Neon Genesis Evangelion

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

as much as this is true Tenchi Muyo was far worst

Welp, looking at that made me choke on my soft drink.

Shinji drives me insane though, I really don't like him.

I think in Evangelion's case it is more likey that they would go for Shinji, not the other way. That is to say, it's practically impossible.

Erin's rage always ensures a fun time.

I'm pretty sure not sticking it in the crazy applies to everyone on that show. Plus Shinji's ass never did recover from how massively his dad screwed him over before the show started.

I liked the previous one better, Gendo with the nr. 1 dad coffee mug is so much win.

DVS BSTrD:
I'm pretty sure not sticking it in the crazy applies to everyone on that show. Plus Shinji's ass never did recover from how massively his dad screwed him over before the show started.

Sticking it in crazy is AWESOME. Those warnings are just for the amateurs.

Well... considering they were all kids, Erin has some really "call the FBI" tastes.

He tried onceor twice. Maybe three times.. Didn't turn out so well. The other times? Well, I can't blame him for not being able to get it on to this playing in the background :P.

unacomn:
Well... considering they were all kids, Erin has some really "call the FBI" tastes.

But with 3.0 it's legal now ;D.

Didn't you already do this one...

Anyway this is what anime is always about, all sexual innuendo and never so much as a dry hump.

HAHA! One of the main reason I could never get anime was the way everything seems to be dragged out mercilessly. I can totally emphasie with Erin's rage on this one.

Eddras:

Oh God I remember watching some episodes of that on Cartoon Network (I think?). "Does anything actually ever happen in this show?", was all I could think.

In Tenchi's defense, most of the women were plainly nuts and he did end up chasing a love interest at his school, so it's not like he wasn't interested, he was just trying to get away from the insanity. Personally, I would have gotten with Ryoko so fast...

good to know I wasn't only one screaming this inside my head while watching this anime
"Bang the redhead, dammit" was the line that constantly went through my head

P.S.Although to be fair, "Bang the redhead" is my usual solution to every single problem.

unacomn:

Psht they are all teens, they are expected to fuck like bunnies on extasy :P

OT: This goes so well with the #1 dad evangelion comic they did a while back.

In Shinji's defense, he is one big ball of fucked up already. That's kinda the point of the show, isn't it? That Shinji has massive psychological problems related to abandonment and has no idea how to relate to people, or get over his fear of them? It does make him a frustrating protagonist, but it's for a greater purpose.

For Hideaki Anno to fuck with your head.

Hah, you really hit the nail on the head here! Yes, Shinji is all kinds of messed up, especially considering where the last movie is going...

Isn't this like the oldest damn joke since the birth of the harem genre?

And I hate to be that "You're missing the point" guy, but... yeah.

Oh god my childhood. *sob*

I just realized that Eva is 18 years old now. Holy crap I feel old (and I'm not!).

Well shit.

Everytime my life sucks that little bit too much, I turn on the final scene of Evangelion.

And then it ain't so bad.

The emotional/mental/philosophical banshee screams I unleash turn me into a rather sane individual.

Hurrah.

That said Shinji's issues wouldn't have been resolved by being screwed by Eros himself. And a minotaur.

And possibly a Tarrasque as well.

blackrave:
good to know I wasn't only one screaming this inside my head while watching this anime
"Bang the redhead, dammit" was the line that constantly went through my head

P.S.Although to be fair, "Bang the redhead" is my usual solution to every single problem.

If there was more banging of redheads (and also more redheads for the banging), the world would be a much better place.

And the comics are still going as far as I know. Evangelion actualy has more drama than Kimi Ni Todoke and it's not nearly as much fun. I really like evangelion, but they should have sticked with giant robots and conspiracy theories and left the drama to someone else.

I get the impression you really don't like Shinji, Grey.

Also, Erin's left hand is in a suspicious place considering what she is saying.

Casual Shinji:

And I hate to be that "You're missing the point" guy, but... yeah.

To be fair, it happened in the last comic as well. I think Grey gets the point, but is just choosing to ignore it for comedic effect.

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:

Sticking it in crazy is AWESOME. Those warnings are just for the amateurs.

True dat, you just have to know when it's time to fake your own death and move to another country.

Eddras:

hey now Tenchi had a very good reason for never making a move, self preservation. no matter who he chose he would die horribly.

OT: I personally prefer the ending made in the manga Evangelion Re-take. now it borders on the line between regular manga and hentai but its worth the read.

Eddras:

At least Tenchi Muyo was funny about it. NGE is just depressing.

LordLundar:

Eddras:

At least Tenchi Muyo was funny about it. NGE is just depressing.

Indeed, that's the inherently unsettling part of Evangelion that will never change. They can remake the anime, talking about 'we'll do it much better now', but it's still an anime about the Apocalypse which can only be stopped by a cadre of the most fucked up teenagers EVER. Let by the most fucked up dad EVER. That only gets you so far before you realize it's just Hideaki Anno playing a game of 'how sad and frustrating can I make the viewer'.

The anime has a niche audience, and I can appreciate what it tried to do. It's just not for me.

Really, you'd think with all the complaints Erin has she'd complain about 3.33 sucking the most. It'd be the most topical and the most relatable subject here.

Yes, 3.33 sucks.

Zachary Amaranth:
Erin's rage always ensures a fun time.

Yeah, but it's also helped by the fact that she seems to give up at the end. There really should be name for that trope where a character has a build-up of anger and then releases it into completely apathy. It seems to be very effective.

Eddras:

Oh GOD yes. Shinji at least had the excuse of VERY low self esteem and some legitimate mental problems alongside everyone he was attracted to being crazy in their own rights. Tenchi though? Tenchi is just THE king puss of anime. Surrounded by gorgeous girls, and unlike 90% of anime harem protagonists he can legit marry any of them that has an interest in him, yet he still has the gall to whine about his situation.

Eddras:

Hey now, how do you figure that? Tenchi Muyo only lasted 13 episodes with maybe only one movie that was actually in MUYO's continuity (ie. not Universe or In Tokyo). Evangelion lasted 26 and has had about four different movies about its original continuity. Within half of Muyo's run, Tenchi was already leaning towards getting it on with one of the girls of his harem (even if it was the especially bitchy one that would result in incest and had that comical lisp in the English run), and would ultimately have been staring down an entire intergalactic military fleet led by her father, who was hellbent on stopping such a union if the show had not gotten cancelled.

Besides, Tenchi had the reason of common sense for not making a move. No matter who he picked, he would have died. He was probably waiting for the day when he could rely on the Lighthawk Wings to protect him from all of the things, including bad decisions.

Shinji, on the other hand, never made a move for no reason. Not on mom-clone 2000 (which he had no way of knowing at the time the window was wide open), not on Asuka (who he jerked off ON in the first movie, and who before the first series ended was wondering why he HADN'T made a move on her... before she completely suffered that mental breakdown), not on MILFsato who flat out said she'd have done him in the first movie (before dying horribly if I recall, but still) and will definitely not make a move on YOLOswag Mari.

TL;DR: Tenchi would've tapped something eventually, Shinji would still be trying to motivate himself with "I mustn't run away" chants.

Legion:

Also, Erin's left hand is in a suspicious place considering what she is saying.

I do believe you might have a point, though I'm not sure if the faces detract or add to any such accusations

God dammit Shinji, GET IN SOMETHING!

Well I never watched the show but I can relate based on a few animes I have watched. Needless to say I had more difficulty brething after each panel.

Hmmmm....Is the issue that Shinji hasn't made a move in all this time, or that we have all been yelling at him for just as long with no improvement yet in sight?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here