Escapist News Now: The Last of Us Preview

The Last of Us Preview

Escapist News Now previews The Last of Us with Erick Pangilinan, art director at Naughty Dog.

Watch Video

I'm pretty excited about this game. I find the portion talking about the beauty and the lighting the world were so important, a bit ironic. They are developing it on 8 year old hardware, it's only going to be a fraction of what it could be because of that.

I like the "abandonment of man" concept. Too often do we see barren wastelands and dilapidated buildings, it's refreshing to see what the world would look like when nature takes over where man fails.

I like their approach to the abandonment of man. It feels arrogant when an apocalypse is depicted it's a barren wasteland (in less it's nuclear related). In a way, man is killing nature.

The concepts for the infected are really disturbing as well, but oddly beautify in a grotesque way. This game will at least look pretty.

plot twist; you have sonar ears because you are slightly infected and the infected have the super hearing.

or orrr...unless you have 7.1 100 headphones on you won't be able to locate sound like you can do in real life. But then a fully outlined and mobile silhouette is still a bit much

really interesting. shame i wont be able to play it since its for PS3 only :(

Baresark:
I'm pretty excited about this game. I find the portion talking about the beauty and the lighting the world were so important, a bit ironic. They are developing it on 8 year old hardware, it's only going to be a fraction of what it could be because of that.

Games normally look their best near the end of a console's life.

I'm not sure why, maybe because the programmers have gotten the hang of the hardware and the artist have learnt it's restrictions along with a more stable production pipeline and production tools.

Look at FFXII. I didn't like the game much, but damn it artwork is incredible. It's all optimised for the capabilities of the PS2 hardware and is the best that can be done with it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here