Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

heheh, ass from its elbows. My Avatar is increasingly appropriate if you keep pushing these Blackadder quotes.

The golfclap did me in. You have an amazing sense of comedic timing, Jim.

Excellent job. I have nothing to say, because you've said it all for me.

Delcast:
Snip

Why can't I compare them, they are two next-generation console reveals, are they not?

And, taking the presentations themselves alone, I found them pretty much equally as disappointing.

As for all the other shit surrounding it, I'll wait until the dust settles a bit before that considering all the contradictory shit that has been going around that I've seen.

SupahGamuh:
RIP Console Gaming: 1985 - 2013

I'm not giving up on gaming just yet, far from it, the handheld territory is more exciting than ever and my PC is already brimming with tons of games (I'm seriously considering on getting a 1 or 2 TB harddrive), both old and new (thank God for GOG... and Jim of course).

Best of luck for the new console generation, I'm not gonna miss it.

Are we counting the OUYA as part of this gen? I mean... the biggest thing that might happen might be these companies thinking they have these things locked and getting lax and lame, and the little guy actually having better *games*.

Meanwhile, they were excited about voice commands... something my TV has had since the late 90s via my computer.

Really?

Don't get me wrong, it's a decent feature to not have to switch between inputs to go to TV but unless it's also a DVR then it's only a feature because I like things that save me even small hassles. But that's a pretty darn minor feature.

I think it's just them being really proud at having arrived at being a one-stop media center. This has been the goal started with the current generation. To make sure anything on the TV goes through that box. Hurray, they can celebrate that land mark. But they didn't put any focus on making that service better and I have yet to throw a tantrum of rage at having to press the input button on my remote to switch to cable. Now, if it allowed me to play my PS4 through the Xbox 1 then...

So they require online connection once a day? *sigh* That had better come with an anti-theft feature. I wonder what kind of information they get when we do that? Big brother is watching and all that.

Dance for us!

Thinking about the fact that the console is probably going to cost around $350 plus having to buy the extra controllers, online passes, extra storage, etc.. The price starts being similar to a "decent" PC rig which has all the freedom and upgrade-ability that you could ask for.

It just seems like they should have been pushing the actual gaming experience (the full room display, head tracking, better online gamer profiles, etc...) instead everything they talked about was everything but games.

FFP2:
MS pretty much made my choice clear when all they showed was TV, Sports and COD.

PC and the Wii U will keep me going through next gen.

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Now I see why nintendo isn't even bothering with an E3 big presentation like Sony and Microsoft, even if their system isn't selling that great the "next gen" consoles are digging themselves an early grave.

The Ps4 also has the potential for always online DRM but its left to the publishers not the console. However, seeing how publisher react today I can't help but feel its almost a certainty for system sellers to have some form of DRM crap on the Ps4 (my opinion of course).

Of course the no backwards compatibility without cloud or peripheral crap and the lack of interesting exclusive IP's is enough for me to wait 3-4 years for the Ps4 to get their act together before I even consider purchasing.

Edit: I'll laugh if Jim was right and WiiU wins this console gen

I just thought about something else. I own a 360 and not a PS3. Considering that I will not be able to play my old 360 games on the Xbone I will have to maintain that console regardless. BUT if I want to buy a next gen console I have no real incentive to pick the Xbone over the PS4 considering that whatever I buy is going to be a fresh system anyway.

So nice work there Microsoft, because of your lack of backwards compatibility if I am only going to buy one console I can consider the PS4 because they are equal to me.

Either way I'll just play on the PC anyway though.

Aitamen:

I almost forgot the Ouya exists, but the way I see it, it still has a looooong way of demonstrating that it can be a viable "console", in my opinion, I consider it as nothing more than an experiment on making mobile gaming into proper console gaming, wich I don't see much sense considering anyone can get a much more powerful tablet and connect it to their TVs, heck, with a bit of techy snafu, you can even connect a 360 controller and voilą, you have a nice little console.

Love the little facepalm on dafoe when jim was clapping.

I don't know why I'd want to buy a pc/tv that can't be upgraded and has a bunch of pay walls...why does Microsoft think I would?

- Catastrophically bad reveal conference
- THE PRESS WEREN'T THE ONES CHEERING AT THE CONFERENCE
- No B/C
- Semi-Always Online
- Can't work without Kinect
- Live TV requires separate device and it's U.S. only
- Second hand games fee may or may not be a thing, tho probably is since it was the VP of Microsoft who says it is the case. Though Xbox Support contradicted itself like a champ on their twitter on this matter.
- Fee is price of full game, btw.
- No replacable hard drive
- Xbox One won't allow indy devs to self-publish games
- Sony stocks go up, Microsoft stocks go down.
- Fish. Moving out of the way.

It's safe to say that the Xbawks Juan is as good as dead unless Microsoft engages in a massive overhaul for E3. Or before E3 even.

So, EA drops their always on DRM and MS adds a mutated form of it. I know these new consoles haven't exactly been stacking up well against modest-priced PCs but this is a serious step backward. If I can afford a console this holiday season (big IF) I will not be buying this one. Exclusives don't interest me. Features like TV bonus content and services don't interest me. I've never used Netflix, preferring good ole hard copies. Living in tornado alley there will be times I'll have network lines disconnected, and in those times I'll be needing a console that works fine without one. So for my money it'll be PS4.

I have always maintained that most AAA developers conceptualize the games market by holding to the idea that they are not selling you a product but a license to use said product. This is just a extreme logical extension to the eula, drm, always on progression. Microsoft is just giving developers what they want: A way to kill the used games market and game sharing/trading on the consoles.

Furthermore, Microsoft is not aiming to capture the market consisting of most gamers who grew up with the xbox and the 360. It's done with those people. What they want are the 16-22 always online, ADD generation and the marketing speak reeks, as Jim pointed out, of the over 30 crowd trying to look cool in front of the kiddies.

It will definitely bomb in market-share with the hardcore and core gamer audience but I think they expect that to happen and someone or a group on someones took a look at the numbers and decided that they could make up those sales by appealing to the casual market, the millennials, the call-of-duty bros and the madden-ites.

GAunderrated:

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Now I see why nintendo isn't even bothering with an E3 big presentation like Sony and Microsoft, even if their system isn't selling that great the "next gen" consoles are digging themselves an early grave.

The Ps4 also has the potential for always online DRM but its left to the publishers not the console. However, seeing how publisher react today I can't help but feel its almost a certainty for system sellers to have some form of DRM crap on the Ps4 (my opinion of course).

Of course the no backwards compatibility without cloud or peripheral crap and the lack of interesting exclusive IP's is enough for me to wait 3-4 years for the Ps4 to get their act together before I even consider purchasing.

I keep forgetting that the Wii U has FULL BC with the Wii and that we can buy used games. And that they're the only ones that have been honest with us throughout the U's launch. It's sad to think that stuff like that was the norm in the good ol' days.

They went to the top of my wishlist after they refused to let EA put Origin on the U.

OT: I rarely agree with Jim but I sincerely hope that nintendo wins another generation in a row.

this is going to cause some issues for the guys over at rooster teeth

You have to wonder who exactly Microsoft think their audience is. Among the overbearing talk of TV, TV, TV, the games they showed off mainly appealed to the trash talking wreak who buy CoD and sports games every year and considering those very same games are coming out for current systems as well, why the hell would they get an Xbox One?

Even if they can exclusively focus on talking games in future now they've got the box out of the way, something Sony has to still address (and I doubt they're going to be perfect angels, though they will likely be angels at least in comparison), but the horrendous taste Microsoft's left in the mouths of those who are likely to go out on day one and buy the thing will take a hell of a lot to shift, especially with it being revealed indie devs can't self publish on on the XbOne (something I imagine Microsoft opened up with when they revealed the system to major publishers)

FFP2:

GAunderrated:

I keep forgetting that the Wii U has FULL BC with the Wii and that we can buy used games. And that they're the only ones that have been honest with us throughout the U's launch. It's sad to think that stuff like that was the norm in the good ol' days.

They went to the top of my wishlist after they refused to let EA put Origin on the U.

OT: I rarely agree with Jim but I sincerely hope that nintendo wins another generation in a row.

His wii U video ended up being spot on.
People aren't understanding what it actually is as Iwata put it.
Also can we get a gif of Jim clapping there?

OK. At least we can try and program a wrapper for the executables. With luck and dlls, it's even going to run in WINE.

With Microsoft slowly going down the drain (and thank god for that), my advice is: look if there are drivers for Linux for your particular GFX card. I'd also consider looking at Kubuntu (which looks and feels enough like Windows to be usable by somebody who used to use Windows). I also recommend Enlightenment as a GUI, but that one can get slightly more confusing. Also, Linux doesn't have any of that activation business one has to go through with all MS products nowadays.

MisterColeman:
I watch sports in a bar or at a friend's. I don't play CoD. I also do not have a subscription to TV, and frankly I don't even like dogs. I play video and board games.

Clearly, as a gamer, I'm not their target demographic.

You're not their target demographic simply because you're a gamer. Microsoft doesn't care about us any more.

I have to sift through so much shit on my Xbox 360 dashboard just to find video game related content it's untrue. I can't imagine that getting any worse.

This is the exact same reason I hate smart phones; they do so much irrelevant stuff all at once that they actually forgot their core function is to be a phone.

I chalked this up to being like Ford releasing a new car and only talking about how awesome Pandora is going to sound on the stereo...

Jimothy Sterling:
Xbox One out of Ten

The Xbox One was revealed this weak to thunderous applause. Oh wait, did we say applause? We meant, farts. Thunderous farts.

Watch Video

thanks Jimothy for two Jimquisitions in one week, and agree with everything said, except the praise of PS4, everything they've shown so far doesnt seem too exciting or game focused either

It's too bad Valve isn't publicly traded, because they are about to make an absolute metric fuck-ton of money and I would love to be in on that.

GrimHeaper:

His wii U video ended up being spot on.
People aren't understanding what it actually is as Iwata put it.
Also can we get a gif of Jim clapping there?

We should just have a gif of Jim laughing like a maniac and put it up when the gaming industry inevitably crashes.

I hope that MS have the same problem and people confuse this "entertainment device" with the original Xbox. They deserve all the shit that they're currently getting.

OT: I would just like to point out that the "Trending" tab is before the "Gaming" tab in the new dashboard. MS thinks that we give more of a fuck about what our friends are playing than what we are actually playing.

Ickabod:
I just thought about something else. I own a 360 and not a PS3. Considering that I will not be able to play my old 360 games on the Xbone I will have to maintain that console regardless. BUT if I want to buy a next gen console I have no real incentive to pick the Xbone over the PS4 considering that whatever I buy is going to be a fresh system anyway.

So nice work there Microsoft, because of your lack of backwards compatibility if I am only going to buy one console I can consider the PS4 because they are equal to me.

Either way I'll just play on the PC anyway though.

I've been thinking about this and I also have all systems including a powerful PC. I've always preferred Playstation dashboard to the 360 one. The 360 was always so cluttered and the ps3 was simple and linear. God forbid I ever had the volume up and accidentally moved the selector over an add or whatever they're called on the 360 (that box that if you hover over it for a second in suddenly launches a video you didn't ask for).

I'm genuinely surprised that Sony's console has recieved so much praise. People really disliked a lot of choices Sony made last gen (myself included) so I was expecting some more "fanboy" outlash. But it seems like most of us are on the same page, even those of us with a soft spot for Microsoft's system.

Maybe the playstation just hasn't revealed some of the features we're pissed at Xbone on now.

I just noticed Willem DaFoe was facepalming through the slow clap.

GIF please.

Yeah, I don't see any value in the new Xbox. I don't watch TV and I haven't paid a cable/sat bill in over 7 years. I can get Netflix on my current consoles and the PS3 lets me watch DVD's and Blu Rays.

BTW, do you know you are quite popular on NeoGaf Jim?

As someone who doesn't watch tv until it hits netflix, doesn't play console games online, doesn't like sports, and doesn't have the money to pay full price for new games, I have to say this: I am not even angry.

Know why?

Because it is clear that I am no longer the target demographic. I am not the consumer they are looking for. And considering I have 3 other options (PC, PS4, WiiU), that's fine. My only fear is that this console does not tank and other companies go on to copy it. This thing needs to get thrashed at market.

Laughing Man:

WHAT'S THIS?JIM BEING A DUMBASS?NO WAY?!
I like how he said this is gonna be a console for the rich and he doesn't even know the price.I also like how he went on to bash a console for having MORE OPTIONS!HOW IS HAVING TV,INTERNET,MOVIES,MUSIC BAD?!

Did you actually watch the episode. He prefaced the comment about it being for the rich by highlighting the casualties of having an always on console, most of which were either of a charitable nature or a cost saving nature, such as game renatl services, believe it or not not everyone is going to stump up cash for every game and prefer to rent a game to see if it is worth the cash.

As for the console with more options again he prefaced these contents by highlighting the fact that most smart TVs already do these things, highlighting that he doesn't need an XBox to do the majority of the things that MS highlighted but the XBox does need a TV to do ANYTHING.

So who is the real dumbass here then?

Hey man, don't feed the trolls. If you ignore them, they get bored and go away.

OT: Jim did a great job this time around.
I hope that E3 doesn't help the situation, and Microsoft has to get out of the console business for good.

OZ7O:
WHAT'S THIS?JIM BEING A DUMBASS?NO WAY?!
I like how he said this is gonna be a console for the rich and he doesn't even know the price.I also like how he went on to bash a console for having MORE OPTIONS!HOW IS HAVING TV,INTERNET,MOVIES,MUSIC BAD?!?In my opinion,the focus of the conference was not good but the console IS! You HAVE to have these features to compete,you can't just be a OH I CAN PLAY GAMES box anymore.We all know that the xbox always has and WILL have good exclusive I.P.Halo,Gears of war,Crackdown,alan wake,quantum break might be good,RYSE and they might even bring out some rare games that HOPEFULLY won't suck!
All in all,i hate when people bash shit that hasn't even been released.Give it the benefit of the doubt.At the end of the day,the deciding features will be A)price B)games and C)what else it can do And for now both the PS4 and xbox one are looking good.In my opinion,the price won't be THAT expensive since sony said they are gonna learn from their mistakes and the xbox usually isn't that expensive.Also,i REALLY dislike Jim sterling,the guy who gave a game 10/10 JUST for the music and jokes,i'm looking at you, dumb deadly premonition review.Jim be sayin' shit just to say controversial shit.

Careful, your fanboy is showing.

You can claim that having options isn't a bad thing, but when you're looking for convenience (which is the only thing consoles have over PC gaming) of just putting the disc in and sitting back on the couch, adding a bunch of superfluous menus is just annoying. But that's just opinion, here's where it really fails:

-Always online console. As Jim said, there are people w/ crap internet out there, even in urban/suburban areas. You don't have to work for an ISP to hear the horror stories people put out w/ having unstable connections that disconnect them often, routers that aren't working properly, etc. And if your XboxOne can't connect to the server for a day, it bricks itself until it can. Convenience!

-Making you pay a fee to play used games on the console. Who thought this was a good idea? That's actually worse than EA's DLC/registration practices, because at least then my money is going to someone who puts out games I like (both EA and the developers.) I'm not paying the fucking console manufacturer to play used games when it's main priority is to play games. Also, I don't care how much you hate GameStop for what it does, the fact they are still in business means there is a market for used games. And XboxOne just gave the finger to that market.

I'm sure Xbox fanboys such as yourself will pick this up anyway. Your money, your decision and all that. But as someone who is impartial to either system (I have both in other words), Xbox just convinced me not to buy their next console. Getting CoD first isn't enough of a selling point.

If they retract some of these idiotic decisions, it may be salvagable. If they don't, then exactly one thing and one thing alone would redeem it:
Xbox Live being free.

Until then, PS4 beats it hands down.

So, it turns out that German guy that was on my local news a few months ago was right. Microsoft needs to get out of the console market and go back to doing what they did best, making operating systems that people actually wanted to use, making productivity software that people actually wanted to use, and making some of the best PC hardware on the market. That, and occasionally shitting out some pretty decent PC games that when Microsoft was at it's height wasn't crippled with shit DRM like Games "not" for Windows Live.

I need to stop watching Jim and Yahtzee's poetry immediately before other videos. Now no matter what either of them says my head just automatically looks for rhymes.

Jimothy Sterling:
Xbox One out of Ten

The Xbox One was revealed this weak to thunderous applause. Oh wait, did we say applause? We meant, farts. Thunderous farts.

Watch Video

Or thunderous BOOs. 1:34 Weird that the PS4 is taking what the Xbox One is doing wrong,and confirming they won't do that. And while it doesn't have Backwards compatability,I'm liking the PS4 already. It has an Indie game section in it's PSN,and Infamous: Second Son. 2:40 And I already HAVE a PS3 to use it's browser to watch The Escapist or Anime streams. 4:40 I swear they're just painting a bright red target on their console with this,practically asking us to hate it. Microsoft,I like you, and I respect you,but you done goofed. I'm heading over to Sony next door. 5:20 Here I thought Square Enix and EA were bad. Just ewhen you think they can't get any stupider,they pull this. 6:20 I concur. 6:35 As I am for Infamous:Second Son. XD 7:04 And my respect shifts more toward Sony once again. I mean,really,how did MS screw this up? All they had to do was say that 360 games were compatible,that it wasn't an "Always On" console,and that it would'nt have issues with used games. But then,I guess I shouldn't be TOO surprised. But still,I expected this out of Sony, but not out of Microsoft. It's a shame,really. Also,if I may pose a question to your wisdom,Jim,my PSP broke not that long ago. Should I replace it,or just get a Vita?

Stryc9:
So, it turns out that German guy that was on my local news a few months ago was right. Microsoft needs to get out of the console market and go back to doing what they did best, making operating systems that people actually wanted to use, making productivity software that people actually wanted to use, and making some of the best PC hardware on the market. That, and occasionally shitting out some pretty decent PC games that when Microsoft was at it's height wasn't crippled with shit DRM like Games "not" for Windows Live.

I agree. That's what makes this thing kind of sad.

I don't want any of the big three developers to fail so hard that they have to fold, they have done good work in the past even if they have also made fuck awful decisions (then and now).

AC10:
Best episode ever just for the Interstella 5555 image!!!

That cover was fucking badass. I hadn't seen it before.

GamerMage:
It's a shame,really. Also,if I may pose a question to your wisdom,Jim,my PSP broke not that long ago. Should I replace it,or just get a Vita?

If I may add my two cents. I would replace it unless there's some exclusives for the Vita that you REALLY want.

Primarily cause you won't be able to use your SD cards with the Vita, hence you'll end up spending a lot more money for a full upgrade.

Excellent jim now that you carried out your hit, the money will be forwarded to your swiss b...oh fuck people can see this.

But as a Sony user and a computer convert, hay lifes good. Shame really, Xbox has been an interesting rival, a rival that kept sony honest at times.

It's going to boil down to how much that God damn thing is gonna cost. Cause I got a bad ass computer for around 400-500. now in a year from now when the play station has it's system out...

andddddddddddd has some games out.. and has it's price under control....

yeah i'm gonna be stuck with that comp for a long.. long .. long time LOL

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or