Escapist News Now: EA Says No More Online Passes

EA Says No More Online Passes

Speaking to Venture Beat, EA Senior Director of Corporate Communications, John Reseburg said, "We're discontinuing Online Pass. None of our new EA titles will include that feature."

Watch Video

So if they get rid of Always on DRM too then EA might not look the devil anymore :P

The funny thing is i bet the majority of people are waiting for the caveat to this news. As in we are so cynical now, we cant expect EA to do something good without it being twisted into something bad XD

I really don't think that the "worst company in america" title lead to the end of online passes.

I miss the LRR crew's news show. This is a pretty weak and cheap substitute. It reeks of spike TV influenced production.

They're probably replacing Online Passes with the SimCity constant online thing. I mean with that, Online passes have basically been made redundant for their war on piracy.

I don't care for online passes because I don't care about online. Like, at all.

Online passes only exist because games care about online. In fact, apparently customers care about online so much that pretty much every game has to have competitive multiplayer.

Which takes me to the point that EA can go fuck itself until they get rid of Origin requirement for single-player games.

Of course, since they probably won't ever release anything I care about (after canceling EA Partners), I don't care about that either.

Issue13:
I really don't think that the "worst company in america" title lead to the end of online passes.

I miss the LRR crew's news show. This is a pretty weak and cheap substitute. It reeks of spike TV influenced production.

Good news! The LRR crew still does Checkpoint, it just moved over to Penny Arcade!

Link:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/checkpoint

Usually I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth, but something is off about THIS horse...

I see more micro-transactions and shitty DLC from EA.

A new boss at EA seems to have heralded a change to business practice. I'm sceptical about EA but I don't think it is too late for them to return to the light side.

Corporate double-talk. Wait a week or a month and we'll hear about how all their new "social" features will improve gameplay for all future, always-on, releases.

Hmm... what could this mean?

Do you think, maybe, that EA wants to get people to actually LIKE them? This shocks me.

First they buy the rights to Star Wars games for a jillion dollars, then this. I'd almost call this an EFFORT to do just that. The fact that they thought this deserved its own announcement shows that they still don't get it.

Sorry EA, but you'll have to quit shoving Origin down my throat before you see a dime from me, that's just how it is.

I won't lie, if this is what Riccitiello being gone means then I'm really happy.
Also, her Goldeneye shirt was awesome :P

Josh12345:
They're probably replacing Online Passes with the SimCity constant online thing. I mean with that, Online passes have basically been made redundant for their war on piracy.

This. Especially with the rumours about the next generation of console and their 'social' aspects, EA is probably just coming up with a new strategy to keep some form of control in place.

On the other hand, I'm glad it's gone (at least short term) and I really hope it means EA is listening to customer feedback. Keep at it, and we'll believe they have a heart yet.

(Also, at 0:43, did she say '[EA] has been lauded for their shady business practises...'? I thought 'lauded' was a term that meant praise.)

Good news is good news. It's not enough to suddenly make me believe EA is awesome, but between them cutting ties with gun manufacturers and making the sims 4 learn from simcity's mistakes I think I'm starting to warm up to them again.

This is good. It's a step to recover their image. This means they understand what we hate about them and are acting on it. Couldn't ask for a better outcome but we'll have to see if they apply it to other areas too.

I think this is good news. Hopefully this isn't going to lead to them doing more microtransactions and dlc that is cut out of the game.

"Who needs online passes? we have ALWAYS ONLINE 'Service'(cough* DRM)!" EA...

The Online-Pass just became obsolete with the ability of the new consoles to just outright ban used games from playing through Always-on and Accountbinding.

FOKYES I can finally play FIFA again!

MrGalactus:
FOKYES I can finally play FIFA again!

Well only if it's the latest edition. Even then, you only have a year or so before they shut-off the servers.

OT: Doesn't anybody think it's strange that EA is doing this right before the new consoles come out? Really, you need to wonder what new system EA thought was so good that they dropped project $10.
Not that I can even play EA games anyway, since they held them all hostage on Origin but I'm really not too excited to see what's coming next.

Why do I get the feeling EA has managed to come up with something even worse to replace online passes.

you'll still be required to sign up to origin to access most games which is what?

"Too little, too late". I bought every copy of Maxis's franchises from Sim Ant to Sim City 4. I wouldn't touch the new Sim City if it was given to me for free because it's by EA BECAUSE IT'S ("EA: Ruins Everything").

The EA machine has finally calculated that maximizing profits will require doing something to please fans, aren't we fortunate.

lol just reading through the posts before me.... there is so much bitterness about EA!
Not that is isn't COMPLETELY DESERVED... but it's just funny to me to see how widespread it is.
Myself included.

It makes me a little happier to see this dying... what with the change in leadership they just had... it might mean that better things will come from him.

Or it is the harbinger of worse things to come... like the aforementioned always-on "service"...
500x bitten and all that...

A step in the right direction. If they swear off microtransactions in non-F2P games I might consider buying something with their name on it in the future.

I'd gripe on about DLC but the sheep have spoken in their demand to be fleeced, so that demon is probably here to stay as part of the new industry standard.

'Bout fuckin time.

About time, but its too little too late. You put this shit in place for over 3 years, then only get rid of it at the end of the console generation?

That TOTALLY doesn't hint at something just as bad, if not worse, being put in place by EA to keep gouging everyone.

I didn't like online passes so I am glad it's gone now. For the people complaining about micro transactions, I think you are just being silly. EA deserves to make money. As long as the MT's don't debilitate the game if you choose not to partake, then I don't see one atom of a problem.

DTWolfwood:
So if they get rid of Always on DRM too then EA might not look the devil anymore :P

The funny thing is i bet the majority of people are waiting for the caveat to this news. As in we are so cynical now, we cant expect EA to do something good without it being twisted into something bad XD

I didn't have to wait for a caveat. As others have pointed out in this thread, EA pre-emptively followed the good with the bad with the following:
- Pervasive DLC in places where it is not appropriate
- Far too much DLC in general (Also microtransactions)
- Systematic homogenization of gameplay
- Sundry shady business practices (Idiotic acquisitions, ballooning development budgets, etc.)

It is also worth nothing that the announcement said very little about other aspects of Project Ten Dollar aside from online passes, so there is a reasonable chance they will continue using other forms of on-disc DLC to discourage buying used.

And of course this announcement does very little for PC gamers. If you intend to play an EA game on your PC, then on top of the aforementioned issues you get to look forward to:
- Origin's psychotic EULA agreement
- Being charged full retail price for a digitally distributed title
- Always-online DRM

So basically what I am saying is, I won't be stopping my full boycott of EA titles (17 months and counting) any time soon.

I agree No more Online Passes is a turn in the right direction, but it is too little too late for EA.
Things such as the always online DRM, maximum number of installs for retail items (5 for C&C Red Alert 3), downloads being the same price as Retail, Origin's draconian Policies, Oh being labeled as the worst company two years running by Consumer Reports and Forbes, a Shitty CEO do does not get the industry he even works in, As his last job was running MS Fields (as in Ms Fields cookies).

They ruin perfectly good gaming studios such as Maxis, Westwood, DreamWorks Interactive, Origin Systems and Kingsoft GmbH.

They Monopolize NFL games, cheat College players in NCAA titles (by using the players likeness without permission and getting the NCAA to enforce a backwards policy if the student tries to sue he is expelled from school)

I Hope EA burns to the ground.

Issue13:

The ENN (LLR news show) wasn't actual news, the episodes were satirizations of news.

But for my two cents on the issue, I didn't have a problem with the online pass model. It made sure that the devs actually got some money if the game was bought used, AND it helps keep servers up and running.

Revolutionary:
Why do I get the feeling EA has managed to come up with something even worse to replace online passes.

That's what I'm wondering. Traditionally big publishers don't stuff like this without having something even more stupid to replace it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here