Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Pages PREV 1 2 3

corronchilejano:

Mick P.:
No you just have low standards. It was a good idea, but still a bad game in my humble opinion.

I added the bolded part there, you know, just to be clear.

Your "bolded part" is already built into the word "bad". No offense but I assumed that's understood since this is Yahtzee's domain.

bluepotatosack:

Mick P.:

Timmaaaah:

You sir, are insane.

No you just have low standards. It was a good idea, but still a bad game.

I thought the mechanics were pretty solid. What were your problems with them?

Just a typical contemporary corporate game. About as fun as a television commercial. Tastes like a cardboard box. Which is honestly what I've come to expect from a western game from any period, but Yahtzee was favorable to Farcry3. Its definitely refreshing to see a game like Blood Dragon. Lower price tag, lower footprint. I don't doubt its a very good game by contemporary standards, but again this is discussing Yahtzee whose job it is to skewer contemporary games, so to be honest I wasn't even looking to discuss anything. I just hoped Yahtzee might read my missive.

In short the question is is this a review of DLC practices or of a game? Seems like we are agreeing that the game was already reviewed in the Farcry3 episode a while back. So I just added that disclaimer for him. That's all.

EDITED: Sorry had to break this up into two posts. The Quote system seemed to get confused. That or me.

GonzoGamer:

Sizzle Montyjing:
I usually don't get games that have short length buuuuut... This does look like a lot of cheap, glowy fun.
I'll see if there's a sale on sometime for it.

Have you tried Child of Eden yet?

I believe the Keynote speaker at the Paintdrying convention this year is Bob Ross' cat, who watched 85 of his paintings dry.

I giggled absolute fucking bricks at this post :D

Mick P.:
I tried the demo because it looked promising and I wanted to know what the kids are playing nowadays. But it was still an awful awful game. Presumably because Farcry3 is an awful awful game. Mechanics wise. So if you don't like the game you won't like the more modestly priced lipsticked mod either.

I know its late. But I wished Yahtzee would've said as much.

Yathzee wouldn't say that anything of the sort because he liked the orignal Far Cry 3.

Swifteye:

Mick P.:
I tried the demo because it looked promising and I wanted to know what the kids are playing nowadays. But it was still an awful awful game. Presumably because Farcry3 is an awful awful game. Mechanics wise. So if you don't like the game you won't like the more modestly priced lipsticked mod either.

I know its late. But I wished Yahtzee would've said as much.

Yathzee wouldn't say that anything of the sort because he liked the orignal Far Cry 3.

"So if you don't like [FarCry3 game play] you won't like the [mod] either."

Man, between this and "Manborg" I'm having some serious nostalgia for the 1986 movie "Eliminators"

Is it just me, or do recent ZP videos have the audio sync way out of time? I know the older one's are fine because I've been watching some, and put it side by side with the last few and it's clear something's off.

Anyone else get this?

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

Watch Video

"Who would have thought that a man dressed as a giant light up purple dildo would turn a few heads at the paint drying appreciation society?"

(Engage sarcasm) But yahtzee, how will we ever get people to take paint drying seriously if people keep showing up in dildo costumes? (Disengage sarcasm)

In all seriousness (Ironically), I really wish games would stop trying to suck off hollywood and get back to being, you know, GAMES!

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2014/04/far-cry-3-blood-dragon.html

I just finished the game, it's really-really good! Everyone should buy it.

In a way, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is the anti-Spec Ops: The Line. SO:TL is a video game about the horrors of war and how there's something messed up about slaughtering thousands of digital people onscreen to feel like a hero. Blood Dragon explicitly calls out this attitude as nonsense, having a brief moment where an NPC talks about how video games are fun, improve reaction time, and have no proven link to violence despite numerous studies. SO:TL is about making you feel guilty for wanting to be a hero, Blood Dragon is about having fun being the most stereotypical over-the-top action hero since Duke Nukem but without the crudity or sexism.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here