Evangeliowned

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I agreed with the strip. You really just want to throttle that kid by the end of the series. It's not even the fact that he has multiple chances of doing every character in the show. He's a goddamn baby. Trust me I went through more trauma by that age than that kid could ever imagine and still had functioning hormones and balls to do things that needed to be done. I'm sorry to say I really never found any character on that show appealing as a personality. They got an A+ for concept and production(mostly), but the characters were poop. God I think I empathized with the dad more than anyone.

anonymity88:

RJ 17:
Oh, and let's not forget the mousepads with the 3D tits "wrist cushions"

Dear mother of God. >_>

"Deep and meaningful."

I'll say! :P

Touche sirs Touche! XD

still need to see the 3rd movie Dx

Pinkamena:
*Incoherent screaming of Evangelion fans in the distance*

Aaah... The sound of justice.

And justice is a wonderful thing to behold. Hehehehe
"I love the sound of Butthurt in the morning"

Behold Justice at its finest:

I love the slippers - classy, really!
The counter-argument is also good, but the slippers still top it all :)

The other stuff shown around here, razors and mousepads and whatnot... yeah, no words to describe this awkwardness.

So is Erin still seeing video game characters or what?

YES YES YES YES! This is perhaps the most brilliantly mean Critical Miss EVER! I nearly roared out in victory when seeing this.

Why would anyone not like the last Eva comic. It was funny, and timed well with a re-emergent Eva crazies.

Personally I'd only criticize it for for implying that sex didn't occur, but since all sex in the original occurred off screen you're always left with the audience interpreting what happened. Misato and Shengi probably had sex after her boyfriend died, but off screen like when she had sex with her boy friend they flipped to a picture and a watch. Then there was that scene in the hospital in the movie that my wife, and I, would rather forget.

There was also never any deep meaning to Eva. It's a fairly shallow fan service story peppered with conspiracy theorist lingo. The ending to the series and original movie is nothing more than a sharp left turn coupled with psychology psycho babel. It also gave weight to the rumor that the creator may have been associated with the weird end of the world cult.

You can`t be serious. People took offense to a group of people on the internet making fun of Evangelion? Mocking the franchise has always been a running gag among the anime community!

RJ 17:
Oh, and let's not forget the mousepads with the 3D tits "wrist cushions"

I feel sorry for the HR person who has to call an employee into their office for this.

Treaos Serrare:
I honestly have NO idea who Shinji is supposed to be portraying, seriously spineless daddy issues V.S. Giant mecha Pilot is not even remotely a contest, I'll give him being freaked out about the whole thing for maybe the first five minutes or so of battle but after his first victory he should have been all in on that shit not whining and wimping out at every available opportunity and that's just the mech side of the equation. there's what 4-5 girls in the series that try to get with him or at least give him the opportunity and he is just utterly clueless about them and any progression he makes at all as a character is immediately reverted to pre-eva shinji at the very first opportunity or with no reason at all in a jarring shift that would drop the transmission out of most cars

Emotionally unstable 14 year olds make poor substitutes for soldiers, who knew?

piscian:
I agreed with the strip. You really just want to throttle that kid by the end of the series. It's not even the fact that he has multiple chances of doing every character in the show. He's a goddamn baby. Trust me I went through more trauma by that age than that kid could ever imagine and still had functioning hormones and balls to do things that needed to be done. I'm sorry to say I really never found any character on that show appealing as a personality. They got an A+ for concept and production(mostly), but the characters were poop. God I think I empathized with the dad more than anyone.

You saw your mother absorbed by a semi-sentient bio-mech and were without ceremony shipped off to someone who did not care about you, by someone who did not care about you, only be brought back into his fold to do the job that frankly should have been left to someone who'd been trained for it? You know like a commando or something.

Damn son, I commend you for such strength of character. It's just a shame humanity has this irritating habit of being different so some folks get better as their situation gets worse and others...well, don't.

Best strip ever.

I love you guys, marry me.

So the counter argument you are raising is that because of marketed products that fall outside the shows story line have some way of affecting that storyline? You should have taken the high road, but this is such horrible argument that one must simply pull a pin and watch it fall.

1337mokro:

I think I can One Up everyone else here, if you known what it is, congratulations, you have spent enough time on the internet to lose most of your soul :)

If you want they have the other female types as well. Sadly ladies and gents no Shinji version.

Ok, I'll bite. What the fuck is it?

Also captcha: no means no...heh, captcha has been reading your post.

canadamus_prime:
Wait... people got upset over the previous comic? Really? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

People get upset over anything.

In fact, at this moment, people are getting upset over the fact that I said people get upset over anything.

...I don't get it?

No, seriously, I don't get what this strip was supposed to be about. I didn't see all that many people blasting the last strip because "OMG Evangelion is teh deep!" or anything. I just remember myself and a few others commenting that it relied on the oldest Eva punchline going, one you guys had already used once.

And anyways, what isn't marketed and merchandised these days? I'm not going to criticise the themes of society and chaos in The Dark Knight just because Christian Bale was slapped on a few lunchboxes. I'm not going to ignore the genius of the first few Alien films just because they spawned a media franchise. Stuff gets popular, it gets merchandised.

Seeing Shinji smiling and being happy in that burger advertisement would be enough to make me check if I was sent to some kind of bizarre alternate reality.

Zykon TheLich:

1337mokro:

I think I can One Up everyone else here, if you known what it is, congratulations, you have spent enough time on the internet to lose most of your soul :)

If you want they have the other female types as well. Sadly ladies and gents no Shinji version.

Right now I can't decide if its a sex doll or some kind of ice tray for drink bottles. Could go either way on this one.

Geez, is it a law that webcomic creators aren't allow to make joke/ stab at things they don't like? I pretty sure many webcomics out there have done something similar (not necessary toward an anime he/ she doesn't like).

Either way the more the merrier toward Evangelion gags (well ok not all the time as I do like to read the usualy stuff that goes on with Erin).

I love this comic. XD

I could never watch Evangelion for long because the main character is such a bitch.

Gordon_4:

Zykon TheLich:

1337mokro:

Right now I can't decide if its a sex doll or some kind of ice tray for drink bottles. Could go either way on this one.

Considering it says something along the lines of "Link connected lotion" in the left bottom corner of the box, I'd say you're closer with the sex doll/toy theory. 0_0

The whole "We aren't taking the high road" was perfect. Wearing the kitty slippers with that outfit was downright hysterical.

Like any other fandom, fans shouldn't take it too seriously. Star Wars... Kinect. Evangelion... love pillows. My Little Pony... Cupcakes. We all have our burdens to bear.

Oh man, I love you guys.

I'm not a fan of Evangelion, and my brother outright hates it, so I'm sure he'll laugh at this too.

I DO own a hugging pillow of a certain character from Madoka Magica though, so I feel like I don't have the right to criticize EVA in that regard. Lots of anime have those, actually.
Still, this is funny.

I kind of expected this comic to be making fun of the comment I made, but making fun of excessive merchandising is always nice.

Even so Last week joke was still disgusting and you should feel bad for it.

Right, thats it!! I'm buying me an Asuka love pillow. It gets cold up north you see....and lonely.

TheFinalFantasyWolf:

Gordon_4:

Zykon TheLich:

Considering it says something along the lines of "Link connected lotion" in the left bottom corner of the box, I'd say you're closer with the sex doll/toy theory. 0_0

You are indeed very warm with the last guess.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
...I don't get it?

No, seriously, I don't get what this strip was supposed to be about. I didn't see all that many people blasting the last strip because "OMG Evangelion is teh deep!" or anything. I just remember myself and a few others commenting that it relied on the oldest Eva punchline going, one you guys had already used once.

And anyways, what isn't marketed and merchandised these days? I'm not going to criticise the themes of society and chaos in The Dark Knight just because Christian Bale was slapped on a few lunchboxes. I'm not going to ignore the genius of the first few Alien films just because they spawned a media franchise. Stuff gets popular, it gets merchandised.

The fact that fans talk about how deep it is, but it's used to sell Doritos, fast food and body pillows.

A poor line of argument, but considering it is satire, and the comic mentions they aren't taking the high road, I doubt many will take it seriously. It's meant for humour after all.

Like me, you also didn't see a lot of people apparently using "You don't get it, it's deep" as a response either. The way people are reacting, I half expected to see the comments section was akin to the Bioware forums after Mass Effect 3 was released. I looked back and read them today and am still unsure on what the hell people are talking about.

Although, I do find it kind of funny that so many people are commenting about how great it is to rip on NGE and the fans, when I'd say it is very likely that Grey is actually a fan of the show himself.

You know, I think Grey is taking all the outrage, and I just can't have that. So, I would like to advance the theory that NGE is the Call of Duty of the anime industry. Think about it, it's a shallow work of 'art' that tries to seem deep and serious and meaningful, but it's about as easy to figure out as 2+2=4. Both never seems to die no matter how many times it gets made and remade. Both seem to be some kind of standard that all others in its genre are compared against, and genuinely interesting and better shows/games end up receiving relatively little press and praise despite their quality because they're up against this massive, overhyped, overrated drivel.

Oh man, this has to be one of the funniest strips from you guys. Nice work!

Yeah, same as last time, while I definitely LOVE EVANGELION, I have to 100% AGREE with Grey's point, here. Watching (and buying) the original series, the director's cut, and the two End of Eva movies was all fine and good. However, the further spates of remakes after that definitely began to feel more "cash-cow" driven as opposed to trying to push any sort of deep philosophical meaning. You get it the first couple of times; the deep meaning being Eva is loneliness and lose. The deep meaning behind the further mass commercialization of Eva is "Give me all yo' money!". As an artist, if you want to preserve the mystique and deep hidden meaning of your work (spawning innumerable mental masturbation sessions, fan-fiction, and other derivative works from others to elevate you to the status of creative genius), you need to know when to quit while your ahead (learn from Lucas and his damnable midichlorians).

hentropy:

Izanagi009:

hentropy:
Personally I'm just tired of Evangelion as a topic of discussion. I mean, the jokes write themself. Harem-mecha anime with the main character being the whiniest whiner in whine town, and he's whining about driving giant robots and saving the world. It was deep and unique back in 1995, there have been dozens of anime now that have done it better.

I guess people still want to talk about it because it was a major moment for a lot of anime fans (me included) to see a show that had the sort of, in my opinion, nihilism, hatred towards humanity (especially the otaku Anno hated), and brutality inflicted on the characters both mentally and physically. Other shows may have done it better, Psycho Pass did the nihilism of society thing to a good extent and some of the gundam shows after Eva did the character perspective and trauma better, but Evangelion was the show that kicked off this wave of dark and spiteful anime and people will always talk about the big game changer.

I watched Lain and GitS before I watched NGE, and by that time NGE looked relatively simple, almost looking like a pale imitation of what the others were trying to pull off, despite it coming before either of the anime series (although GitS was a manga at the time).

So basically, it's cause you saw the stuff that had the dark and brooding stuff that EVA had before you saw EVA.

Thats pretty much how EVA is. Brooding before it became cool to brood. Basically, EVA is a hipster.

It is a little headscratching that, at its heart, Evangelion has always been a fairly deep show, diving into discussions about the human condition and whatnot...and then they go ahead and market the hell out of it. Granted, it seems more that this isn't exactly Anno's idea, and that Gainax just saw money and exploited whatever markets they could find. It says a lot about Japan's culture when it has about as much merch for Eva there as there is for Star Wars in the US. This of course despite the fact that it really isn't all that commercial...

Still, when you ignore all the merchandise and product placement that spawned from it, it's still a great story. It's just hard to defend something that has been plastered all over...well, everything.

The next 2 questions are coming from a guy that really doesn't like Eva and also feels like it's alleged deepness is a construct of it's fanbase.

1.) Can someone point me in the direction of the people that cried foul in the last strip or talked about how deep the show was in response to it? Because I didn't see them.

2.) In what way does the marketing have shit all to do with the content of the show, exactly...?

These are honest questions, because I'm genuinely a bit confused.

As I recall, the project of the original evangelion was pretty much The Producers. As in grabbing a crazy guy to write an anime they know will flop so they can rake in insurance or w/e. And all the religious references were just there to look cool. Then it turned out to be cool.....

I am reminded of this big book of religious interpretations of See Spot, See Spot Run, Run Spot Run....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here