Escapist News Now: Xbox One Won't Let Indies Self-Publish

Xbox One Won't Let Indies Self-Publish

Microsoft Game Studios will continue to not allow self-publishing on Xbox-Live.

Watch Video

how many more people does microsoft plan to alienate with their new polished turd?

Yes Microsoft, we get it, it's a "games console" that isn't for gamers or anyone that has even a passing interest in the industry. Piss off now. Please.

They did it. They sodding did it. They loaded the gun, pointed it at their feet at point blank range, pulled the trigger...missed their feet entirely, ricocheted off of 359 surfaces and completely brained themselves.

...I'm loving this continuing XBone shit show. Show me more, Microsoft.

Hmm, Microsoft's XBone. Now there's something the internet and its Rule 34 won't forget anytime soon.

The next generation gaming console. Gamers and game creators not welcome.

Let me tell you I can't wait to watch netfix on my TV. Now to pass the time till release I will go watch netfix on my TV or my phone, or maybe my laptop. Nah I'll watch in on my PC.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
ricocheted off of 359 surfaces

360 - 1? Clever, albeit perhaps unintentional?

Come buy our gaming console that isn't a gaming console everyone! They seem to be pooling their crap into failed ventures. No one bloody likes Kinect, people like playing ONLINE, used games aren't fucking STEALING from you.
It's still not gonna flop mind you. There'll still be some imbeciles who buy it.

I was never interested in the Xbox, 3 generations straight they've pushed me away.

It's like Microsoft doesn't want to sell their new system or something. Huh. Well I'm probably done with consoles at this point, but if I had to get a new one, it would be the PS4.

After the decision to make people pay a fee to play used games this seems like a new level of stupidity and greed on behalf of the Microsoft marketing team. If I was to buy a new console I'd probably get a PS4, but I think I'll stick with my computer until one or both is extremely cheap.

::looks it up:: "The nicknames for the "Xbox One," a nickname that seems to have started on Twitter, is the Japanese word for "divorced". The shortened "X1" can be read as "batsuichi" (バツイチ), which is literally "one x" and means "once divorced".

Lol. But seriously though...That's a terrible name....Sounds like they're refurring to the original Xbox.

likalaruku:
::looks it up:: "The nicknames for the "Xbox One," a nickname that seems to have started on Twitter, is the Japanese word for "divorced". The shortened "X1" can be read as "batsuichi" (バツイチ), which is literally "one x" and means "once divorced".

Lol. But seriously though...That's a terrible name....Sounds like they're refurring to the original Xbox.

I think that "The X One" would have been a decent name, but the name they ended up with is needlessly confusing. Shortening it to X1 is fine, but since they went with XboxOne, I just.. Xbone it is I suppose.

Xboned...
I wish PS4 isn't as stupid as Xbone...
Then again.... PC is the better way to play, and STEAM is ULTRA FRIENDLY with the new "UNREAL BUNDLE" (10 bucks for ALL UNREAL games; UT2K4!!!!! REPLAYING!!!!~~~~) why play console? (i only use it for DMC, and fighting games now... )

It is almost like Microsoft is trying to pull something like in The Producers. They got a bunch of old widows to invest 50% in their console and now they are doing everything they can to make it fail...minus Springtime for Hitler of course.

Haha, this is a joke right? Did Sony hack Microsoft's marketing department? I don't understand how we can see such a large turn around in both companies. Last gen Sony was the one who misunderstood their audience and now it's like they're custom making the console for the consumers. I may be wrong, but the only downside I see in Sony's next console is that it won't be backwards campatible and that's because they're changing the hardware in a good way that makes it easy to develop for and will make future consoles backwards compatible going foward.

As an owner of both a ps3 and 360, this isn't looking good for microsoft. Someone is currently in control of microsoft who has a "customer is mostly wrong" mindset of doing things. You see that all over their most recent products where they don't give consumers any choice. Maybe our response will garner the same kind of change that they're rolling out to undo some of the disliked problems of Win8? In any event, I definitely plan to buy a ps4 within a few months/half a year of launch and I'll now have to wait awhile before looking at the Xbone. Such as waiting to see if the next version of the console gets rid of the mandatory daily connection to the internet. Not that I have bad internet connection. Just that I've been avoiding EA games that require internet connections for solo games on behalf of the people I know that don't have reliable connection.

I guess Microsoft is depending on a fanbase that I have to admit they do have. But this could be a significant drop in market share once we see the actually numbers on their CPU/GPU and the price of the consoles.

Oh boy

Still feels Grey. So grey.. so meh so.. really wasn't the idea of a new console that it would be EXITING. I am not exited.

kamay:
It is almost like Microsoft is trying to pull something like in The Producers. They got a bunch of old widows to invest 50% in their console and now they are doing everything they can to make it fail...minus Springtime for Hitler of course.

Mmm springtime for hitler, only for the Xbox one. I could work though certain countries, looking at you germany, would ban it out right. Still it would make a possible hit.

But yeah seriously what is Microsoft doing, Their Windows 8 is..ahum.. yeah thank you for Metro NOT! Their mobile strategy is pretty bad to. Now they bring this to the market.

Well that was refreshing. Ehrm

Is anyone having trouble with audio? When I click on the video, an ad plays--which I can hear no problem--but when the video itself plays, there is no audio. Any insights?

I don't think this decision is going to be nearly as bad as it is portrayed to be. The lack of a shovelware marketplace is hardly a dealbreaker, and it is not like they won't have indie games on the platform, the bar is just going to be set a little higher. Of course Microsoft could try to squeeze exclusivity deals or other unfair crap out of indie developers, but let us assume them innocent until we see evidence to the contrary.

Something is leading me to believe that whoever got fired at EA got hired by Microsoft. These sort of decisions are way too familiar...

And this is the point where Microsoft has gone past rock bottom and digging deep into the earth's core.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here