them.

And I did.

And also, RIP Michael Clarke Duncan.

PunkRex:

El Portero:

True facts, Shrek may have been a game changer but it felt a little unfinished, at least until the second one rolled around...

I seems to be in the minority here because I like the first Shrek better than the second one. It had its problems (specifically, the lack of a middle act), but it was enjoyable and all the jokes were referential to the fairy tale setting, unlike later ones that seems too busy passing references to pop culture and E! Entertainment as jokes.

But I agree, Kung Fu Panda is better than any Shrek movie.

hermes200:

PunkRex:

El Portero:

True facts, Shrek may have been a game changer but it felt a little unfinished, at least until the second one rolled around...

I seems to be in the minority here because I like the first Shrek better than the second one. It had its problems (specifically, the lack of a middle act), but it was enjoyable and all the jokes were referential to the fairy tale setting, unlike later ones that seems too busy passing references to pop culture and E! Entertainment as jokes.

But I agree, Kung Fu Panda is better than any Shrek movie.

In the first one they seemed to be more about breaking the mold then making a character, which was fine it was the point of the movie after all, they just felt more complete in the second one, for me at least.

I was gonna say...if Kung Fu Panda beat out Shrek in this episode, then the fix is in and Chris always wins no matter what.

Thankfully, that's not the case. :P

How on Earth is "How to Train Your Dragon" NOT a contender?

Thats like Up not being considered one of Pixar's greatest movies.

You guys couldn't be more wrong. The best is obviously How to Train- oh... you brought up. I see. Well played.

I'd probably say I like Kung Fu Panda more than Shrek though.

No "How to train your Dragon?"

Fail.

If the question is "What is the quintessential Dreamworks Movie?" The answer is indeed Shrek.

If the question is "What's the best Dreamworks Movie?" The answer should be How to train your dragon. I know not everyone will agree, but you don't need everyone to agree on the best, you just need a majority and I'm 100% convinced that majority exists.

kung fu panda 2.
Love the villain ( by Gary Oldman )
Love The relationship with the father
Love The action
etc

God-freaking-dammit I hate Shrek!

Kyle should have lost a point for even mentioning the whole whole "Matrix! Lololol!" thing _

I second Kung Fu Panda, though its sad to be watching it with family and be told that "I can totally see Po in you [personality, interests, etc.]".

artanis_neravar:
You mention How to Train Your Dragon, but nothing about Madagascar, Chicken Run, or Road to El Dorada? For shame

I'm almost certain Chicken Run was Aardman Animation.

OT: Yep, Shrek deserved to win. Kung Fu Panda was good, but it was essentially a standard hero's journey with some good jokes. And I've never seen How to Train Your Dragon.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here