Escape to the Movies: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Yeah...that whole "mysterious advertising" scheme was the first big red flag that Into Darkness wasn't going to be all that interesting.

There's establishing a mystery as incentive to go see the film while giving the audience enough to keep it interesting (The Prestige springs to mind), and there's being so vague that we don't have a clue what's going on unless we see the film.

As to whether Bob liked it or not, I really don't care. My guess about the big reveal was, unfortunately, correct and it was the very thing I hoped that Abrams wouldn't attempt, because I damn well know he cannot do it.

And because I have to get this off my chest...
If a film has to rely on blunt nostalgic references to carry it (just as Abram's first Star Trek) it's a bad movie.
It's bad because it has no identity of its own. And what else is there between the bland performances and iPod look of everything to appeal to the younger "hip" crowd?

In fact, that's the same fundamental problem with the Seltzerberg films; it's not just the stupid crude half-jokes, it's that references on their own are meaningless (which is part of why I'm not all that fond of Internet Memes. Most people use them because they lack the wit or the guff to speak for themselves, so they just regurgitate something vaguely-related that is/was popular to fit in.)
At least Abrams avoids being overtly offensive, unlike Seltzerberg.

Expect Abrams to do the same to Star Wars, because it's just chalk full of potential references.
Though at this point the franchise pretty much has nothing to lose anyway.

Smilomaniac:
Here's what I don't get, but what someone might explain to me:
What was it that was appealing about the first reboot Star Trek movie, that people liked and thought was good?

As a trekkie I personally loathed it, but I've heard one guy say that it was about friendship, like TOS relationship between Spock and Kirk, which I think is a good point.
Other than that though, what do people see in J. J. Abrams' work?

For me, Star Trek has always been about our role in the future. I liked Enterprise because it was for a while, a bit more believable and had some interesting problems and challenges(although most of it was fairly shit, there were things to think about).
I don't get any such sort of vibe from the new reboot. It seems like a shitload of references and action scenes, led by mostly uninteresting actors who have no class, no style and no unique aspects to them.
The original Kirk, Picard, Sisko and even Janeway and Archer all had quirks, flaws, personal style and class to them. You could actually imagine having them as a superior officer or even as a captain. For those who've served or been in shipping, you know what I mean. It takes a strong, capable and charismatic person to be a good captain and you feel that you can put your faith in them almost immediately.

Chris Pine seems to have none of those qualities.

In one sense i totally agree with you, the new reboot is a lot more style than substance... A lot of what made trek is missing especially in 'into darkness'. Sulu, Bones and Chekov were pure and simple 'also rans' in the latest movie i feel and im not liking Spork and Uhura's relationship. Doesn't make sense to me.

On the other hand... i strongly agree with the franchise fatigue argument. Rick Bermann and Brannon Braga had became a serious noose around the neck of Star Trek with their first two series of Enterprise. They ignored historical Cannon, and keep too much of the creative control within themselves.

The last two series of Enterprise were great, and i felt Archer especially came into being beautifully as an embittered and weary explorer towards the end of it... but that was because Enterprise had to compete with Ronald D Moore's BSG and Enterprise brought on good writers who had a serious love for star trek , (The way they tied the 4th series back into Cannon i thought was superb)

Compare the last two series to the final episode of Enterprise that Berman and Braga wrote, and you'll see what i mean regarding franchise fatigue. They were killing Star Trek slowly and painfully.

Add to the fact that the politics of the Star Trek Universe hadn't advanced since the last episode of DS9 and you can see why i felt the series was stagnating a little.

JJ Abrams movie gave the franchise a much needed kick up the arse i felt, and i thought the destruction of vulcan was gutsy as hell, it was flashy and kirk was a bit too pretty boy (not to mention young) but i was prepared to give it a chance.

I want the ending spoiled for me since I wont watch this.

Also... what's with the darker bigger enterprise? Someone quote me with spoiler tags and inform me.

Meh, I'll go by the general concensus on Rotten Tomatoes rather than this one review. As someone who hasn't seen anything Star Trek related other than the previous JJ Abrahms one (which I thoroughly enjoyed), I'll be seeing this sometime soon.

chiefohara:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Mason Luxenberg:

Way to be randomly anti-semitic, jackass!

Ya well, if Shakespeare and South Park can do it then so can I. Historical stereotyping is great.

Shakespeare did it to highlight the stupidity of mindless prejudice, the same way south park largely does.

Im guessing you were trying to do something similar with the narrowmindedness of fanboyism here, but it was too much of a reach... instead of highlighting and reinforcing the point you just came across as anti-semitic.

Well I didn't attack Arabs, Phonecians, Akkadians or Ethiopians so I don't see how. Unless you think that if I attack Australians I am attacking everyone speaking a West-Germanic language. Disliking banana milkshakes doesn't mean I dislike milkshakes altogether. But wait a minute, I wasn't attacking anyone anyway so...

Im in agreement with Bob on this one.

A predictable Action movie in Star Trek Clothing. The Echoing of the Wrath of Kahn movie kinda killed all the suspense and tension for me.

I also thought Peter Weller was criminally wasted here. A militant Star Fleet Admiral like that spoiling for war with the Klingons should have been kept to ratchet tension up for future films.

I figured out the twist about 20 minutes into the movie.

I did not like the references to Star Trek 2 the Wrath of Kahn. All of them took me out of the movie very fast.

Still, I like some of the little moments. Karl Urban's speech about the Gorn and giving birth to 8 babies made me want to see that scene more than what's on this movie.

Chessrook44:
Or they could just have Luke fight and kill one of Palpatine's many clones. Yes he actually had clones in the lore. Several of them.

Not any more.

Lucas has stated publicly that he hates the EU. And guess what, he's a creative consultant for the new Star Wars movies!

Expect absolutely none of the EU's canon to be respected. Not even the good stuff.

Blood Brain Barrier:

chiefohara:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Ya well, if Shakespeare and South Park can do it then so can I. Historical stereotyping is great.

Shakespeare did it to highlight the stupidity of mindless prejudice, the same way south park largely does.

Im guessing you were trying to do something similar with the narrowmindedness of fanboyism here, but it was too much of a reach... instead of highlighting and reinforcing the point you just came across as anti-semitic.

Well I didn't attack Arabs, Phonecians, Akkadians or Ethiopians so I don't see how. Unless you think that if I attack Australians I am attacking everyone speaking a West-Germanic language. But wait a minute, I wasn't attacking anyone anyway so...

I know you weren't attacking anyone. Thats why i wrote what i wrote.

chiefohara:

Blood Brain Barrier:

chiefohara:

Well I didn't attack Arabs, Phonecians, Akkadians or Ethiopians so I don't see how. Unless you think that if I attack Australians I am attacking everyone speaking a West-Germanic language. But wait a minute, I wasn't attacking anyone anyway so...

Well next time just write "anti-jewish". Anti-semitic isn't the same thing.

Blood Brain Barrier:

chiefohara:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Well next time just write "anti-jewish". Anti-semitic isn't the same thing.

Next time be clearer about the point you are trying to make so i don't have to.

Jesse Billingsley:
Going to see it tonight. Hope its better than Iron Man 3....

It is.

And I say this having really enjoyed the hell out of Iron Man 3 despite its flaws.

you're not wrong but...ok, I'm not a huge trekkie, but I enjoyed the film. Its not a great piece of art but its a fun action movie. It could have been more, but I like what it is. No, it does not hold up (story wise) to the original Khan, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

Its worth noting that Movie bob has never liked a JJ Abrams film. Seeing as he is only human I am sure he entered predisposed to dislike this film.

I quite liked it to be honest. I wanted to go and see a film to relax with after work and thats what I got. Plus.....Cumberbatch, CUMBERBATCH!

What else do I need to say

honeybakedham:

Jesse Billingsley:
Going to see it tonight. Hope its better than Iron Man 3....

It is.

And I say this having really enjoyed the hell out of Iron Man 3 despite its flaws.

I went in expecting to get a darker Iron Man, where Tony would face challenges that would not only test Iron Man, but himself. Instead, we get CSI: Tennessee edited by John Woo, and directed by Michael Bay. It just wasn't good....For me at least

So, you... didn't like it, then?

I liked the movie, generally, and the cast and soundtrack especially, so I was a little more forgiving of the story, but having said that, Orci and Kurtzman seem to write some of the better openings of most Hollywood screenwriters, and the most anti-climactic letdown endings (see also: MI3, Trek 09, and Transformers if you only count the opening narration as the opening).

The part I didn't particularly like were the ridiculous plot devices. Without spoiling too much, there will be a scene where human blood is injected into a Tribble. I don't think you can even conduct medical experiments transferring blood across species, but McCoy apparently is fine doing it ACROSS STELLAR ECOSYSTEMS. And for those of you who haven't seen the film yet, when you see this take place in the context of the film, you know exactly what will happen in the film and exactly how it will be resolved, which sucks all of the weight and emotion out of one of the few genuine character scenes in the film.

Sounds like typical Abrams, a pretty slightly interesting package with little to no (or outright bad) substance. I really wish this movie would tank so he might be pulled from Star Wars, but I know that is too much to ask.

Draconalis:
I want the ending spoiled for me since I wont watch this.

Also... what's with the darker bigger enterprise? Someone quote me with spoiler tags and inform me.

I won't even need to do that, assuming you saw Star Trek: Nemesis. If you know the general feel of that movie, and you are aware of the tendency of this movie to feature plot twists and military cloak-and-dagger stuff, you can probably guess exactly what the ship is and how it ends up being used.

It's as Bob said, the writers try to get Shamayalan-like with the big twists, but in a post-Sixth-Sense world, people look for this stuff (especially when the presentation is much less subtle than Sixth Sense), and once you see the pieces laid on the table in the first act, you know exactly how the next two acts will unfold.

And this is why I wasn't planning on seeing it from the beginning. Abrams is an idiot who doesn't know the first thing about writing a good story. I mean, did we all forget that his movies have been a succession of hype building up to some kind of "big secret" that was ultimately stupid, lacking any semblance of cleverness and brain-burstingly disappointing?

ascorbius:
Spoiler filled? Why?

This means that I can't watch this review.
The general consensus seems to be that it's good, I'll have to go by that - as I don't want a review spoiling the movie.

Really? Not what I've been hearing...

I know MovieBob has a problem with Abrams and his direction. I personally like it because non-Star Trek fans tend to get into the movie, and as a fan of the original series, I personally liked the reboots. Even the semi-forced kid!Kirk and car scene in the first one. Not because it was just mindless (it was, but it was well-shot and decent) but because it did help set up this new universe. I liked it enough to follow the comic tie-ins, and those do basic re-treads of the old show, and a lot of it is good because you have to take the new dynamics into consideration.
Also, as a writer (non-professional but still), I will say that there is nothing new under the sun. I didn't watch the spoilers but I can guess...and I honestly don't care. I could just say 'because Cumberbatch', but also because I really don't. There are only so many "twists" you can do, even for Star Trek. I'm not worried about Abram's work with Star Wars either - he's so far done ok with Star Trek and if he leaves the next movies to others, that'll be fine. He has good ideas, and sometimes it takes a moment for those to work. He did his best to keep things a secret, it's just harder to do without giving out a false script and trailers.
I like your reviews, I do Bob...but sometimes letting you see a Abrams movie is like letting me review a rom-com. It usually starts with 'yeah, doesn't sound good' and ends with 'waste of my money'. If there is ever an exception, I congratulate you. Until then? I'm going to be in my AOS camp with my younger McCoy.

Azaraxzealot:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_into_darkness/

87% of professional critics and 89% of people who saw the movie thought it was good.

Can you hear the butthurt?

I love the old star trek, i loved TNG, i loved the reboot, and I'm sure I'm gonna love this. Everything he says in this review is just REALLY subjective (like saying something is dumb, you can not objectively say a movie "works" or "doesn't work"). Just remember, this is the same guy who told us to watch a Twilight movie and Sucker Punch (and also genuinely believes that Halo: Reach was just "Halo 3 with jetpacks" and that the humans were the bad ones and protects the hypothesis whenever arguments against Nintendo come up)

Yeh, I don't really get what people's problem is (read: there isn't one but hey, Bob is doing it, so it must be right!) here. Who cares if it's not really like "old" Trek, I'd take this film and it's predecessor over another viewing of The Voyage Home or Nemesis any time.

To cut a long story short, people will whine about these films until they're blue in the face but in the end it's their loss for not being able to enjoy them. And if that means they won't be able to enjoy the new Star Wars film either then so be it. At least the rest of us will get on okay.

As someone who loathed the first film, I'm pretty glad this one bombed. This 'reboot' needs to reburied so we can move onto more and better stuff.

Not particularly relevenat I guess, but wednesday night I had the chance to go outa nd see the midnight release (without really even realizing), and instead went out to see pain and gain.

... and from the sound of it, I think pain and gain was the more enjoyable of the options. cause it was actually really good.

Ashoten:
Now I am really worried about the upcoming Star Wars movies. Why couldn't it have been Peter Jackson?

What, after the abortion that was the Hobbit?

I don't know, every time I watch Bob I can't help but find him more wrong- having already seen Into Darkness I was intrigued to see what he made of it. It would seem that in his view the film is bad because the writers had the audacity to reference the original universe and make, you know, one that runs parallel while writing their own story. There was me thinking this was sort of the point of the reboot. The 'twist' he so disliked I found to be brilliantly executed, even more so when I realised exactly what they were doing.

The fact that Bob dismissed Harrison as merely a 'plot device' really smacks of him going into this with his mind already made up- there is pretty much no way in Bob's world that this film could please him- complex and multi-layered is dismissed as being a plot-device, yet if Harrison had been consistently evil/psychopathic/raspberry flavoured or whatever Bob would have called him 'One dimensional'.

My girlfriend and I are both lifelong Trek fans, her even more so than me, and we both thought it was an enjoyable fun movie with some great performances and decent-if-unoriginal action sequences which was true to the Trek mythos, and true to itself. I'd definitely recommend it to everyone. But then I know I'm odd because...

The Hang Over Part III, YES!

KHAN is whatever the plot needs him to be at any given point.

Nope. Poor call there, Khan was whatever HE needed to be at any given point to get what he wanted because he was smarter and better than everyone else. Its this hubris that is his eventual downfall.

Still, I called this review right about a week ago when I went to see (and enjoy) the film. Still its all opinions at the end of the day.

I find quite a few trek fans getting upset because I think Deep space nine was a worthless piece of shit. I only really sat through any of that because I hoped it would end with the Bajorans and their crappy cargo cult religion getting exterminated. DS9 onwards star trek as a series was pointless. I'd go so far as to say paramount should find the origional masters and burn them, at least try and make it as if they never happened. Abrahams film isnt perfect but its fun and its at least referencing one of the few good Trek films.

Remember folks, J.J. Abrams is the guy that's going to direct the new Star Wars movies too, from all accounts. Man, shooting down TWO beloved sci-fi universes with one director. What a twist.

Dear Mr Abrams...

You are becoming a hybrid of M. Night Shyamalan and Michael Bay.

Be forewarned...

CriticKitten:

Chessrook44:
Or they could just have Luke fight and kill one of Palpatine's many clones. Yes he actually had clones in the lore. Several of them.

Not any more.

Lucas has stated publicly that he hates the EU. And guess what, he's a creative consultant for the new Star Wars movies!

Expect absolutely none of the EU's canon to be respected. Not even the good stuff.

If the new movies aren't the Thrawn Trilogy, in my eyes they are not episodes 7 8 and 9.

I know (am related in fact) to people who thought Battleship was "f*ckin' awesome!". So I predict this movie will do well at the box office, and Mr. Abrams will be hailed as awesome too. Again.

The thing about Movie Bob reviews, is that I really don't have time for twists in movies. I've seen too many movies myself to be "Surprised" by anything these days.

I actually kind of like when he does these spoilers so I can get an idea of what I'm getting into, and from what he said, I'm actually kind of upset they did with Star Trek what I kind of saw happening 2 years ago (Which I wont mention incase someone reading this, didn't watch the review or see the movie yet, but will refer to here on out as ripoff, and assume people know what I am talking about).

Ripoff is a really bad thing to do with a series like star trek, because there is only so far you can go, using that same tired formula, before you start to run out of material.

Thank you for throwing all that out there, so now I know what to look for going into this movie.

Will repost agree/disagree when I've seen it.

Well that just saved me $20. I figured that this movie was going to be like that; now I have confirmation. The only way I can enjoy this movie now is drunk, so I'll have to wait for video. I think I'll go watch the Wrath of Khan now instead.

Thanks, Bob!

Am I like the only few people that felt Wrath of Khan wasn't as great as people like to imagine it to be? Best entry in the series is still Star Trek 4 if you ask me. :)

Anyways, saw this movie, and I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't great. But it was a decent entry in the revamped series. The problem that I had with the last movie was how dumb and nonsensical the motives and plot were in the movie. Nero's motives made no sense, and the time traveling elements didn't seem plausible but force.

On the other hand, I felt Into Darkness was a lot more easier to follow. I could have used more Klingons and less scenes of forced Star Trek shout outs to the original series (Bones' metaphors started to get annoying). But I regress.

The twist in the end... well, I felt like they chickened out in the end (having to do with Captain Kirk). But then again the original movies did the exact same thing with Star Trek 3. As being an altered timeline, I sorta liked how Kirk and Spocks positions were reverse, it gave it the sense that even with altered timelines, certain things do end up playing themselves out.

As for Bob's review? Well... I don't know. One thing I figured out about the way Bob does his job is he has the bad habit of making up his mind a little to easily. He doesn't have much of an open mind, and if he decides he's going to hate Star Wars 7, no matter how good the movie turns out to be, he's not going to change his mind. On the reverse side, no matter how bad Avengers 2 ends up, I know he'll defend and praise it till the end.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-trek-into-darkness

http://dustinputman.com/reviews/s/13_startrekintodarkness.htm

So, basically, what I've pulled from this is that I, a non-Trekkie, will enjoy this.

Awesome!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or