Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Annoying Insects

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I still think the Reapers from Mass Effect Resident Evil 5 should be there. Those bastards kamikaze-rush you and kill you in one gory sequence. On top of that, they have only one small weak spot that's hidden the majority of the time. Fuck those things.

Oh God, the Cazadores, why would you remind me of those bugs that ruined my life in Fallout.

By far the worst insects I've encountered in video games, good list Lisa!

The worst part about the cazadores is that after they poison you (which...they will always do) you get that nice KA-DOOOOOSH noice every 5 seconds for about 2 minutes straight. Making you relieve the cazadore memories again...and again and....

Really, if you use any melee weapon in New Vegas, you're good. The Cazadores need to touch you to hit you anyways, so backpedaling while charging a melee hit makes them extremely vulnerable. Not like you'll be able to run anyways.

The video game bug I hated the most (excluding PoP: Warrior Within's game ending ones) were these annoying little bastards from Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. I hated the sound they made and how they would pop out of nowhere at any time.

Also, this is relevant.

Yeah... mutated Varkids can kiss my ass. I don't even bother with Mighty Morphin on the Vault hunter modes. I spent probably 500k on respawns before I finally asked myself why. Why bother? I kinda felt like that dude that blew his pitiful life saving trying to win a Kinect, except my reward was not a shitty gimmick, but a really shitty pistol or some crap.

What's really bad messed up with the Varkids is how they somehow managed to be worse than the stalkers O.o

hazydawn:

Here are some horrific bugs for you :D
www.cracked.com/article_15816_the-5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html
Particularly the last one! ^^

I am in full agreement with Alcamonic here, I could have lived fine without that knowledge. Just for that, I'm linking this.

OT: I just dump insect enemies in games now as "get the hell away now," at least until I am over-levelled or over-powered. Screw those guys.

How about those flying insects from the second act of Diablo 3, the ones that shoot stuff at you from off screen and create like a maze of flying projectiles for you avoid. Hate those things.

hazydawn:
Why is it that most of humanity find certain life forms like insects(not all of them) disgusting, while other's like horses, cats and dogs are loved by the majority?

Humans, Horses, Cats and Dogs? You're listing mammals, there's your answer.
To be more specific though, we love them because they are or were useful to us as a race, overtime you grow fond of them, familiarity breeds affection, apparently.

OT: When I saw Cazadors from afar the first time, I kind of went "Pfft, flies, I'll just use some VATS and be on my way." Then I entered V.A.T.S. and realized a bullet from my 10mm pistol did essentially nothing to them...and I had no sneak skill...

I can see your problem now, Lisa
Casco coupon book isn't very effective against Casadores
Have you tried Minigun or Gatling laser?

Fucking Cazadores. They were the reason I always had ED-E with me- if his sensors pick up lots of fast moving dots, I pull a Nope.avi and run the fuck away.

No love for bugdom?

Cazadores...early game, make the memories go away please. Later on they are pretty easy with a marksmen carbine or similar but if you get it in your head to walk in a straight line to New Vegas at the start guess who is in your way.

My most annoying bug in the game would have to be those Halo 3 pure forms, maybe they are not bugs but they annoy me enough to go in the damn Top 5 most annoying lamp shades.

JediMB:
Cazadores are delightfully detestable creatures.

They're so frustrating to fight, but I can't help looking back at them fondly.

Plus, dodging them (or the Deathclaws) to find the shortest possible route to New Vegas is an interesting challenge.

This, all of this... I personally opt to do Old World Blues as early as possible in any play through of the game to get complete and permanent poison immunity as early as possible.

And I found that going through Black Mountain juuust far enough to find that cliff gap with beartraps and falling rocks takes you through to Repconn and from there it's a straight shot to Vegas, just got to avoid or kill a couple of super mutants or nightkin, far more manageable.

I think I enjoy this pissed-off, snarky version Lisa more than regular super-cheery Lisa. Hey, they're both great but this episode really was especially funny.

leviadragon99:

JediMB:

Plus, dodging them (or the Deathclaws) to find the shortest possible route to New Vegas is an interesting challenge.

This, all of this... I personally opt to do Old World Blues as early as possible in any play through of the game to get complete and permanent poison immunity as early as possible.

And I found that going through Black Mountain juuust far enough to find that cliff gap with beartraps and falling rocks takes you through to Repconn and from there it's a straight shot to Vegas, just got to avoid or kill a couple of super mutants or nightkin, far more manageable.

Well, I do remember there also being the option of simply running on the railroad tracks. The main point being that I avoid unnecessary experience gain, so I can pick up the Intelligence and Endurance implants outside of New Vegas before hitting level 2.

JaceArveduin:
Was she wearing a Nuka-Cola shirt? Couldn't quite tell, her hair was in the way.

Yes I believe so, I need to find one!

Bugs.. I hate bugs.. I remember playing Fallout 3, and just the fire ants gave me trouble. Probably cause I found them too early and was playing on a harder mode than my skill allowed.

Also, LISA, do you actually play all these games, man, some to me seem quite obtuse!

hazydawn:

Here are some horrific bugs for you :D
www.cracked.com/article_15816_the-5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html
Particularly the last one! ^^

Nice!

Though I object to the focus on Amazonian Army ants as opposed to the African variety called Siafu or Driver ants
here's why
Amazonian army ants have hives ranging up to 1 million or so ants for a large colony
Siafu are known to produce hives starting around 1 million ants and ranging up to 50,000,000 ants!
The Siafu queen is the biggest ant in the world! (5cm long) and it flies to mate with the males (3cm long)
Unlike the Amazonian variety the Siafu DO have stingers that are used to PARALYZE THEIR PREY!
Horses may fear Amazonian army ants but ELEPHANTS fear Siafu ants!
Let me reiterate!
ELEPHANTS RUN IN FEAR FROM SIAFU ANTS!
Siafu ants have killed more people than LIONS
When Siafu scout ants are seen whole villages are vacated until the column (some have been recorded that were several miles long and hundreds of feet in width) pass

AgentLampshade:
I still think the Reapers from Mass Effect Resident Evil 5 should be there. Those bastards kamikaze-rush you and kill you in one gory sequence. On top of that, they have only one small weak spot that's hidden the majority of the time. Fuck those things.

Are Rachni fom ME1 and ME3 insects?
In ME 1 they could kill you in one or two melee strikes, and in Mass Effect 3 they can put you down all the way across the map with artilery strikes. Also, they form a little pond of acid that does damage over time if you step on it.

Also, GOB!

Had your title been said bugs instead of insects, I'd have felt obliged to say "all of New Vegas, for being a glitchy, trippingly broken festival of fun". And yet, New Vegas made it in anyway. Hooray for the only time you'll happily reload a save and run the other way!

JediMB:

You can actually climb one of the mountains to the left of the cazador path by Goodsprings for a completely cazador-free (but fiend-filled) route right to the greater New Vegas area. And really, it says something about the damn things that several named fiends are less terrifying than three to five cazadors.

Soviet Heavy:

As for Cazadores, the worst place for them was in the mountain pass behind Red Rock Canyon. You don't like a half dozen Cazadores? Try fighting twenty of them in a narrow path while you try to steal their eggs.

I'm still not sure why, but I decided to do the GRA challenge for timed bombs while doing that mission. I have never felt so victorious as when I got three of the large bastards with one long fuse dynamite.

I almost forgot about the Cazadores. I can be decked out but die to their venom cause I wasn't paying attention to my health. Cause you tend to forget about that when you strut around in Advanced Power Armour or Elite Riot Gear and are impervious to most harm. I usually don't like using VATS, but I make an exception for them.

Wait, no mention of speedlings? "I wonder of I walled off correctly. Oh, I didn't. Game over."

If you thought Cazadors were bad, try taking those bad boys on in Hardcore mode. It's enough to make an seasoned Vault Dweller like me think twice. Just invest in sneaking and guns and have your Anti-Material Rifle at the ready and take it slooooow. Then take your best shot from as far away as humanly possible and sneak away. Repeat, later and rinse doing this makes sure they don't come near you. (But if they do, God 'elp you...)

As a veteran of Fallout 3 I thought nothing could outdo a deathclaw in terms of pant-wetting terror.

Nightstalkers? dangerous, but reasonable. Legion assassination squads? Like fighing Enclave, but more melee.

Cazadors?

This became my bible after that first nightmare of a battle.

Nooooooo! No more tarantulas please. Yuck!

drthmik:
snip

It's been my dream for a very long time to use a flamethrower to burn a locust swarm, but burning such a column of ants sounds even better :D
While wearing some sort of inpenetrable protection wear of course...

Gunjester:
Humans, Horses, Cats and Dogs? You're listing mammals, there's your answer.
To be more specific though, we love them because they are or were useful to us as a race, overtime you grow fond of them, familiarity breeds affection, apparently.

It can't be just usefulness, I bet most people would say that a tiger is a beautiful creature.
And I doubt it's just because their mammals, the answer to that question seems far more complex, though the points you mentioned certainly seem to contribute to our attitude.
Most people like ladybugs and butterflies while the naked mole rat is rather disgusting. In the case of the naked mole rat I guess it's because we associate an absence of hair on mammals with disease and humans don't seem to be fond of wrinkles.
But what makes centipedes so repulsive? Maybe it is because we naturally think they are dangerous.

Cazadors are the sole reason that I always carry a sniper rifle and max out guns, when I play this game. Always.

Run away from a Cazadore? Good luck with that... (Well, maybe if it has crippled wings.)

Happy to know I'm not the only one in pain against those Borderlands insects :(

Cazadors are not too bad if you are probably equipped (a good weapon with hollow point rounds) and run like hell if the swarm is too big. also aim for the wings really helps.

so,
sharks + bears huh,
I like how you're thinking

Great episode, Lisa!

Also, it's great to have Top Five back in general. Really enjoying the new series!

I would like to join both you and the Escapist forum community at large in saying 'Man, FUCK those fucking Cazadores'.
Utter, utter bastards!! I eventually got Rex and Veronica to accompany me, but, sometimes they bug eyed whoresons would flatten my melee companions and I'd be left to deal with the motherfuckers myself.

Gunfire, and lots of it seemed to work.

Eventually.

That and I was up to my eyeballs in stims by the end of the encounter.

Boba Frag:
Great episode, Lisa!

Also, it's great to have Top Five back in general. Really enjoying the new series!

I love Top Five, but it really is too bad that Lisa's condition for return was that she never has to deal with the forum comments. Why, I would be willing to bet she does not even read them.

I personally cant stand the Reapers from Resident Evil 5, these bastards are the only things that stopped me from getting mostly S ranks the first time round, they kill in one shot if they get up close and if they spray their crap on you before you get shots on their week spots you're basically screwed...

JediMB:

leviadragon99:

JediMB:

Well, I do remember there also being the option of simply running on the railroad tracks. The main point being that I avoid unnecessary experience gain, so I can pick up the Intelligence and Endurance implants outside of New Vegas before hitting level 2.

Well... you've got a fair chance of some Deathclaws still hanging around there, and even if you're buck naked and wielding nothing, they're faster than you... and I can understand getting the int implant as early on as possible, but the gains from endurance work retroactively so you might as well save the caps for gear to survive for just a little while... heck you need 4000 to get any of the basic stat implants and that's tough to have early on.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here