The Big Picture: Secrets of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

If Jesus loves me, it'll be Josiah X.

Pat Hulse:
In an interview for IGN Jeffery Bell confirmed that it was not Luke Cage, may have possibly slipped that the first letter in the guy's name is "M", and also said some things about colorblind casting.

Honestly, we were looking for this part, and we just said, look, all our parts are open to all diversity. So the fact that we have a black dude who is awesome and it's J, was just because he was the best actor. It wasn't like, "You know who...!"

While Marvel reps have flat-out lied in the past, particularly when a mystery is guessed right out of the gate, my money is actually on Moon Knight. No, he's never been portrayed as a black man, but neither was Nick Fury before the Ultimates and neither was Heimdall before "Thor". Also, it would make the hoodie a clever costume choice. Still, it would mean they changed a lot of his backstory and gave him powers right from the beginning, so it might be a bit of a stretch, but I like banking on the long-shot.

Man, I never though of Moon Knight as very TV friendly. All that carving crescents into peoples faces, being as bat-shit crazy as Ant-Man (possibly more), and you know, keeping his arch enemy's skinned face and trying it on now and then...

The Bottom was a great comic book but it would make for absolutely harrowing television.

EDIT: I just remembered the Civil War cameo from Captain America in The Bottom...best part of the book...

I learn something new every single time I watch an episode of The Big Picture. Half of the guys on the list I had never heard of, and I didn't actually know Black Panther's kingdom was a superadvanced society.

Still, of that list, I'm kinda pushing for him being Blade, just because I feel that character is in need of a reboot.

Trishbot:
C'mon, we all know the answer is that it's Miles Morales, the black Spider-man, who works day in and out with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury:

Oh! I forgot the oh-so-racial incorrect BLACK GOLIATH!

See once the fact that Cage was thrown out as a theory (though still a heavy bet) all i could think of was Goliath, i mean we're talking avengers here, and a reason to have pym and pym particles through antman introduction. Though really rage is a possible too, or just a "insert new joss superhero/superman analogue" Though I think goliath is the best idea purely because previously stated pym references

DanielG:
Personally, I like to think that Loki was doing it intentionally in order to get out of being controlled by Thanos.

What, screwing up intentionally? I really don't think so - the Chitauri(sp?) leader made it clear that if Loki failed Thanos was going to kick his ass. If anything, it's through Loki that they're going to find about Thanos since Loki's is probably marked for death now.

Gatx:
The guy doesn't really seem like he'd be Luke Cage. In my mind I envisioned Luke Cage to act like Black Dynamite if only because of his exploitation roots.

After seeing Black Dynamite I had the exact same thought - Michael Jai White would make a great Luke Cage. Pair him up with someone like Luke Goss (Blade 2, Hellboy 2) and you've got your 'Heroes for hire'.

There have been too many denials coming from the show creators for me to believe that the guy in the trailer is Luke Cage.
Now if this were an Abrams/Lindehof project I'd instantly believe they were lying but I think that 'Rage' is actually the most likely candidate.

DVS BSTrD:
If it is Luke Cage I'm just disappointed they didn't hire Old Spike Guy to play him.

Spice and his name is Isaiah Mustafa, and as much as I REALLY want to see him in a Marvel movie, I think the best person to play Luke Cage in a movie is Terry Crews. Unless you are talking about Terry Crews?

Wait are you talking about ,"Hello ladies," Old Spice or ,"16 HOURS OF ODOR BLOCKING POOOWWEEEEEEEEEEEEER," Old Spice?

So this takes place after The Avengers movie? Sweet!

Can't be anyone except Cage!

The Bradley family has a spectacular backstory. I think it's pretty definitely Cage but this isn't a bad second option.

Mr. Q:
The best piece of evidence we've got is a brief shot of our hero's arm at 2:14 on the full trailer.

If anyone has a theory they want to test, please speak up.

No theory, but here's a screen:

Hectix777:

DVS BSTrD:
If it is Luke Cage I'm just disappointed they didn't hire Old Spike Guy to play him.

Spice and his name is Isaiah Mustafa, and as much as I REALLY want to see him in a Marvel movie, I think the best person to play Luke Cage in a movie is Terry Crews. Unless you are talking about Terry Crews?

Wait are you talking about ,"Hello ladies," Old Spice or ,"16 HOURS OF ODOR BLOCKING POOOWWEEEEEEEEEEEEER," Old Spice?

Not sure if Isaiah Mustafa (the "Hello, ladies" pitch man) is a good fit for the role of Luke Cage imo. His self-made pitch trailer didn't really sell me.

His guest appearance in Marvel's What The..?! on the other hand...

Still, Terry Crews (the "16 HOURS OF ODOR BLOCKING POOOWWEEEEEEEEEEEEER" pitch man) might work but this is debatable until the cows come home.

Speaking of Terry Crews and Marvel...

Edguy:

Mr. Q:
The best piece of evidence we've got is a brief shot of our hero's arm at 2:14 on the full trailer.

If anyone has a theory they want to test, please speak up.

No theory, but here's a screen:

Thanks, Edguy.

DVS BSTrD:
If it is Luke Cage I'm just disappointed they didn't hire Old Spice Guy to play him.

Which one? Terry?

DJ_DEnM:

DVS BSTrD:
If it is Luke Cage I'm just disappointed they didn't hire Old Spice Guy to play him.

Which one? Terry?

The one who made video saying the world will know me as Luke Cage.

Wait I thought this was a prequel (to the Avengers) series. Why is Bob wondering how Phil came back?

How in the heck was this the first time of me hearing this show?
I must have been living under a rock :V

Movie Bob made a mistake. Blade is Eric Brooks; not Eric Draven, that's the Crow.

I had a moment of confusion when Bob said "premiers this fall". I found myself wondering why he was using the future tense instead of the past tense, given it's winter right now. Then I remembered he's a Yank, and the seasons up there are inverted.

Why can't companies give release dates unambiguously? If you can't get any more accurate than 3 months, use "Nth Quarter" and stop confusing those of us who live under the Southern Cross.

I'm not a comic book guy but from these brief descriptions a lot of them sound the same.

"A black guy was exposed to something and now has super strength"

Although, I guess super strength is kind of a must for any super hero.

Hm, my money's still on Cage. Funny part about Bob's list is half of them are too big, the other half is too small, while Luke is just right. :p

Bad Goldilocks joke aside safe bet to eliminate the Hulk sized people since the guy isn't that big, and the not so super strong ones like Blade, Panther and Patriot wouldn't have made such a huge impact on landing. So Cage fits the bill size wise at least.

I think he's a Skrul...Chitauri infiltrator turned hero.. AKA little known character called Crusader.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Z%27Reg_(Earth-616)

He kinda fits with the events involving the Cosmic Cube in the MCU. And since marvel has the Skrull rights back, he can be included as one of Thanos's spies. Now if he no memory of how he got bracer and later he finds out he "is" one of the badguys. He would have to make a choice. Themes that Whedon has done in his stories.

Of course I could be wrong and we get a skinny Luke Cage lol.

pottyaboutpotter1:
I'm just excited because it's a new Joss Whedon show. I also want to see some of his circle of actors appearing in it. Sarah Michele Gellar as a SHIELD agent/Carol Danes anyone?

You realize that was Gunn from Angel right?

Which is cool, I've not seen him in anything else. I'm sure there will be the obligatory Nathan Fillion role too :P

omega 616:
I'm not a comic book guy but from these brief descriptions a lot of them sound the same.

"A black guy was exposed to something and now has super strength"

Although, I guess super strength is kind of a must for any super hero.

A lot of super heroes have incredibly convoluted origin stories. Stan Lee came up with the X Men because he was tired of bullshit reasons for people having superpowers. So a lot of marvel heroes origin story, for their powers at least, is 'cos they're a mutant, stop asking stupid questions'.

I don't think he's Luke Cage. I feel like Marvel wants Cage for a solo film, or more likely, a Heroes For Hire buddy film and in either case they're going to cast a bigger name than Richards.

Rage fits but... something tells me the whole "angry black child in a superstrong adult body" is going to draw a lot of criticism. Unless he's been Rage for awhile and is now mentally in his 20's or 30's. Would make for great backstory in that case.

This is all assuming he's not playing a formerly white character. I dunno. I wish they'd tell us.

Luke Cage is the only one of them I know, so it's probably him.

SPOILER it has been confirmed that it is Sam wilson aka the falcon.

My money is on a whole new character. Why? because I am a gambler throwing away my money. LOL

Well played Bob, well played

Zorg Machine:

Really, where did you hear that?

That would be an interesting choice also. But I am not that familiar with the character.

the7ofswords:
Blade the Vampire Hunter≠Eric Draven. Blade's real name is Eric Brooks.

Eric Draven was the lead in The Crow.

Just, you know ... for the record.

It really is a shame Bob doesn't seem to read the comments. This one really needs rubbing in...

Zorg Machine:

You mean the character that's also been confirmed as appearing in Captain America: The Winter Soldier? I strongly doubt it...

Created by stuntman, actor, writer, microbiologist and Underworld concept creator Kevin Grevioux

So what, I was the only person surprised that that one lycan fella created the damn film, and is a microbiologist, AND his name is one letter away from Grevious?!

Damn.

The bug-looking yellow and metal thing on his arm indicates NOT Luke Cage, whose skin is impenetrable.

Also opens up the possibility of it being darn near anyone. Alien, mystic, etc. Or Potentially a non-cannon spin-off of the Bradleys. Same basic premise (Super-Soldier serum by-blows) but with a different storyline and more flexibility to take it where the writers want.

And it turns out everyone guessed wrong. They were building him up to be

of all things? Honestly, I'm a little impressed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here