Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I don't want any of the new consoles. They all look awful to me. I'll continue with PC, since that seems to be what Microsoft and the others wants me to do. I'd rather buy a 3DS for next generation, if this is how it's going to continue. XD Though PS3 has a few cool exclusives which I haven't played yet.

Well, I am willing to give them a bit to sort out the Online requirement and used game business. Similar to mainstream media, game journalists(I am not including Jim in this instance) are very quick to jump on the 'news' that will get the most hits not necessarily the most accurate news.

It is the fault of MS that they seem to not be able to give a straight answer at first, but when you have articles jumping immediately onto the "Xbone fee for used games" and "Xbone must have connected once in a 24 hour period" without actually confirming it just leads to the mess of clashing information that is going on right now. Even if MS issued an ironclad statement on both of those particular issues, people will still be talking about the inaccurate info all day long.

For example, MajorNelson stated "...today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail. " but I have hardly seen that going about at all.

I just want to be clear, I am NOT with MS on this one(hehe), but I think it is also an indication of the issues we have in the gaming community and journalism as well. It seems like no matter what they would have announced there would have been noticeable stomping and moaning because many people were simply preparing to hate it rather than hate it for what it is(which there are plenty of reasons to). As much as I love Halo, if Xbone does indeed crash and burn, hey then that means there is a larger chance of the titles getting released on PC.

Honestly, I hope MS does find a separate niche. Nintendo already seems to have done so, the lack of a traditional E3 conference being one recent indication and just how they have handled the Wii and Wii U. They don't have to get into big willy measuring contest with the other companies, they can just do their own thing and do it well.

Despite the HUGE degree of cynicism that pervades the gaming community, I am actually optimistic. What I have seen is more of a trend towards a much larger variety in business models and pricing. I am not worried about DRM and such things because I am also seeing that there are plenty of alternatives on the horizon.

People constantly talk about the game industry crashing, I don't see that happening at all, I imagine we will see a large rifting in the industry where people can look for an experience that works for them rather than simply picking between 3 outlets for what is being produced out of the industry as a whole.

Laughing Man:

WHAT'S THIS?JIM BEING A DUMBASS?NO WAY?!
I like how he said this is gonna be a console for the rich and he doesn't even know the price.I also like how he went on to bash a console for having MORE OPTIONS!HOW IS HAVING TV,INTERNET,MOVIES,MUSIC BAD?!

Did you actually watch the episode. He prefaced the comment about it being for the rich by highlighting the casualties of having an always on console, most of which were either of a charitable nature or a cost saving nature, such as game renatl services, believe it or not not everyone is going to stump up cash for every game and prefer to rent a game to see if it is worth the cash.

As for the console with more options again he prefaced these contents by highlighting the fact that most smart TVs already do these things, highlighting that he doesn't need an XBox to do the majority of the things that MS highlighted but the XBox does need a TV to do ANYTHING.

So who is the real dumbass here then?

Additionally Alan wake isn't a Xbox exclusive its multi-platform last I checked existing on the pc aswell.(posted in this reply since the original reply isn't available for quoting

and yes console isn't cheap if you are forced to buy new games 100% of the time those prices really add up to the point of being unaffordable cutting out a point of savings isn't exactly good for any but the richest of your userbase

If the Xbone fails (badly), what will we compare it to, the Philips CD-i, the Apple Pipin or the Atari Jaguar?

SageRuffin:
Well... I know what I'm doing next gen. Good thing I upgraded my PC.

I'm not buying the same game twice though (i.e. Skyrim), fuck all that. Even if the PC versions do have access to a fuckton of delicious looking mods.

Query: Hey someone: other than Steam, what's a good game site that has a decent catalog?

There's plenty. Greenmangaming, GOG.com, gamersgate.com, impulsedriven.com, amazon's digital games section. Big plus for gamersgate and GOG is that as long as the game you're buying doesn't need a platform to run (steam, origin, etc) they're drm free. Also they usually have comparable if not better deals and discounts that may pop up on steam.

Corven:

SageRuffin:
Well... I know what I'm doing next gen. Good thing I upgraded my PC.

I'm not buying the same game twice though (i.e. Skyrim), fuck all that. Even if the PC versions do have access to a fuckton of delicious looking mods.

Query: Hey someone: other than Steam, what's a good game site that has a decent catalog?

There's plenty. Greenmangaming, GOG.com, gamersgate.com, impulsedriven.com, amazon's digital games section. Big plus for gamersgate and GOG is that as long as the game you're buying doesn't need a platform to run (steam, origin, etc) they're drm free. Also they usually have comparable if not better deals and discounts that may pop up on steam.

Sounds good. I'll have to peep those sites next time I get a chance (gotta finish ranting to a friend on Facebook first). Thanks for the info. :D

So your complaint is basically DRM, not enough of a focus on games, and you paid too much for your TV?

Owned a Ps2 and Xbox 1. Had a huge library for the Ps2 and a smaller one for the Xbox, but I liked my Xbox more overall. Hense, I bought a 360. A wise decision, I think. I love my 360, it has great games and great experiences on it. I was fully prepared to watch the conference and pre-order an Xbox Infinity right afterwards.

Okay, I didn't do that. But the conference was interesting. I liked that it could do because I don't already own a Smart TV and such, so it was like when my Ps2 happened to have a DVD player and I'd thus far still been buying VHS tapes. Nice bonus.

And then the day after they reveal what the software is designed to do.
I don't think I've ever been so depressed as a gamer. You must log in once a day? you can't borrow games from a friend or lend them out? Can't buy a second hand, out of print game? While none of these *really* affect me since I'm connected 99% of the year, don't rent, rarely lend games or borrow them and don't tend to buy used, I absolutely object to buying a console that considers this practise a good thing for the industry.

The Xbox One went from a "I'll see what the games will be at E3" to a "Oh god...I don't even care any more...!"

Halo's a long standing franchise for me, I love the gameplay and the lore, I have many happy memories with it. But I'm not buying a console just to see the continuation.

I hope to god the PS4 does none of this draconian DRM bullshit. I don't *want* to jump ship, I want to stay on the platform that has my favourite franchises on it. But I absolutely cannot support this DRM crap they're pushing.

I fundamentally disagree with DRM. Steam is perhaps the only video game related thing that uses DRM well. Everyone else uses it as a method of control. It certainly isn't for preventing piracy, because God knows it fails at that. Anti-consumer controling DRM should be shunned at all costs.
If the Ps4 also goes this way, I'm not getting a Wii U. I might have to start hoarding wired Xbox 360 controllers to keep my new PC gaming trend going.

Thank you, Microsoft. Thanks so much for turning me from an avid supporter of the Xbox brand into someone who rejects it utterly in just 48 hours. Thanks for making me question my future as a gamer. Thanks for potentially ruining my hobby.

Don't forget that Microsoft are essentially limiting their audience to the US as most of the TV and Sport features are only available to the US. Not even North America, Canada and Mexico can't access these features, let alone features that the 360 currently has. Microsoft is essentially killing what little of the global market the Xbox has with all these crazy restrictions. This isn't even counting out the potential used-games crippling feature, shutting down even more parts of the world that can't afford games on such a luxurious level, or the confirmed lack of backwards compatibility.

At the risk of sounding like my old Sony-fanboy self, at least the PS4 is a game centric hub with some media attached to it, rather than a media hub that happens to play games. Far as I know, Sony is at least working on a cloud-based solution for their backwards compatibility when they purchased Gaikai, though it most likely won't be a day one feature. They've seemed to learn a lot from the previous generation of what they did, focusing on the gaming experience while throwing in some nice little extras. Just like how you can't beat CoD by being CoD, you can't beat media hubs by being media hubs, you need to focus and specialize in what the competition isn't giving.

I wouldn't even say console manufacturers are trying to be PCs, they're more trying to be like phones where you share and download all the latests apps to view. Except the phone can travel anywhere, the Xbox has its fatass stuck in your living room.

Corven:
Big plus for gamersgate and GOG is that as long as the game you're buying doesn't need a platform to run

All GOG games are DRM free; they don't sell Steamworks games. Even their AAA games are DRM free.

Well, this is what I'd already decided for myself. Thanks for reinforcing my opinion that I need to get a PS4 to replace my Xbox 360. They basically said all the wrong things.

Here's hoping Square is working on a Final Fantasy XV for PS4, because if they do I'm buying one the next day.

Aptspire:
So... I see no reason to give them my business. It's sad to have a 12 year consumer to business relationship end this way, 'mais c'est la vie.'
They will need Half-Life 3 as a console exclusive for me to care at all about their television device.

Considering Valve has made it clear they don't like Windows 8 or Microsoft but seem to like working with Sony, the PS4/PC would be the most likely systems to get that xD

OT: Yeah I knew Microsoft were stupid after Windows 8 and I knew they would pull some dumb moves, but even I didn't expect such a failure of their system that it was a K.O. of the XBone by Microsoft themselves. It's like Sony and MS got in the ring ready to fight and on their first punch MS missed and knocked themselves out. Sony wins by default.

This pretty much sums it up for me. At this point, there is no need to get a new console. If I were going to, it would be a PS4. I am a gamer. Microsoft didn't really speak to me with that reveal. Unless some killer app comes along, I'll look into investing in a PC.

canadamus_prime:
I predict that the XBox One is going to fail miserably, and I want to be there when it does.

It'll be amazing to watch it crash and burn. I got popcorn if anyone wants some.

It's just like a train wreck; it's horrible, but you can't look away. Except we'll all be laughing about the whole thing.

Also, the timing of that slow clap was brilliant, Jim. Absolutely brilliant.

Sprinal:
It not allowing resale of products. Is that not against the law in the EU?

I seem to remember that a couple of years back the EU passed a bill that required the Resale of digital products.

I may be wrong here but if the xbone doesn't allow that it could face problems in the European countries completely?

Thus eliminating some 500 million people... a very large market?

Well considering they'd basically already eliminated it by having a bunch of features that'll won't probably only work properly outside the US ("TV, Sports, TV, TV, Sports, TV!"), I don't think they much care. Congratulations Microsoft, you've made a console exclusively for rich Americans, enjoy your potential customer base of around 70 million, most of whom don't want or need your product.

Hit the nail on the head and you didn't even talk about all the stupid things they are doing. Personally I would never have a device with a high res camera and a microphone attached to an internet connected device that I don't have ultimate control over. At least on my computer I can unplug my webcam/mic and still use my computer.

Andy Shandy:
So yeah, just as bad as the PS4 Reveal.

I think the term you were looking for was 'far worse'. At least the PS4 reveal focused on gaming.

Andy Shandy:

Delcast:
Snip

Why can't I compare them, they are two next-generation console reveals, are they not?

And, taking the presentations themselves alone, I found them pretty much equally as disappointing.

As for all the other shit surrounding it, I'll wait until the dust settles a bit before that considering all the contradictory shit that has been going around that I've seen.

The PS4 is pro gaming and developers so more games come out on it, whats so disappointing? Is not seeing what the plastic outside looks like so important that it overshadows that they have answered the important questions regarding weather it needs online (it doesn't), weather it allows used games (it does) and weather its focused on gaming with a decent hardware spec to back it up (which it does as well). I mostly play PC these days and use my PS3 for the exclusives and I already plan to get a PS4 to continue that trend as its clear M$ has just failed completely. Seriously when your stock drops and your competition raises 10 points + after you announce your next big thing you know you've blown it.

EDIT: Typo at the start xD

craddoke:
Xbox One: It only makes sense as a Rube Goldberg-worthy plot to invigorate PC gaming and sell Windows machines.

That actually has been discussed in Podtoid, where Xbox 360's successor is merely a ploy to boost PC sales.

Well done Jim! I still haven't watched the big reveal of Xbox One but everything I've heard about it makes me want to buy it less and less, so I guess I should thank Microsoft for saving me some money by revealing all of their idiotic marketing strategies and designs of which you and the public which has done a great job of examining and dissecting.

Oh, apparently the Xbone has to HAS TO connect to the internet once every 24 hrs.

Red X:
Oh, apparently the Xbone has to HAS TO connect to the internet once every 24 hrs.

Or it....self destructs?

Do they really need, I'm not even sure what to call that it's not really drm...but it is for a console?

the antithesis:
Sad thing is, this still isn't making the Ouya look any better. :(

I just don't understand the Ouya bashing.

Darkcerb:

Red X:

Or it....self destructs?

Do they really need, I'm not even sure what to call that it's not really drm...but it is for a console?

Kotaku and Eurogamer interviews reveals this but to what end, they where vague but we can assume the worst

Reyold:

canadamus_prime:
I predict that the XBox One is going to fail miserably, and I want to be there when it does.

It'll be amazing to watch it crash and burn. I got popcorn if anyone wants some.

It's just like a train wreck; it's horrible, but you can't look away. Except we'll all be laughing about the whole thing.

Also, the timing of that slow clap was brilliant, Jim. Absolutely brilliant.

Yes, save me some of that popcorn.

The only thing that excited me about Xbox One's announcement is now I can buy a 360 and 360 games for cheaper :D

MopBox:

the antithesis:

Tell you what, I was as interested in the Ouya, GameStick, Project Shield as the next guy. Possibly moreso because, well, I don't buy consoles. For lots of reasons. Mostly because the only way I want Call of Duty delivered to me is with a spike through it's forehead and left out by the curb on Thursdays. The idea of someone breaking in with a cheap console seemed groovy. But I've had time to think about it and it doesn't seem as groovy as it did at first blush. It runs Android, so it's like a mobile phone. Well, I don't have a smartphone, either (should have gotten an Xperia Play while I could) but that's the way to play Android games and with some phones you can hook them up to your massive livingroom TV and play it like a console. So what need are these things filling? I ask because I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

But then, what makes or breaks a console is always, always, always the software. If Ouya manages to get an exclusive game that people buy the Ouya to play, I'll eat my tasty, tasty words. Until then, the Ouya is going to be like the cheap Chinese knock-off toy that your grandmother buys you for your birthday. You asked for G.I. Joe and she found something called U.S. Soldier which looks the same but is made of that cheap plastic that melts in the sun. That's the niche I see Ouya filling at this point. It was a fairly sad conclusion to come to, let me tell you.

scw55:

Rex Dark:
Well, at least this might decrease the amount of people insulting other people's mothers on XBox Live.

I doubt it. You'll just have rich and privileged people insulting each other's mothers instead.

I say your mothers a tramp sir.

Andy Shandy:
So yeah, just as bad as the PS4 Reveal.

E3 should at least be fun this year (and will be when I personally pass final judgement on the Xbone and PS4), because all three companies will either blow us all away...or they will be hilariously bad.

Actually ya you are right I never even really thought about it but all three systems are looking bad right now and every single one needs to win people over in some way or another.

Brilliant video as always Jim.

the antithesis:

MopBox:

the antithesis:

Tell you what, I was as interested in the Ouya, GameStick, Project Shield as the next guy. Possibly moreso because, well, I don't buy consoles. For lots of reasons. Mostly because the only way I want Call of Duty delivered to me is with a spike through it's forehead and left out by the curb on Thursdays. The idea of someone breaking in with a cheap console seemed groovy. But I've had time to think about it and it doesn't seem as groovy as it did at first blush. It runs Android, so it's like a mobile phone. Well, I don't have a smartphone, either (should have gotten an Xperia Play while I could) but that's the way to play Android games and with some phones you can hook them up to your massive livingroom TV and play it like a console. So what need are these things filling? I ask because I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

But then, what makes or breaks a console is always, always, always the software. If Ouya manages to get an exclusive game that people buy the Ouya to play, I'll eat my tasty, tasty words. Until then, the Ouya is going to be like the cheap Chinese knock-off toy that your grandmother buys you for your birthday. You asked for G.I. Joe and she found something called U.S. Soldier which looks the same but is made of that cheap plastic that melts in the sun. That's the niche I see Ouya filling at this point. It was a fairly sad conclusion to come to, let me tell you.

You know the Ouya can play anything graphically up till early this gen right? I know android makes you think "phone games" and that is where it is used generally but it is capable of so much more. Also it has emulators for almost all the systems which is kick ass. I dunno people all have this mind set that Android means only cell phone stuff but android is just a means you does very little to dictate or limit the content itself. The limits are imposed by the system itself which again isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

You didn't even mention the mic that always has to be on, but yep
I won't even go over to a friend's house to go play the Xbox One Nine Eight Four.
What a piece of shit.

If people would just stop thinking they have rights and stuff we wouldn't be in this mess! I mean what right do consumers have to think they own what they buy and be able to give/sell that item to other people. It would be better if you just gave Microsoft your money and were happy you got a VHS player from the 90s!

Sony's presentation may have been a substantial amount of "meh", but at least it didn't outright anger its target demographic...

I fear this generation, possibly the last generation, isn't looking that hopeful.

If Microsoft wanted to make a PC, why didn't they just make a PC?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here