We're Done Here

Pages PREV 1 2

IceForce:
New drinking game: Take a shot every time you see a post with this phrase in it, on these forums.

Take a shot every time you see a Vault101 memorial avatar.
Take a shot for every 50 replies to a thread regarding sex/gender/sexism/relationships/friendzones/LGBTQ/feminism/etc
Take 2 shots for every post by a mod.
Take 5 for every post by Susan/the editor in chief.

ALCOHOLISM MODE:
Take a shot every time you take a shot.

Excluding that last one we could probably make a decent game out of this. Have a dedicated thread for people to post in and record their progress. The quality of the average post could be quite severely impaired though, depending on how popular this game gets.

If someone is so annoying and/or insultingly stupid that that person drives me to just like that abandoning a conversation just to keep my IQ from turning into a countdown then... Frankly, I don't give a damn how I look in their eyes. I don't do it to make a cool exit while the world burns. I do it to make ANY exit because OHMYGODTHISISSTUPID!!!

Captcha: babel fish

No, not even that little guy can translate Moronic into a civilized language.

Is that Phil Fish in the first panel?

Jandau:

blackrave:
Phrases like like this (alongside "discussion over", "I'm done with you", etc.) always amused me
I always considered that they mean "I'm too stupid/ignorant to continue this discussion and too proud to admit it"

Some may say that they can also mean "I don't have time for this", but I disagree
"I don't have time for this" usually is the phrase that means "I don't have time for this" ;)

Actually, it often means "The potential rewards I estimate might come from this discussion are nowhere near the time/energy investment needed to continue it. As a result, I'm terminating it and moving to a more productive and/or satisfying activity.". Just because someone doesn't want to continue talking with you doesn't mean you've "won" or whatever, it might just mean you're being a prick and they don't want to waste energy on you...

Ohlookit'sMatty:
Do we get any context for this? Are we talking about breaking up with someone, quitting a job, walking away from someone trying to chat you up at the bar?
-M

I got your context right HERE! This is the thing to say to someone who's head is so far up their own ass that they can't hear you reason with them, so you cut your losses and look for either more open- or like-minded people to converse with and not punch in the ironic facial hair.

Yeah, I feel the same way... and ask myself, "Is this REALLY the right way to go about things or do I look foolish?"

These comics sure make me reflect on my life a lot.

Grey Carter:
We're Done Here

This is for all you Twitter folks.

Read Full Article

Not gonna lie, I read the title and thought it would be a Cave Johnson comic.

Read the comic and the slight disappointment of being wrong was offset by the truthiness of it.

If a reasonable person were to read your discussion and see the falsity of the other debaters' argument, you've succeeded.
If they were to read your discussion and see the truth of your argument, you've succeeded.
If, through having a discussion, you see the falsity of your own argument (and you admit it), you can abandon the discussion with your dignity intact.

How convinced or otherwise an irrational debater is by your argument is irrelevant. However, there is no time when saying 'we're done here' casts you in a good light.

Zachary Amaranth:

rofltehcat:
Ha, love the last panel :D

I never would have guessed. >.>

On a completely unrelated note, I love your avatar. Where's it from?

I'm equally interested, it looks vaguely familiar.

Hmm.

Damn, I hate my memory >_<

*sigh*

It's true. As much of a badass I wish I felt like for saying that, I know I'm just pussing out.

Andy Shandy:

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:
It's okay, that guy is a hipster, he probably deserved it.

I was about to say the same thing. Is it wrong of me to want to punch that guy? He's got such a punchable face.

See, I was going to say "Yes, it is wrong" because he has a fantastic moustache, but now that you've pointed it out, I kinda want to punch it too.

OT: Also it makes me laugh whenever I see some version of "We're done here" whether it be here or on other places. For the most part, you've just admitted you were too stupid to continue discussing the topic, and were idiotic for arguing in the first place.

In all fairness, there are times when you are having a conversation, either electronically or in person and the other person says something so incomprehensibly stupid, that you just recognize that there is no longer any point in continuing. I mean what are you going to do in that case? Carefully explain why they are dumb as rocks? No, you are going to say "We're done here." and walk away, it is more respectful than verbally tearing the other guy a new one.

blackrave:
Phrases like like this (alongside "discussion over", "I'm done with you", etc.) always amused me
I always considered that they mean "I'm too stupid/ignorant to continue this discussion and too proud to admit it"

Some may say that they can also mean "I don't have time for this", but I disagree
"I don't have time for this" usually is the phrase that means "I don't have time for this" ;)

Then what's the phrase that means "I am very disturbed by what you are saying, but I don't want to tell you to your face that you're a creepy ass mo-fo for saying what you're saying, and I need to be slghtly forceful here otherwise you'll keep bugging me."?

...Cause that's kinda what I use the phrase "We're done here" for.

Other then that, I don't really have anything else to say yet so... I'll just go sit in this corner and cry.

(Not that Forums have Corners which can be sat in)

ZexionSephiroth:

Then what's the phrase that means "I am very disturbed by what you are saying, but I don't want to tell you to your face that you're a creepy ass mo-fo for saying what you're saying, and I need to be slightly forceful here otherwise you'll keep bugging me."?

...Cause that's kinda what I use the phrase "We're done here" for.

Other then that, I don't really have anything else to say yet so... I'll just go sit in this corner and cry.

(Not that Forums have Corners which can be sat in)

1.Please don't cry. There are more mentally healthier alternatives to crying. Drinking for example. Or killing a-holes who wrecked your life in childhood. OR killing a-holes who wrecked your life in childhood AFTER getting drunk. Because that's usually goes well...
2.There are corners in this forum but they are few and usually occupied sometimes by me :(

Daystar Clarion:

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

I was about to say the same thing. Is it wrong of me to want to punch that guy? He's got such a punchable face.

So punchable.

With his hipster glasses and his hipster facial hair.

So very, very punchable.

Is it really worth punching someone over because he/she liked things before they got popular?

Besides, he looks like a young version of the Pringles logo.

OT: That punchline is cheating. Most people sound like this when they say something "snarky" on the Internet!

Oh well, it still made me laugh.

Random Argument Man:

Daystar Clarion:

Fappy:

So punchable.

So very, very punchable.

Is it really worth punching someone over because he/she liked things before they got popular?

Besides, he looks like a young version of the Pringles logo.

OT: That punchline is cheating. Most people sound like this when they say something "snarky" on the Internet!

Oh well, it still made me laugh.

Yes.

So very, very, very, yes.

All the yes.

Did anyone else mentally add "Cave Johnson" to the beginning of this thread's title? Because I was somewhat disappointed that there was no actual Cave Johnson.

Is there like a condescension quota you guys have to meet or is this just a theme month?

Love the last panel btw

Did you seriously did an expectation vs reality joke? I expect more of you than retarded 9gag worthy jokes. You can do better than that.

Daystar Clarion:

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:

So punchable.

So very, very punchable.

'Punch me, I bleed'

:D

Balkan:
Did you seriously did an expectation vs reality joke? I expect more of you than retarded 9gag worthy jokes. You can do better than that.

We did seriously did.

Grey Carter:

Balkan:

We did seriously did.

Haha, guess I should pay more attention. But seriously, jokes about Canadians being nice and other memes are rarely funny.
The cake is a lie, amiright?

I'm not going to lie - I use the "I'm done with you" card every once in a while. However, I think people are mistaken when they say that it's primarily used when one no longer has a legitimate argument. As an example, I typically use it when the other person absolutely refuses to actually attack the argument rather than just insult me or argue a different point entirely and / or when they blatantly are ignoring everything I'm actually saying. It can get really old to argue with someone who can't actually keep on topic, so leaving with a simple "if you're not going to actually counter the points I'm making, then I'm done here" seems reasonable imho.

Captcha: "make a bee-line". Should I start running now?

Snot-nosed little kid Erin is cute

V da Mighty Taco:
I'm not going to lie - I use the "I'm done with you" card every once in a while. However, I think people are mistaken when they say that it's primarily used when one no longer has a legitimate argument. As an example, I typically use it when the other person absolutely refuses to actually attack the argument rather than just insult me or argue a different point entirely and / or when they blatantly are ignoring everything I'm actually saying. It can get really old to argue with someone who can't actually keep on topic, so leaving with a simple "if you're not going to actually counter the points I'm making, then I'm done here" seems reasonable imho.

Captcha: "make a bee-line". Should I start running now?

I disagree on one count.

The MAJORITY of the time, "We're done here" or equivalent is used in an infantile fashion, though there are rare occasions where it isn't. I can think of maybe one instance where it was used justifiably, but a great many instances where it was used by an idiot.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here