Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

Watch Video

Awww, was hoping for a pre-Last Light ZP on Metro 2033. Survival horror, oppressive atmosphere, it has everything. Well, shall hold out for Last Light next week.

That was f

Da Orky Man:
Awww, was hoping for a pre-Last Light ZP on Metro 2033. Survival horror, oppressive atmosphere, it has everything. Well, shall hold out for Last Light next week.

It normally takes him 2 weeks post the game coming out to review it. One to play and one to review while he's playing another one.

OT: I'm tempted to get this, it's cheap and sounds like a lot of fun.

I defiantly agree about how anti climatic the ending was. considering the gauntlet the game was putting threw at the end I was expecting an epic final showdown with main villain.

The final boss fight that Yahtzee describes is so mind blowingly awesome that I just thinking about it the only possible improvement would be to add "boosters" *cough*jetpack*cough* to the Blood Dragons you're riding.

Blood Dragons on Gliders, yes.

"Bungle the tapir" sounds like an activity which would get me arrested.

I usually don't get games that have short length buuuuut... This does look like a lot of cheap, glowy fun.
I'll see if there's a sale on sometime for it.

Were there a lot of Jet packs in the eighties? Oh well someone will just mod them in if they haven't already.

foxlovingfreak:
I defiantly agree about how anti climatic the ending was. considering the gauntlet the game was putting threw at the end I was expecting an epic final showdown with main villain.

It does seem to... tapir off.

I was sort of expecting this to be one of those "too ironic" deals Yahtzee might hate.

I'm sort of pleasantly surprised that it tickled him.

Snack on Kyle Reese's Pieces.

Your word play never ceases to amaze me.

He does have a point though.....no jetpacks:(

Sizzle Montyjing:
I usually don't get games that have short length buuuuut... This does look like a lot of cheap, glowy fun.
I'll see if there's a sale on sometime for it.

Have you tried Child of Eden yet?

I believe the Keynote speaker at the Paintdrying convention this year is Bob Ross' cat, who watched 85 of his paintings dry.

Don't worry, Yahtzee. I'm sure they're saving the jetpack and epic boss battle for the sequel.

Yep, people liked it. It's just now we're going to see half a dozen over the top neon actions games which manage to entirely miss the whole "humour" thing. God damn it, games industry.

This is the Jekyl & Hyde Ubisoft. On one hand, they have their shitty DRM schemes and other screwy practices. On the other hand, they actually DO release stuff which would get you fired at EA or Acti even for thinking about it.

I tried the demo because it looked promising and I wanted to know what the kids are playing nowadays. But it was still an awful awful game. Presumably because Farcry3 is an awful awful game. Mechanics wise. So if you don't like the game you won't like the more modestly priced lipsticked mod either.

I know its late. But I wished Yahtzee would've said as much.

DVS BSTrD:
Were there a lot of Jet packs in the eighties? Oh well someone will just mod them in if they haven't already.

I'm pretty certain there weren't any giant neon dragon dinosaurs that fired lasers from their mouths in the eighties either!

OT: I wasn't too sure about getting this game but everyone seems to be having a lot of fun with it. It's been a while since I put down my "serious and/or thought provoking" games and just played something stupid!

I'm also in the camp that is irked when a game can't be bought as a physical copy... this will hurt me to purchase!

I rarely play triple A games anymore, the only one I played recently was Bioshock Infinite. The arcade and indie marketplace seems to where all the actual games are instead of spunk gargle wee wee. Even a big game designer can make an interesting game if it's going to arcade release and Farcry 3: Blood Dragon proves that, it being a stand-alone title was also a plus IMO. I wish more game developers would follow Blood Dragon's example because I play game to escape my life and reality, not live someone else's shitty realistic existence. Give a BFG 9000 and a giant killer robot to fight and be happy but what self-respecting game company actually listens to their customers these days!

CutThroatConcierge:
I rarely play triple A games anymore, the only one I played recently was Bioshock Infinite. The arcade and indie marketplace seems to where all the actual games are instead of spunk gargle wee wee. Even a big game designer can make an interesting game if it's going to arcade release and Farcry 3: Blood Dragon proves that, it being a stand-alone title was also a plus IMO. I wish more game developers would follow Blood Dragon's example because I play game to escape my life and reality, not live someone else's shitty realistic existence. Give a BFG 9000 and a giant killer robot to fight and be happy but what self-respecting game company actually listens to their customers these days!

I remember how one guy said Video Game Bosses are too video gamey and that we should all wallow in depression and angst

Seems fun unfortunately I'm 16 and don't have a lot of disposable income so I'm going to wait for a steam sale.

I loved the game and honestly I am pleased to see that Yahtzee shares the same idea as to how Blood Dragon got the Duke Nukem humor did more than Duke Nukem Forever. If you'd like to see the sources of some of Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon's references, you should check out Playstation Access' video regarding Blood Dragon(Spoiler warning):

As for Yahtzee's complaint on commute in Blood Dragon, I never really saw the problem since the access of maximum speed and the lack of fatigue basically made me feel like I was the Sixty Million Dollar Man, commute throughout the island was fun and it genuinely made me feel like an action hero.

Kept hearing about this one but there wasn't a physical release so I'm going to be left out of the fun. It's too bad too, I enjoy dinosaur fights. Oh well, no jetpacks will be my flimsy justification for not trying to get my consoles to connect to the internet this week.

Rachith Sridhar:
He does have a point though.....no jetpacks:(

Yeah, they didn't even leave you the wingsuit you got at the end of Far Cry 3, one of the best things in the game. No idea why they wouldn't at least let you keep that.

I'm crossing my fingers for Deadly Premonitions, personally.

That last reference missed a "Portal" joke by an inch..

We made some awesome tools, and now we wantet to use them creating a little game only apealing to us..

Proverbial Jon:

DVS BSTrD:

I'm pretty certain there weren't any giant neon dragon dinosaurs that fired lasers from their mouths in the eighties either!

No I'm pretty sure people did drop acid back then :P

Just surprised I couldn't remember any movies with... Oh wait Return of the Jedi. CURSE YOU UBISOFT!

To appear in about nine months: FC3:BD DLC featuring a jetpack and a laser-dinosaur disco-duel bossfight at the end.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

238U

RatherDull:
Snack on Kyle Reese's Pieces.

Your word play never ceases to amaze me.

I thought "Fish and Hicks" was the more clever of the two!

I want to become a member of the Paint Drying Appreciation Society, where do I sign up?

Poor bungle, I hope he finds his way home. I can relate :(

yay, Yahtzee liked it

really enjoyed this, first game ive preordered in a while. loved all the comments on the steam forum who didnt quite get it "how can 2007 be the future"
prayed to god they were trolling

it's 20 dollars?
well hell that's hard to argue with lol

Man, was this an unexpected treat, what with Blood Dragon being the sort of small release that often slips past Yahtzee's radar. Kudos to him for giving it the attention it deserves in so characteristically entertaining and informative a manner, and making me all that more excited to eventually play it.

YES! I too worry about a download-new-only model for buying games and laugh at the passive aggressive rivalry between publishers and stores. We need more games like this, that are just plain FUN and celebrate games past rather than shunning them, and wear that fact on their chests like a superhero's suit! And there's actual COLOR there too! Great review, Yahtzee!

gyrobot:

CutThroatConcierge:

I remember how one guy said Video Game Bosses are too video gamey and that we should all wallow in depression and angst

Who said that, when did he say it, and how do we get back at him?

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

Watch Video

Small thing about your intro there, Mr. Croshaw.

FC3:BD is available retail too.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or