Zero Punctuation: Star Trek

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Star Trek

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Star Trek.

Watch Video

Pitch Black, the film, was actually better than Escape from Butcher Bay, the game, from a story-telling perspective. The sequel to the film was terrible though.

EDIT: Franchise tie-in game for big budget cinema release is terrible, unsurprised gamers accept it as entirely predictable and move on.

I was dubious about this game as soon as I found out it existed.

I don't know why they keep making action games out of Star Trek, they should really be more focused on something like Starcontrol 2, where you're flying around the galaxy finding cool stuff and sometimes shooting things with your ship. Oddly enough the only Star Trek game I can think of that actually felt a bit like that was Star Trek online. Its ground combat sucked but the ship battles felt good, like you were actually flying a giant ship that was armed to the teeth.

The Rock as Wesley would be an improvment

Darn, I was hoping this week would be Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. I do agree that Pitch Black was the best of the Chronicles of Riddick movies.

I miss Star Trek 25th Anniversary. Why can't we have games like that anymore?

And Guinan will be played by Tyler Perry. Well this surprised no-one.

Ken_J:
The Rock as Wesley would be an improvment

NOBODY as Weasley would be an improvement.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand time;

The best Star Trek game ever made was Mass Effect...

4RT1LL3RY:
Darn, I was hoping this week would be Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon..

Yahtzee has said reviews are on a 2 week delay basis in a previous video so maybe in the next 2 weeks or during another XBLA overview review.

Also I didn't know star wars had a holiday until I saw the escapist death star video.

Oh, god, Yahtzee and a movie tie in, get the bile ponchos.

Gonna skip this game. I enjoyed the series and the movies. Not old Star Trek reason forbid, but the next generation even if Babylon 5 wipes the floor with it. But I tried one Star Trek game in which you are commanding the Enterprise and are supposed to fuck about in space battling it out with baddies. I got the fuck about thing down, because that was all I seemed to be able to do.

This game wants to be a mix of a lot of games and it fails quite hard at it. It's a poor man's Mass Effect from what I've seen.

Thank you for making my day Yahtzee, I was on on the floor laughing at this one.

Spock should be awesome for stealth as he has that vulcan neck thing. Well this game just looks like a crap fps game that some one made a Star Trek mod for. I think they need someone like Bioware to make the next Trek game more about diplomacy than about shooting everything in the face.

I NEED to see Statham as Picard. Can someone please pitch it to J.J Abrams or whoever it concerns.

where i work i think we have only sold two or three copies of this game since launch date. we even found out the ps3 version had a error in its code that wouldn't allow it to be sold and it took almost two weeks for anyone to notice.

JSW:

Sadly, a huge mass media franchise like Star Trek must have a AAA tie-in, and point-and-click adventure games are a niche thing now.

Kmadden2004:

The first one, maybe, although it's lacking space combat. The sequels aren't even a decent Space: Above and Beyond game.

I don't think I've played a single good Star Trek game since I played Star Trek: 25th Anniversary... in 1992! What an excellent point-and-click adventure that was - I never got tired of its Red Shirt jokes.

The last time I tried to install it, it was sadly unplayable due to the animation speed seemingly tied to CPU clock speed. Which was fine when I played it the first time on a Pentium... not so good now. Damn, I really want to play that game again.

I'm genuinely surprised that the new Star Trek game is balls!
-No one ever

Yeah I'm not at all surprised by this.

Haven't watched it yet but I know it's a bull being led to the slaughter. He must've had a bad week. Why else take out anger on this poor game?

I had no idea they released a Star Trek game...

Well this shouldn't be a surprise as the pc version was reported to be inherently broken.

I think what you should've done for 8 hours is play (and likely enjoy) Far cry Blood Dragon would've been cheaper and likely a better investment of your time. Since I thought we established last gen that these movie tie in games are just money grabs and usually suck.

Thanks Yahtzee, that was the funniest thing I've watched all week. Its always good when you get something to really tear apart, its much better than when you think something is meh or Godforbid, good.

Star Trek Online is actually a good game. It was bare bones at the start, but it's evolved and not gone down the "WoW clone" route most MMOs do now.

As for Star Trek: The Game. I got it at launch and...I actually had a ton of fun with it. I've played through it twice so far and the mechanics are actually decent - a bit wonky in areas (and the space level is terrible), but far from bad. The dialogue between Kirk and Spock is also great.

After some of the reviews, I was quite surprised as to how decent it is. Not great in any way, but decent. I actually had more fun than Gears of War 3 (although it is in no way in the same league as GoW3 in terms of quality).

I don't think anyone ever looks at a movie tie in game and says "boy this will be good" no we go in expecting it to be bad, and if it is not a steaming pile of crap then we declare it a huge success and throw parties.

So I was feeling curiously optimistic about this game, in a "tie-in game that might not suck and might actually be vaguely interesting" kind of way, but I having now seen what Angry Joe and Yahtzee have to say about it, I'm going to give it a miss.
Thank you games journalists/reviewers/whatever you want to call yourselves. You have taken a hit by playing this shitty game, and now I don't have to.

Anyone remembers Birth of the Federation? That game was awesome (yeahactually it wasn't THAT great, but shut up ^^). You could chose to be Federation, Klingon, Romulans or Cadassians and build your space empire like in Civilisation. I was a huge sucker for Star Strek and especially DS9 at the time so I absolutly loved it.

Captchs: run amok -> No, I won't :p

This game is just like Aliens: Colonial Marines which is a shit game for twats with the name of beloved franchise slapped on the front of the box like a name tag that's been pinned to a dog turd.

I'm just happy I managed to get my old copy of Starfleet Command running again (albeit not perfectly, but well enough to play). Now that was a Star Trek game done right.

Gosh, I'm everytime surprised by how a largely very intelligent guy like Yatzeeh can be so stupid and serious about something like the naming of Star Wars. So what, it's not about the stars themselves, but only set in the stars or between "star systems", which the same as "countries" or "continents" doesn't have to mean the actual geographical entities themselves as opposed their political and social manifestations...

Falseprophet:

JSW:

Sadly, a huge mass media franchise like Star Trek must have a AAA tie-in, and point-and-click adventure games are a niche thing now.

Kmadden2004:

The first one, maybe, although it's lacking space combat. The sequels aren't even a decent Space: Above and Beyond game.

ME2&3's ground combat and crewmen drama married to Star Trek: Online's space combat would be the definitive Star Trek Game

I'll have you know, my mum cooks very well, Yatzhee. You've had your last moussaka in this household, mister! >:(

Very funny video, Yahtzee. I haven't played any STAR TREK games, but this newest one doesn't sound like it sticks to whatever worked in the older games, or what the older series were about. Good gravy, they couldn't even be arsed to add some color to the box cover!

synobal:
I don't think anyone ever looks at a movie tie in game and says "boy this will be good" no we go in expecting it to be bad, and if it is not a steaming pile of crap then we declare it a huge success and throw parties.

I know what you mean, but you can't always expect it to totally suck. I heard bad things about the first Iron Man movie tie-in game, so I didn't play it, but one of my friends enjoyed it. I also heard mediocre things about Captain America: Super Soldier, I played it and liked it. It's just a matter of taste and tolerance for what annoys you.

Kmadden2004:

I suggest FTL as a more adequet example. Although Mass Effect is awesome it lacks the diplomacy or the space combat.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here