Escapist News Now: Pokemon X and Y Mounts Introduced

Pokemon X and Y Mounts Introduced

Nintendo announced new details about Pokemon X and Y and how mounts are being added to the gameplay.

Watch Video

I don't...

You know what, sure, fine. I'll accept it, if it means I get to ride Charizard.

I'm more excited by the character customization myself. Sounds pretty interesting, and a step in a potentially innovative direction for the games?

Go go Pokemon GoGo!

Sorry, kinda had to.

I can just imagine all of the rideable Pokemon that Nintendo and Game Freak have made. Torterra? Arcanine? Rapidash? Onix?

I wonder if the same goes for flying animations and surfing animations. Would absolutely LOVE to surf on a Gyarados! Or an Empoleon. But mainly Gyarados. Or Kingdra. Or, really, Gyarados.

I want to ride a scolipede:

Also Pancham is kinda adorable.

CJ1145:

I'm more excited by the character customization myself. Sounds pretty interesting, and a step in a potentially innovative direction for the games?

Except that the character 'you play as' is more of a vehicle in which you travel. And your Pokemon are the true characters you play as.
They could replace the 'trainer' with a blob and I wouldn't mind.

Maybe this is a first step towards making the trainer feel worth existing.

It's still grating on me that since delving into '3D' graphics, the diagonal lines are pixley. I liked the GBA generation because they had perfected the sprite graphic. The aesthetic was awesome. The aesthetic took a leap backwards when Pokemon went onto the DS. Time for the painfully slow process of making the Primary Portable Pokemon games look aesthetically pleasing again...

I'm looking forwards to the new Pokemon being leaked. So far, the released images have been meh. Only the legendary and the goat I actually like the look of. I'm hoping some of the creepy 'basic' Pokemon might evolve into something better.

scw55:
I'm looking forwards to the new Pokemon being leaked. So far, the released images have been meh. Only the legendary and the goat I actually like the look of. I'm hoping some of the creepy 'basic' Pokemon might evolve into something better.

Which Pokemon do you find creepy? Besides the new "flesh bow" eevelution, Sylveon.

The goat is pretty underwhelming, but it said mounts plural so here's hoping for some good ones.

CJ1145:

Even if it's baby steps, the thing that the Pokemon francise needs more than anything is innovation, or just more interesting gameplay and story in general. We've got pretty much the same game over and over again since the beginning, and it's getting REALLY boring.

kailus13:

scw55:

Which Pokemon do you find creepy? Besides the new "flesh bow" eevelution, Sylveon.

The goat is pretty underwhelming, but it said mounts plural so here's hoping for some good ones.

image Weird face.
image Weird nose.
image Weird beak and basic geometry (reminds me of Xatu. But at least Xatu was based of native-american murals)
image Weird face and eyes.
image I don't like basic Mewtwo. This forme of Mewtwo just takes it to a new level of weird.
A green Oshawatt. At least he's smiling and has a none-creepy face.

Wait a second... your not Kathleen!

So the first few pokemons were various regions of Japan. B/W was supposed to be America. Is X/Y supposed to be Europe? That's kinda cool.

Also, I need an Arcanine mount. Now.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Go go Pokemon GoGo!

Sorry, kinda had to.

I can just imagine all of the rideable Pokemon that Nintendo and Game Freak have made. Torterra? Arcanine? Rapidash? Onix?

I wonder if the same goes for flying animations and surfing animations. Would absolutely LOVE to surf on a Gyarados! Or an Empoleon. But mainly Gyarados. Or Kingdra. Or, really, Gyarados.

Can I ride my Gyarados? Mountable Gyarados of GTFO. If not Gyarados, then Charizard.

Either way, mounts are nothing new to Pokemon. We just called them bikes. Hell, you could even pick from different kinds of bikes later on.

The currently announced mounts are not the only mounts in Pokémon games thus far. The reporter's main draw, the fact that you can now ride Pokémon in a video game, is misleading in the fact that in certain previous titles you could do the same. In Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, you could ride Doduo, Floatzel, Empoleon, and Mantine. Technically, you could also ride Drifblim and Drifloon, but in a more linear sense, like the HM Fly. In that series next installment, Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs, you could ride the three legendary dogs: Raikou, Entei, and Suicune, as well as Latios or Latias, but Latios and Latias had a function more similar to the HM fly, as far as I can tell (I've never played Guardian Signs, but I have played Shadows of Almia).

References:
http://serebii.net/ranger3/rangersigns.shtml
http://serebii.net/ranger2/overworldfield.shtml

Am I the only one who finds this excitable-sugary kind of presenting style patronizing as hell? I feel like I being babbled to about celeb gossip in a 60 second news segment, not having something explained to me by a passionate fan.

Then again I'm English.

EDIT: To clarify, I am attacking the ladies presenting style. Not the lady.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here