The Last of Us Hands-on Preview

Pages PREV 1 2

An action-horror, post-apocalyptic survival game with Naughty Dog production values.

Take all of my money.

Here is a check with my name on it, write down any number on this piece of paper and I will pay it.

(In all seriousness, I've been waiting for this game for about a year now.. and forgot about it until just now. Feel like I just stepped out of my time capsule in anticipation.)

I really want to see Naughty Dog go back to games like Crash Bandicoot or Jak and Daxter.

I want fun! not gritty realism!

All that being said, this looks like "good" gritty realism... But then what doesn't look good now days.

Sigh...

I'm still going to play it out of a warped since of loyalty to what Naughty used to be, back before Uncharted.

But instead of going back to what they did well they're going deeper into the dark and violent stuff.
Sigh...

I still want Jak 4

AJey:

fat american:

AJey:
Great... another good game had to be dumbed down for a console.

You realize this is only for the PS3 right? It's been pretty much beat to a pulp in this thread as to why too, so I won't explain it here.

Back on topic. I'm really excited for this game, but your issues with the controls have me worried. I know the controls in Uncharted 3 got very frustrating at times and I really hope that the extra month they get from the delay is spent tightening them up a bit. Because when it comes to something like this, that is trying to immerse you in the world as much as possible, controlling like an elephant on roller skates can really bring you out of the experience. Oh well, still definitely picking this up on day one.

My problem is not with the console, but with the choice to put it on the console. A PC control scheme would benefit this game immensely. Unfortunately, it is not being developed to be good (it might be good, but that's incidental), it is being developed to be soled.

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous thing to say. The idea that the priority here isn't quality but rather sell ability is insulting to the developers, especially everything they've done for this game that goes against current marketing trends. (Like insisting on having Ellie on the cover, having female focus testers, etc.)

Susan Arendt:

AJey:

fat american:

You realize this is only for the PS3 right? It's been pretty much beat to a pulp in this thread as to why too, so I won't explain it here.

Back on topic. I'm really excited for this game, but your issues with the controls have me worried. I know the controls in Uncharted 3 got very frustrating at times and I really hope that the extra month they get from the delay is spent tightening them up a bit. Because when it comes to something like this, that is trying to immerse you in the world as much as possible, controlling like an elephant on roller skates can really bring you out of the experience. Oh well, still definitely picking this up on day one.

My problem is not with the console, but with the choice to put it on the console. A PC control scheme would benefit this game immensely. Unfortunately, it is not being developed to be good (it might be good, but that's incidental), it is being developed to be soled.

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous thing to say. The idea that the priority here isn't quality but rather sell ability is insulting to the developers, especially everything they've done for this game that goes against current marketing trends. (Like insisting on having Ellie on the cover, having female focus testers, etc.)

You know what, you are right. I was too categorical in my response. See, I grew cynical and jaded following my beloved medium. It's like I expect an evil intent behind the facade. But in this case my anger was misplaced.

As for the game, every time I see a console-oriented trailer, one of my first reactions is how better or worse this same exact game would have been on a PC (I'm not a PC gaming overlord by the way :D). The first thing I notice are controls - aiming, UI navigation, real-time events etc. The way I see it, a certain percentage of gaming future lays in making control-scheme more engaging and immersive, not just one-button mashing contest we are used to. Sadly, this concept is unattainable with a controller, whether it be Xbox or PS. Watching this preview I saw the same exact decreased accuracy, single button real-time events and less than convenient UI navigation. I cant help but wonder if these problems would have been avoided on a PC.

I'm actually impressed by this, now excuse me while I go pre-order and have fun playing this once it comes out.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here