Nintendo Wants Its Cut

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Nintendo Wants Its Cut

Can someone call Nintendo for me? We've been out of touch for a few years, and I've lost Nintendo's number.

Read Full Article

I love how we persist in believing that publishers (and the odd developer) actually even realise that we, as gamers, exist.

Surely, surely, we've realised that they think we're just ambulatory wallets-of-plenty with no purpose in "life" other than absorbing whatever dross they spew forth while simultaneously shovelling mountains of dosh their way.

No? Really? Oh well... enjoy your next Nintendo/EA/Ubisoft/etc title, I guess.

[edit] Apparently I'm supposed to say "First" or something. This is some sort of law, I suppose. [/edit]

Cannot agree more.

It seems that most japanese based developers/publishers over the last years have tried nothing but being the best at shooting themselves in the foot and alienating the western market as much as possible.

It is as if they want to compete at all costs with EA and the other big western publishers for "stupidest ideas ever"

The difference is that the "western" market is moch more stronger and involves alot more money then the japanese market will ever give.. even if you count other asian countries in the west is still the biggest video game market. Yet asian based developers try everything to alienate a potential gigantic market.

Extremely well summed up Shamus, let's hope the Let's Players follow through on a non-nintendo policy across the board. Maybe the company will realize what an asinine mistake they made.

Bad move, Nintendo, bad, bad move. I'm an avid LP viewer and I see the huge difference in quality between sunday-posters and the dedicated people who are making a living from it. Even "freebies" can post incredible things, but they will not stick to it, which is a shame.

But of course, this won't affect just LPers, it will also affect game reviewers and machinima makers. The latter have it the hardest, as a machinimma is really hard to make properly. I encourage you to watch Glowing Amraam's videos on Youtube. His "Edge - DCS: Black Shark Movie" and Project 10 - DCS: A-10C Movie" are better than any plane movie I've ever seen. He's one of the most talented flight sim machinima creators. Also watch "The Adventures of Bill and John: Ep II", 6 years old but still probably the funniest machinima ever made. Those movie alone helped the respective company sell a LOT of boxes, but without the creators making any money. If they had... imagine the epic goodies we'd see on Youtube.

So yeah, money matters. And Nintendo trying to milk this market is... worse than anything that even EA could ever think. This coming from the family friendly Mario creators just adds salt to an ugly wound.

Also i guess we wont see any college humor with nintendo chars anymore. Since they could claim ownership of that too.. afterall those are their characters right?

This irks me anyways... how can they claim total ownership when part of the video... mainly the commentary is infact owned by the creator of said video.

But this is youtube after getting bought up by google for you i guess...

Imagine what would happen if Microsoft did this when Red vs. Blue was just getting started. No way Halo would have gotten that well known.

Of course, they did actually do this a few years ago. Notice how Halo is no longer the big one in terms of lets-plays and videos, with the title going to Call of Duty.

Bad move, Nintendo. You will not benefit from this in the least.

besides mabye ea, nothing angers gamers faster than messing with their internet.

Nintendo is being stupid and I'm not sure what to think of it.

However taking a reeeeeaaaalllly long term optimist view, maybe Nintendo will go out of business sell it's assets including the Poke'mon franchise and we can get some decent Poke'mon games on something other than the latest Gameboy.

Apparently the Japanse think this is the only acceptable to make money from Americans that involves their software.

This is greed and not just corporate greed this is Saturday Morning Cartoon villain Stupid greed. Seriously this almost sounds like something I'd expect the villains from captain planet to come up with.

They have done the equivalent of charging the person who gave them a free sandwich for the privilege of giving them that free sandwich. Who at nintendo even had the braid fart to suggest this and why wasn't he shaolin kung fu'ed to within an inch of his life?

benefit, Nintendo will have no benefit, not only with this dissuade the creation of new content but I can see many content creators taking down all their nintendo stuff just to make sure nintendo never sees a penny in revenue.

Maybe they're trying to out-EA EA? I can see that board meeting:

Exec: EA is one of the beggest companies in the gaming industry, the world quakes when they fart. We need to be that big and rich so we need to be like them. Now they make a lot of stupid decisions so we need to make twice as many even stupider decisions. First The Wii U, we put a screen on the controller and then for 3rd party devel0opers to incorporate it. Anyone else have ideas?

While I don't have a clue whose in the legal right here, and certainly don't have any copyright law knowledge to hazard a guess much less judge this grey area, Nintendo has indeed done more damage to themselves than anybody with this move for one simple reason: their competitor's products are now superior to theirs in at least that aspect.

If they're trying to make money from this it's going to fail because no one's going to work for free for Nintendo when other companies are satisfied to leave them be, and if this is about defending copyright then (like all other attempts, legally justified or no) the best its going to achieve is killing coverage of their games outside major outlets. And while those major outlets certainly have their place, I know watching someone actually play a game is a lot better at selling it to me than more typical reviews are.

[edit] oh, and of course, legally right or not, financially right or not, it's always a risk to take any action that spurs this much contempt from the customers.

I don't think we'll see anything noteworthy in this stage, or at least loud enough to get the point across.

Thanks to its reputation within the general (not gamer) public of their first party games mostly being child friendly/centric, I don't think Nintendo will suffer as bad from the backlash of LPer's not doing videos on their games. Parents (at least the smart ones) know what keywords to focus on when buying for their kids. However, when a third party WiiU Exclusive or another large company (maybe EA or SE, though I doubt they are THAT stupid; Konami or Capcom however....) tries to copy Nintendo's brain fart, then we'll see how badly this move can affect their sales.

You can't say "everyone knows exactly what happens in a Nintendo game" just because you know the general premise the series is based around. I play for gameplay *and* to "see how they turn out". Just a small gripe, though - the article as a whole was good, agreed with it all :)

Advertisements will will, typo!!!

Thank me later. Though it is obvious that a cabal of aging Japanese men came together and in between getting their feeding tubes changed and their human skin masks grafted back on for a public appearance decided that they should probably profit of this Intornit thing the young people keep talking about.

5 minutes later they implemented it and their inbox exploded with angry letters, e-mails and semi-threatening youtube posts.

Nintendo, I'm not happy with you. You've joined the ranks of EA, Activision, and Square-Enix among others as being corporate douchebags and I always thought you were better than that. Not only that, but this is quite possibly one of the stupidest decisions you could possibly make. You're going to cut yourselves off from a wealth of free marketing and potential sales because you feel your copyrights are being infringed upon? Really?

Who cares. Nintendo will eventually go the way of Sega anyway. They really don't understand how modern industry works. FFS all their consoles are region locked! And you've just noticed they're out of touch?

You know, this is kind of a low hanging fruit. Demanding monetary gain? What happened to the Nintendo flushed with Wii/DS/3DS cash? Have they made one too many missteps before WiiU started earning it back?

MisterM2402:
You can't say "everyone knows exactly what happens in a Nintendo game" just because you know the general premise the series is based around. I play for gameplay *and* to "see how they turn out". Just a small gripe, though - the article as a whole was good, agreed with it all :)

You better be careful, nintendo may charge you for using that avatar.

OT: I am generally a Nintendo fan and have been since I first got an NES, but this is the exact thing that can turn away a lifelong fan of their exclusive series. I mean i am one of the few people who bought a Wii-U already, mostly coz it has playbackability and i skipped the Wii. This little stunt of theirs has almost convinced me to do a LP video of me smashing it to hell.

Irridium:
Imagine what would happen if Microsoft did this when Red vs. Blue was just getting started. No way Halo would have gotten that well known.

Of course, they did actually do this a few years ago. Notice how Halo is no longer the big one in terms of lets-plays and videos, with the title going to Call of Duty.

Bad move, Nintendo. You will not benefit from this in the least.

And officially Microsoft won't do that. I just watched the special live announcement of the new Xbox, Xbox One.

Like Sony, they are going to let people share gaming videos. With Xbox One, with every game, players will have the ability to view and record playbacks just like players have done with the last few Halo games, and then share them with their friends and the world.

------------------

Oh Nintendo, you are turning out to truly be one of the most clueless companies in the industry.

The sad part for me is that I was gathering up a large backlog of games off of E-Bay, mostly NES, SNES, and Gameboy games to possibly use in the future for my own youtube gaming channel, oh well, looks like I will have to find something else to do with the channel I'm planning.

Heck, I was even going to get a Wii U eventually along side one of the other consoles, but with what I watched with the latest reveal of Xbox One, all I have to say is....."Bye bye Nintendo, it's been nice knowing you while you were sane".

Thank you. Thank you so much for this article

I have seen far too many Nintendo apologists banging on about it being copyrighted material, it being Nintendo & YouTube's decision to make, & any other reason they can think up that won't alienate them at the next Nintendo press event.

I've observed shockingly few people publicly saying, right-wrong-or-indifferent, what a horrible idea this is.

I've watch many LP's that impressed me; I then purchased the game I just saw

Nintendo has been skating on the goodwill of nostalgia for a long time and, for a lot of fans, it just ran out.

Orekoya:

Shamus Young:
Nintendo Wants Its Cut

Can someone call Nintendo for me? We've been out of touch for a few years, and I've lost Nintendo's number.

Read Full Article

Karadalis:
Cannot agree more.

Right out of my mouth.

It's such a stupid, stupid move. It's sad they don't even try to take part of the funds or strike a partial deal. By trying to completely take it all they've completely cut themselves out. Good job guys...good sad little job.

I remember a time when people weren't paid to do Let's Plays. They made the videos solely because they wanted to show people a game they may not have heard about. Now, when you tell people they aren't getting paid, they're all butt hurt about it and refuse to play the game, even if they love it. If getting paid is the reason you do video LP's then I don't think you should be doing them in the first place. Also, plenty of people WILL be doing Nintendo games after this. Not because they get paid to do it, but because they love doing it. At least Nintendo isn't being like Sega, and just removing the videos outright without warning and shutting channels down.

If you want a really good discussion on this, I recommend this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYplcqazWCA

It's a good point that Nintendo is behind the curve of internet workings. Nintendo have always been playing catch-up on the online front. On the other hand, Nintendo has always been good at judging it's audience so I still find the move somewhat surprising.

I can only imagine that people are taking down their Nintendo Let's Play videos so as to avoid giving them any money or exposure. I know that would be one of my first moves.

Zombie_Moogle:

I have seen far too many Nintendo apologists banging on about it being copyrighted material, it being Nintendo & YouTube's decision to make, & any other reason they can think up that won't alienate them at the next Nintendo press event.

I've observed shockingly few people publicly saying, right-wrong-or-indifferent, what a horrible idea this is.

Nintendo has been skating on the goodwill of nostalgia for a long time and, for a lot of fans, it just ran out.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not a Nintendo fan, because I am, but I don't have a blind devotion. If they screw up, I will admit they screwed up (I'm looking at you Metroid: Other M). That said, I don't think what they did was this horrible.

I will admit that Nintendo really should have handled this better, but I don't think they're bad people because of it.
Nothing will change about this other than some people won't get paid to show someone else's content. When did Let's Plays become less about showing people a game you really love to other people and more about the cash? And is Nintendo really going to alienate all of its fans because some people aren't getting paid to play their games on Youtube? Is this going to affect the casual market? Are people going to stop buying their games simply because people aren't getting paid to play them? Are the videos going to be gone? No.

Was this handled very well, not really. But by people not getting paid to play the game, more quality LPs will probably be noticed because the person isn't playing it for the money, they're playing it because they like the game. At least Nintendo wasn't like Sega, who outright flagged, and as a result, destroyed several channels just for the mere mention of a game.
If you want more on this topic, I recommend you listen to this podcast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYplcqazWCA

Great! Maybe Nintendo can finally either get its act together or just die off and let it's IP go to people who actually love it. They just pump out stale IP and bad consoles.

SoDaRa:
I remember a time when people weren't paid to do Let's Plays. They made the videos solely because they wanted to show people a game they may not have heard about. Now, when you tell people they aren't getting paid, they're all butt hurt about it and refuse to play the game, even if they love it. If getting paid is the reason you do video LP's then I don't think you should be doing them in the first place. Also, plenty of people WILL be doing Nintendo games after this. Not because they get paid to do it, but because they love doing it. At least Nintendo isn't being like Sega, and just removing the videos outright without warning and shutting channels down.

If you want a really good discussion on this, I recommend this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYplcqazWCA

I can only recommend to get an Something Awful account and follow the LP's there. I don't know how and when a hobby of showing videogames that you like turned into a business but the whole entitlement of wanting to get get paid for anothers copyrighted material is simply baffling. Everyone acts as if all LP's make money of it and therefore will stop showing of nintendo games ...

One of the most disturbing things was seeing Notch's tweet referring to a meeting where YouTube offered up the ad revenues for every Minecraft LP out there. Looking at it from this point of view, if someone from YouTube says to someone at Nintendo, "Here, we want to give you a ton of free money, and you don't have to lift a finger.", are you gonna be the person at Nintendo to turn that down?

And WTH is YouTube doing making these kind of offers behind the backs of its own content creators? Why is this not getting more scrutiny?

Robetid:

MisterM2402:

You better be careful, nintendo may charge you for using that avatar.

OT: I am generally a Nintendo fan and have been since I first got an NES, but this is the exact thing that can turn away a lifelong fan of their exclusive series. I mean i am one of the few people who bought a Wii-U already, mostly coz it has playbackability and i skipped the Wii. This little stunt of theirs has almost convinced me to do a LP video of me smashing it to hell.

What changed because they did this? Is the fact that you and other people aren't getting PAID to play their games mean that now you can't do them or they aren't good games? If you're buying and playing games just to get some cash, then I don't really get why you even play games. Isn't the point of an LP to show people a game they may never have seen before, or to present it in a new way? And what did the WiiU do in order to deserve being smashed? I'm sorry, but I just find it weird idea to buy a game, and expect to make money from it. I mean its not like you worked 4 years painstakingly adjusting the mechanics for them to be fun.

SoDaRa:

Zombie_Moogle:

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not a Nintendo fan, because I am, but I don't have a blind devotion. If they screw up, I will admit they screwed up (I'm looking at you Metroid: Other M). That said, I don't think what they did was this horrible.

I will admit that Nintendo really should have handled this better, but I don't think they're bad people because of it.
Nothing will change about this other than some people won't get paid to show someone else's content. When did Let's Plays become less about showing people a game you really love to other people and more about the cash? And is Nintendo really going to alienate all of its fans because some people aren't getting paid to play their games on Youtube? Is this going to affect the casual market? Are people going to stop buying their games simply because people aren't getting paid to play them? Are the videos going to be gone? No.

Was this handled very well, not really. But by people not getting paid to play the game, more quality LPs will probably be noticed because the person isn't playing it for the money, they're playing it because they like the game. At least Nintendo wasn't like Sega, who outright flagged, and as a result, destroyed several channels just for the mere mention of a game.
If you want more on this topic, I recommend you listen to this podcast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYplcqazWCA

I gotta disagree

It's not that Nintendo's evil for doing this, it's that they're stupid. LP's a free advertising as far as most developers are concerned & that'll be drying up for Nintendo. It's not that people are gonna be upset over not getting an extra couple bucks from a Mario LP, it's that people will stop doing Mario LP's all together to avoid the hassle.

I can guarantee I'm not the only one who's made game-purchase decisions based on an LP. That's lost sales for Nintendo.

SoDaRa:

But this isn't really going to hurt a lot of Let's Play (LP) producers like it would hurt Nintendo. It might hurt that some of their content won't give them any revenue, but they can always start another game that isn't in Nintendo's library. And while there are some people that will still do an LP for a Nintendo game, that isn't the majority of LP producers. Some of them treat this as a serious job that needs compensation of some way, and if they are not going to get paid, then they won't do LPs for games in Nintendo's library.

This is going to hurt Nintendo in the long run. People do LPs right now because its their only way of earning income, and they can still do this by playing some other game. That won't hurt me as an LP watcher or any of these LP producers as they can earn ad-revenue somewhere else. But this is going to remove a major publicity field for Nintendo-based games, and make LP producers -- possibly ANY Youtube producer -- scared of mentioning Nintendo otherwise they get no revenue for their Machinima/reviews/discussions.

Yeah, Nintendo isn't being like Sega. Nintendo just passed Sega in being worse.

MoltenSilver:
While I don't have a clue whose in the legal right here, and certainly don't have any copyright law knowledge to hazard a guess much less judge this grey area, Nintendo has indeed done more damage to themselves than anybody with this move for one simple reason: their competitor's products are now superior to theirs in at least that aspect.

If they're trying to make money from this it's going to fail because no one's going to work for free for Nintendo when other companies are satisfied to leave them be, and if this is about defending copyright then (like all other attempts, legally justified or no) the best its going to achieve is killing coverage of their games outside major outlets. And while those major outlets certainly have their place, I know watching someone actually play a game is a lot better at selling it to me than more typical reviews are.

[edit] oh, and of course, legally right or not, financially right or not, it's always a risk to take any action that spurs this much contempt from the customers.

If this was to protect their copyrights, then why didn't they just remove the videos entirely? And what about Let's Plays before they made money? Didn't they make videos about Nintendo games and not get paid for it? And don't the people who work for 4 years on a game have a right to decide who can make a profit on it? I'm not implying they should remove bad reviews, but if people are making a profit by LPing a game they hate, or just make fart jokes at it, do they not have a right to say they don't want that? I mean if you worked 4 years on a horror game and someone completely destroys the atmosphere for people seeing the game for the first time by making random jokes about irrelevant stuff, is it wrong of the developer to say they don't want that video to be making that person a profit?

I do love it when i see companies digging their own graves. Nintendo haven't been relevant to me since the super nintendo entertainment system. safe to say i have no stake in their well being.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here