Escapist Podcast: 093: World of Warcraft and Cupcakes

093: World of Warcraft and Cupcakes

This week, the valiant Escapist crew discusses the future of World of Warcraft, cupcakes (because we are obsessed with food), and games that really disappointed us.

Watch Video

I only got to about a minute before my internet started crapping out and I'm waiting for the buffer to fill up enough to continue...
However already I have something to add to the conversation.

Between 1990 and 2010 I went to the doctor's office twice. One after being hit by a car, and once again years later when I noticed my eyesight was getting worse.
Nearing the end of 2010 I wasn't feeling too well, but I sucked it up and got better. Then for the next 6 months I kept getting sick and getting better, never bothering to go see a doctor (despite my friends telling me to do so). By July 2011 I finally relented and went to see my family doctor, a month later I was hospitalised and getting chemo treatments for stage IV Hodgekins Lymphoma. I'm doing fine now, but a whole lot of treatment (chemo and radiation and more chemo, and a stem-cell transplant) could have been avoided if I had gone and went to my doctor earlier.

So, morale of the story, don't just tough it out...

I think you guys are overestimating how money savey companies like Blizzard are. Whoever said that Blizzard would have switched to a FTP if they thought it would make more money. Company's can be timid as well as penny wise and dollar stupid. It is more likely that they are still used to getting the guarantee 15 dollars a month from subscribers. No amount of money projections for FTP you show them will make them want to give up that security blanket. It is because jobs are dependent on 1/4'ly statements of earning and no one wants to try to explain to share holders why the initial money dropped in half and they are waiting for the benefits of FTP to kick in.

Hey Paul, I bought it two weeks before launch too.... It was $240

MorganL4:
Hey Paul, I bought it two weeks before launch too.... It was $240

I thought it had to be around that price point.

i feel like you guys are a lot less focused and a little raunchier without Susan not saying that as a positive or negative just a thought i think i like the occasional change of pace.

edit: i really need to spell check better

How can we fuck?

Well Greg, If you asked...
First you find nice location (with fireplace preferably)
Then you put on some nice music, drink some wine and get all moody (it is a word right?)
Then you all four undress and..
[CRAP I FORGOT, FOR A LOVE OF NON-EXISTENT GOD SWITCH OFF CAMERA, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE ONE AWKWARD PODCAT THAT WOULD FUEL NIGHTMARES OF AVERAGE ESCAPEE!!!]
..let your wildest imagination become reality.
Hope it helps :D :D :D

captcha: I'm yours
Dammit, captcha is flirting with me again :/

Jack Shepard is the name of Mathew Fox's character in Lost.

shiajun:

That's right! I knew I remembered it from something!

puff ball:
i feel like you guys are a lot less focused and a little rancher without Susan not saying that as a positive or negative just a thought i think i like the occasional change of pace.

If you mean raunchier, then yes, I'd agree with that. And I'm not sure it's a good thing :)

I've been playing WoW since the beginning and I can say this about Titan.

If Titan isn't free to play, I won't play it. I won't throw away all my hard work that I've put in my character(s) just to play Titan. Most of the WoW players think the same way because of all the time invested in it.

Also, the chance of Titan being another RPG and Fantasy setting (most probably Sci Fi) is very low. It would be stupid to make it the same as WoW but with a different universe.

I'm speculating it will be either a Third Person or First Person MMO.

DarkhoIlow:
I've been playing WoW since the beginning and I can say this about Titan.

If Titan isn't free to play, I won't play it. I won't throw away all my hard work that I've put in my character(s) just to play Titan. Most of the WoW players think the same way because of all the time invested in it.

Also, the chance of Titan being another RPG and Fantasy setting (most probably Sci Fi) is very low. It would be stupid to make it the same as WoW but with a different universe.

I'm speculating it will be either a Third Person or First Person MMO.

If Blizzard was smart they would have some way for your achievements and gear to carry over to Titan in the form of xp buffs or maybe a special mount. Like a jet motorcycle with a side car for your friends that goes faster then regular mounts.

Greg Tito:

puff ball:
i feel like you guys are a lot less focused and a little rancher without Susan not saying that as a positive or negative just a thought i think i like the occasional change of pace.

If you mean raunchier, then yes, I'd agree with that. And I'm not sure it's a good thing :)

actually i meant you go better on salad and with wings.

I'm on Justin's team, I just don't feel the need to go to the doctor for every sniffle, I live in a partially social health care country as well.

Community Acquired Pneumonia! Is what causes lingering chest colds.

Plus, preventative care saves a lot more money than just showing up when you're sick...just saying...

Also, over prescription of Abx is because that's what the vast herd wants (and is defensive against malpractice). If a patient shows up at a practice, don't get abx, and want it, well they'll just go to the practice down the road to the shill who'll give it to them. And you've just lost a patient. But, you're correct it is creating quite a few drug-resistant bugs. Scary-news flash: there's a rapidly spreading resistant Gonorrhea-strain 0.o

grumbles about people who treat these things so casually...

No Susan this week... cue sad face :(

Mode 7 fantasy futuristic football! Drooling.

Greg Tito:

shiajun:

That's right! I knew I remembered it from something!

As the brother of the asker, I can say that he only likes mass effect from a narcissistic standpoint, and lost bores him to tears. The worst one is Greys Anatomy

Vis a bus the discussion on ducks, I feel that it is important to point out that ducks are one of the only animal species that engage in forcible rape. They are also the only bird with external genitalia. These two variables may or may not be related.

Well now... That PODCAT literary made my end of the day... and what not :3

I havent played LoL for quite some time now, but I remember the hassle of people wanting to play the latest char in each match, but since only one on each team can have that chance. If you give some people every new char from the start, I would guess that would lower the amount of people buying them at release, since they will have even less of a chance to get to play it.

Eagi:
I havent played LoL for quite some time now, but I remember the hassle of people wanting to play the latest char in each match, but since only one on each team can have that chance. If you give some people every new char from the start, I would guess that would lower the amount of people buying them at release, since they will have even less of a chance to get to play it.

I'm not so certain, and I think it would likely even out and stay much the same as it is. The majority of the people that would shell out some large amount to get every champion are likely the same who buy them all right now. Then there would also be some percentage of people who don't buy every time, but they see the value in buying at as a bundle and saving over time.

The dedicated buyers who want to always be on the cutting edge trying the latest champions will always be there, but it's that middle group who may or may not upset the balance. Some of them will certainly be more inclined to try out new champions they are receiving that they might normally not have bought, but I'd also see a case being made that if you're getting them all some would be less inclined to try each and every one of them. If you're not picking and choosing, you're going to be much less excited to try out that new character if it was a weekly thing than if it really caught your attention enough to purchase.

On seeing the doctor... I feel your view is truly colored by the state of the US healthcare system. Having moved around and known both sides of the coin, I can already tell you that annual checkups are a very American thing. Not all yearly physicals are medically justified, and if you've had one check up when you were eighteen (which is pretty standard, before you're packed off to college) and everything checked out okay, there is no medical reason for you to get another physical for another 5 or even 10 years. Provided you don't have any other symptoms, of course. I can't stress this enough, especially in light of Eleuthera's sobering example. His is not a frequent case, but these things do happen.
Justin, however, is totally right when it comes to antibiotics. A lot of the winter sniffles are due to viruses, and handing out antibiotics like candy is not doing any good. The United States uses antibiotics intensely according to the Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy.

Back to games! Really enjoyed the talk about MMOs. Once again, you guys raised the issue of subscription based versus free-to-play, but the business model Guild Wars uses. You pay once (I think I paid ~50€ for my boxed copy of GW2) and that's it. You can play until the servers shut down. If you want to throw more money at them, there's the gem store with minis, town clothes, mining picks that never degrade, character change, etc. But you can have a great experience without spending extra cash. I think I already brought this up in the podcast when I asked about TESO, but the "pay once, spend extra if you want", seems like a great balance between the two. And the amount of content in GW2 is amaaaaazing. After almost 400 hours (and no extra money spent), I'm still not done with the game. The devs manage to keep me completely involved in the game, there's no multitasking (unless it's to check a map or event timers on a tablet), and there's always something I want to do: daily achievements, map completion, dive sites, dungeons, or just plain hanging out with my guildmates.
Still waiting on TESO, I'm hoping it'll be as great, but for the moment GW2 has captured 99% of my gaming time (which is a big thing for me, I was never an MMO player).

Great question on the cupcakes, but you guys shouldn't come crying later when your cholesterol shot through the roof! ;) I'd definitely pick the one a day option, but I can't remember the last time I had a cupcake... Must've been years ago!

Star Trek - check. Cupcakes - check. Baldur's Gate - check. Yup, this one's legit!! :D

I would totally go with 100 duck size horses, tame them all, paint them vibrant colors and give them "cutie marks" then sell them to the brony community for kick ass profit.

So, just curious. Is there no official health care information service to call and ask whether or not your symptoms calls for medical attention in america?

And about this greed thing. I don't really get the moral debate angle on the issue. During the last console generation consumers of videogames have de facto been getting alot of content sold to them as DLC that would have previously been expected as part of a full price title (I still love you SF IV, but damn you are barren). Whatever the motivation or people behind those decision may be, the consumers are getting the short end of the stick. Being a corporation out to make money does not justify or change anything. We and they are all perfectly aware of what's going on, the scary thing is that people stop caring when it goes on long enough (most probably already have?). That's why we need you guys and gals in the gaming press to call it out. Bad is bad, talking about moral and greed vs laissez-faire values sometimes clouds the issue. Don't let them lower the standards, please! :<

Strayed more than a wee bit beyond the podcat topic there, sorry. But similar debates have been up on the pod previously and I felt I had to throw in my 2 cents.

The problem with horse-sized ducks is that animals are the size they are for very specific reasons (if you really want to get into it, read On Being the Right Size, I believe it's on Google Scholar). To summarize, while it's possible to pygmy animals with only a loss in survival effectiveness at worst (which hardly matters if they're under the protection of humans), increasing an animal's size necessitates a complete change in their body structure.

Basically, if you increased a duck to the size of a horse, it's legs would shatter under its own weight. Horse legs shatter under a horse's weight if they gallop with the legs at anything other than a very specific angle, and horses have four legs and are built for it. Duck legs wouldn't stand a chance.

Well if you run out of buttons then its a fault of shitty controller and nothing else. Not to mention that Metro is suposed to be played on PC to begin with.

and its not distracting yourself, its multitasking. theres only so much hours in a day and so much to do.

Also civilization + audiobook = heaven

Coprporations are greedy because their goal is to make money. Their goal should be to provide a service/product and profit should be a side-effect. However our economy is based on greed and therefore yes, ALL companies are greedy. This is nt to say that necessarily all companies are evil. Greed does not equal bad in itself. You were right to say that first of all we should ask a question "how?".

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here