Metro: Post Apocalyptic Warfare

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So Link speaks in Erin's voice?
And there are plenty of other things to kill in Metro besides Russians.

DVS BSTrD:

Mind Blown.

OT: God, I love the idea of Young Link poking fun in this generation from time to time, I smell a recurring character...

But there's no chest high walls and not everything is brown?

awwwww toon link is such an adorable little d bag.

I gotta say I like this a lot more than when you try and be topical. Gimmie more of this, Grey!

Don't take that Erin! Smack that large headed baffoon!

Cheeky little twat.

Um... Link, you're not supposed to be talking.

thaluikhain:
But there's no chest high walls and not everything is brown?

True, I've heard there's quite a bit of red in this game to :P

And people wonder why I waited on getting the original Metro:2033 until it was discounted a good amount. It's more of a hobbling together of Doom 3 and Call of Duty, to be honest.

Diablo1099:

DVS BSTrD:

Mind Blown.

OT: God, I love the idea of Young Link poking fun in this generation from time to time, I smell a recurring character...

Its also a nice comment on people from previous generations not knowing what the fuck they are talking about when it comes to games or technology.

Gotta wonder if that was intentional or not.

canadamus_prime:

erin is too busy nerd-bating herself to realise link is a reactive silent protagonist, i guess it's the sort of schoolgirl error an insane gamer chick has to deal with ? i wouldn't know.

"and the public gets what the public wants." Interesting song choice, Grey.

DVS BSTrD:

And there are plenty of other things to kill in Metro besides Russians.

Same's true of COD, though.

canadamus_prime:

Well excuuuuuuuse me, prin...Sorry, force of habit.

I need Cory to draw me a Link poster to add to my fan art collection.

Don't worry Link, I get confused what game is what myself.

And Nazis. The game also has you shooting Nazis.

There is only so much you can do with shooters. Though to Last Lights defense at least it's Russian on Russian violence and NAZI'S!!! It's at least emulating Old Cod :)

1337mokro:
There is only so much you can do with shooters. Though to Last Lights defense at least it's Russian on Russian violence and NAZI'S!!! It's at least emulating Old Cod :)

So you wanna tell me, that the only thing you can do with FPS is "small corridor cover based shooting" combined movie like cutscenes? Seriously? Even Half-LifeČ had more to offer than that and that game is over 10 years old!

canadamus_prime:

And this is why. After Link made that comment, Erin stuffed that bowl of popcorn down that smart-@$$ throat of his, where it got lodged in his vocal cords. He couldn't make anything beyond squeaks and grunts and "Ha!"s after that.

Snarky Toon Link confirmed for best Link.

Chessrook44:

canadamus_prime:

And this is why. After Link made that comment, Erin stuffed that bowl of popcorn down that smart-@$$ throat of his, where it got lodged in his vocal cords. He couldn't make anything beyond squeaks and grunts and "Ha!"s after that.

Do you think we can get that origin story made official?

Xcell935:
Snarky Toon Link confirmed for best Link.

I second that confirmation.

OT: I ought to pick up Metro some time. Oh if only college was cheaper and food was free.

To be fair, at least Last Light wasn't charging full price for 95% recycled content and resources from the previous game in the series. And that's where the comparison breaks down.

Diablo1099:

DVS BSTrD:

Mind Blown.

:D Also, Erin has spoken, but we have never heard her voice.

Nice to see Erin get a bit of her own medicine.

Still not getting the whole FOV thing.

erttheking:

There's no FOV slider in Last Light.

Which, by the way, I think it's a completely ridiculous thing to get all pissy about. Like multiplayer, it really doesn't need to be in every shooter ever made.

Cenzton:

erttheking:

Which, by the way, I think it's a completely ridiculous thing to get all pissy about. Like multiplayer, it really doesn't need to be in every shooter ever made.

Lot of people get motion sickness when the FOV is below a certain number in an FPS. Or in a TPS, for that matter. The exact amount varies. I got a problem playing Modern Warfare 3 because of this for instance. So yeah, it does matter when the default FOV is low (60-70 ish).

nodlimax:

1337mokro:

So you wanna tell me, that the only thing you can do with FPS is "small corridor cover based shooting" combined movie like cutscenes? Seriously? Even Half-LifeČ had more to offer than that and that game is over 10 years old!

It still had small corridor cover based shooting! Did you forget the prison? Did you forget having to crawl through vents and science installations? In fact half life is a perfect comparison. You shoot in a level stage where there are multiple secret stashes and off the beaten path areas, depending on the level it is more open or closed (yes Last light does have outdoor areas), thankfully it is not gears of war because both these games trust that you are intelligent enough to hide behind walls on your own and you sometimes are stopped to listen to characters narrate in a room before the story progresses.

Half Life seems to get some kind of massive exemption here for no reason. Half Life had moments like that to, true they last a bit to long in Last Light and are seen a bit to often, but don't even pretend like you don't remember having to be scanned in HL2, where characters talk to you whilst you wait for a door to open.

Yes Shooters are limited by their nature in the ways they can work with a narrative. If you want to tell a story you need some kind of rail. Now smart story tellers will make their rail the most interesting thing in the world and draw you to it if they choose to put you in an open world or they make sure the world seems open but is always leading you to the next story.

Should Last Light have better designed the early game? Yes.
Should we pretend like these moments don't exist even in games we like? No.

The throwing knives are pretty OP in Last Light. I can't kill some enemies with a headshot in stealth because they're wearing helmets, but the knife kills them like nothing. I still love this game. It's creepy, atmospheric, and fighting humans feels relaxing compared to the other things you fight.

Dude, I know you're a figment of her and our collective insanity, but could you not chew and talk at the same time, Link?

Can I have Erin's face in the last panel on a t-shirt please?

I'm having fun with it but the FoV is a valid complaint. It feels like Artyom (sp?) has no peripheral vision for a supposed elite post-apocalyptic survivor-soldier. Semi-auto shotgun with choke is also just silly damage, even at mid-range.

OMG I'm soooooo in LOVE in that last frame. Soooo AWESOME face expressions :3

puff ball:
awwwww toon link is such an adorable little d bag.

My thoughts exactly.

We need more Young Link, especially this Sassy Young Link.
In fact, I'ma go make some SYL right now.

Also, if you try to reduce anything down to it's most basic parts, things'll look similar.
Like that one guy that pointed out that LOTR, Star Wars, and Harry Potter are all Hero's Journey and share equivalent characters.

Cenzton:

erttheking:

Yes, because one is an option that allows people to experience a game without getting headaches and/or nausea after 5 minutes that, if planned for, doesn't require all that much extra work, and the other is an entire separate game mode that requires a ton of extra assets, coding, and play testing. They're completely the same thing.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here