No Right Answer: Best Comic Book Universe Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Marvel.
DCs continuity is just too confusing, and its main heroes (especially Superman) are a tad to bland. In mayor storylines it's just no fun to see everyone fall into their pre-determined roles. The short series, and one-shots are very good, too, though.

There's also the point of "how does X treat their workers" and I must say that I'm really dissatisfied with how DC treats their creators. Marvel was one of the first to credit their writers on the covers, and only through that did DC have to do it, too. Before that, the people who made up our stories, our modern myths, were not even getting credit where credit was due.
(This goes back to the Kirby-era, and I could be wrong. I know that Kirby was one of the first writers to get credited, but since he switched between Marvel and DC a bunch of times I'm not 100% sure.)

But yeah: Marvel - more interesting heroes. The Punisher, for example. My fav.

Elfquest is great. But nowadays, what tends to be regarded as "comic" only has to do with American superheroes in capes and tights. I def. recommend it though. I have almost everything of it.

I love Image Comics. But I love even more one of their off-shot universes: Wildstorm.
It's pretty great.
Because Image Comics was founded by people previously working for Marvel. (DC was just as bad for the creators back then, they had no choice but to go rogue.)
The Wildstorm Universe has a Superman- and a Batman-pastiche. You could call it analogies or copies. Only they are more awesome, because they have the Marvel-flaws. Oh, and they're gay and a couple.
I recommend the early issues of The Authority. It is awesome.
It contains other characters, even more powerful than solar-powered, laser-eyed, flying strengthmen. Imagine an ex-junky with the power to bend reality.

ShadowHamster:

Star-lord hasn't confirmed Nova dead, and he's the only one who really could. He's also been very hush hush about what happened with Nova and him in the cancerverse, even though the question was asked directly to him recently. This means to me that this is a story thread that is set to develop further.

That doesn't mean they will bring back Rick Rider, but it does mean that there is more to Rick's story still.

good to know but ultimately unsatisfying, thanks.

damn that's difficult since I'm a fan of both universes, I mean one has Spider Man and the other has Nightwing so choosing one or the other would contradict with who I am and how I grew up :( I know they're fictional characters in fictional universes but
and sure I LOVE Superman, Power Girl, and Black Bat to death but at the same time I'll buy anything with X-23, Shadowcat, or Scarlet Spider because I care so much for them as characters and I want to see them grow and interact with the world around them, I could say Green Lantern offers a lot of space adventures that I love in comics but at the same time I get Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy which from time to time are way better than Green Lantern, and I could go on saying why I'm such a big fan of both universes but for the sake of conversation and since I have to choose one universe only I'm going to go with DC because of diversity in its stories. Marvel tends to follow one story per book that culminates in a yearly event that immediately starts the next one, so while all books are allowed to tell their own story in the end they have to answer to whatever event Marvel has planned, DC on the other hand gives freedom of story telling to each book and events are planned for when they feel right rather to a yearly hero battle; of course they have yet to give us the return of Cassandra Cain which is really annoying but I guess I can overlook that... for now!

ERMAGERD! MY OPINION IS THE RIGHT ONE! And that is... Actually, I have no idea. Both have a lot of greatness too them, both have a lot of... awkwardness to them... To quote Movie Bob: COMIC... ARE... WEIRD! And that's kind of the best part. Each one has its own flavor, each universe has its own stuff to it.

I think Marvel's is easier to dive into, personally. DC's is a little too confusing right now for a new reader to just get in and learn. Marvel went through that, too, and DC has tried to clear it up and condense it, but it doesn't... seem to be working... Give them time.

There is no real city in America that is like Gotham

The one thing that springs to mind is Detroit.

This video is sounding almost like Marvel vs Batman so far. The subject keeps slipping back to Batman!

ltmarcos:

misterprickly:
I got to be honest... DC sucks!

DC recycles waaaaaaaaaay too much!
-the Joker
-the Riddler
-the Trickster
-the Puzzler

It's the same guy!!!!

If you look at it... DC only has 2 archetypes; Superman & Batman.
Where as Marvel has 4; Thor, Captain America, Iron man & HULK.

You obviously don't know much about the DC universe if you think the Riddler and the Joker are the same guy. Names are similar but that is about it.

Also if Iron Man is an archetype because he is a regular guy in powered armor/suit with powers. You left Blue Beetle or Booster Gold off your archetype list. Also 3 of your 4 Marvel archetypes all got there powers through science. Only one was born with it.

My pick goes to DC. Have really liked there event comics like 52( amazing story I highly recommend it) Blackest Night, and not as good but still pretty good Brightest Day.

1st) It was Bob Kane who originally said that the Riddler, puzzler and trickster were watered down versions of the Joker. Since he's the guy who made them... I'm gonna go with what he said, not what YOU say.

2nd) It was Stan Lee who outlined the 4 archetypes of Marvel; So again... I'm gonna go with what he said, not what YOU say.

3rd)Blue Beetle and Booster Gold are Batman types as their regular guys with cool gadgets; just like Batman!

Tono Makt:

misterprickly:

Going to have to disagree somewhat - Spider-man needs to be the 5th archetype for Marvel, and Green Lantern needs to be a 3rd for DC. Spider-man is the kid who suddenly has superpowers, new responsibilities and has to deal with the world of adults (fighting crime) while also being a kid. (This somewhat applies to the X-Men as well; many of the X-Men started off as teenagers as their entire back story revolves around a private school.) Green Lantern is human being who is given extreme power to wield for justice, which may apply to other DC characters. (Captain Marvel?)

Spider-man is obviously a Captain America type, Green Lantern is a Superman type and many of the X-men fall between Thor, Captain America or HULK.

At one time Wonder Woman was her own type BUT as of the last 20 years she`s been labeled a Superman type.

coheedswicked:
I'm gonna have to go with Marvel, mainly for the reason that Chris pointed out about how the story arcs and events tend to flow into one another which gives the universe its own sense of history

Infinite Crisis flowed into Death of the New Gods, which flowed into Final Crisis, which flowed into Blackest Night, which flowed into Brightest Day, which flowed into Flashpoint. That's about 7 years of continuous Geoff Johns story flow through DC.

The real fun with the DC universe(s) is figuring out how things all are supposed to fit together. Otherwise, it is really convoluted, but I still prefer the larger than life characters. Some heroes believe they are cut and dry righteous gods but, like in Infinite Crisis, they see the flaws in there own ways. The villains are the ones that can either be to corky for any interest, or they have many flaws that gives them more character.

misterprickly:

Tono Makt:

misterprickly:

Going to have to disagree somewhat - Spider-man needs to be the 5th archetype for Marvel, and Green Lantern needs to be a 3rd for DC. Spider-man is the kid who suddenly has superpowers, new responsibilities and has to deal with the world of adults (fighting crime) while also being a kid. (This somewhat applies to the X-Men as well; many of the X-Men started off as teenagers as their entire back story revolves around a private school.) Green Lantern is human being who is given extreme power to wield for justice, which may apply to other DC characters. (Captain Marvel?)

Spider-man is obviously a Captain America type, Green Lantern is a Superman type and many of the X-men fall between Thor, Captain America or HULK.

At one time Wonder Woman was her own type BUT as of the last 20 years she`s been labeled a Superman type.

Spiderman a Captain America type? Can't agree there. Cap and Spidey are just too different. If you were to say Reed Richards/Fantastic Four and Cap, I'd agree. But Spidey is young (at best a Graduate student), living the life of a teenager or university student, and keeping his identity a secret. Cap is quite open with himself. Spidey had to be taught to be responsible - responsibility is the core of Steve Rogers. Etc.

Same with GL and Superman - you take away the ring from GL and he's just a dude. You can't do that with Superman in any way; the best you can do is have kryptonite take away his power, but once the kryptonite is gone he's Superman again.

Wonder Woman I'll agree with; what little I know of her backstory does make her seem to be a "goddess" type coming to save the World from itself, like Superman.

Jayemsal:

Chris Pranger:

Jayemsal:
No, I wont do your job for you.

You two are the ones who tell us what you somehow find better, then we tell you you're wrong.

Fine, fine. Which between the two would you pick? Because we just decided the opposite.

I guess I'll say DC, so that my actual favorite will be confirmed.

I didn't tell you that.

We've actually discussed it and decided that the Ducktales universe is superior to all other choices, especially your favorite.

Gizmoduck > Iron Man

So this is difficult. As a whole Marvel has more interesting characters with depth. Stark with his ego, the fan four with their family issues, spider-man with his struggle to be a normal young man AND a super hero, Bruce Banner with his fear of himself, the mutants with their struggle to integrate and be accepted into society, and much more. What does DC have? Few but the ones with character have in some cases more character then any one Marvel character. Batman is our shining (or dark whatever) example. He literally HATES crime. He sacrificed his human identity completely in order to become a masked hero. Bruce Wayne is a lie. But then you have characters like Superman or Wonder Woman... I refer to them as 'boy scout' characters. Marvel also leads with story. They have some amazing plot that arch through the entire universe. The Civil War was a powerful story that oddly enough is in some small way relatable. The story also affects every single character in the Marvel universe in very personal ways. What about DC? Well before the New 52 franchise I found the stories to almost always be either meaningless or in a bubble that never permanently affected the universe as a whole. The New 52 is a start in a right direction with characterization of villains that I've never seen before in even Marvel. Is superman a more relatable character now? No, but maybe Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Cyborg, and many others are substantially more interesting. And maybe thats the draw to DC. These characters are meant to be works of pure fiction and we will see the New Superman movie not for who Superman is as a character but for the crazy action! We like Iron Man because Tony is a dick. We liked Thor because he's a megalomaniac jerk that needs to be put in his place. But With Superman, or Wonder Woman, or Even Batman we like to see the action. We like to see the heroes hurt and brutalized as much as possible. We like to see the impossible. We like to see the Villains!!! I think that DC really does support the most interesting Villain base out of any universe. Superman (a God) versus Lex Luthor(a man). Batman(a crazy person that truly believes he is Justice) versus the Joker (a crazy person that believes the worlds atrocities are funny). Hal Jordan(A douche with a power ring that can do anything) versus Sinestro (an alien douche that also has a power ring that is equally as amazing but he knows how to use his imagination). John Constantine(a guy that sees that world underneath the world) versus demons(pure evil and all very different). The villians are sooo cool in the DC universe!! So Marvel is better then DC because of Story and its heroes. But we still read DC becuase its just fun and the villains are waaay better!

The way I end up seeing it: I prefer Marvel's one shots, but I prefer DC's graphic novels.

In general, I find the Marvel characters more engaging, their interactions more compelling. However, DC consistently wows me with the more amazing long running story arcs.

For instance, the last time my jaw truly dropped at Marvel was Age of Apocalypse, and before that, X-Cutioner's Song.

Meanwhile, DC has amazed me with Rock of Ages, Kingdom Come, Reign of the Supermen, and many of the Superman/Batman Xovers (and Bats in general).

On the other hand, Civil War was so compelling b/c we wanted to see how the dysfunction of all these characters caused such widespread chaos. Very similar conceits kept me hooked on Exiles.

Honestly, the two universes are too iconic, and can't be excluded. That's why Amalgam was so awesome, while it lasted.

I think the more interesting debate is: lamest universe reboot ever.

I liked the aftermath of Civil War resulting from Tony Stark screwing up so bad. Then the Scrulls show up (as we knew they would), and reset the universe. Additionally, there's the Ultimate universe.

Batman War Games killed half the universe, and then we get Blackest Night/Brightest Day and New 52.

Don't really know which universe reset was handled worse, and why it always seems to go down that way.

Speaking of which, DC's classic reboot is Crisis, what was Marvel's? I imagine it was the whole Onslaught/Heroes Reborn debacle, but that seems too contemporary.

Chris Pranger:

Jayemsal:

Chris Pranger:
Fine, fine. Which between the two would you pick? Because we just decided the opposite.

I guess I'll say DC, so that my actual favorite will be confirmed.

I didn't tell you that.

We've actually discussed it and decided that the Ducktales universe is superior to all other choices, especially your favorite.

Gizmoduck > Iron Man

Damn it, obviously Rescue Rangers is the best universe.

I'm kind of torn between them, primarily because of characters that i like:

Marvel has Deadpool

DC has Nightwing (I like Batman but, well, Dick Grayson is nothing if not the poster boy for "Took a level in Badass" and i think Nightwing's pretty cool).

...Think I'm gonna need to take a third option here.

Capitano Segnaposto:
Best Comics? I would say Manga. Japanese Comics.

Alright, you know what? Fuck it, i realize I'm a broken record about this but i don't give a damn: Berserk.

Great Characters, short but brutal fights, THE dark fantasy series, Brutal beyond belief, and Art evolution so great that one has to wander if Miura made a deal with the devil at some point..Not to say he started off as looking terrible or anything but, well:

The original Style-

Compared to

What it looks like now-

If you like Anime then go check it out. Don't like anime? Then you REALLY have to go check it out. If there was any faults to be said about this series it's that the author takes a LOOOOOONNNNNGGG time to get new chapters out.

My vote goes to DC. Because the marvel characters are just stuck in their layers, so to speak.
With DC there's always playroom for new incarnations and how the characters act. It's like Yathzee's 'pea loving demographic' allegory, There's no more room to play around with the hulk, the fantastic four, or even x-men. It's always the same character.

For the sake of comparison, let's take Thor and Aquaman. Have a lot in common, both royals, blonde, both use forged weapons, and both find the human world confusing and feel like they don't belong.

But where Thor has been the same rebel with a 'devil may care' attitude from issue 1, Aquaman has had several incarnations with differing personalities and looks. And that is much more interesting to me!

It's a tie for me because I feel like although Marvel comics are fun, I find it very hard to take Marvel Comics seriously because they try to be grounded in reality when they really aren't. A lot of Marvel feels very 90's Extreme to me and it's hard to get into that kind of reading. But their stories are rather fun and well written from time to time. DC on the other hand feels much more grounded in reality to me, because if we were to have superheroes in the real world, they wouldn't be normal people, you wouldn't be able to relate to them. They would be a living God and very little would stop them. Batman seems more grounded in Reality than Iron Man does, Deathstroke feels more grounded in Reality than Deadpool does (Though that's not why you read Deadpool) and Superman feels more grounded in reality than Captain America does at times. That's my take on things. I still like Marvel, the movies are good and I love reading their comics, but I feel if Super Heroes became a reality, DC would be the world we'd live in.

Firefilm:
Best Comic Book Universe Ever

This one's been on the list of lists for some time now, but we've been holding off until our 99th episode to show it. Why 99? It makes as much sense as comic continuity.

Watch Video

1:42 Ah,Xavin. So cool. 2:32 you've never read Chew,have you? 3:00 Disgustingly,yes. 3:36 Just look at The Runaways. I REALLY liked how well they were done. Allthough,I REALLY didn't want them involved with frikkin' Civil War (I have....issues with that event. It's not very well liked by yours truly.) 4:36 Which was better pulled off in Marvel Ultimate Aliance 2! 5:00 (Insert rim shot here) 6:02 How do I get into Green Arrow,Dangit?! How? 6:20 Kinda why I stick to either Image,BOOM! or manga. 7:00 You're nowhere close! XD I say Image for A. Gladstone's School For World Conquerers,Chew(The adventures of a cibopathic (Look it up) detective in the FDA,in a world where the Bird Flu was actually happened to devasting effect), Think Tank,(Warning: This comic is not only has a good story and characters,but it also might make you smarter. It says the following on every issue: "Warning: Reading this comic will make you smarter) and of course,Five Weapons. That's not even mentioning the Shonen Jump (or Viz Media) verse.

"I understand earth!"

This is the kind of idiocy that forced most formerly cosmic comics through ten years of shit.

Of the main two, DC by far. Mainly because of the depth the Vertigo line brings to the universe, and because DC has had many more storylines that I've enjoyed. Marvel seems to be rehashing the same (fun) plots and character arcs over and over, whereas DC plotlines have had more organic evolution and capacity for change.

Sandman, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, 52, Morrison's Batman (and most other Batman to be honest), Books of Magic...

Marvel all the way.

Tono Makt:

misterprickly:

Tono Makt:

Spiderman a Captain America type? Can't agree there. Cap and Spidey are just too different. If you were to say Reed Richards/Fantastic Four and Cap, I'd agree. But Spidey is young (at best a Graduate student), living the life of a teenager or university student, and keeping his identity a secret. Cap is quite open with himself. Spidey had to be taught to be responsible - responsibility is the core of Steve Rogers. Etc.

Same with GL and Superman - you take away the ring from GL and he's just a dude. You can't do that with Superman in any way; the best you can do is have kryptonite take away his power, but once the kryptonite is gone he's Superman again.

Wonder Woman I'll agree with; what little I know of her backstory does make her seem to be a "goddess" type coming to save the World from itself, like Superman.

1) Backstory doesn't matter... Peter Parker BECAME Spider-man therefore he's a Captain America type. Reed Richards (on the other hand) is an Ironman type. RR was ALREADY a positive influence before gaining his new "gift"; just like Tony Stark. Look at Storm; She's pretty much a female Thor and Wolverine... Paint his ass green and put him in purple pants!

2)Throw some blue kryptonite (or red sun energy) his way and Superman's an average Joe.
DC has a very lateral way of thinking... Either you have powers or you don't.
It doesn't matter HOW you got "the power", magic words, special ring or yellow sun; it's all the same to them.

misterprickly:

Tono Makt:

misterprickly:

1) Backstory doesn't matter... Peter Parker BECAME Spider-man therefore he's a Captain America type. Reed Richards (on the other hand) is an Ironman type. RR was ALREADY a positive influence before gaining his new "gift"; just like Tony Stark. Look at Storm; She's pretty much a female Thor and Wolverine... Paint his ass green and put him in purple pants!

2)Throw some blue kryptonite (or red sun energy) his way and Superman's an average Joe.
DC has a very lateral way of thinking... Either you have powers or you don't.
It doesn't matter HOW you got "the power", magic words, special ring or yellow sun; it's all the same to them.

Can't agree with either of those two points. Backstory is critical to this, for one; how they gained their powers is extremely important. There is too much difference between how Cap became Cap and how Peter Parker became Spiderman for them to be in the same category. And Sue Storm as a Thor/Wolverine? That's so far out of left field as to be mind boggling - what on earth is making you put Sue Storm with Thor and Wolverine?

As for DC and Superpowers/No Superpowers, it's not that simple either. I'll go back to Green Lantern again - he has superpowers that come from an external source. Take it away, he's a human being again. He's a human being first, super powered being second. Wonder Woman and Superman are Super Powered beings first, human beings second. There are something like what, 5 human Green Lanterns? Why? Because the power can be transferred to another person. Superman can't do that - you can "clone" him, you can do other insane things to him to make more supermen, but in the end the power isn't being passed on. It's a fundamental difference between GL and Superman that creates the need for an additional category for DC.

Either Archie or Calvin & Hobbes. Actually, that's another great No Right Answer. No need to thank me, just give me money.

misterprickly:
1st) It was Bob Kane who originally said that the Riddler, puzzler and trickster were watered down versions of the Joker. Since he's the guy who made them... I'm gonna go with what he said, not what YOU say.

Then you'd be wrong: None of those characters were made by Bob Kane, including the Joker. The inception for the Joker came from Jerry Robinson, not from Bob Kane (as many people would believe). Bob Kane was the first person to write about the Joker, he didn't however invent him.

An he wasn't involved at all with the following characters

Trickster: John Broome & Carmine Infantino
Riddler: Bill Finger & Dick Sprang
Puzzler: Jerry Siegel & John Sikela

misterprickly:
2nd) It was Stan Lee who outlined the 4 archetypes of Marvel; So again... I'm gonna go with what he said, not what YOU say.

I don't know what you think you mean by this statement... If you mean that Stan invented the 4 original intellectual properties of Marvel, he most certainly did, but he did it with other writers (many of whom do not get the credit they deserve). He was not working in isolation, as some kind of comic character Di Vinci, as many believe.

An he was most certainly influenced by the comics National & others had been putting out.

misterprickly:
3rd)Blue Beetle and Booster Gold are Batman types as their regular guys with cool gadgets; just like Batman!

No actually they aren't. Blue Beetle was originally a character invented for a series of Radio Plays by Fox Feature Syndicate and Holyoke Publishing. The rights were then transferred to Charlton comics & eventually to Americomics & then DC comics.

The version that people were first really aware of in the DC universe was the Ted Kord version. This version is also not in any way Batman related. He is a regalr person who builds cool gadgets & uses them to fight crime. He possess none of the qualities or MO that make Batman Batman.

misterprickly:

Thoise aren't archetypes, nor do writers write archtypes, they write characters.

Wonder Woman is... strange... she was essentially fetish fuel for Marstons own sexual kink. These days her original character is considered by many to be a walking advertisment for cluster B personality disorders.

As for which universe is better, at the moment i'd have to say neither of them. DC dropped the ball & really fucked up with the NU52 reboot. They decided to drop all the things that made the DC brand DC, such as legacy, an having a universe capable of supporting super heroes & instead make everything kinda shitty... Though the word they use to describe this shittyness has been "edgy", but i assure you its the same meaning.

An Marvel also dropped the ball, but they've done it progressively, over the period of about 9 years, so you didn't notice until it was to late. Marvel decided that since they could make more money on Events, then on actual books, they would make events 24/7, 365 days of the year. Marvel is either advertising a new event, doing the "prologue" issues to the event, are in the event, or are doing the clean up from the event & has already started to pimp out there next event book.

Unfortunately for Marvel, actual stand alone books have suffered, as more and more books are purchased by less and less people. The obvious result being that Marvel essentially dumbed down there entire publishing line to a book in one of 4 franchises, or a derivatie property thereof: Spiderman, X-Man, Avengers & F4... Mainly as movie tie in properties.

So to answer the question of what Comic Book Universe is best... I'd have to say, "mine is." Oh sure its only a roleplaying universe of my own divising: It takes all the best aspects from Marvel & DC, while ditching all the bad ones. But you can be sure, i'm never going to reboot it to make an edgier version of it & if my quality starts to drop i have some players who will smack me upside the head.

matthew_lane:

misterprickly:

Then you'd be wrong: None of those characters were made by Bob Kane, including the Joker. The inception for the Joker came from Jerry Robinson, not from Bob Kane (as many people would believe). Bob Kane was the first person to write about the Joker, he didn't however invent him.

An he wasn't involved at all with the following characters

Trickster: John Broome & Carmine Infantino
Riddler: Bill Finger & Dick Sprang
Puzzler: Jerry Siegel & John Sikela

misterprickly:

I don't know what you think you mean by this statement... If you mean that Stan invented the 4 original intellectual properties of Marvel, he most certainly did, but he did it with other writers (many of whom do not get the credit they deserve). He was not working in isolation, as some kind of comic character Di Vinci, as many believe.

An he was most certainly influenced by the comics National & others had been putting out.

misterprickly:

No actually they aren't. Blue Beetle was originally a character invented for a series of Radio Plays by Fox Feature Syndicate and Holyoke Publishing. The rights were then transferred to Charlton comics & eventually to Americomics & then DC comics.

The version that people were first really aware of in the DC universe was the Ted Kord version. This version is also not in any way Batman related. He is a regalr person who builds cool gadgets & uses them to fight crime. He possess none of the qualities or MO that make Batman Batman.

misterprickly:

Thoise aren't archetypes, nor do writers write archtypes, they write characters.

Wonder Woman is... strange... she was essentially fetish fuel for Marstons own sexual kink. These days her original character is considered by many to be a walking advertisment for cluster B personality disorders.

1) Ok I was wrong about Bob Kane making those characters BUT that is what he said in an interview just before his death (it may have been for "Shelf Space" but don't quote he on that). The interview was about the lack of imagination in mainstream comics and the overuse of recycling.

2) Archetypes are NOT IPs. Think of those magazine questioners that ask "are you a summer or a winter?".
It's just like a questioner... Is THIS character a Captain America, Thor, Ironman or HULK?

3) Blue Beetle is a regular guy who dons a costume and through the use of gadgets and gizmos, wages a one man war on crime... Yeah, he's nothing like Batman.

4) Writers don't write archetypes?! Actually they do and they use them to develop the character that we see today.

The earliest stories became the spawning ground for all the stories that would come after them.
Kinda like how people say that Hollywood has run out of ideas 'cause of all the remakes and reboots.

misterprickly:
1) Ok I was wrong about Bob Kane making those characters BUT that is what he said in an interview just before his death (it may have been for "Shelf Space" but don't quote he on that). The interview was about the lack of imagination in mainstream comics and the overuse of recycling.

so essentially you cheery picked someone agreeing with you, without checking your source? ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SOURCE.

misterprickly:
2) Archetypes are NOT IPs. Think of those magazine questioners that ask "are you a summer or a winter?". It's just like a questioner... Is THIS character a Captain America, Thor, Ironman or HULK?

I'm sorry, but thats still nonsense. You can dumb down any character to something small & silly, but thats not what the character is.

misterprickly:
3) Blue Beetle is a regular guy who dons a costume and through the use of gadgets and gizmos, wages a one man war on crime... Yeah, he's nothing like Batman.

No, nothing like Batman. See this is what happens when you dumb down a nuanced character into something utterly retarded (an yes i'm using the word in its technical sense). I can make Superman & Obama into the same character if i dumb both down to "truth, justice & the american way;" but Obama didn't suddenly become the last son of Krypton.

misterprickly:
4) Writers don't write archetypes?! Actually they do and they use them to develop the character that we see today.

No they don't. They write characters and the those characters can be attributed with having archtypes, roles, tropes, literary devices & anything else people use to descbribe characters, but they are not themselves archtypes, roles, tropes & literary devices.

In exactly the same fashion that you may have a spleen, but you are yourself NOT a spleen.

misterprickly:

The earliest stories became the spawning ground for all the stories that would come after them.
Kinda like how people say that Hollywood has run out of ideas 'cause of all the remakes and reboots.

Thats not why Hollywood has gone back to remakes & reboots? They have done it because they are lazy & are cashing in on sure things rather then making something new.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here