No Right Answer: Best John Hughes Film Ever

Best John Hughes Film Ever

Are you a fan of life? Then you are a fan of the collective films of John Hughes. Time to stop buying girl's underwear and decide which one is best.

Watch Video

Thank you for switching to 16 Candles, there should have been no way that was left out of Best John Hughes Movie.

Well i've got some movies I need to watch. To AMC and Netflix!

JaredXE:
Thank you for switching to 16 Candles, there should have been no way that was left out of Best John Hughes Movie.

Home Alone doesn't hold a candle to it!

Might I be the first to say, where the hell was Ferris Bueller?

SlightlyEvil:

I initially thought the same, but Ferris' absence makes sense when you take their criteria into consideration. It's a great teen comedy, but you certainly can't relate to or empathise in the same way you can with Breakfast Club or 16 Candles.

Urh:

SlightlyEvil:

I initially thought the same, but Ferris' absence makes sense when you take their criteria into consideration. It's a great teen comedy, but you certainly can't relate to or empathise in the same way you can with Breakfast Club or 16 Candles.

I guess so. Those two are about the real teenage experience, whereas Ferris is sort of a wish-fulfillment character. Ferris is the Platonic ideal of "the cool kid", which really doesn't exist.

That said, I've also never seen either of the films discussed today. The line for the public stoning of the heathen forms to the right.

Yea. The Breakfast Club is probably his best movie but 16C was my personal favorite.

If you must know, Dan's mustache was one of the highlights of the Star Wars video for me.

GonzoGamer:
Yea. The Breakfast Club is probably his best movie but 16C was my personal favorite.

It would've been his best if the ending didn't horribly betray its own message.

"We are who we are, and that's okay, because in the end we're all the same. Except for you, Ally Sheedy, you need to get dolled up so Emilio Estevez can hook up with you." Fuck you, movie!

After all these years that still pisses me off.

Was that a Futurama reference I saw?

I do agree with the final point. I don't feel like there's many teenage movies that are very relatable anymore. (There may be a few left, but they're the great rarity)

I have to agree, Breakfast Club is one of my all time favourite movies, period.

16 Candles is good to, but BC is great.

SlightlyEvil:

Urh:

SlightlyEvil:

I guess so. Those two are about the real teenage experience, whereas Ferris is sort of a wish-fulfillment character. Ferris is the Platonic ideal of "the cool kid", which really doesn't exist.

That said, I've also never seen either of the films discussed today. The line for the public stoning of the heathen forms to the right.

Will you provide the stones, or is it BYOS?

OT: Ferris Bueller is the equivalent of the party movies they talk about at the end, which show things that movies say are the average teen experience, but isn't really. It's a good film, and Cameron is one of my favourite movie characters of all time, but it still lacks the depth of 16 Candles and the Breakfast Club.

The first time I watched BC was back in middle school, around 2003-ish. I find it a lot more relatable now as a 20 something year old than I did back then. It's seriously true that "teen movies" today really seem to be more about dumbasses being dumbasses and having parties or whatever.
Kyle may have just given the best analysis of BC I've ever heard.

Also, that really was a beautiful moustache.

Also, I particularly enjoyed the references this week; too many good ones to count.

Never heard of the guy or those two movies.
Home Alone of course, but the others????? !

Do we need to have the "international audience" talk again, guys?
Really depressing! :(

Kenjitsuka:

If you have heard of Home Alone and not these two then its your fault, not the fact that you are from an "international audience"
Hell theres even another guy from the netherlands in this very comment section who wrote about how much he enjoys these movies.

SlightlyEvil:

Bueller? Bueller?
Even though Breakfast Club speaks more to the wide-reaching teenage experience, I prefer Hughes' comedies, like Ferris Bueler's Day Off and Weird Science. They meet the criteria the guys established, as they were '80's made and very much products of their time with lasting appeal (i.e. DON'T REMAKE THEM!!!).

minimacker:

The 7-leaf clover? Yeah, I caught it. Nice one, guys.

Casual Shinji:

GonzoGamer:

It would've been his best if the ending didn't horribly betray its own message.

"We are who we are, and that's okay, because in the end we're all the same. Except for you, Ally Sheedy, you need to get dolled up so Emilio Estevez can hook up with you." Fuck you, movie!

After all these years that still pisses me off.

Yea, it was pretty stupid but I wouldn't say it ruined the whole movie. The Ewok block party at the end of Jedi doesn't ruin that movie. Why? Because you know the Ewoks are chowing down on dead stormtroopers.

SlightlyEvil:

Thank you for mentioning this, because this is the correct answer.

Kenjitsuka:

His movies are certainly more popular in the US than the rest of the world, but suggesting that they're unknown outside the US is pretty ridiculous. They're widely known. That's like saying no one in the US has heard of Guillermo del Toro because most of his movies are in Spanish.

Also, finding easily-accessible, worthwhile movies to watch should be invigorating, not depressing. If you're just mad because you haven't heard of a movie, then that's not an issue of American cultural insensitivity. That's just youth and laziness.

I agree,

American Pie DOES have a lot to answer for in terms of setting the standard for not just teen movies but a lot of comedy movies as well

Kenjitsuka:

Well I'm Irish, born in 1990 and John Hughes' 80's films are my favourites of the genre and Breakfast Club is in my top 10.

Lunar Templar:
I agree,

American Pie DOES have a lot to answer for in terms of setting the standard for not just teen movies but a lot of comedy movies as well

Movies of the time have kind of the same issue as music of the time (ie pop punk) it started out fairly braindead but enjoyable on a basic level, American Pie and Blink 182 for example. And that was cool for kids of the time because we were silly and we were dumb and silly dumb kids were let go wild and make silly dumb pop culture. Then it became successful and popular. At the start it was just these guys making jokes and having fun with their friends and then it became an industry. One thing I'll always say about American Pie is it might not have been clever or deep but it's hard to call it soulless.

I saw the title, and thought it said "Best John Holmes movie". I thought Escapist is getting kinda risque, aren't they? Are they gonna argue Flash of the Lotus or Blonde Fire, or The Jade Pussycat or... I can go on.

minimacker:

Maybe! (Dan throws down smoke pellet and escapes in the confusion)

Ahem. Steff the bastard, sad Harry Dean Stanton, Iona, and Duckie dancing. Pretty in Pink has a better cast, and better characters than any other Hughes film. He'll it has Andrew Fucking Dice Fucking Clay, Dweezil Zappa, and Buffy herself in small roles. Plus Duckie lip-syncing Otis Redding.

Rewatching Breakfast Club again ...

It just seems so melodramatic and some scenes are really freaking stupid. Like the princess suddenly falling for the bad kid, when he treats her like crap for the entire movie.

Father Time:
Like the princess suddenly falling for the bad kid, when he treats her like crap for the entire movie.

Yes that would never happen in real life :p

Sorry but obvious joke had to be told ;)

some movies are timeless classics and the breakfast club is definitely one of them for me

octafish:
Ahem. Steff the bastard, sad Harry Dean Stanton, Iona, and Duckie dancing. Pretty in Pink has a better cast, and better characters than any other Hughes film. He'll it has Andrew Fucking Dice Fucking Clay, Dweezil Zappa, and Buffy herself in small roles. Plus Duckie lip-syncing Otis Redding.

Like Ferris, you can argue this is a great movie, but I don't think it captured 80s stereo types (which seems counter to the requirement the movie be timeless, but it isn't somehow). EDIT: I just didn't know any teens that loved Otis back then, or dressed like Elvis. Steff the bastard was pretty good as a 1980s douche.

I think the Breakfast club far more serious and explorative of archetypes than 16 Candles. I've also seen it on TV a million times more than candles, so, someone out there wants it put on more for some reason.

They fucked us up our mum and dad,
They may not meant to but the do.
They filled us with the faults they had,
And add some extra just for you.

I don't know why this episode reminded me of this poem.......

Yeah uhh.. Weird Science is the best John Hughes movie followed by Ferris Beuller. I mean, they made a woman...a smoking hot babe (I believe would be the proper terminology for a movie from the single greatest year in nerd culture.)and she turns their dick bag older brother into a shit monster.

Forget best Hughes movie...that might be the greatest movie ever made...

Ok, It's super awesome you put my thing up there, but since I don't like how much design sheet it look I'll do a better of him just screaming that - like RIGHT NOW

Another great episode btw, and I loved how Kris was disqualified - Dan has so much charisma.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here