Escape to the Movies: Iron Man 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Far superior to Iron Man 2, but I maintain that the first is the best of the trilogy; it had a really tight script and keeping the action down to 1v1 worked so much in its favour. Any finale that increases the number of suits in play weakens their impact. But otherwise it was very good.

I definately get where people are seeing loose plot threads dangling, but I had an enjoyable experience with this movie and I'm holding out enough faith in Marvel that some of these plot threads were left dangling deliberately. Keep in mind that this movie was the capper to a trilogy and the starting pistol for the race to Avengers 2. That's a lot for a single move that is also supposed to be standalone entertainment. Here's hoping that the next movies manage to organically ick up some of these loose ends and start weaving them into a badass cape.

Okay thread I haven't read riddle me this or rather explain this to me, why the great uncle in the skyplane was it Christmas time ?
Am I missing something subtle here ?
Was this movie slated for last year or am I just making a big deal out of nothing, can you just release a Christmas movie during summer these days ?

I liked the whole Mandarin reveal. Bin Kingsley is a great actor and I had a few good laughs when he revealed who he was.

My only problem is that the villain they replaced him with was uninterested and kind of pathetic. I mean he turned evil because Tony wasn't nice to him. That alone was enough for me to lose all interest I had in him.

immortalfrieza:

Unless that Marvel movie happens to be Amazing Spider-Man, which he's STILL making occasional digs at every once in a while because he hates it so much, and for reasons that aren't even valid, at least not the reasons he actually gives, most if not all aren't actually true.

Well that's because it's not a Marvel MOVIE, it's a Sony movie with a Marvel character. And because they messed with the source material. I can still see Bob sitting in the theater, "This isn't the Spider-man movie I wrote when I was ten!"

irishda:

immortalfrieza:

Unless that Marvel movie happens to be Amazing Spider-Man, which he's STILL making occasional digs at every once in a while because he hates it so much, and for reasons that aren't even valid, at least not the reasons he actually gives, most if not all aren't actually true.

Well that's because it's not a Marvel MOVIE, it's a Sony movie with a Marvel character. And because they messed with the source material. I can still see Bob sitting in the theater, "This isn't the Spider-man movie I wrote when I was ten!"

Heh... "messed with the source material." That's funny because ASM has been more faithful to the source material than any other Spider-Man movie, and is one of the more faithful among comic book movies in general. ASM is also no less of a Marvel movie than Iron Man 3, or the Avengers, or the first 3 Spider-Man movies for that matter. Bob is just grasping at straws to justify a hate for a movie that can't actually be justified.

Besides, ASM led to one of the best Superhero games yet, the one based on it is up there in quality with the Batman Arkham games, and that alone would justify the movie's existance even if the movie actually was crappy.

I saw it last night. It had a mix of things I liked and things I didn't like, so I guess I would overall rate the movie as "okay." :P

Firstly, it kinda bugged me that Tony was carrying the idiot ball for a good chunk of the beginning, first, issuing an open threat to the Mandarin and telling the Mandarin where he is, and doing so without being prepared for an attack, and then relying very heavily on an incomplete, non-combat-ready, non-flight-ready suit when he apparently has a number of them to choose from. Of course, the fact that Tony does this can be explained away by the fact that he hadn't slept in over 72 hours and probably wasn't thinking clearly, but still, having a plot which can only move forward due to a character's stupidity isn't especially enjoyable for me.

Secondly, that whole PTSD thing didn't seem to go anywhere and didn't have any resolution. It was just there without really adding anything to Tony's character or to the plot. I had hoped that there would be some development that would make it significant, but then the movie just ends without it being mentioned again. (Unless you count the post-credit scene) ;)

But on the plus side, it had some pretty cool scenes. Being stranded without his suit meant that Tony had to rely on his ingenuity a bit more, improvising weapons to escape from Extremis guards, Macguyvering his way into the Mandarin's stronghold, and one particularly cool battle when he has an incomplete suit and has to improvise combat with a bunch of mooks with one arm and one leg.

And I, for one, really liked the twist, but I'll talk about that over on MovieBob's Big Picture page. :)

EDIT: And is it just me? Or was the way the Mandarin talked really reminiscent of Hugo Weaving playing Smith from the Matrix films? :P

Karma168:

Damaging Iron Man: Thor uses blunt force to fight, it's just like crashing into a wall really hard - Iron man's built to survive getting knocked around. The Extremis guys could generate an instant temperature of 3000C - high enough to melt the metal of the suit and overload any electronics.

Except that makes no sense. Iron Man has been hit by lighting, and lighting can generate an instant temperature of 30,000C approximately TEN TIMES THE TEMPERATURE OF THE LAVA GUY http://news.discovery.com/earth/is-lightning-hotter-than-the-sun.htm

So ITT: If instant melting was the issue, Iron Man would've been dead long before this. Sloppy writing, bad story telling, and an absolutely indefensible bit of sabotage simply to make the writer's job of creating tension "easier".

I still can't believe there's going to be an Ant-Man movie... But yeah, Iron Man 3 was pretty damn awesome, though I do agree with my dad in that the main villain's motivation was a bit foggy and I didn't quite get it watching it through the first time.

You referenced the Cheat Commando's in the best way possible...

Bob... I think I love you. In a totally not weird way...

irishda:

immortalfrieza:

You still on that? I thought I showed you already that Bob doesn't rate movies based on how well they stick to their source. Just look at this very video for proof of that for God's sake. Bob hates ASM because he thinks it has legitimate problems with it's storytelling like completely dropped plot-threads, characters and over reliance on coincidence. I don't agree with most of it but his hate isn't based on fidelity to the source material. Find another tune to sing will you? It's really annoying when you get stuck like a broken record.

SixShooter:

Karma168:

Damaging Iron Man: Thor uses blunt force to fight, it's just like crashing into a wall really hard - Iron man's built to survive getting knocked around. The Extremis guys could generate an instant temperature of 3000C - high enough to melt the metal of the suit and overload any electronics.

Except that makes no sense. Iron Man has been hit by lighting, and lighting can generate an instant temperature of 30,000C approximately TEN TIMES THE TEMPERATURE OF THE LAVA GUY http://news.discovery.com/earth/is-lightning-hotter-than-the-sun.htm

So ITT: If instant melting was the issue, Iron Man would've been dead long before this. Sloppy writing, bad story telling, and an absolutely indefensible bit of sabotage simply to make the writer's job of creating tension "easier".

The Avengers movie quite clearly showed that Tony's arc-reactor absorbed the lightning and that is why he was fine. Also, lightning rarely causes that much heat-damage because of how quickly it passes by. An already superheated material is a completely different thing entirely.

I really liked the movie.

magicmonkeybars:
Okay thread I haven't read riddle me this or rather explain this to me, why the great uncle in the skyplane was it Christmas time ?
Am I missing something subtle here ?
Was this movie slated for last year or am I just making a big deal out of nothing, can you just release a Christmas movie during summer these days ?

I was wondering about the Christmas time as well, like it was supposed to come out 5 months ago.

People were wondering why he didn't call in reinforcements earlier, I kind of wondered too, but he didn't know what all is was going on and he needed Jarvis and Jarvis was acting wonky. I don't know, but that's kind of what I thought.

My friend asked me why he gave his address out. Do people really think no one knew where he lived? I think by saying the address he was just tired, angry and was pointing out the fact to come get him. At that time the bad guys weren't really focused on him.

Honestly, I thought this was the second worst (second to Captain America) of the Marvel Avenger movies. The twist that everyone was raving about was pretty underwhelming. Still, it was much better than most Shamylanian (or however you spell his name) twists. The story was really just stupid though and I think the movie could have taken itself a bit more seriously.

I think Bob's recommendation of this movie is based a lot on how it fits in the marvel movie universe and the problems it satisfies and I agree with his views on that. However as an Iron Man movie I think it was pretty bad.

Extremis was changed violently from it's role in the comics and was made a lot less interesting as a result. I could fill pages with all the ways the changes turned extremis into a less interesting plot device.

The multiple active Iron Man armor concept had a far more interesting introduction in the comics, in the form of the Argonaut Armors, which served to accentuate the same themes that the movie does. It's far more interesting because in the comics Tony built those armors to be useful for different purposes and each fights with unique combat styles, strengths, and weaknesses. While Tony ends that story pretty quick, which was only possible because of his intellect and quick thinking, it would have been nice to see the involved level of strategy and combat that was present in the comics carried over into this movie. Instead the armors generally seem to fight a lot more similarly in the movie and each armor individually seems to matter very little.

As a movie I think it holds up pretty well, but as an Iron Man film, and knowing we could have received so much better, I really would not have recommended seeing it in theaters.

And yet, when I went, there were like >10 people in the room, by the time the extra bit came up...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here