Zero Punctuation: System Shock 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Every now and then I very much enjoy a modern, snarky, cynical game reviewer going back to a well liked game that happens to have been out of circulation for a long time (thus enhancing the myth of its brilliance) only to find out that apparently streamlining isn't always bad and most of the "dumbed down" sequels are actually much better designed.

Don't get me wrong, I love old games. Loved them then, because I'm old. Now... some hold up and some don't, and they don't always line up with what I thought at the time. System Shock 2 is a game you want to replay in the way you want to go to an ancient history museum. It's *interesting*, but you're definitely not engaged the way the original audience was.

So yeah, after how divisive Infinite turned out to be, seeing this is pretty nice.

MichaelPalin:
What the...? You use Steam and complain about pre-owned shenanigans in consoles? Steam did block second hand use since it started.

When they give us nearly new games for 5 to 10 $, we will stop to complain too, I think :)

One more review of this quality and I'm looking at the antipodean equivalent of Total Biscuit.

If having 17 year old graphics was a negative point worth mentioning in a review, then all of B'Y'C's games should have been aborted at birth. Unless you consider 'Booty' on the Spectrum to have been the graphical height of games where you can go up, down, left or right.

More praise for System Shock 2, more reason to hurry up and buy it.

Windknight:
Am I the only one distinctly creeped out by the idea that someone seriously wanted bare breasts to ogle on a horrifically mutilated fusion of woman and machine? Seriously, those things are not meant to be sexy.

You could argue it makes them even more horrifying >.>.

Nouw:
More praise for System Shock 2, more reason to hurry up and buy it.

Windknight:
Am I the only one distinctly creeped out by the idea that someone seriously wanted bare breasts to ogle on a horrifically mutilated fusion of woman and machine? Seriously, those things are not meant to be sexy.

You could argue it makes them even more horrifying >.>.

considering they gave her a pretty face too...

Its just the way they were with the flesh parts mostly skinless was rather horrific and made their point very well.

Seriously? didn't Finnish it?

I did on each character multiple times...

gonna d/l it now as its on steam.

RyQ_TMC:
I'm gonna be "that guy" and say that GOG.com had SS2 before Steam. I'm guessing implementing the DRM took that extra month or so longer.

Oh, hi there, Stallman.

SS2 is literally just downloaded onto your harddrive by Steam. If you go to the SteamApps-folder, you can just doubleclick the .exe file and start the game, Steam not being the slightest bit involved. You're spewing shit over something you know nothing about, and that slightly infuriates me.

Finished SS2 in co-op and single player. #justsaying

nuff said

I bought the game shortly after this review was posted. Still haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here