Jimquisition: Xbox One out of Ten

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

So is it too early to declare Microsoft as the new "Atari" of the games industry?

now we just have to wait and see if E3 can save their asses, or they find someway out of this(Which i kinda doubt with the big hole they dug themselves into).

If this ends with a truckload of Xbone's being dumped and buried somewhere in the desert then I'll sing domo arigato mr roboto to my PC, or maybe "Number one" instead.

*sigh* Every generation there are new things that my system can't do that the last one could. Can I just get a new system that will play video games?

I swear by my 360 and I really enjoy the Xbox Live service, plus I've gotten more help from their customer support than I ever did from Sony's, but this shit is just ridiculous. If you're a fan of Xbox, a real fan, and this reveal didn't make you think something along the lines of "wait... what?" then you need to take a step back and reevaluate your measure of the Xbox One.

A fee for playing pre-owned/rental games? Seriously? That defeats the purpose almost entirely. That's even before online passes get taken into account. I'll miss Halo quite a bit, but I think I'm going to have to go with Sony this generation. Sure, their reveal wasn't particularly good either, but at least there's less bullshit on that side.

Lenderian:

Laughing Man:

WHAT'S THIS?JIM BEING A DUMBASS?NO WAY?!
I like how he said this is gonna be a console for the rich and he doesn't even know the price.I also like how he went on to bash a console for having MORE OPTIONS!HOW IS HAVING TV,INTERNET,MOVIES,MUSIC BAD?!

Did you actually watch the episode. He prefaced the comment about it being for the rich by highlighting the casualties of having an always on console, most of which were either of a charitable nature or a cost saving nature, such as game renatl services, believe it or not not everyone is going to stump up cash for every game and prefer to rent a game to see if it is worth the cash.

As for the console with more options again he prefaced these contents by highlighting the fact that most smart TVs already do these things, highlighting that he doesn't need an XBox to do the majority of the things that MS highlighted but the XBox does need a TV to do ANYTHING.

So who is the real dumbass here then?

Additionally Alan wake isn't a Xbox exclusive its multi-platform last I checked existing on the pc aswell.(posted in this reply since the original reply isn't available for quoting

and yes console isn't cheap if you are forced to buy new games 100% of the time those prices really add up to the point of being unaffordable cutting out a point of savings isn't exactly good for any but the richest of your userbase

Not just multiplat, but the PC version is the current Humble Bundle weekly game thing. Anything over $1 gets you Alan Wake and Alan Wake: American Nightmare both DRM free and with Steam codes. Any amount of money at all will get you the DRM free copies.

Baldr:

gamegod25:
It's both funny and sad to see just how out of touch MS apparently is. Be it ignorance or just plain contempt for gamers I don't know. Apparently "needing time to respond to Sony" meant thinking of how they could make it as unappealing as possible in comparison.

No, Gamers are just out of touch on what sells on mainstream and what mainstream consumers demand.

And just what is that exactly? Something that does what everything else out there already does?

Overall, I felt let down by the XboxOne presentation. 1 out of 10 is a bit rough. 5 out of 10 seems fair, and that isn't enough for me.

Don Mattrick started it off, and the sales points that appear around the XBOXone in the video were reasonable enough.
'Ready when you are'
'Instantly responds to you'
'Ultimate precision' - referring to the controller
'Cloud powered'
'All your entertainment. All in One'

Everything except that last point appeals to me as a gamer. They are things I want, but what I want most is to see what the console can do with games. I wasn't to find out yet, though.

In the spoiler is more detail of how this presentation made this gamer dread the coming console generation.

It would seem I'm not alone. http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/ign-poll-result-75-disappointed-with-xbox-one-reveal

The majority of gaming genres were absent and those they showed were of no interest to me. The presentation missed the ball and the console failed to excite me.

Hopefully this will lead to more people trying out the Wii U. A system actually offering something new for gaming.

Seriously, my friend just got one, and between playing Monster Hunter with him on my DS, playing Nintendo Land, and Mario Wii U, I have had such a blast. I'm picking up a wii U, and I recommend it to anyone else. Between this new Xbox peripheral, and PS4 showing us maybe 7 new games(and not necessarily impressive ones), and Wii U getting the one game out of those that I was most excited about(Watch Dogs on wii u? Yeah baybee!) I think it will be two years or so before I even consider purchasing a PS4 or an XB1.

ShadowHamster:
Hopefully this will lead to more people trying out the Wii U. A system actually offering something new for gaming.

Except games.

I smell the return of PC gaming!~ STEAM IS MY FRIEND!~ and screw Origin (only have one game on it; DeadSpace3, only because it's exclusive...)

PS4 is still going to be my buy~ lets hope IT don't screw up...

WiiU is considered to me "last gen", so... I've out grown it...

EPIC games... please come back to the PC/Mod community~ I want to see Bulletstorm2 on PC!~

Well, I guess it's time to start saving for the GTX770 when it comes out. Oh wait. I already was!

Zombine3D:
PS4 presentation made me nervous. The XBOX ONE presentation made me facepalm myself to ancient egypt. Good that I have all current gen consoles and a nice GTX680 in my custom built PC for Watch_Dogs.

Lol same here and you read my mind.

scw55:
Are Sony and Microsoft trying to make PC gaming superior?

Trying? It always was. And now even JIM is recruited to our master race. Though i felt that the previuos episode seem much more sincere, it felt almost like a real anger back there, this one seemt just yeah you said what everyone already though.

GonzoGamer:
What I'm wondering is if it's too late for them to backtrack on a lot of this. How hardwired is this online pass-ish system and the mandatory install they have set up? Will they see the torches and shelve that idea, will they release it and update the used-fee system out of it if they aren't selling units, is that even possible???

Its not. so far all they need to do is go to E3 and say "yeah we were jut kidding, gotcha?". Now WILL they is another question.
Also, not much torches really. here at the escapist a lot of people complain about it, but thats the escapist, which is in no way representation of average gamers. most average gamers dont really care that much about stuff like tv stuff and all. in fact my cousin who is a Xbox/pc gamer actually use the xbox nongaming crap.

Dr.Awkward:
As I somewhat said in another thread, I would like to see a bunch of publishers and developers collaborate and create the console they're looking for instead of just trying to work with the Big Three.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124152-Ouya-Holding-Public-E3-Booth-in-Parking-Lot

Delcast:
and contrary to what Microsoft might believe, we don't live in huts or conjure up internets through the powers of the voodoo,

i almost spit my lunch, well played.

SupahGamuh:
RIP Console Gaming: 1985 - 2013

long time coming?

the antithesis:
Sad thing is, this still isn't making the Ouya look any better. :(

thats because ouya isnt really good to begin with. it would ahve been good it it launched 2 years ago, now its, well, a device to play mobile games cheaper than owning a mobile.

gamegod25:

Baldr:

gamegod25:
It's both funny and sad to see just how out of touch MS apparently is. Be it ignorance or just plain contempt for gamers I don't know. Apparently "needing time to respond to Sony" meant thinking of how they could make it as unappealing as possible in comparison.

No, Gamers are just out of touch on what sells on mainstream and what mainstream consumers demand.

And just what is that exactly? Something that does what everything else out there already does?

and everyone else does it because that is what the consumer wants. i think his comment woudl be better phrased by stating "Gamers on escapist are just out of touch on what mainstream gamers want", because lets face it, we are far from beign the average joe who comes home grabs a beer and plays COD while wife nags at him.

How nice of Microsoft to eliminate themselves from the next generation console war before it has even started.

Seems like i'm going to stick with pc this generation.

Yeah it's expensive, and it's very annoying when you buy a game and it simply doesn't work, forcing me to look online for the reason why, I might get a Wii u and maybe a Playstation 4 if the games are good enough.

AC10:
Best episode ever just for the Interstella 5555 image!!!

Totally agree. It's an awesome film, with awesome music. :)

OT:

I guess I have to thank Microsoft. I went with PC Gaming a number of years ago and stuck to it, not touching the consoles. That decision has now been validated (alongside the slew of other reasons). PS4 will be interesting, I've always been on Sony's "side" in the console war, and I hope it trounces the One for the reasons Jim put far more eloquently in his vid. But I'm sticking with my gaming PC and Windows compatible Xbox controller for my gaming needs. I guess MS wins either way, because I'm using Windows 7. Bring on the day the publishers finally start seeing Linux as a viable platform, and not just have its library restricted to Valve and their crusade & smaller devs who are corporately mobile enough to develop cross-platform.

so i guess Microsoft in closing in fast in the "stupidest games and/or consoles company ever"

first we had ea/blizzard/ubisoft with their always on DRM then blizzard and ubisoft were thrown out of the competition by EA.
after that Nintendo came in with their stupid copyright claims and wanting the profit of LP s on youtube. and now seems Microsoft is in the competition and it had a great start!

dance monkey dance! haha!
ehm... the xbox one is indeed shit, not really impressed with the ps4 either but at least its not as bad... i think id just save for a good gaming PC...

I already have an HD DVR, and a smart TV with a Netflix account. The Xbone sounds as pointless to me as Nvidia's Shield. If the PS4 doesn't appeal to me, I'll take that as an excuse to focus on current gen and retro gaming. Once the next gen consoles hit the shelves, I'll go to a bunch of stores to collect discounted 7th gen games. After a few years, I'll consider investing in a powerful PC.

Seriously, I don't get all the Xbox One hate. It's a console, no worse or better than PS4. Sony has f***ed their customers multiple times throught the PS3's lifetime, enforcing restrictive DRMs, suing people for just tinkering with the device, introducing gimmicky controllers that only copied others, and finally allowing gigabytes of customer data to be compromised by hackers - and all of that did not cause everyone to think Sony's going to die or the device itself sucks. Microsoft's new console is faster, it's more polished than the previous one, it's based on everything good that was in 360, and also lets the device to become more of a home entertainment system.. what's up with that? Even if it does require you to be online once a day - let's be real here, everyone has internet connection, and such requirement does not pose any problem to the customers.

Oh, and just to clarify (because if I don't, some people automatically assume things that fit your point of view), I'm not an Xbox fanboy, I don't own one, and contrary to what my avatar could lead you to believe, I use a Mac, I just think the Windows 7 logo looks nice.

I think I know where MS is going with this.

Wow, this coming (or already here if you count WiiU) generation is really, really depressing. Microsoft has an at best poor reveal (although to be fair, the PS3 reveal was pretty awful too - Get a second job! It's tech is so advanced the sale might be restricted! GIANT ENEMY CRAB!), WiiU is struggling in the market, and Sony is going through some rocky financial waters while struggling with their Vita launch.

Ugh. Here's hoping E3 makes a (please be positive) difference. For all of them.

As a college student, all of the tv-sports-kinect stuff could actually be helpful. The tv I have isn't one of the smart tvs mentioned in the video, and in many ways, the "all-in-one" idea is, for me at least, pretty sensible. I will agree though that the deciding factor as to whether it's crap or not will be if they can come out with a good showing of games. Proving that you are indeed going to release call of duty ghosts with your new console is a bit like saying "I am human, and I have genitalia" It's wonderful to have the reassurance, but it doesn't say anything new and raises questions as to why you chose that particular phrasing-or game-as your big introduction.

theriddlen:
Seriously, I don't get all the Xbox One hate. It's a console, no worse or better than PS4. Sony has f***ed their customers multiple times through the PS3's lifetime, enforcing restrictive DRMs, suing people for just tinkering with the device, introducing gimmicky controllers that only copied others, and finally allowing gigabytes of customer data to be compromised by hackers - and all of that did not cause everyone to think Sony's going to die or the device itself sucks. Microsoft's new console is faster, it's more polished than the previous one, it's based on everything good that was in 360, and also lets the device to become more of a home entertainment system.. what's up with that? Even if it does require you to be online once a day - let's be real here, everyone has internet connection, and such requirement does not pose any problem to the customers.

this is not about how awful or stupid sony is. its about Microsoft. and the reason people get angry about Microsoft and not sony is that they are costumed to Microsoft not being idiot. they like (or liked) the company. the games it released were good, the console was good (never owned one but i heard about others),the OS were good(not counting vista and 8) but sony was just fucking up so much after a while people were like "Meh".

please tell me how you didnt find that revealing ... bad? it only had CoD as a game for a GAMING console!(i think the right name should be tv-ing console?) in my idea Microsoft is somehow suddenly became stupid and not any stupid, EA level of stupidity.(i still cant believe the exec called their customers backwards!)

Zombine3D:
PS4 presentation made me nervous. The XBOX ONE presentation made me facepalm myself to ancient egypt. Good that I have all current gen consoles and a nice GTX680 in my custom built PC for Watch_Dogs.

Watch Dogs is going to become a reality for Zero owners.

They really had and go ahead and do it...the dream is over...

xPixelatedx:
Miscrosoft's plot all along was to actually make the wiiU and PS4 look good by comparison... I can't imagine they had any other motive at all from what I saw.

CoD Dog

But Jim! THE EMOTION!!! That dog is EMOTION!! It craps EMOTION! It's feces Spell out EMOTION! Emotion Emotion Emotion Emotion.

Relevant gif is still totally relevant.

gamegod25:

Baldr:

gamegod25:

The number one demand out there is convenience and ease of use.
Then look at the top 10 games of 2012:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184637/

Call of Duty and Sports games.

They hit the nail straight on the head.

Go where the money is.

For the current generation of consoles, Ps3 has won for me. Over all, PC has won (so many great flash games on kongregate/armor games etc, and of course steam games as well). Xbox 360...had some good games I enjoyed, so it was worth owning, but it was far behind the other two.

Then came the Ipad. The ipad now, is second only to my PC for my gaming needs, surpassing the Ps3...and almost making consoles obsolete for me. Between my PC with it's tons of games, and new flash games all the time (for free!), and my IPAD with tons of free games and others that are $1-$5....I have games both at home and on the go, that will last me forever. I only play on my PS3 because A: I have free games from the PSN, B: I like RPGs and Nino Kuni etc were all decent, and C: I have a freaking huge backlock of Ps3 games I own but havn't played.

In an age where you have SO many choices already for gaming (if you own even an older PC...mine was bought for $300 in 2007...dual core with 2gig of ram, and still plays everything)...and an ipad, you almost don't need a console at all. Both the PS4 and Xbox 1 will need to blow me away for me to bother with a purchase, and it's mostly going to be the exclusive games that matter. If it costs as much to buy an xbox 1, as it would to upgrade my computer, I see no reason at all why I wouldn't go with a computer over the xbox at this point. In fact, the only Xbox exclusive game I would have missed out on big time would have been too human (I liked that one). I could have really skipped that console this generation.

In the end, Xbox has dissapointed me twice in a row. Both the original and the 360 did not compete well against the playstation consoles for me. I have not, and do not intend to, buy the Wii U. I also stopped at the PSP 3000 and DS (no Vita or DS3d). My ipad takes care of any portable gaming needs I may have at this point, and does a much better job of it then my psp/ds (havn't played either of em in about a year). Due to the huge number of games to play on my pc (which is where I read about new games, news, emails etc..so I already turn it on), I rarely use my PS3 either (I just log in to see what new free games I get from PSN...but even most of those I have not played).

In the end, MMO's are better on PC. Most RPGs are better on PC, Tower Defense games are better (and usually free) on PC. Portable games are better (and usually free or close) on Ipad. I think if consoles are not going to die, they need to really really improve what they offer, including far more free games (like you get on Ipad and PC), and far more unique gameplay options and games. If they do not, more and more people are going to discover that for a very small amount of money you can get endless games on a pc....and for a bit more, on the ipad as well.

Apparently has MS issued a patent to count the number of movie watchers via camera, making it possible to tax people per person for watching movies.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220120278904%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20120278904&RS=DN/20120278904

2013...the year millions join the PC Master Race. Resistance is futile.

immovablemover:
I'm fairly sure his opening was identical to the opening of a Zero punctuation? Can't remember which one though.

It was similar to the aliens colonial marines one though I wouldn't say identical.

I was never planning on getting an Xbox One or a PS4, yet even then that performance infuriated me. Since Nintendo is rarely talked about or ignored when it comes to discussion about the direction of the gaming industry I have to take into account what Sony and Micrsoft are going with their consoles.
The fact is- if Game consoles are trying to be the next "smart" TV, then they already lost that race because there are a bazillion products out there that already do that, and devices people have that will make them redundant.
I use my Wii as evidence. It has Netflix, Interent, weather forecasting, and News. I use NONE of those features. I play the Wii to play games. Even when I'm not playing games, I don't go to those channels. I just check the e-shop and power off.
People already have a BLU-Ray to play movies. They have smartphones to browse the internet and watch Television at the same time, they have remotes to turn on the tv.
Xbox One can't even do those things without the use of ANOTHER cable box. So that means you would have two pieces of bulk slammed in your living room.
No thanks Wii U did it better.
I only know ONE person who is interested in this console, and unironically he just happens to live on the coast.

Manji187:
2013...the year millions join the PC Master Race. Resistance is futile.

I was already kinda there...but depending on the next few months, I might go there full time.

*Sigh* This was just, so very, very sad to hear. I mean, I wasn't all that interested in Microsoft's newest Xbox, but I was open enough to give it a chance to impress me. I wanted them to pull out all the stops and prove they can actually compete this generation since Sony's PS4 reveal left much to be desired. But nope, Microsoft instead proved that unlike Sony, they can suck even HARDER. I've honestly run out of negative things to say about this console. I want to hate it. I want to see it be set on fire and its ashes tossed into the River Thames. But it's so bad, that it completely falls off my hatred spectrum.

I am still not wholly convinced of the PS4 since not a lot was shown about it, but so far it is looking all the more appealing simply by virtue of not having much to talk about. Hopefully E3 will do something right and introduce something to liven this next generation up.

Legion:
I still think it will do well.

I think it sucks, but it will do well.

It will sell to the people who want the latest gadget, enjoy COD (as they get early DLC), have a nice big living room and want something that can do everything but aren't that tech savvy.

As for gamers? Well we need to see the games first, but it's clearly not created with that customer base in mind, or else it wouldn't be focusing on all of the crap nobody asked for. Especially with the used games issue.

Yeah, this. A friend posted on FB about how much they liked it. I linked several articles describing all the bad features, and people just popping in to say how they wanted one.

I literally watched their puppet strings get pulled. Horrifying. My friends....they.....are gone...and no amount of rescue boats/lifeguards can reach through to them.

doesn't the xbone's always on kinect recording thingy violate privacy laws?

Why is everyone so focused on them not showing games, it was hardware reveal, to show off their new hardware. I think they did it better than Sony making it so close to E3 because they have a quick one hour show for the hardware and then two weeks later show off their games in full, whereas Sony had near 3 hour show with just specs and no more than teasers for games.

XBox One. Okay serious;ly is there some stupidity virus running around the tech industry or some thinger. Why dear god do both sony and MS consider used games and rentals... oh wait... because the games are apt to be so mediocre and drab that no one who rents it will bother to buy it. I see what you did there. Seriously though. PC gaming is actually at a good cross roads now that the indie scene is picking up. Which is funny since the Xbox one is apparently a stripped down PC. You have to install games to play, you can't transfer the games from one unit to another ... gee, just like a PC. Fancy that eh?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here