Unskippable: Crysis 3

Crysis 3

Paul and Graham become entangled in a Crysis ... 3.

Watch Video

I liked it, especially the reference to Isaac's helmet.

Nice video, gentleman.

In Soviet Crysis, glass breaks you!

Perhaps he thought the space squid wasn't as important as his real predicament. Somehow or other, he'd managed to miss his bus.

"..is his back magnetic, his gun just went *whoop!*"
Haha I just noticed that! He must be just like 95% of JRPG protagonists who carry car-sized swords on their back-magnets :P

Also it's kinda ironic how Psycho says "it's all about that suit now" because Prophet IS the suit, the actual body inside once belonged to Alcatraz. Alcatraz technically died at the end of Crysis 2 and all we have remaining now is a ghost in the shell (an AI called SECOND) which identifies itself as Prophet and has the memories/personality of Laurence Barnes, using Alcatraz's muscles/brain/etc to remain functional.

Took me a whole WEEK to wrap my mind around that colossal mindfuck thanks to Crytek explaining it so poorly :P

That Power Rangers reference cracked me up. Also how the hell did a bus get into orbit?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and regarding the giant space squid, Prophet should be thankful he's not a petite anime schoolgirl.

I like to imagine that LRR got really drunk to celebrate the 500th video and forgot to record this week's Unskippable. Cut to the next day, when they awaken in a hung-over haze to a pile of emails from Susan Arendt, demanding a video in the next few hours or they're fired. Cue sobering-up montage, and this is the result. Well done, gentlemen.

So Yahtzee was right about Prophet taking over Alcatraz's body. That dick.

Aaron Sylvester:
"..is his back magnetic, his gun just went *whoop!*"
Haha I just noticed that! He must be just like 95% of JRPG protagonists who carry car-sized swords on their back-magnets :P

Also it's kinda ironic how Psycho says "it's all about that suit now" because Prophet IS the suit, the actual body inside once belonged to Alcatraz. Alcatraz technically died at the end of Crysis 2 and all we have remaining now is a ghost in the shell (an AI called SECOND) which identifies itself as Prophet and has the memories/personality of Laurence Barnes, using Alcatraz's muscles/brain/etc to remain functional.

Took me a whole WEEK to wrap my mind around that colossal mindfuck thanks to Crytek explaining it so poorly :P

You'd think with their fantastic tarp mechanics, Crytek could have textured some straps or holsters on those guys (unless they DO have magnetized guns). And the real explanation for switching protagonists makes even less sense! What the deuce?!

Darth_Payn:
And the real explanation for switching protagonists makes even less sense! What the deuce?!

Well to put it step by step:
> Between C1 and C2 Prophet (Laurence Barnes, fully alive) is infected by alien virus
> No cure, he's gonna die very soon anyway
> Tries to take the suit off but realizes that the suit still won't work without him even if he puts someone else in there, it's coded to only respond to him
> Finds Alcatraz (who is critically wounded, very close to death after the C2 intro submarine event). Prophet puts him in the suit, kills himself to break the symbiotic link between him and the suit, helps keep Alcatraz alive
> During the the gap between C1 and C2 the SECOND AI was learning Laurence's memories, thoughts and personality
> Even after Laurence died, a "ghost" of him continued to live on inside the suit AI - remember this is not Laurence, he is dead
> C2 happens, Alcatraz finds the suit growing more and more into his body and all his internal organs (bar heart/brain) essentially get assimilated into the suit (ewww). His memories and thoughts start getting overtaken by the constant projections and hallucinations the suit keeps showing him of Laurence's memories/personality.
> End of C2 - Alcatraz jumps into the alien spore and dies - but since during the events of C2 a "copy" of him was already being stored by SECOND, his ghost meets Laurence's ghost and we see that whole scene "hey marine, some trip huh? Thought I was dead? Well the suit changes ALL the rules, blah blah blah".
> In the final cutscene of C2 by the time the suit repairs/reboots (remember, the man known as Alcatraz is dead) whatever is left of the body inside the suit is no longer "alive" in the sense that it is purely being controlled by an AI that is using the human brain for computational purposes. But it believes it is Prophet, it believes it has a personality and a "soul". Neat, eh?
> Prophet is captured by CELL and put in that container because they can't figure out how to destroy the guy, they can't peel the nanosuit off him either because there is basically no body inside, the whole thing is one semi-organic mess on the inside after what the suit experienced during C2 and direct contact with the alien spore. In the meantime Psycho is also captured by CELL and has his nanosuit peeled off.
> 20 years later Prophet wakes up and now we're in Crysis 3!

never finished the first two games, but seeing this kinda makes me wanna go back and do so

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here