Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Translation Goofs

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Top 5 Translation Goofs

This week Lisa gives us five great examples of the slaughter of the English language.

Watch Video

How could you not include the X-Men arcade game? It had some of the best horrible translations.

So this is what life was like before "Dam you auto correct".

I think the top slot belongs to NES games in general, or 80s/90s arcade games. Maybe some horrid abomination that combines the two http://www.willyliliana.com/NES%20Cabinet/NES%20Cabinet.htm.

I was actually expecting even worse errors !

I don't think "Spoony Bard" is an insult anymore. Not since Tandem the Spoony was created.

Hope there's someone here who gets that...

raven47172:
How could you not include the X-Men arcade game? It had some of the best horrible translations.

You dare question Lisa, Master of Comic? Welcome to Cry!

This list must've been hard to compile as the 80's and early 90's were rife with such translation disasters.

The opening made me taste colours...

The first pixelated Final Fantasy games had some minor translation mistakes. One fan even translated it to Latin...WHY?!?!

raven47172:

Welcome to DIE!

Aptspire:

raven47172:

Welcome to DIE!

one of my favorites in the categories of both arcade games and awesomely horrible translations

DVS BSTrD:

Actually, it's more that English translations are mostly being done by people that speak the language now. Engrish is alive and well in Japan.

I was wondering what could possibly top Zero Wing for funniest translation. "Steel wall of niceness" definitely manages it. I wouldn't say the ghostbusters one is funny though.

I was going to make a comment on the lack of spoony bards.
Then I saw the ending.

Ah well, steel wall of niceness go!

raven47172:

"I am Magneto...Master of magnet!"

Yeah. That's kind of what I was thinking. Not sure if it's bad translation or horrible dialog writing...maybe both.

Awesome. Lisa's enthusiasm really shone through on this one.

I'm partial to "I got excited at him" and "once again I cut a worthless object" myself.

I feel there should've been at least one Resident Evil in that Top 5. The first game has too many errors to count. Especially against living things.

"There are no impenetrable structures of friendship"

Lisa, do you even friendship?

Also, you should never say 'happy ending' on the internet, you'll only play into their sick desires!

No honorable mention for Final Fantasy 7's "I don't even know what a reunion is!"?

CptRumGuy:
I don't think "Spoony Bard" is an insult anymore. Not since Tandem the Spoony was created.

Hope there's someone here who gets that...

I get that reference my friend i get it

No honorable mention for the other meme zero wing created?

Not much of a goof, I know... but it sure is catchy.

I recognize most of those games and I think a couple I put the controller down before breaking my game system. I got a good laugh at this top 5. Good job!

You never know...maybe all those fighters ever really needed in life was a hug?

Ps: www.engrish.com is loaded with silly translation errors (mainly in merchandise, but fun nonetheless)

Great glory making from the List Foiles. Enjoyment in bountiful did make the receipt of this videos.

I think that all games should have Engrish as a language option, regardless of the native language. For great justice!

I bet if I dig around my closet enough I could dig up my old TG16 and copy of Bloody Wolf. I don't recall any translation issues with it but it has been quite some time since I've played it.

Hmm.... given what the song Turning Japanese is actually about... and Lisa gave us "Happy End"ing... there might be another level to this video. ;)

Engrish is hat. No ha ha ha. Arso, othor nydez two gou dyper - trousends of hilariaty lives in ather gaims.

el_kabong:

raven47172:

"I am Magneto...Master of magnet!"

Yeah. That's kind of what I was thinking. Not sure if it's bad translation or horrible dialog writing...maybe both.

Captain America and the Avengers, anyone?

"YOU CAN'T ESCAPE."

"YOU will be the ones escaping!"

Reminds me of that old Captain America cover.

"Only one of us is leaving this room under his own power.... AND IT'S NOT GONNA BE ME!"

Why can't more games be made by Chinese?

This reminded me of the original English(?) subtitles appearing on The Iceman Cometh...
Antagonist (to protagonist): "I threat you! I challenge you meet me on the roof tonight for a ... duet!"
Damn the producers for fixing it in later releases. :(

DVS BSTrD:

"Damn you autocorrect."

1. Misspelled "Damn"
2. Broke the word "autocorrect" into two words
3. Placed the period after the second quotation mark
4. "you" was perfect.

Life is not so different with autocorrect.
Side note: "Like a BAWS!" is completely acceptable due to its Mabelocity.

"Main screen turn on."
"What you say?!"

(Cue "All Your Base" song.)

Can we all just start saying "conglaturations" instead of its less-fun correct self?

Because that's what I'm gonna do.

Spoony bard?? Was that an underhand attack toward the Spoony One?

God I love Engrish. The only Japanese-fail-game I've played that I remember goofs in recently is Deadly Premonition (the original version) and its many gems. Including a green apple/blue apple mix-up because Japan uses the same word and apparently the translator died and was replaced in the five seconds between dialogue boxes.

I had to take a Japanese translation course this past semester and I don't understand. It's not that hard, guys. I promise.

I guess, that scene in FFVII where Jenova is going off on Cloud: "Beacause you are a puppet." It's one letter, but that line has stuck in my head for years beacause of it. She has a -single- line of dialogue in the entire game, and -that- is what she says. x)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here