Reel Physics: Total Recall - The Fall

Total Recall - The Fall

How long would it take for an elevator to pass through the Earth? This week that question that has plagued you for years is answered.

Watch Video

Hey everyone, as always thanks for watching this week's episode covering THE FALL from the Total Recall reboot. This is extremely science/physics heavy... it's probably the closest we will come to presenting a tech lecture to you guys.

If you like the show, please share it, tweet it, and post it wherever it is you hang out on the internet so others like you can discover the show.

Don't forget to give us your suggestions here in the forums or on Facebook or email us at reelphysics@escapistmag.com.

Thanks again for supporting the show!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

I have to get working on a "Mind Blown" gif. The firework layover cracked me up.

el_kabong:
I have to get working on a "Mind Blown" gif. The firework layover cracked me up.

I have one somewhere. ;) Hang on...

Anakinnnn:

el_kabong:

I have one somewhere. ;) Hang on...

Most excellent. I foresee this getting a ton of mileage on future forum posts. Thanks.

Now granted this still doesn't help the passenger interaction with gravity be realistic, but if they did have magnets guiding the car along the tube, then they could conceivably use a maglev-like system to help propel the car, potentially allowing that 17-minute figure to work.

To be honest, for most of this episode my mind just went blank while you talked and decided to look at the pretty pictures instead. "To figure out how long it would take, *scene missing* 42 minutes."

One lesson did emerge through the haze. Today I learned that pi is exactly 3. :P

UNHchabo:
Now granted this still doesn't help the passenger interaction with gravity be realistic, but if they did have magnets guiding the car along the tube, then they could conceivably use a maglev-like system to help propel the car, potentially allowing that 17-minute figure to work.

So essentially a giant railgun-like tube?

42 minutes and 12 seconds. Thats the time it takes between 2 points through the earth :P

no mater what 2 points as long as its a straight line :D

kailus13:
So essentially a giant railgun-like tube?

Basically; magnets are used to propel some maglev trains that are used to transport passengers today in some Asian countries.

Great episode, though I have to admit I didn't watch the movie.

I got a suggestion, the Alien through a bullethole in the window scene from... which one was that... Resurrection?

great episode as usual guys I had something else to say than I realized I was talking about something complealty different because its been to long since I have taken physics so thanks for giving me my weakly does of maths

All I know is, their lucky plate tectonics have completely stopped on earth at that point.

An addendum to this would be what if the tram was accelerated and decelerated? This would explain the "gravity" on the trip down, the moment of weightlessness as the engines reverse, and the "gravity" in the opposite direction in the way up.

Edit: Sniped by UNHchabo.

castlewise:
An addendum to this would be what if the tram was accelerated and decelerated? This would explain the "gravity" on the trip down, the moment of weightlessness as the engines reverse, and the "gravity" in the opposite direction in the way up.

I have no idea if that would work. But if it did, the "gravity" from acceleration would be 180 degrees in the wrong direction to what was depicted in the movie.

You could say that the physics in Total Recall was...

*Shades on*

Aw-fall

YEEEEAAAAAAH!

Like the rest of the movie as it just so happens.

Hitchmeister:

castlewise:

I have no idea if that would work. But if it did, the "gravity" from acceleration would be 180 degrees in the wrong direction to what was depicted in the movie.

Well my quick calculations (which have only been given the briefest of sanity checks) tell me that in order to make the trip in the required amount of time they would have to accelerate at about 4.2 g's on the way down and then decelerate at the same rate on the way up.

So in addition to the gravity being the wrong way, I doubt they would look so comfortable.

I'm man enough to admit this episode went WAYYYYY over my head. Need some Advil now...

How about anytime that Tony Stark crashes into the ground using the armor. Wouldn't he basically break every bone in his body.

Anakinnnn:
Hey everyone, as always thanks for watching this week's episode covering THE FALL from the Total Recall reboot. This is extremely science/physics heavy... it's probably the closest we will come to presenting a tech lecture to you guys.

If you like the show, please share it, tweet it, and post it wherever it is you hang out on the internet so others like you can discover the show.

Don't forget to give us your suggestions here in the forums or on Facebook or email us at reelphysics@escapistmag.com.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Just reading the title made me remember that I have wanted to suggest the scene at the end of Crank where Statham falls out of the helicopter.

Ukomba:
All I know is, their lucky plate tectonics have completely stopped on earth at that point.

True, though if they could accomplish the engineering feat of tunneling through the Earth, making the tunnel some kind of free floating system that could adjust with plate movement seems pretty trivial.

artanis_neravar:

Anakinnnn:

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Just reading the title made me remember that I have wanted to suggest the scene at the end of Crank where Statham falls out of the helicopter.

Man, they don't need to check that one, it's the most believable scene EVER.

This was one special episode though, needed more aspirin than normal. Math aint my strong point.

Ickabod:
How about anytime that Tony Stark crashes into the ground using the armor. Wouldn't he basically break every bone in his body.

More than this - what about his internal organs getting thrown everywhere? I'm guessing he'd be a pulpy mess inside.

I actually kinda liked this movie
Please don't kill me

But the gravity in the fall was obviously false
(that was one of those "hey, wait a minute" moments for me)

Colin Farrel != Arnold Schwarzenegger. Truer words were never spoken.

Reboot sucked, Arnie rules, nuff' said.

Please do a video from the BSG TV series, like when the Galactica was freefalling toward a planet to rescue the humans. Or something! It's small screen, but awesome enough to deserve some coverage! :-)

PS. Did they actually say how long it would take to make the journey through the Earth? I don't *ahem* recall a number.

I generally don't fully understand all the stuff you talk about in your videos, but I usually get most of it. This episode, I'm pretty sure, is the most complex one yet, and I'm not sure I kept up all that well.

fucking loved this episode. may be my favorite one yet. keep up the good work guys

Great episode!
I also have a question, it might not need an episode but would this actually happen?

When in a space station or ship or whatever, when there's a hole or a crack in a window it always gets sucked out and everyone flies into outer space... does this actually happen?

Captcha: You're Welcome
No has even answered my question yet -.-

DTWolfwood:
42 minutes and 12 seconds. Thats the time it takes between 2 points through the earth :P

no mater what 2 points as long as its a straight line :D

Also 42 is also the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Great episode guys, one of my favourites. Though I never saw the movie (who has?), I really do enjoy the more science heavy episodes :D

STAWP READING MAH MIND! I wondered this morning if and when you would do this scene from Total Recall and lo'an-behold, you did it.

P.S. I am assuming you are holding off on anything mech related until Pacific Rim? I know the easiest target is how large mech feet would have to be to prevent them from sinking or the stress on their joints vs available building materials but please also cover stuff like power consumption, hypothetical building materials, pricing, computing power, and momentum! ^^

This is one week you guys could have started the episode said, "It's total Horse SH" and roll credits. All those formulas....aahhhhhh

Sorry but I stopped watching after they made a big deal about the inverse square law. The exponent of r in the equation for gravitational force could not be an irrational number.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here