Zero Punctuation: System Shock 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

System Shock 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews System Shock 2.

Watch Video

I wonder what they'll write on the Xbone's gravestone.

Some times I feel like it was a good thing that I only started gaming in the mid 2000s and missed games like these otherwise I might not have stuck with this hobby.

I'm gonna be "that guy" and say that GOG.com had SS2 before Steam. I'm guessing implementing the DRM took that extra month or so longer.

Boy am I glad I didn't buy this game, since it seems to include everything I hate about old school pc gaming, in particularly I hate it when games become unwinnable forcing you to either save every 10 seconds or look up a guide.

A better game than Infinite imo, I always see SS2 as Deus Ex but with horror replacing the stealth focus.

Loved this, and the original, though the original is pretty cumbersome.

Am I the only one distinctly creeped out by the idea that someone seriously wanted bare breasts to ogle on a horrifically mutilated fusion of woman and machine? Seriously, those things are not meant to be sexy.

But GOG released System shock 2 ages before Steam and if it wasn't for the guys at GOG going through all the legal trouble, Steam wouldn't have it either.

DVS BSTrD:

"We were distracted by shiny objects rather than addressing the demands of the people.", I imagine.

I have a feeling that pretty soon the only things PC gamers will have to do is play MMORPGs, MOBAs, and reminisce about the old days. And will be looked upon by the rest of gaming society as akin to the savages from the novel Brave New World.

Any chance you'll do a retro review of Resident Evil 4 aka "the only good one", Yahtzee? I would save you the trouble of reviewing the Xbone since most of humanity has written it off as an epic fail.

Holy shit Yahtzee, a ZP of my favourite game of all time? How did you know my birthday was coming up?

The main thing I remember is how fucking dreadful the music was from that shit game. Maybe it was trying to make me fear the robots more due to their ability to torture me with sound. Don't understand why people liked that game so much as its boring and poorly balanced with only a few interesting points with the game world. Thank god for modern shooter controls.

Say, does a new generation mean that Yahtzee is going to do another Console Rundown?

I have an idea for Yahtzee.

If you ever run out of things to retro review, why not review the most popular entries (or first entry if you need to know the plot) in series you never reviewed before. I'd to love see your review of the Katamari games.

tardcore:
I have a feeling that pretty soon the only things PC gamers will have to do is play MMORPGs, MOBAs, and reminisce about the old days. And will be looked upon by the rest of gaming society as akin to the savages from the novel Brave New World.

And with the increased dev costs of AAA titles for the One and PS4, the only things console gamers will have to do is play modern military shooters and Madden, because almost nothing else will be profitable. Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with the growing PC indie scene.

Awesome review. I've always liked Yahtzee's retro reviews he makes on occasion.

Almack:
Some times I feel like it was a good thing that I only started gaming in the mid 2000s and missed games like these otherwise I might not have stuck with this hobby.

just out of curiosity, how exactly would system shock 2 turn you off gaming?

i think i have only ever really finished SS2 twice, once the first time i played it and once to prove you can finish the game psy-only. i usually stop playing towards the end of the rickenbacker because i missed an egg and can't be bothered to re-check everywhere. or in the body of the many because by that point whether you can finish the game or not is determined by what you have left in your inventory and i either go: no, not happening or yep, no need to play it through

Great review for a great game.
I agree about the sound of the cameras, but the sound of a monkey scared me just as much. They could shoot fireballs, were a small target, and I'd almost always have to run down a hallway to smack them with the crystal, only to miss and get bitch slapped by it.

It's already been mentioned twice, but GOG did all the hard work and had SS2 months before Steam. I was disappointed when I saw that SS2 was now on Steam as well and am disappointed in Yahtzee for crediting Steam.

You know I do not think the Xbox one is not going to fail that hard. IF Microsoft does not realize what they have done and change the way they make games it will defiantly crash and burn. However what I am seeing with the reveal yesterday is that they are trying to sell the "ONE" as a user friendly average joes PC. It can do everything you use your computer for (not really) and is voice activated with no fuss of swapping out video cards.

What this will mean in practice is that the divide between PC gamer and console gamer will be solidified and console gamers will probably just be gamers. Meaning us pure and superior PC gamers will need to change our nich name to something techy like "Massive Ballox lords" or something like that. But seriously this also means that Microsoft and Sony are going to have to market games to the average joe and expect the sales figures to follow accordingly.

But I know that these companies are too greedy to realize that their consumer base is shifting and that they are driving it themselves.

Falseprophet:

tardcore:

And with the increased dev costs of AAA titles for the One and PS4, the only things console gamers will have to do is play modern military shooters and Madden, because almost nothing else will be profitable. Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with the growing PC indie scene.

I think the fallout from a combination of overpriced AAA titles with hit-or-miss value coupled with strict/punitive new rules about used games on consoles should be interesting to watch - from the sidelines with a mid-range PC and Steam/GOG accounts.

Windknight:
Loved this, and the original, though the original is pretty cumbersome.

Am I the only one distinctly creeped out by the idea that someone seriously wanted bare breasts to ogle on a horrifically mutilated fusion of woman and machine? Seriously, those things are not meant to be sexy.

Also who would have time to ogle when these things are screeching at you about the "Little ones" and running at you down a dark hallway shooting plasma.

Falseprophet:

tardcore:

And you beat me to the reply to this post.

As for System Shock 2, I picked it up on GOG and damn it is a tough game. Actually had to set it aside for a bit and play something a little more user friendly. It's like the game actively hates you as you play it.

Falseprophet:

tardcore:

I have to agree. I do admit the Kickstarter indie generation of gaming is looking promising. But so far that's mostly all we have, promises.

A typical Yahtzee review for a good game: "It's a bit shit." I love these reviews, but I am worried that the poor guy is getting so used to picking apart games that it's retroactively ruining his entertainment.

I remember buying this game about 3 or 4 years ago and being thoroughly... disappointed.

This game has not aged well. Maybe it's because I knew that shocking twist, but then again that didn't stop Fight Club from being amazing.

Another one of those classics, alongside Half Life, that have not aged that well.

themilo504:
Boy am I glad I didn't buy this game, since it seems to include everything I hate about old school pc gaming, in particularly I hate it when games become unwinnable forcing you to either save every 10 seconds or look up a guide.

Agreed.

I've always been on the fence about trying this classic game out but this critique did a good job of bringing the reality of the experience to life.

I finished SS2 several times...

I actually really liked this episode Zero Punctuation. Yahtzee got the game down pretty much 100% how I remembered it: Getting blown up by kamikaze robots and then realizing I put too many points into the tech tree... right before going into the intestines of the underworld.

This game gave me an irrational fear of chimpanzees.

No, really, it did.

This game gave me an irrational fear of chimpanzees.

No, really, it did.

Mentat_Tir:
This game gave me an IRRATIONAL fear...

I see what you did there.

DVS BSTrD:

One satisfied customer?

Thunderous Cacophony:
A typical Yahtzee review for a good game: "It's a bit shit." I love these reviews, but I am worried that the poor guy is getting so used to picking apart games that it's retroactively ruining his entertainment.

I don't know, a lot of people seem to be losing their nostalgia goggles on this one, so maybe it just wasn't all that good retrospectively. I can't see this as a problem with Yahtzee.

Huh, well that was lukewarm. Don't think I'll be getting this one after all.

After pre-purchasing DXHR I finally pulled myself through DX1, and while it had some nice things going for it, dear lord had the basic gameplay aged poorly and oh my god that story and setting is so incredibly cheesy. I could see the stuff people really liked about it, and would've liked it if some of those elements would be carried over to modern times, but I dunno if that knowledge was worth playing the game.

So after he gave Systemshock 2 an even harder time I'm pretty reluctant about this.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here