Reel Physics: True Lies - You're Fired

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Something something season 2 nawo pls ktnxbi

As I said on the first video, there's always room for learning math without the homework.

Reel Physics is to math what Mythbusters is to engineering.

If it's not too controversial, could I get a rough approximation of whether the circumstance is awaiting confirmation of a season 2 and maintaining a generally cordial relationship with the Escapist, or called the night before unceremoniously to say they wouldn't like you back? Because I'm seeing some mixed messages considering you weren't even warned properly and seem to be far from exhausting your ideas.

At any rate, Reel Physics is far and away the best recent show on here outside of the Rhymedown Spectacular, and that's sort of cheating because Yahtzee and Jim are in it (no offence, guys). As a first, I would be bothered following you to a new site if that's what has to happen, although it would be nice if you stayed.

EDIT: Although, if I had to give some criticism (which I think I do, can't only say nice things), the puns were getting a bit too pervasive, and you didn't have to say "Cheese Battle" every time. Brevity.

Regardless of what happens, I enjoyed the show while it lasted, and appreciate how you guys took a usually dry subject and worked so hard to make it fun.

If I ever had to take another physics class... well let's just say you'd be way more fun than Mr. Adams.

Let me add to the Chorus of people asking for more Reel Physics. The show has been superb so far.

Dear Jason Dean and Colby Dane,

I have literally just made an account to tell you how sorry and sad I am to see you guys go (see check out the singular post count on that bad boy). I think it's shocking that this has happened, you made it fun and interesting. Hell you probably did more for physics than most schools do in a kids lifetime. I barely understood anything that you said only that it was science, and I found you did it in such an enjoyable way that I religiously watched your show for the entertainment that you guys worked so hard to weave into the shows.

I will miss the show, and will be glad if and when it gets a season 2.

Thanks guys

Me

Susan Arendt:

Excludos:
This show instantly turned into my favorite series from episode 1. Really disappointed in you Escapist. You don't just go and say "hey guys! you know the show you're doing? Yeah. This episode is the last". At least they're talking about seasons which makes me hopeful it will come back as a season 2. But I still think its bad that they're not being more transparent about this.

Oh. And if there ever comes a season 2. Please don't let it take 2 years like with Lisa Foiles.

Exactly how are we not being transparent? I stated it pretty clearly - we love the show, but not enough people watched it.

Being transparent means you don't get to go "This is the last episode guys! Goodbye!".

I completely understand that you have a business to run here. And that shows with little views, no matter how much you like them, has to go. But it would have been nice with a heads up, so they could have made a proper season finale. Instead we get this short message saying "Yeah. we got axed. We don't really know what to do now. Maybe you'll see us in the future, maybe you wont".

Excludos:

Susan Arendt:

Excludos:
This show instantly turned into my favorite series from episode 1. Really disappointed in you Escapist. You don't just go and say "hey guys! you know the show you're doing? Yeah. This episode is the last". At least they're talking about seasons which makes me hopeful it will come back as a season 2. But I still think its bad that they're not being more transparent about this.

Oh. And if there ever comes a season 2. Please don't let it take 2 years like with Lisa Foiles.

Exactly how are we not being transparent? I stated it pretty clearly - we love the show, but not enough people watched it.

Being transparent means you don't get to go "This is the last episode guys! Goodbye!".

I completely understand that you have a business to run here. And that shows with little views, no matter how much you like them, has to go. But it would have been nice with a heads up, so they could have made a proper season finale. Instead we get this short message saying "Yeah. we got axed. We don't really know what to do now. Maybe you'll see us in the future, maybe you wont".

As soon as we knew, they knew. There isn't anything else I could've done. I understand that you're disappointed that the show is leaving, but kindly don't accuse me of obfuscation. I am always very up front with our contributors.

oh, come on, Escapist, you can't just do that - they make the funniest episode ever in the episode of ever (laughing my ass off in Germany, NOT Iceland :p ), and then drop us with such a downer *sadface*
also: MATHS! PHYSICS! SCIENCE!

i don't know if it's just because of the number of comments or something, but i'd guess these are low because you can't really discuss numbers, aye? and just posting "great episode rock on guys" kind of is low content, so... yeah.
also, when i wanted to do some numbers on my on, i do it on paper with my trusty TI, back here on my desk, not the forum (could you even implement an appropriate calculation font in a forum like this?)

no. thats too bad. i always enjoyed coming home form work and watch your show. even when i still dont understand any of the maths, i can figure it out more or less what you are trying to say.

hope you guys will be back soon. so many movies that need your science.

So far we've collected only 36 signatures on the give us moar Reel Physics petition...lets get that number higher people!!! http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/give-us-moar-reel-physics/

Disappointed to see you guys go. I've recommended the series to a couple of math teacher friends to help inspire their students. Here's hoping for a second season!

Susan Arendt:

Excludos:

Susan Arendt:

As soon as we knew, they knew. There isn't anything else I could've done. I understand that you're disappointed that the show is leaving, but kindly don't accuse me of obfuscation. I am always very up front with our contributors.

I apologize. It just felt very sudden and out of nowhere from where I'm sitting.

Its a shame it had to end so abruptly. I really hope I get to see more from them in the future, whether its here, youtube or elsewhere.

Well, at least we got some warning this time rather than the show going off into the void with no word from anyone....

Anyway, off to subscribe to a pair of Youtube channels.

neo125899:
So far we've collected only 36 signatures on the give us moar Reel Physics petition...lets get that number higher people!!! http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/give-us-moar-reel-physics/

Buddy, while the sentiment is nice, no amount of signatures changes the facts of money. The show does not get enough views to maintain it on this site. Unless these signatures come with money to pay them with it wont change what is.

Urh:
I'm pretty sure 13 g's of acceleration is survivable - Aziz would probably lose consciousness, though. I'm pretty sure John Stapp survived a deceleration in the region of 46 g's. I also remember reading studies on this subject - survivability also depends on the direction of the acceleration - if I recall correctly, humans are especially vulnerable if the acceleration is on a plane parallel to the spine.

^This
A quick google search turns up this article.

Frankly the more interesting physics occur when drag starts kicking in and the unaerodynamic terrorist starts trying to fight against the immense thrust coming from the rocket. Sure, the entire body might not accelerate as fast, but I can't help but feel that the tension at the backpack straps would increase as the rocket continues to put out its constant thrust, but it now is also being pulled in the opposite direction by the flailing passenger.

I'm sorry I didn't give you enough views. I didn't watch some episodes untill later in the week cause I had too much work. I should've watched it at my friends house and at school and at the library ... *calms down*
I will miss this show! Hope you guys come back for another season!

I never quite watched the show consistently but I caught most episodes. I don't have the right kinda brain for calculations or science but the basic ideas game across great and I was always interested and engaged. It's such a shame and quite sad that high quality, well researched content is thrown out but a show that is essentially telemarketing gets to stay.

It's a shame but admittedly I have very little knowledge of physics and watched the show mainly for the entertaining diversions and to find out just how plausible movies are. Still good luck in the future guys and I'll seek you out on the youtubes =]

On a side note can we have a spin-off show called Cheese Battle?

I'm not sure how many bad puns can be made,
but perhaps enough for one episode...

Well damn, you guys and ZP are about the only funny things left here.

Jim Sterling is alright.

love the cheese battle, we need more :)

Escapist, we need this series, please bring them back for a second season!

I was stoked to see you picked this scene - I was one of the people who suggested it, way back in the comments of one of the very first episodes. Then it's over? Too many emotions for one video.

Thanks for answering my question on this scene guys, thanks for all of it

We need more of this show. I've found it to be highly entertaining......plus they deal with all those numbers that make my head hurt. Please hook us up with another season.

Dear Escapist,
Please keep Reel Physics going. Yes I know it doesn't naturally relate to "gaming" but what they do is fun and interesting, as well as scientific. I think it has been a great addition to the Escapist lineup. Please keep them funded!

Thank You!
Monshroud

FargoDog:
I never quite watched the show consistently but I caught most episodes. I don't have the right kinda brain for calculations or science but the basic ideas game across great and I was always interested and engaged. It's such a shame and quite sad that high quality, well researched content is thrown out but a show that is essentially telemarketing gets to stay.

That's because people watch the telemarketing, but not the well-researched content.

Numbers don't lie.

Susan Arendt:

We love this show. Sadly, it didn't attract the audience we'd hoped it would. The people who watched it loved it, but there just weren't enough.

Mrs. Arendt, is there anything that a pub club member might do to help make the show profitable? Or to help get a season two?

this show is great. you guys obviously had a lot of phun, and i think it translated really well to your presentation. it's awesome to see two passionate guys sharing their love of something in a way that so many others can appreciate. i feel that if all math and engineering science had been presented to me in a similar fashion growing up, i would be a super villain by now.

*single tear* i will miss you guys.

Kstarler:

Susan Arendt:

We love this show. Sadly, it didn't attract the audience we'd hoped it would. The people who watched it loved it, but there just weren't enough.

Mrs. Arendt, is there anything that a pub club member might do to help make the show profitable? Or to help get a season two?

Mrs. Arendt is my mom. :)

But in all seriousness, if there was any way to have saved the show, we'd have done it. In the entire time I've worked at The Escapist (which is five years as of last week) there's been exactly one show we were happy to see go. One. We don't enjoy cancelling content; it's heartbreaking to see something you genuinely enjoy go away.

All I can suggest is if you like a show, make sure you watch it every week, and tell your friends about it. Outpourings of support like this are wonderful, but more often than not, the business comes down to simple math.

lacktheknack:

That's because people watch the telemarketing, but not the well-researched content.

Numbers don't lie.

Well, now you just gon' dun made the whole thing sadder.

Though that thing gets about 10 comments at most. I guess it doesn't cost as much to produce. There's some sort of conspiracy to be mapped out there, I'm sure. Like how the host is actually a moon person from the planet Xljyax.

Oh darn, I wanted to eventually see an episode on that idiotic Iron Man 3 people-out-the-airplane scene.

This show didn't make laugh or anything, nothing on this site really does anymore, but I enjoyed it and gave 'em all a watch none-the-less. Some interesting analysis.

Best of luck

Gutted. Absolutely gutted. I loved this show and it instantly got on my must watch list every week.

Susan Arendt:

But in all seriousness, if there was any way to have saved the show, we'd have done it. In the entire time I've worked at The Escapist (which is five years as of last week) there's been exactly one show we were happy to see go. One. We don't enjoy cancelling content; it's heartbreaking to see something you genuinely enjoy go away.

All I can suggest is if you like a show, make sure you watch it every week, and tell your friends about it. Outpourings of support like this are wonderful, but more often than not, the business comes down to simple math.

Thank you for the quick and honest response, Susan. I have some friends who frequent the site every Wednesday, so I will recommend they give Reel Physics a watch while they're here.

Also, you have piqued my curiosity. Are you at liberty to reveal which show you didn't regret cutting?

Kstarler:

Susan Arendt:

Thank you for the quick and honest response, Susan. I have some friends who frequent the site every Wednesday, so I will recommend they give Reel Physics a watch while they're here.

Also, you have piqued my curiosity. Are you at liberty to reveal which show you didn't regret cutting?

First of all, I love you for using "pique" correctly. (I die a little inside every time I see someone using "peak" in that context.) Secondly, of course I won't tell you who it is, silly. But what I will say, just to avoid inevitable speculation, is that I don't mean Extra Credits.

Susan Arendt:

Kstarler:

Susan Arendt:

First of all, I love you for using "pique" correctly. (I die a little inside every time I see someone using "peak" in that context.) Secondly, of course I won't tell you who it is, silly. But what I will say, just to avoid inevitable speculation, is that I don't mean Extra Credits.

Ah but you would say that wouldn't you.... i smell a double bluff! You news editors are canny like that... :D
Are we allowed to take guesses? All you have to do is nod.

My guess is..... I Hit It With My Axe, because that (to me) felt like sleazy pandering.

Also for the next bit i endevoured not to sound aggressive (as that's not my intention) but I'm an Aspie so sorry if it comes across as rude.
How do you guys decide whether a show has enough views? Is it a flat limit, like each shows has to have 10k views per episode? Or is it a sliding scale based on the money you put in? Understand if you can't answer due to some company policy :)

Anakinnnn:
But apparently, the show alienated too many people with the heavy math and calculations and we never truly got a chance at finding a larger audience due to that.

How do you know it was the heavy math? Maybe there was not enough for the target audience?? You can't be sure, because your N is too small for any reasonable kind of confidence interval. I demand a larger N!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here